PDA

View Full Version : Why so much negativity?

IceHot100
11-29-2013, 06:11 PM
I have been seeing threads about "why Black Flag sucks" and so on. I have played the game and just want to share my thoughts.

Haven't properly been on the forum for quite some time now. So going back to when Black Flag announced, I was nothing but disappointed. I thought that they would leave everything, they have built up until now, behind. Pirates and Assassins didn't seem to have any connection whatsoever. Nearing the release, I heard that Edward never really becomes a "full fledged" assassin. This lead me to more disappointment. I decided that I'll not buy any AC game anymore.

I don't know why but I couldn't resist so I just went to a nearby game shop and just bought it a couple of days ago. Didn't really expect anything great from the game. The first thing I did was complete the story. This game really made me think. As I mentioned above that I couldn't quite figure out the connection between pirates and assassins. But after completing the game I really thought about it.

Throughout the story, there are lots of hints made what really Assassins and pirates have in common. And they do (atleast in this game) have a LOT in common. If I can recall it correctly, it is mentioned or atleast hinted a couple of times that Edward wants liberty, freedom a place where pirates are free and that's also why he chose to live in Nassau. Now isn't that the "goal" of Assassins?

You don't have to be an official "vittoria agli assassini" type of assassin who NEEDS to have that brand on your ring finger and live by the rules. Edward's ideology matched with the Assassin's way of thinking. This implies that he is already an assassin.

I think Ubisoft wanted to show that the game is not really about Templars vs Assassins conflict, but Control by force vs one's freedom. The said confilct is merely used as a metaphor.

So people saying that the game is light hearted and/or not an Assassin's Creed game but more of a Pirate's Creed should also take this into consideration

Apologies for any mistakes, English is not my native language.

Sushiglutton
11-29-2013, 06:34 PM
I was also very sceptical of AC4 leading up to release, but like you I changed my mind and bought it anyway. It's a great game imo. I feel like the devs have listened to a ton of our feedback. Missions are much more openended, better stealth, sidecontent built around what the game is good at and so on. It's one of the best games I've played.

So yeah I don't get all the negativity, but I suppose it's human nature to rather point out flaws than to give compliments. Overall I think the devs deserve a lot of praise for this game.

Hans684
11-29-2013, 06:34 PM
If ACIVBF is Pirate's Creed then a banker assassin(Ezio) make his games Banker's Creed or if we have a ninja, samurai, viking, cowboy ect it would be Ninja's Creed, Samurai's Creed, Viking's Creed, Cowboy's Creed.

Thayin2012
11-29-2013, 08:00 PM
I think the peopel who are so negative are the people who have been with the series through its highs (AC2) and its lows (AC3). Maybe since AC III, which was hyped up so much and had such great pre-release videos, they have been looking for a way to take out some hate on Ubisoft. I really enjoyed the game, if I'm honest.

They could also be people who prefer a different genre, and just don't want to adapt themselves to play a game they shouldn't be playing. I also think that they're complaining about minor things and blowing them up hugely. I mean, if you look at Call of Duty, not much is changed from game to game, IMO, but you don't see as much hate towards it, because it is a bigger game. I think that people who want to influence people with their hate messages feel that AC is more vulnerable due to its lower fanbase.

I don't think I explained myself well here, but hey!

LoyalACFan
11-29-2013, 08:16 PM
Yeah, I have no idea what people are complaining about. It's the best AC we've had in years, hands-down. It rights almost all the wrongs of AC3, namely by delivering side content that's fun, stealth mechanics that are functional, a protagonist with well-defined motives, and a story that's not full of inconsistencies and missing information.

Easy combat is the one complaint I've seen pretty much across the board with people who didn't enjoy it, and I can kind of see where they're coming from. But on the other hand, AC has had easy combat from the first installment six years ago. It's not intended to be a hardcore game. If you were expecting Black Flag to be any different, then it's your own fault you're disappointed. Of course, you could just refrain from upgrading the Jackdaw, and the naval combat will be hard as hell.

Gi1t
11-30-2013, 02:38 AM
It's because that's what they came here to do: talk about something they didn't like. People who really liked it mainly tell their friends and, you know, play the game. XD

People with complaints are obviously in need of something to do with that time they're not spending playing the game. :D

Savage Baird LE
11-30-2013, 03:36 AM
Forums are usually a lot more negative, but the forum community is often the minority. I really enjoyed ACIV and is the best AC to date. I have no clue how people didn't like it. I think most people on here are just caught up in the nostalgic days of AC1 and AC2.

It's alright to have a few complaints about something and that's why forums are a thing, but to say ACIV was a terrible game? That's just not true.

Also, ACIII really wasn't that bad. I do think it was the worst in the series, but still a very good game on its own.

Ignacio_796
11-30-2013, 03:36 AM
There's a lot of threads that suggest a lot of ideas to improve the game. AC IV is not a perfect game and it can be improved in many ways. If you don't like something of the game, the best you can do is complaint for Ubisoft take notice of how to do better games. It would be awesome if Ubi launch a patch to include all the good suggestions in Black Flag (like Betheshda or Rockstar do with their games).

Tully__
11-30-2013, 03:47 AM
It's because that's what they came here to do: talk about something they didn't like. People who really liked it mainly tell their friends and, you know, play the game. XD

People with complaints are obviously in need of something to do with that time they're not spending playing the game. :D

Forums are usually a lot more negative, but the forum community is often the minority. I really enjoyed ACIV and is the best AC to date. I have no clue how people didn't like it. I think most people on here are just caught up in the nostalgic days of AC1 and AC2.

It's alright to have a few complaints about something and that's why forums are a thing, but to say ACIV was a terrible game? That's just not true.

