PDA

View Full Version : I'm just voicing my opinion here so......

Rogue Agent 035
11-27-2013, 07:37 AM
Be kind ;) Anyway..., I'm currently on seq. 6 an just finished the first memory with the diving bell. An while the underwater segments are cool an beautiful, those had to be the stupidest parts in the game so far, period. I mean you have no armor, no indicator as to where the hazzards are coming from other than either a red or yellow "bubble" letting you know when/if an attack will happen (mostly when) an swimming fast is out of the question almost. The swimming controls are a joke. Please..., I'm beggin as a big fan of all AC's "Please leave that out in AC5" :). I will get down off my soapbox an return you to your regular forum

Rogue Agent 035

pacmanate
11-27-2013, 07:51 AM
I loved the underwater segments.

You dont like them cause you get no armor? I don't get it.

phoenix-force411
11-27-2013, 08:00 AM
Turn on Eagle vision in the water with a lot of hazards around. Scary 'nuff? Just wait till you go to the underwater location called "The Blue Hole".

You don't get to put on anything, because that would tire out Edward if he were to wear heavy gear.

Rogue Agent 035
11-27-2013, 09:41 AM
I loved the underwater segments.

You dont like them cause you get no armor? I don't get it.

By no means... gosh no, let me rephrase..., I am enjoying the underwater stuff, BUT...., there are problems. Especially when you have assassins contract (only 2) an they offer you more for staying out of combat, yet they basically tie your hands by taking away really the only item that keeps you out of combat. I've went through every contract where "Staying out of combat" was an option an got the bonus just by hitting them with a berserker dart an having a red kill them for me essentially keeping my hands clean. Then I get to the underwater contracts (only done 1 underwater so far) only to learn that..., "Oh btw..., we won't give any help, but we will give you a bonus for taking out the target with basically a loud weapon (sword which almost always requires open combat) an guards swarming the place. Outside of that..., I felt that certain areas were too dark an the swimming controls seemed clunky. Outside of those items I just described.,..., I love AC4, an yes...., will stick with the underwater section till complete as I'm a freak when I'm so close to 100% only to see that those sections were standing in my way :)

Rogue Agent 035

ProletariatPleb
11-27-2013, 09:55 AM
I don't like them. I only went there to get the upgrade plans...NEVER AGAIN. Sharks are scary ._.

AngryRaisin
11-27-2013, 10:26 AM
They take some getting used to, just like any video game. Think back to your first experiences with AC—did you love everything at first or did it seem too hard and frustrating but then you figured out strategies and techniques so it became fun?

Kagurra
11-27-2013, 10:51 AM
Yeah... they're just basically collectable hunts. The sharks are scary, but then as soon as one actually bites you, you're like "Oh, that only did like 20% damage. Who cares?" and you stop being scared. Especially when the air barrels refill health.

The sharks in Far Cry 3 where a lot scarier when you went underwater to get something. That game actually made me shriek a few times. Once while looking for a Tapir. It was a funny story actually. I was talking to one of my friends in party chat about how I haven't seen any crocodiles yet, and then the Tapir I was chasing dissapears and I hear a big spash, so I turn around and there's a river. I go near to see what happened and the croc jumped on me... aaand I screamed.

Landruner
11-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Be kind ;) Anyway..., I'm currently on seq. 6 an just finished the first memory with the diving bell. An while the underwater segments are cool an beautiful, those had to be the stupidest parts in the game so far, period. I mean you have no armor, no indicator as to where the hazzards are coming from other than either a red or yellow "bubble" letting you know when/if an attack will happen (mostly when) an swimming fast is out of the question almost. The swimming controls are a joke. Please..., I'm beggin as a big fan of all AC's "Please leave that out in AC5" :). I will get down off my soapbox an return you to your regular forum
Rogue Agent 035

Lol...Soapbox:p...may be they could improve it instead of removing it - I personally liked those underwater segment, they were claustrophobic and actually very well done - I know underwater control was loose sometime and not always easier to maneuver, but this is underwater after all. :D

DarktheMagister
11-27-2013, 11:47 AM
I hate to sound lame... but I'd like the underwater stuff even more... if there was a reason to revisit diving spots. For example if I could "hunt" there, for sea creatures or pearls which I could then sell to merchants. OR if they would have "diving reefs" where it was a large area full of small caves and life and what not, instead of just these one time through mazes. OR if each diving zone lead to a smuggler cave as I previously assumed and the smuggler chests reset every now and then. It would make farming them a bit more worthwhile.

xCHEMISTx
11-27-2013, 11:57 AM
At least they gave us an option it dive underwater it would of been silly to have all this beautiful Caribbean turquoise water and no place to dive underwater in it.

DarktheMagister
11-27-2013, 08:05 PM
True. Although I'd have really liked it if I could dive under ships and come out the other side.

