PDA

View Full Version : Next AC topping AC 4????

egriffin09
11-28-2013, 04:27 PM
I was wondering does anyone think Ubisoft will be able to top AC IV with the next AC game?? IMO, it will be take a tremendous amount of effort, because AC IV is the biggest AC game in terms of content. I want to believe that Ubisoft can do it, I honestly don't see Ubisoft making the next AC game "bigger" than AC 4 (honestly I think AC IV is big enough with size of word and content), so I think they will have to find other ways to top AC 4 like picking the best setting that is undeniably the best setting in the AC series, having the best story in the series.

ze_topazio
11-28-2013, 04:30 PM
I surely hope so.

SixKeys
11-28-2013, 05:51 PM
I don't think so. Obviously it would be great, but I feel like AC4 is kind of the new AC2 in terms of how refreshing it feels and just how many things it got right. There's a tremendous amount of detail and meaningful content. The setting and the assassin are perfectly matched. What I mean by that is that for once it doesn't feel out-of-character to do reckless things and mess around like you should in a true open-world game. The new approach to modern-day was refreshing in this game, but will it lose its novelty in the next? They've also made two games in a row where nature plays a major part, even more so than the cities. A lot of detail went into creating lush jungles and realistic plants, but how will all that pay off in the next game? I think after the vast natural settings of the Frontier and the open sea AC fans are looking forward to sprawling, huge cities in the next instalment. This game was also able to get away with old systems like hiring courtesans, stupid AI and simplistic assassination missions, but they're getting increasingly worn out. I don't think critics and fans will be as forgiving if these continue into the next title.

Sushiglutton
11-28-2013, 06:09 PM
If I had to guess it would be no, but I obviously hope I'm wrong (I was very wrong about AC4 lol) :). For one thing I think naval just adds so much to the experience. The bombastic action is a very nice contrast to all the sneaking. The progression/economy benefits a lot. There are like real bossfights for the first time ever. It makes it easier for to include a great variety when it come to locations. Going back to just land AC will be tough (if that is what will happen). At the same time if they made another naval game it may start to feel a bit tired.

At the same time there are def things that can be improved like combat and tail/eavesdropping missions.

AssassinHMS
11-28-2013, 06:33 PM
I was wondering does anyone think Ubisoft will be able to top AC IV with the next AC game?? IMO, it will be take a tremendous amount of effort, because AC IV is the biggest AC game in terms of content. I want to believe that Ubisoft can do it, I honestly don't see Ubisoft making the next AC game "bigger" than AC 4 (honestly I think AC IV is big enough with size of word and content), so I think they will have to find other ways to top AC 4 like picking the best setting that is undeniably the best setting in the AC series, having the best story in the series.

It shouldn't be too difficult since it's not a matter of quantity (bigger world, more things to do, more action, etc.), it's a matter of quality (focus on the core mechanics for once, focus on assassin's creed themes and make the part of being an assassin more interesting). So yeah, it's pretty easy if they focus on the original concept, however, if they keep going for the biggest and most ambicious open world Uncharted with assassins and a thousand additions (like naval or underwater) yet, then it's pretty likely they will fail at surpassing AC4 BF. Just focus on the actual franchise and the games will be better.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
11-28-2013, 07:54 PM
Depends. It seems a lot of people are divided on it being a good/great AC game or being a good/great pirate game.

I haven't played it but I do know a LOT of the content does not interest me: naval things such as ship battling look very much improved and WAY better than AC3 since it's now free roam and you can board any ship once it's damaged enough, there's a bunch of animals to hunt, underwater stuff, etc. but to me, that's not what AC is about so most of my time will be spent on land and IMO not much on land has truly been changed.

The parkour has been dumbed down and made more automated which is NOT good -- the animations are SUPERB and I love that they added vaulting and it was just nice that AC3 remade the parkour animations but remember when climbing how we'd have to leap up ourselves and then press another button to grab a higher ledge? You no longer need to do that as the game just does it automatically now. It has the effect of making the player feel weightless. Playing AC3 (and AC4) back to back with Brotherhood or whatever...the animations are nicer but the feel is so much less weighty.

That said...everything else has remained largely the same: treasure chests, assassination contracts, viewpoints, notoriety and guards, random collectibles, etc. There hasn't been any menaingful changes to the formula for land-based stuff since AC2. So AC4 has a lot to do to make me interested. I'll get it once I get an Xbox One but if most of the things don't interest me on an AC level (it does look fun to be a pirate, I'm talking about it being an AC game), and the stuff that DOES interest me hasn't changed since AC2.... AC5 needs significant changes.

Make it so you only gain notoriety if you're SEEN or CAUGHT doing something. I believe it goes up even if you're never seen doing anything -- MAYBE they changed this for AC3, can't remember.
Make it so you have Notoriety with Guards and when it's high, they will come after you on sight; but also add in an Influence system with civilians so if you have a good enough reputation or influence with the civilians, they may help you escape by blocking the guards chasing you OR if it's low, they might help the guards catch you by blocking you or throwing rocks at you when you try and escape.
Give us new things to do: helping civilians in need, randomized assassination contracts so we never run out of objectives/missions to do which should be a MUST for open world games.
Let us equip and unequip items we want/don't want: unequip a crossbow/blowpipe, equip a set of armor for a mission and then unequip it after, etc.
and a bunch of ideas I've posted in other threads about future AC games.

Wolfmeister1010
11-28-2013, 08:00 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/812789-The-Future-of-AC-What-Will-AC5-Bring-Us