PDA

View Full Version : Combat Animations

Wolfmeister1010
11-27-2013, 02:33 AM
Recently, I have been thinking about the combat situation in AC, and I realized that some of the issues people have with combat are with the kill animations of the weapons. And I am not talking about the length of the animation, (although this has an effect as well) I am talking about the quality of the animation. For example, I really do not like fighting with the double swords, because the animations are very chunky and disjointed to me. 4 of them belong with the tomahawk, and look very very bad with the double swords. The animations are very clunky in general and even though it doest affect the gameplay, it makes combat annoying to me. However, I LOVE the animations of then hidden blades and especially the single sword, so combat is actually quite more fun for me with them.

Am I the only one who thinks this?

On a different note, do you think it would be too much to ask for the ability to sheath single swords or switch out double swords for single swords?

phoenix-force411
11-27-2013, 03:58 AM
Hidden Blades and Double Swords are cool in ACIV, but some of their streak and counter kill animations are ridiculously long. The Pistol swords suffer from an even longer animation.
In my opinion, Single swords kill the fastest and I can actually kill with them faster and more fluidly.

MaceoniK
11-27-2013, 06:07 AM
They could of made the double swords (duel cutlasses) such much better, some of the animations look a bit rough and some have been badly recycled from AC III tomahawk kills... I prefer single sword.

Imo, it's like they took the best thing about the last game (weapons and kill animations) and made it one of the worst things about this one, for instance - when you want to perform a standing high profile kill on unsuspecting guards, with the double swords it does the same crappy double swipe/slash type animation, whether there facing you or not, whereas in ACIII if you did the same, each weapon had maybe two animations for when a guard was facing you and a different one for when he had his back to you. It just seems like there's much less variation of kill animations (in a non-combat situation) in AC IV.

pacmanate
11-27-2013, 06:20 AM
You sure do make a lot of threads

shobhit7777777
11-27-2013, 08:17 AM
None TBH

I miss the Ezio era kills when one or two stabs/slashes would do it. Edward just goes on and on and on and on and on....till a point where I go: "Dude..just stop...he is dead..thats a corpse you're hacking. Maybe kill his friend over the- No?...Oh you want to stab him some more? ok...*sigh*"

ProletariatPleb
11-27-2013, 08:35 AM
None TBH

I miss the Ezio era kills when one or two stabs/slashes would do it. Edward just goes on and on and on and on and on....till a point where I go: "Dude..just stop...he is dead..thats a corpse you're hacking. Maybe kill his friend over the- No?...Oh you want to stab him some more? ok...*sigh*"
Been a while mate :p

Yeah pretty much, the only thing that annoys me is the ******* length.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
11-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Wait...I thought you had to use dual swords once you got them...can you use just a single sword..?

Kagurra
11-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Wait...I thought you had to use dual swords once you got them...can you use just a single sword..?

No, you just take them from enemies.

Also, to Maceonik, there aren't actually any reused tomahawk animations that I've seen. Yes, some look similar like the throat slit double sword one, but it's different. The starting kick of the animation is reused but not the whole part.

shobhit7777777
11-27-2013, 09:41 AM
Been a while mate :p

Yeah pretty much, the only thing that annoys me is the ******* length.

;)

Thankfully I prefer to stay covert or run away...so I mostly avoid the combat

The social stealth mechanics are quiet robust...from blending to evasion. Not bad.

MaceoniK
11-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Also, to Maceonik, there aren't actually any reused tomahawk animations that I've seen. Yes, some look similar like the throat slit double sword one, but it's different. The starting kick of the animation is reused but not the whole part.

When I said recycled, I didn't mean completely reused, the word I should of used is adapted... the point is you can tell, and it looks clunky and unpolished imo. Double swords was a good idea that could of been done a lot better, and why they didn't include the option to chose whether you want two swords or one while also stopping the option of carrying a secondary weapon like blunt, small or heavy weapons is beyond me.