Wolfmeister1010
11-27-2013, 08:21 PM
People ***** because the game is too easy, people ***** because the game is too difficult.

It is never enough for us is it

Shahkulu101
11-27-2013, 08:22 PM
I don't like them. I only went there to get the upgrade plans...NEVER AGAIN. Sharks are scary ._.

Casual peasant.

RoBg03
11-27-2013, 09:08 PM

this is how i felt about them. i did the ones i had to for contracts/upgrades and just visited a couple to get the fast travel locale..its a real pain to search for openings in a ship with the tricky controls, and if you're mopping up at the end of the game, its just not worth the frustration for a chest with 200 R in it. and if the sharks want to get you they will, hiding in the seaweed is a joke as its ussually nowhere nearby, and you have limited air. i didn't mind the smugglers caves so much, as there was less swimming, but i can do without the ship wrecks.

xCHEMISTx
11-27-2013, 09:25 PM
I did all the underwater dives 100% and must of died to sharks about 10 times. Wish I could at least have a gun and shoot them.

SleezeRocker
11-27-2013, 09:29 PM
In a way I was expecting Shark's to do 1 hit/Bite death but...then I remembered, in AC you don't get 1 hit deaths , you deliver 1 hit deaths.....most times :P

Anyways, im sure Shark's would be scarier if they came at you like this and desynced you:
http://www.blirk.net/wallpapers/1024x768/scary-shark-photos-1.jpg

Shahkulu101
11-27-2013, 09:38 PM
It was kind of silly how many sharks were actually there though, sometimes like a dozen or more. Also, sharks don't viciously attack humans in real life unless aggravated - so it felt kid of cheap they would come flying at you when your 50 yards away. What would interesting is that if you drew blood from jellyfish(lawl), sea urchins or moray eels (virtually impossible not to haha) THEN the sharks actively seek you out by sniffing your blood - immersion people! However, I think it would be best they still attack when you get TOO close.

Savage Baird LE
11-27-2013, 09:40 PM
The sharks are VERY annoying. Anybody know if the Hunter outfit reduces their detection range?

Megas_Doux
11-27-2013, 09:46 PM
People ***** because the game is too easy, people ***** because the game is too difficult.

AC fanbase.......

xCHEMISTx
11-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Anybody know if the Hunter outfit reduces their detection range?

You can't wear outfits underwater I'm pretty sure. Edward automatically just goes into skimpy gear like he does when harpooning.

Sushiglutton
11-27-2013, 09:55 PM
To me the underwater segments were the least enjoyable part of the game and a pretty big disapointment tbh.

First off I think they were visually really meh. I was hoping for an explosion of colors and various interesting layouts and animal life. Instead the areas were very bleak and just kind of dull to explore. The seaweed looks generic compared to the rich foliage on land. I don't care if this is more realistic, they should have gone for the aquarium feel anyway imo. Then we have the sharks. They are everywhere harassing me. That "you have been discovered sound" beeps all the time and when I'm caught it's an unexciting QTE moment.

I think they should have focused the underwater much more around exploration instead of stealth. Build a really beautiful and detailed enviorment that the player wants to just be in. Have a dangerous animal show up every now and then, but for the most part you should be allowed to explore as long as you had air in your lungs.

That is true I suppose :). To defend myself I would say the following: I think the game should be challenging when it comes to core things like combat, stealth and naval. But at other times it's ok when it's just an experience. For the underwater I think the latter would have been a much better approach.

Make the underwater like a peaceful exploration segment deep below all the explosions and massacres on the surface. Let the player just swim around, observe, hunt some non dangerous fishes with a harpoon, pick some oysters, find treasures and rare poisons. Add some relaxing ambient music. It would have been a nice contrast to the other content, especially now that the tombs are gone.

Shahkulu101
11-27-2013, 10:00 PM
To me the underwater segments were the least enjoyable part of the game and a pretty big disapointment tbh.

First off I think they were visually really meh. I was hoping for an explosion of colors and various interesting layouts and animal life. Instead the areas were very bleak and just kind of dull to explore. The seaweed looks generic compared to the rich foliage on land. I don't care if this is more realistic, they should have gone for the aquarium feel anyway imo. Then we have the sharks. They are everywhere harassing me. That "you have been discovered sound" beeps all the time and when I'm caught it's an unexciting QTE moment.

I think they should have focused the underwater much more around exploration instead of stealth. Build a really beautiful and detailed enviorment that the player wants to just be in. Have a dangerous animal show up every now and then, but for the most part you should be allowed to explore as long as you had air in your lungs.

Completely agree, was going to say I wish it focussed more on exploration but I was scared of "HAHA LOL noob cnt evoiyd sharkz"

Sushiglutton
11-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Completely agree, was going to say I wish it focussed more on exploration but I was scared of "HAHA LOL noob cnt evoiyd sharkz"

Yeah game forums can be pretty stupid like that :p.

