PDA

View Full Version : AC4 runs at very low resolution on my GT650M system (Windows 7 on 2012 MacBook Pro)

fotonut
11-27-2013, 09:59 PM
I have a 2012 Retina MacBook Pro running Windows 7 64 bit in bootcamp. It's a machine that has run a number of other games such as FarCry 3 and Crysis 3 just fine. It has GT650M with 1GB dedicated VRAM.

Unfortunately Assassin's Creed 4 insists on running at a very low resolution --- what seems to be 640x480. I first tried with the default Bootcamp drivers --- 306.37; then I upgraded to Nvidia's latest --- 331.82, and the same results in both cases. The graphics options panel lets me choose higher resolutions, but the game is still at that awful low resolution.

Anyone else have better luck on such a system?

Loucmachine.Joe
11-27-2013, 10:07 PM
It insist you run low res. because your gpu is not fast enough... in fact I dont think it meets Minumum requirements (recommended is for medium settings @ 30fps). Ac4 has higher ''minimum'' then FC3 and Crysis 3 and uses alot more CPU. it is more ''cpu dependant'' then other games even if it is is also as gpu ''dependant'' as other games.

And btw what cpu do you have in there ?

Oh and btw, Vram dosnt make your GPU faster

fotonut
11-27-2013, 10:16 PM
It insist you run low res. because your gpu is not fast enough... in fact I dont think it meets Minumum requirements (recommended is for medium settings @ 30fps). Ac4 has higher ''minimum'' then FC3 and Crysis 3 and uses alot more CPU. it is more ''cpu dependant'' then other games even if it is is also as gpu ''dependant'' as other games.

Oh and btw, Vram dosnt make your GPU faster

Thanks for the response!

The CPU is 2.6GHz intel core i7, which I believe is above the minimum. I realize the VRAM doesn't make the GPU faster, but I was pointing it out as a way to indicate that it beat the minimum requirements (which I think said 512MB). The minimum GPU requirement is GTX 260; the GT650M is considerably newer, so I thought it should be good enough...

mrmiktw
11-27-2013, 10:21 PM
fotonut,

Have you tried Nvidia's latest Beta drivers(331.93 BETA)? I know it improves SLI support for the game but it may also add other fixes and performances boosts for mobile GPU's.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/71201/en-uk

As part of the NVIDIA Notebook Driver Program, this is a reference driver that can be installed on supported NVIDIA notebook GPUs. However, please note that your notebook original equipment manufacturer (OEM) provides certified drivers for your specific notebook on their website. NVIDIA recommends that you check with your notebook OEM about recommended software updates for your notebook. OEMs may not provide technical support for issues that arise from the use of this driver.

Before downloading this driver:

Please check to make sure that your notebook has a supported GPU (refer to the Products Supported tab below).
It is recommended that you backup your current system configuration. Click here for instructions.

Release Summary

This new 331.93 Beta driver provides an updated SLI profile for Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag and ensures maximum performance and system stability across all titles.

New in GeForce 331.93 Beta drivers

SLI Technology
Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag updated profile

Loucmachine.Joe
11-27-2013, 10:40 PM
We would have to check benchmarks, but in the best case GT650M is equivalent to a gtx 260.
Dont forget that a ''m'' GPU is much slower than the ''non-M'' gpu with the same name.

Also since you have an i7 you probably have Hyperthread too, witch is not supported on this game unfortunately. :(

Also minimum requirements are to know if the game will open at first...

Good luck anyways man :)

fotonut
11-27-2013, 10:41 PM
fotonut,

Have you tried Nvidia's latest Beta drivers(331.93 BETA)? I know it improves SLI support for the game but it may also add other fixes and performances boosts for mobile GPU's.

Ah, thanks. That sounded promising... But I downloaded it and tried it, and it claims my hardware is unsupported (the list of supported hardware doesn't include any of the "M" cards). So for now I'm stuck at 331.82.

dtlaw
11-27-2013, 11:03 PM
Although alot of people are finding this game very demanding on their rigs your laptop is mostlikely the problem here. Mobility versions of gpus are much less powerfull than the desktop versions. Although on paper it may look like you are in the recommended specs but in reality it just wont be able to handle high res with many if any eye candy. It may have worked in previous games but with next gen here now youl prob find it can run less and less graphic intensive games from now on. Drivers can only help so much.

I tried a mates alienware laptop with bf4. It had duel gtx 760m in sli witch should easily run bf4 at max settings if they were the desktop versions. It was getting around 13-20fps with high settings.
the mobility gpus werent powerfull enough.

fotonut
11-27-2013, 11:19 PM
Although alot of people are finding this game very demanding on their rigs your laptop is mostlikely the problem here. Mobility versions of gpus are much less powerfull than the desktop versions. Although on paper it may look like you are in the recommended specs but in reality it just wont be able to handle high res with many if any eye candy. It may have worked in previous games but with next gen here now youl prob find it can run less and less graphic intensive games from now on. Drivers can only help so much.

I tried a mates alienware laptop with bf4. It had duel gtx 760m in sli witch should easily run bf4 at max settings if they were the desktop versions. It was getting around 13-20fps with high settings.
the mobility gpus werent powerfull enough.