AC IV is a much better overall game than AC III, but Connor is a much better character to control than Edward.

Kagurra
11-27-2013, 10:20 AM
When I said recycled, I didn't mean completely reused, the word I should of used is adapted... the point is you can tell, and it looks clunky and unpolished imo. Double swords was a good idea that could of been done a lot better, and why they didn't include the option to chose whether you want two swords or one while also stopping the option of carrying a secondary weapon like blunt, small or heavy weapons is beyond me.

AC IV is a much better overall game than AC III, but Connor is a much better character to control than Edward.

As far as the double swords looking clunky and weird, if you use cutlasses or the pirate scimitars, my favorite, it looks a lot better. The slashing/smashing animations aren't made for the rapiers which are half the swords in the game. I've rarely used the single sword, but when I have it does have very quick and satisfying animations that seem like they get down to business real quick. I don't miss being able to sheath heavy weapons though.

MaceoniK
11-27-2013, 10:40 AM
As far as the double swords looking clunky and weird, if you use cutlasses or the pirate scimitars, my favorite, it looks a lot better. The slashing/smashing animations aren't made for the rapiers which are half the swords in the game. I've rarely used the single sword, but when I have it does have very quick and satisfying animations that seem like they get down to business real quick. I don't miss being able to sheath heavy weapons though.

Ok that's your opinion about the animations and you say you don't miss heavy weapons, but got to admit, one of the best things about all the previous games is the pure variety and choice you have with the different weapon types, whereas with Edward you are literally stuck with dual swords, just seems kind of restrictive in comparison, don't you think?

Kagurra
11-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Ok that's your opinion about the animations and you say you don't miss heavy weapons, but got to admit, one of the best things about all the previous games is the pure variety and choice you have with the different weapon types, whereas with Edward you are literally stuck with dual swords, just seems kind of restrictive in comparison, don't you think?

It is a bit restricting, but not because they took away heavy weapons. That replaced your sword anyways, it's because they took away the dagger. If you could have one short blade like in AC1/2 it would drastically improve things.

MaceoniK
11-27-2013, 11:02 AM
It is a bit restricting, but not because they took away heavy weapons. That replaced your sword anyways, it's because they took away the dagger. If you could have one short blade like in AC1/2 it would drastically improve things.

Maybe in your case it's not restricting that they took away heavy weapons (because of your apparent distaste for them), but a lot of people would of liked the option. All the animations are there for one sword and heavy weapon kills, so why not give us the choice???... just seems silly.

Kagurra
11-27-2013, 11:20 AM
All the animations are there for one sword and heavy weapon kills, so why not give us the choice???... just seems silly.

That I do not know. I guess they couldn't find a way to have both the dual swords and single swords, and since AC isn't keen on letting you remove/pick what weapons you want and don't want to have on you, they don't have a system to swap out one set of weapons for another.

Landruner
11-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Maybe in your case it's not restricting that they took away heavy weapons (because of your apparent distaste for them), but a lot of people would of liked the option. All the animations are there for one sword and heavy weapon kills, so why not give us the choice???... just seems silly.

I never understood why they don't leave the option for the players to choose their weapons? Trust me a lot of people tried to convince them to do that since years now.

MaceoniK
11-27-2013, 11:50 AM
That I do not know.

Don't worry I wasn't specifically asking. lol

I guess they couldn't find a way to have both the dual swords and single swords, and since AC isn't keen on letting you remove/pick what weapons you want and don't want to have on you, they don't have a system to swap out one set of weapons for another.

I have no idea how this would work from a technical stand point but, put simply... if they could patch in a way to completely disarm the dual swords, so that you can then sheath enemy weapons, I think that would be a decent compromise.

MaceoniK
11-27-2013, 11:55 AM
I never understood why they don't leave the option for the players to choose their weapons? Trust me a lot of people tried to convince them to do that since years now.

Yeah, I think there was similar issues with Ezio's armour as well.