This is precisely what I liked about the tombs in AC2, in particular the ones with no guards. There was no challenge at all, you could just casually explore them at your leisure. Very relaxing and enjoyable and as long as there are beautiful things to observe it doesn't become boring.

Shahkulu101
11-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Yeah game forums can be pretty stupid like that :p.

This is precisely what I liked about the tombs in AC2, in particular the ones with no guards. There was no challenge at all, you could just casually explore them at your leisure. Very relaxing and enjoyable and as long as there are beautiful things to observe it doesn't become boring.

Well, AC2 being my first game PS3 barring Fifa, and me being like...14 or something. I found those pretty challenging actually. :p Especially the timed ones, wooo they were intense.

It's all a breeze now, sadly.

Savage Baird LE
11-27-2013, 10:58 PM
You can't wear outfits underwater I'm pretty sure. Edward automatically just goes into skimpy gear like he does when harpooning.
I know that, but I wasn't sure if it still somehow gave you the bonus or not.

Syr.Jake
11-28-2013, 12:04 AM
The only thing I kept thinking during the underwater shipwrecks is "no freaking knife!!!!".

Almost every diver takes a knife with them.

Edward has plenty of space on his clothing to tuck a knife into his waistband of his pants.

Not to mention that in those areas where there are underwater tunnels that lead to caverns with platforms, you can attack and loot the NPC's, but congrats, you looted a waterlogged smokebomb that isn't going to work.

The axe special attack reminds me of Jason Vorhees.

ace3001
11-28-2013, 04:59 AM
I went in for the collectibles and never looked back. Such a shame. Some of them really looked good, but there was no time to look around and take in the sights, cause SHARKS SHARKS EVERYWHERE. Now I'm no marine biologist, but I'm sure you won't find so many sharks around every single shipwreck in the sea. These wrecks were shark-infested to an unnaturally high level, and that took away most of the joy of diving and turned hunting for collectibles into a frustrating chore.

MnemonicSyntax
11-28-2013, 05:03 AM
The only thing I kept thinking during the underwater shipwrecks is "no freaking knife!!!!".

Almost every diver takes a knife with them.

Edward has plenty of space on his clothing to tuck a knife into his waistband of his pants.

Not to mention that in those areas where there are underwater tunnels that lead to caverns with platforms, you can attack and loot the NPC's, but congrats, you looted a waterlogged smokebomb that isn't going to work.

The axe special attack reminds me of Jason Vorhees.

You do get a knife. If you have one from an Agile, you can take it with you.

You cannot use it underwater, but it's handy when you go up to a Smuggler's Cave.

ace3001
11-28-2013, 05:42 AM
You do get a knife. If you have one from an Agile, you can take it with you.

You cannot use it underwater, but it's handy when you go up to a Smuggler's Cave.

The whole point is the inability to use one underwater, though. Inside the smuggler's cave you can just steal any weapons you want.
It's kind of silly that Edward just dives into heavily shark-infested waters without even a knife on him.

MnemonicSyntax
11-28-2013, 09:58 AM
I've said this in other threads of a similar topic, but using a knife underwater isn't all that efficient. For divers, it's primarily used to cut rope, or in an emergency situation. What would honestly be better is a spear of some sort, but even then a shark can and will get through most anything.

So I can see why they didn't include it. My brother is a EOD Tech and has had classes on underwater combat. It's not as simple as it sounds.

But I do admit, something is needed. Something.

SixKeys
11-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Why would Edward wear an outfit while diving? Who goes swimming with their clothes on? :confused:

Visually the underwater segments are nice, but the controls are a pain. I hate that I can't even look around when I get swept up by one of those wind tunnels yet the game keeps telling me "try to avoid obstacles". How the heck am I supposed to avoid anything if I can't turn the camera?? If they only would have improved the controls, the underwater segments would have been great. I like that for once you feel truly vulnerable in an AC game with those sharks.

SpiritMuse
11-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Where do you want to look for obstacles other than in the direction you're going? The camera showed me all I needed to know.

I do agree the controls are very finicky. So many times have I gotten stuck in a corner because I couldn't quite figure out how to turn Edward around. And the sharks are so annoying, so glad that those air barrels also restore health, as it doesn't regenerate underwater like in the rest of the game. It also helped when I discovered you can get a speed boost by swimming past a beam (for instance the yard arm of a sunken ship).

I did like the smugglers caves though. I liked the idea of showing up completely unexpected in a place they thought themselves completely safe and hidden and then start stealing their stuff. :) I also enjoyed imagining the surprise of my crew: "Wait, did the captain just come out of that cave up there? I thought we'd left him under the water!" :D