PDA

View Full Version : Does AC4 push Open Conflict too much?

Thayin2012
11-27-2013, 06:13 AM
Playing through the game, I definitely noticed the fact that Ubisoft gave us the option to either use stealth or go in guns blazing, which I think is a very good system. I think that Assassin's Creed is supposed to be a game about stealth, where you blend in with a crowd, quietly stab someone with your hidden blade, and then melt back into the crowd before anyone has a chance to notice you. I remember how encouraged you were to do that by AC2, when fighting was actually challenging and when there was a big group of guards around you, you didn't want to start a fight.

I also think that the blowpipe makes the game too easy. I really like it, and enjoy using it, but it makes it so easy to use a sleep dart on a sniper, run across some open ground and continue with your mission, but it sort of removes the strategy part of the game where you have to watch the movements of the guards, and make your run at the right time, instead of upgrading your dart pouches, spamming sleep darts and running around with being impeded. I think it lessens the challenge of the game.

I know that people are going to say that AC is supposed to be open to any play style, but in my opinion it should be easier to use stealth than open conflict, as it is after all a historical, open world stealth game.

ExtremeOutsider
11-27-2013, 02:38 PM
AC 4 is a open world game. Open world means all game play styles are permitted as a way to play the game . There are tools in the game for you to be stealthy if you wish to be and its called Stalking zones and hidden blades . The Blow pipe is a weapon a player can use if one wants to .

SpiritMuse
11-27-2013, 03:13 PM
You're not forced to use the sleep dart, you know. If you think it makes it too easy, then don't. I personally used it mostly for the annoying tower snipers that would somehow always see you.

But stealth can be pretty finicky in this game. I remember there was one mission where I had to get a key from a guard and I would get spotted no matter what I did, so eventually I just gave up and slaughtered my way through the guards until I got to the one with the key and then looted it from his dead body.

DynaRider
11-27-2013, 04:21 PM
Being completely stealthy and avoiding combat requires a lot of patience, planning and using a specialized weapon such as a sleep dart. You may have to remain in a hiding spot for awhile to observe whats going on around you and deciding which path to take. Sometimes it's hard to spot an approaching guard and the tower guards must have telescopic xray vision. I think it's all part of the fun of playing this game and of course there will always be times when it just doesn't work and you have to fight. The tailing missions though are a different situation since you can't remain stationary for very long or you lose your target. You just have to think fast.

Thayin2012
11-27-2013, 04:43 PM
I definitely agree with all of you, but I still think that my point has some validity. It is supposed to be by nature a stealth game. That is what Assassin's are about. Not contesting it, just my opinion.
But I do feel disappointed with myself when I have to kill everyone and get noticed to complete an objective. It just feels better to me if I do it stealthily.

Shahkulu101
11-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Don't know what you're on about, almost every mission and side mission is designed with stealth in mind. Infact, the mission paths favour a stealth approach!

If you think the blowpipe is OP, then I suggest you don't use it or us it sporadically. Playing this way requires patience, analysis of guard patterns etc...

Thayin2012
11-28-2013, 05:40 AM
Ok, guys. I forfeit. But I think if you could see into my head, you would understand what I mean better, as I'm bad at explaining.