I wish it would let me at least try the different resolutions so I could decide for myself what FPS I'm willing to tolerate... It's doing 640x480 super smoothly; I'd be willing to drop some FPS to get something like 1024x768 so I can at least read the text on the screen! Right now it's showing all sorts of resolutions, all the way up to 2880x1800, but it just runs them all at 640x480.

razmat2012
11-29-2013, 05:23 AM
my res only has the lowest option for 800 x 600. only place I recall seeing those options are in compatibility mode. like for example say if one were to right click the ACBFSP.exe and go to properties/ compatibility and select "run in 640 x 480 screen resolution".

fotonut
11-30-2013, 01:41 AM
fotonut,

Ah, I just found and installed the version of this for notebooks. Unfortunately it did not fix my issue... I do have a hard time believing 650M on a i7 system can't do better than this low resolution I'm getting.

dtlaw
11-30-2013, 03:18 AM
Ah, I just found and installed the version of this for notebooks. Unfortunately it did not fix my issue... I do have a hard time believing 650M on a i7 system can't do better than this low resolution I'm getting.

Yea it does sound like some sort of bug. Even if your hardware isnt very powerful it should still come up with the option of other resolutions including your screens native resolution.
Have you tried forcing your resolution in th ini files? I think I remember someone else posting it on these forums.

ace3001
11-30-2013, 03:52 AM

Oh and btw, Vram dosnt make your GPU fasterResolution setting does not depend on how fast your GPU is. Even if you have something terrible like a GT 610, the resolution will be what you want it to be, even if it's 1080p. Only thing is, with a slow GPU and high resolution, it'll slow to a crawl which is unplayable. However, the resolution still will be selectable. It won't go down to 640x480.

fotonut
11-30-2013, 07:27 PM
Yea it does sound like some sort of bug. Even if your hardware isnt very powerful it should still come up with the option of other resolutions including your screens native resolution.
Have you tried forcing your resolution in th ini files? I think I remember someone else posting it on these forums.

I will definitely try it! Anyone have a pointer to how to go about this? I searched around but couldn't find relevant info.

dtlaw
12-01-2013, 03:23 AM
I will definitely try it! Anyone have a pointer to how to go about this? I searched around but couldn't find relevant info.

I found this on a steam forum.

suggestion I found was to search for a folder called "Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag" in your "My Documents" folder. inside there should be a file called "Assassins4.ini". edit the lines that says "DisplayWidth=X DisplayHeight=Y".*set X and Y to the wanted resolution and save the file.

fotonut
12-02-2013, 01:19 AM
I found this on a steam forum.

suggestion I found was to search for a folder called "Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag" in your "My Documents" folder. inside there should be a file called "Assassins4.ini". edit the lines that says "DisplayWidth=X DisplayHeight=Y".*set X and Y to the wanted resolution and save the file.

Thanks for digging this up! I tried this with a number of reasonable values, and unfortunately it didn't help. In fact the DisplayWidth and DisplayHeight fields get changed to whatever you set your resolution to in the app anyway.

I do have a query out to Ubisoft as well but haven't heard back yet.

joedreamliner78
12-02-2013, 02:58 AM
I can tell you guys for my laptop I am using an Asus G75VX Windows 8.1 GeForce GTX 670MX and I have 0 problems and running most settings on high at great FPS. Anything I have thrown at this laptop it runs perfectly. For my desktop pc: HAF Case, Radeon 7970, i7 2600K overclocked at 4.6GHZ liquid cooled 32 GB ram (Vengeance) also runs the game 100%

Loucmachine.Joe
12-02-2013, 05:48 AM
Resolution setting does not depend on how fast your GPU is. Even if you have something terrible like a GT 610, the resolution will be what you want it to be, even if it's 1080p. Only thing is, with a slow GPU and high resolution, it'll slow to a crawl which is unplayable. However, the resolution still will be selectable. It won't go down to 640x480.

I know all that,
But this game is made ''dumb proof'' and will choose settings for you if it finds your system is not fast enough to support the settings you asked. (We are not talking about ''under 30 fps'' here.)
I this the OP case, the game wont let him choose higher res cuz everything would go choppy as hell, and choosing 1080p for example could crash the game.

fotonut
12-05-2013, 02:36 AM
I have a 2012 Retina MacBook Pro running Windows 7 64 bit in bootcamp. It's a machine that has run a number of other games such as FarCry 3 and Crysis 3 just fine. It has GT650M with 1GB dedicated VRAM.

Unfortunately Assassin's Creed 4 insists on running at a very low resolution --- what seems to be 640x480. I first tried with the default Bootcamp drivers --- 306.37; then I upgraded to Nvidia's latest --- 331.82, and the same results in both cases. The graphics options panel lets me choose higher resolutions, but the game is still at that awful low resolution.

Anyone else have better luck on such a system?

Thanks to a reply on the Apple Support Communities, the problem is solved --- changing the font size in settings (in Windows) to 100% fixes the problem. Since this machine has a pretty high resolution display (about 220 dpi), I had the font size set to 150%, and apparently AC4 doesn't like that.

With the font size at 100%, the game seems to work fine, even at 1080p.

Kratoa92
02-25-2014, 10:58 PM
Thanks to a reply on the Apple Support Communities, the problem is solved --- changing the font size in settings (in Windows) to 100% fixes the problem. Since this machine has a pretty high resolution display (about 220 dpi), I had the font size set to 150%, and apparently AC4 doesn't like that.

With the font size at 100%, the game seems to work fine, even at 1080p.

Can you explain that a little more actually? I have an Acer version of probably near the same laptop as you. i7 gt 650m card. Played the game on launch for nearly 48 hours at high res then on the fourth day would never load but on low res. Haven't been able to find a fix, but don't get your font size thing since my laptop is windows 8 I don't get the % just normal size numbers. 1 to whichever, like on Word, current being 10.