PDA

View Full Version : Initiates was a bad idea

SixKeys
11-27-2013, 03:07 PM
I understand that the Initiates team are working hard on the site, and in concept it may not have been a bad idea to get the community more involved. But in practice it's turned out to be a mess. Almost nothing works 100% of the time for 100% of the users. I've never heard of any other website where that is the case. Some people aren't getting XP, some can't unlock their exclusive content, many missions are bugged, the site is often down so nobody can access it, log-in problems, etc. Even after issues are supposedly fixed, I'm constantly seeing users report they're still not getting their progress rewards.

In my opinion it was bad idea to lock actual in-game content (outfits, sails etc.) behind a website that doesn't work 99% of the time. That's just unheard of. I was willing to give it a chance when I knew they were still in pre-alpha stage, but now the game has been out for over a month and still nothing works the way it should, it just gives off a very unprofessional vibe.

I would post this feedback on the Initiates site itself, but the site is not loading currently. Of course. :rolleyes:

SpiritMuse
11-27-2013, 03:30 PM
Really? I have no problems loading the site. Ever. And you do realize the site is actually still in development, yes?

A lot of these bugs you're talking about didn't start to happen until they opened it up to the general public. So technically you could say we're the ones responsible for breaking it. ;) I personally don't have too much trouble with the XP bugs as I had earned enough in the closed alpha already to be able to unlock the in-game rewards, but I definitely get how frustrating it is to sit at level 1 and look at the rewards you should have access to but don't because of a bug. It's been suggested that they temporarily lower the level requirement for the in-game stuff to 1, but I don't know if they're taking that on board, or if it's even feasible.

I do think it was a mistake of the marketing department to start hyping the site so much so soon. (although software marketing departments often start selling stuff before it's finished - or even started in some cases!)

SenseHomunculus
11-27-2013, 04:13 PM
There's a difference between a "bad idea" and bad implementation. (Hello, healthcare.gov!) I enjoy using the site and it works pretty much all time for me. I log in at least every other day. Maybe I'm just lucky and catch it when it's up-and-running??

imakuni
11-27-2013, 04:39 PM
I always lose my XP, therefore I can't claim my rewards...

Shahkulu101
11-27-2013, 04:44 PM
I'm not having any issues, I like my govenors and explorers outfits and they were a nice surprise as I had no idea I unlocked them. Weirdly, I was offline for like a week, went online to get the fleet treasure maps and seen that I was awarded with the explorer outfit - don't know how they tracked it but it was pretty cool that I inadvertently completed the challenge.

pacmanate
11-27-2013, 05:31 PM
And you do realize the site is actually still in development, yes?

THIS IS THE DAMN PROBLEM.

Why release something still in development and have it play quiet a big role in the game?! The thing is a broken PoS in my opinion. For some reason it can't add up XP points which is just beyond. It is utter ****e and should just be done with.

DetroitPlaya
11-27-2013, 05:35 PM
The only thing that pisses me off about Initiates, is that in order to get a 100% database in AC IV: BF- you need to use Initiates... Which is in ALPHA.

._.

pacmanate
11-27-2013, 05:37 PM
The only thing that pisses me off about Initiates, is that in order to get a 100% database in AC IV: BF- you need to use Initiates... Which is in ALPHA.

._.

What pisses ME off is that when it was in Beta/Alpha/whatever the ****, it didn't test out its addition skills! SERIOUSLY.

DetroitPlaya
11-27-2013, 05:44 PM
What pisses ME off is that when it was in Beta/Alpha/whatever the ****, it didn't test out its addition skills! SERIOUSLY.

The issue really that it is in Alpha.

Never should I have issues with my game, because some site they decide to link it to is in alpha. AC franchise has many completionists, so the fact that the "Maid of Amsterdam" sea shanty counts for 2% in the database in AC IV: BF is insane.

Disappointed, and I feel they should say "Okay, you get the exclusives simply my signing up since it's in alpha." Would still require the site's use, but not rely on it's features which aren't even complete.

dex3108
11-27-2013, 06:02 PM
ACI is in open alpha because there is no way to test system that is meant to be for millions fans without open alpha. Almost everything worked first few days of open Alpha but more and more people were coming and system showed where flaws are. Same thing is with GTA Online and their problems.

Bastiaen
11-27-2013, 06:09 PM
My Problem is that the action figure codes don't allow unlock for next gen consoles, only current gen. I kinda feel like they should have said something about that.

Landruner
11-27-2013, 06:12 PM
The AC Initiate had been created more than year ago in 2012 before the release of AC3, I believe - It went from Alpha to Beta and now it is Alpha again (?) sort of? I don't really get it now?

It works 80% of the time for me on the Box, but my kids had issues with their PS3, I don't know what exactly is the problem is, but the synch does not work for them (?).

I also understand now that for most users it is a problem of XP that does not progress, which prevents some users from getting their in game goodies and rewards - however; the progressive XP is added to the Uplay account attached to the website and update the progression, and when that problem will be fixed the contents and reward should appear in game or on the site - ;)

Anyway & basically after one more than year and 2 games later, the site should have been fixed months ago. :mad:

I agree with DetroitPlaya above, knowing that they have issues with that site, they should unlock all the exclusives upon signature on that Site as a fair move to their fans and customers.

LoyalACFan
11-27-2013, 06:55 PM
I have never even tried to log onto Initiates. What exactly am I missing in terms of content? Outfits, weapons, substantial stuff? Or just database entries and stuff?

DetroitPlaya
11-27-2013, 06:58 PM
I have never even tried to log onto Initiates. What exactly am I missing in terms of content? Outfits, weapons, substantial stuff? Or just database entries and stuff?

Two sails and a shanty.

The sails
https://d3g2nk6vkhinf0.cloudfront.net/content-data/2013/10/overview_ulc_ac4bf_L.jpg

The shanty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzRXS6pTNZg

LoyalACFan
11-27-2013, 07:04 PM
Two sails and a shanty.

The sails
https://d3g2nk6vkhinf0.cloudfront.net/content-data/2013/10/overview_ulc_ac4bf_L.jpg

The shanty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzRXS6pTNZg

Okay, thanks. I don't think I'll bother with it then, since it's evidently something of a hassle. Not worth it for two sails and a shanty I don't even really like.

DetroitPlaya
11-27-2013, 07:08 PM
I just want the shanty to get 100% in the database, but yeah - it's a bloody hassle.

You get them by level 3 (5,000 XP - which means beating two AC games), but most (incl. me) have the bug where the XP is stuck at 500.

pacmanate
11-27-2013, 07:12 PM
I thought there were missions at higher levels?