These are the case, not just with AC but with all games. Those who aren't having problems (usually the vast majority of customers) are busy playing the game. It's often only when something interferes with one's enjoyment of a product that one is motivated to contact the supplier.

The best information I can find on the 'net suggest that over half a million copies have sold already. We have only a tiny fraction of that on the forums complaining so I'd suggest Ubisoft are probably pretty happy about the game's reliability so far.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Ubisoft. Moderators are (mostly) volunteer community members and customers just like the rest of the forum participants.

Landruner
11-30-2013, 03:53 AM
I have been seeing threads about "why Black Flag sucks" and so on. I have played the game and just want to share my thoughts.

Haven't properly been on the forum for quite some time now. So going back to when Black Flag announced, I was nothing but disappointed. I thought that they would leave everything, they have built up until now, behind. Pirates and Assassins didn't seem to have any connection whatsoever. Nearing the release, I heard that Edward never really becomes a "full fledged" assassin. This lead me to more disappointment. I decided that I'll not buy any AC game anymore.

I don't know why but I couldn't resist so I just went to a nearby game shop and just bought it a couple of days ago. Didn't really expect anything great from the game. The first thing I did was complete the story. This game really made me think. As I mentioned above that I couldn't quite figure out the connection between pirates and assassins. But after completing the game I really thought about it.

Throughout the story, there are lots of hints made what really Assassins and pirates have in common. And they do (atleast in this game) have a LOT in common. If I can recall it correctly, it is mentioned or atleast hinted a couple of times that Edward wants liberty, freedom a place where pirates are free and that's also why he chose to live in Nassau. Now isn't that the "goal" of Assassins?

You don't have to be an official "vittoria agli assassini" type of assassin who NEEDS to have that brand on your ring finger and live by the rules. Edward's ideology matched with the Assassin's way of thinking. This implies that he is already an assassin.

I think Ubisoft wanted to show that the game is not really about Templars vs Assassins conflict, but Control by force vs one's freedom. The said confilct is merely used as a metaphor.

So people saying that the game is light hearted and/or not an Assassin's Creed game but more of a Pirate's Creed should also take this into consideration

Apologies for any mistakes, English is not my native language.

I think the negativity resides in the mainstream of the repetitive main mission scenario designs (You tail people a lot in AC4) and the story as well.
The general opinion or consensus is that the game does not suck for sure, and it is not a bad game, but some people and fans were hoping for nice symbiosis of the two (Pirate/Assassin) combined and it did not really take that direction -
You know sometimes negative critics are not fully negative, but some time, honest, objective and constructive.
Let say that the pirate parts of the game are the best, the rest, well, it feels a bit shallow without imagination and totally feels rushed out the door.

itsamea-mario
11-30-2013, 03:54 AM
Ask anyone. ANYONE!
I'm one of the most negative people here.
And i loved AC4.
So there.
Even Sidspyker liked it, that's saying something.
Therefore, anyone who didn't like it is stupid. FACT.

Assassin_M
11-30-2013, 04:20 AM
Ask anyone. ANYONE!
And i loved AC4.
So there.
I like this...

Gi1t
11-30-2013, 06:36 AM
Ask anyone. ANYONE!
And i loved AC4.
So there.

That was going well up until the "FACT" comment. -__- When are people going to learn to stop using the F word? :D It's an opinion; you don't have to justify it to anyone. XD You don't have to like a game just because it's great. And just because a reasonable and intelligent person doesn't like a great game doesn't suddenly disqualify it from being great. AC4 is great and it turned some very disillusioned critics into AC optimists again. It doesn't need any more credentials beyond that.

And people who experience crippling technical problems will always be negative because their product basically didn't work. Happens in pretty much every batch. They're not making it up; they're just unlucky. Don't deride them when they come on here complaining; they WANTED to be part of this fanbase and would be if their copy of the game had worked. Just leave it alone; it's not like their broken copy is infectious. XD

itsamea-mario
11-30-2013, 06:48 AM
That was going well up until the "FACT" comment. -__- When are people going to learn to stop using the F word? :D It's an opinion; you don't have to justify it to anyone. XD You don't have to like a game just because it's great. And just because a reasonable and intelligent person doesn't like a great game doesn't suddenly disqualify it from being great. AC4 is great and it turned some very disillusioned critics into AC optimists again. It doesn't need any more credentials beyond that.

And people who experience crippling technical problems will always be negative because their product basically didn't work. Happens in pretty much every batch. They're not making it up; they're just unlucky. Don't deride them when they come on here complaining; they WANTED to be part of this fanbase and would be if their copy of the game had worked. Just leave it alone; it's not like their broken copy is infectious. XD

I didn't mean it, i had to assert my negativity with an insult.
I've heard several rational reasons for people not liking AC4 and those people aren't necessarily "wrong" and their opinions are valid.
Women can't drive.

Gi1t
11-30-2013, 07:10 AM
I didn't mean it, i had to assert my negativity with an insult.
I've heard several rational reasons for people not liking AC4 and those people aren't necessarily "wrong" and their opinions are valid.
Women can't drive.

I have to admit, your sig does add a certain 'joking' quality to anything you post. :D

MadJC1986
11-30-2013, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't say there is really much negativity. Most people act like it is a perfect game without anything bad. At least in these forums....
I actually agree with most critics saying that the story could have been a lot better.

But my biggest problem with AC4 is probably the game world. Probably because I did not expect.....this....
If you ask me this is no real open world. I want one big world (Just like every other open world game does it!)
I don't like the patchwork of mostly tiny locations.

Apart from that I don't like naval gameplay that much. I surely do not hate it. But it simply is not that much fun. But I guess that is only my opinion.

And jungles are completely linear environments. That sucks....