PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 4 and Nvidia 500 series cards

wooze
11-28-2013, 03:12 AM
Hello all. I want to buy Assassin's creed 4, but I'm worried if it has the same issue AC 3 had with Nvidia 500 series cards. The game caused the card to somehow change its voltage and that would result in a crash. I'm sorry I'm not completely sure what happens on the technical side. But, I did some research and that was the most common explanation and since I have a GTX 580 I assumed that was the problem. AC3 constantly crashed and I could never beat it, I never even got to the ship part. There was one solution and it was raising the card's voltage via an overclocking program, but I not about to risk a 300$ card for a 60$ game. I want to know if AC4 has the same issue. Thanks.

Cephsus
11-28-2013, 04:51 AM
Im on a gtx580 with 314.22 drivers (voltage 1025 if curious) and iv been playing since its pc release just fine, no crash as of yet.

Did run into some weird graphic flickering last night, figured my card was getting abit hot after several hours. Reboot game client and it was gone but really not sure what caused it tho. Could be the latest patch and my old graphic drivers (?). Either way, so fare so good.

p.s i have never heard of a game being allowed to change voltage on your system. You certain about this, it sounds kinda odd?. I remember AC3, i had to increase my voltage by 50 to play it solid, but the game itself didnt overwrite anything by itself. Black Flag i havnt had a need to increase voltage.

Siliconhobbit
11-28-2013, 06:04 AM
Im on a gtx580 with 314.22 drivers (voltage 1025 if curious) and iv been playing since its pc release just fine, no crash as of yet.

Did run into some weird graphic flickering last night, figured my card was getting abit hot after several hours. Reboot game client and it was gone but really not sure what caused it tho. Could be the latest patch and my old graphic drivers (?). Either way, so fare so good.

p.s i have never heard of a game being allowed to change voltage on your system. You certain about this, it sounds kinda odd?. I remember AC3, i had to increase my voltage by 50 to play it solid, but the game itself didnt overwrite anything by itself. Black Flag i havnt had a need to increase voltage.

I'm running with a GTX560 Ti on 314.22 drivers as well (anything above this for drivers completely screws up my system. NVIDIA problem however, still not fixed and I refuse to download new drivers).

I do not have any weird or odd crashes as of yet, however I do get massive graphic tearing and flickering after many hours of continual play. This is generally after 5-6 or more hours of straight play. When this begins happening I need to find a place to log off the game and just restart it. The problem goes away and I can continue playing.

Other then that 1 issue, I have found no other problems at all.

archav3n
11-28-2013, 06:11 AM
I'm running with a GTX560 Ti on 314.22 drivers as well (anything above this for drivers completely screws up my system. NVIDIA problem however, still not fixed and I refuse to download new drivers).

I do not have any weird or odd crashes as of yet, however I do get massive graphic tearing and flickering after many hours of continual play. This is generally after 5-6 or more hours of straight play. When this begins happening I need to find a place to log off the game and just restart it. The problem goes away and I can continue playing.

Other then that 1 issue, I have found no other problems at all.

I'm using the same card as yours and have no problem using the latest driver.

wooze
11-28-2013, 06:27 AM

I seem to remember that there was some sort of problem with the voltage on nvidia 500 cards when AC3 came out. Like I said I don't know the details and forgot most of them anyway, but I do remember the game having issues with those cards. But thanks for the replys I might consider getting it, however I do see a lot of threads about performance issues so I dunno. Thanks again.

Siliconhobbit
11-28-2013, 11:02 AM
I'm using the same card as yours and have no problem using the latest driver.

Yeah, after experiencing a multitude of problems stemming from the 322 Nvidia drivers and the Nvidia Boost program, I've rolled back the drivers and found that the 314.22 drivers are working the best for me. I've also removed the Boost program.

Qoheles
11-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Running on 560Ti, 314.22 at the moment because any driver beyond that makes my PC freeze randomly while browsing the internet.

I've run into this very weird problem -- whenever I ram another ship, or I end up taking so much damage that my screen becomes reddish, half my screen disappears and becomes BLACK.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Vogue_77
11-29-2013, 11:59 PM
GTX 560 TI, no crashes, no errors, no problems no matter of area I'm in, weather or anything else (1920x1200, normal-high settings), yes it slows a bit (barely visible) when you're firing cannons during storm but it doesn't bug me at all.

drakkar321
11-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Hello all. I want to buy Assassin's creed 4, but I'm worried if it has the same issue AC 3 had with Nvidia 500 series cards. The game caused the card to somehow change its voltage and that would result in a crash. I'm sorry I'm not completely sure what happens on the technical side. But, I did some research and that was the most common explanation and since I have a GTX 580 I assumed that was the problem. AC3 constantly crashed and I could never beat it, I never even got to the ship part. There was one solution and it was raising the card's voltage via an overclocking program, but I not about to risk a 300$ card for a 60$ game. I want to know if AC4 has the same issue. Thanks.

I did not play AC3 at launch time, but I have since played it from beginning to end on a GTX 570 with no issues. I am also playing AC4 with most of the settings maxed out, with no problems. If you do have any issues, you can take a look at the link at the bottom of my post, for some of the common issues on Nvidia cards and ways to work around them. or if you want to prevent issues. Otherwise, you should be able to run AC4 just fine with your card.

drakkar321
11-30-2013, 08:08 AM
Running on 560Ti, 314.22 at the moment because any driver beyond that makes my PC freeze randomly while browsing the internet.

I've run into this very weird problem -- whenever I ram another ship, or I end up taking so much damage that my screen becomes reddish, half my screen disappears and becomes BLACK.

Does this happen to anyone else?

This issue (browser crashing) will be fixed in the next driver release. I believe it is actually in the 331.93 beta.

Qoheles
12-01-2013, 02:02 PM
This issue (browser crashing) will be fixed in the next driver release. I believe it is actually in the 331.93 beta.

Oh I certainly hope so.

Either way, I got a new card -- 680 -- to replace the current one.