PDA

View Full Version : Petition (sort of): Include difficulty settings for future AC games!

sanceman
11-27-2013, 02:24 AM
Hi everyone!

There's an issue to fix in the AC series: the difficulty. Playing these games (especially while in combat) is ridiculously easy. I really hoped that by the time gamers finished 5 AC games Ubi will react to most people getting used to AC's mechanics and being able to complete the games real easy but sadly difficulty was never adjusted accordingly. It really boggles my mind how accessible the AC games are especially since AC3 where controls became very precise and reactive yet there is no gameplay to be found to back this up. As a result the games become more and more easy, and boring because of this.

I have no problem with a game being easy but as a pretty hardcore gamer I don't like if a game is not letting me to choose if I want to have an easy or a challenging experience. In my opinion higher difficulty settings can add much to a video game: a challenge always makes the experience more rewarding and the choice to replay the game on tougher settings adds a great amount of replay value. As a great example we have Arkham City and Arkham Origins: there you have 3 difficulty settings from the start and a New Game Plus mode that adds tough enemy configurations to combat and stealth.

So please Ubi, next time focus more on adding a challenge for those who want it. Also please accept the fact that most gamers are not mentally challenged: add some good puzzles to the linear platforming segments because since AC Revelations the focus from those shifted to setpieces. I don't mind if I have to stop sometimes to think! The gameplay experience could be sooo much deeper than what it is today!

If some of you fellow AC fans agree please say "signed" or something like that. :)

Wolfmeister1010
11-27-2013, 02:40 AM
I dont really want difficulty settings. I dont want AC to go down that route. I just want the combat to be more difficult/based on skill in general

sanceman
11-27-2013, 02:43 AM
I dont really want difficulty settings. I dont want AC to go down that route. I just want the combat to be more difficult/based on skill in general
Imo that's something Ubi would never do because of the casual appeal of the game. Anyway combat is pretty skill based as it is, the problem is that the game does not punish you for the mistakes you make.

DetroitPlaya
11-27-2013, 02:46 AM
No. Assassin's Creed wasn't intended for difficulty levels, so I don't want them to start messing with it - as the balancing will be even worse.

What I would like is for them to focus on the enemy encounters, and make it require faster reactions time, make it hard to find a group of five - IMPOSSIBLE for 10-15 at once. General just put more thought into not having the assassin just jump into a large battle without a struggle. This should just be a general thing, not something relying on the Easy/Normal/Hard system.

The fact you can slaughter an entire city without any consequences is also strange to me.

And PLEASE! ONE title where you can go "Clean hands" (aKa only kill the main targets, the rest you only knock out)

sanceman
11-27-2013, 02:52 AM
So you say make the game generally tougher but don't include difficulty settings? I say make the game generally just a bit harder AND include difficulty settings. That would not hurt the balance. As I've said in the first post I don't have problems with a game being easy but sometimes AC is just so ridiculous it really hurts my immersion.

Gi1t
11-27-2013, 03:38 AM
No. Assassin's Creed wasn't intended for difficulty levels, so I don't want them to start messing with it - as the balancing will be even worse.

What I would like is for them to focus on the enemy encounters, and make it require faster reactions time, make it hard to find a group of five - IMPOSSIBLE for 10-15 at once. General just put more thought into not having the assassin just jump into a large battle without a struggle. This should just be a general thing, not something relying on the Easy/Normal/Hard system.

The fact you can slaughter an entire city without any consequences is also strange to me.

And PLEASE! ONE title where you can go "Clean hands" (aKa only kill the main targets, the rest you only knock out)

But what if you took changes like that and then made it it's own setting? :)

I DO think they need to expand on things to open up more routes for difficulty to increase, like giving the enemies more attacks which not only have different effects, but also are performed at different ranges. That's a key component because it makes you pay attention to how your enemy is moving to see what they're going to do and that means enemies don't have to sit there doing three second long sword swings just to give you a lot of warning. Instead, you can see their intentions before they launch the attack, which looks a lot cooler.

As for the effects of attacks; consider Ninja Gaiden (again XD). It may look like enemies are just swinging at you, but they're not. Each different sword swing actually has a different strength and weakness. Some enemies use attacks that are anti-evasive, meaning if you try to dodge that particular swing, they'll hit you, but you can block it easily. Some attacks leave an opening beforehand if you attack first, but quick attacks will hit you before you can hit them. And some attacks trigger special moves that only trigger if they make contact with a certain move. That kind of interplay between attacks really makes the combat strategic and it's totally possible to build it from the ground up (meaning AC could go with just a few simple attack types and add more later if they did that.)

And I DO like your suggestion for making more than four or five enemies unbeatable. Again, I think I've said this before, but I think they should really make it look like it's the ENEMIES making it impossible to beat that many and not just make your character incapable of keeping up with them. Give them distinctive attacks and strategies they only use in sufficient numbers so people realize "the enemies have a new ability that makes fighting an implausible number not feasible" instead of "OMG! This assassin sucks!" XD But again, people who like an easygoing game might get irritated by that, so it would be another thing to put into this "difficulty setting". I actually think it would be cool if they didn't even increase the damage or health of enemies in their higher setting. :D I don't think it should be necessary to increase it, or at least not by much. Ninja Gaiden doesn't really add THAT much damage between difficulty settings (you take a s***load of damage even on normal mode, but compared to that, Master would only be about a 30% increase, I think. Either way, you barely notice it as you go up through each setting.)

Also, wasn't the Blade in the Crowd achievement kind of like a clean hands acknowledgement?

DetroitPlaya
11-27-2013, 03:47 AM
Also, wasn't the Blade in the Crowd achievement kind of like a clean hands acknowledgement?

Nope, you just have to be undetected for ONE assassination.

I want this:

Clean Hands is an achievement/trophy in Dishonored. It is unlocked by finishing the game (excluding the prologue) without killing anyone.

If they design the game in such a way, that you only HAVE TO kill the main targets... Yes please.

phoenix-force411
11-27-2013, 03:49 AM
We've had these threads since Brotherhood... Assassin's Creed is not an RPG where difficulty can apply, and the world of Assassin's Creed obviously shows that the Animus cannot tweak the behavior of individuals within a subject's memory. ACB had a combat simulator for the individual's ancestor, but the ancestor was merely an avatar to control through, it wasn't their memory or anything. Only in a virtual combat simulator can the Animus tweak theses things. Adding difficulty to the Story destroys how the Animus works.

And plus, the current combat system doesn't really work in large crowds, which means you'll get massacred on a higher difficulty level given the amount of damage you'll take.

SpiritMuse
11-27-2013, 03:55 AM
If you want to make fighting multiple guards harder (which I personally don't agree with, the battles are chaotic and difficult enough as it is), then also make there be fewer guards. The whole reason we get into these massive battles in the first place is because there are always a bajillion guards hovering around who all instantly surround you as soon as you make even a tiny stealth mistake. And then ring the bell to call reinforcements.

I do like that the guards aren't psychic any more like they were in AC3 (where even the guards half way across town would instantly know you were a suspect even if you were outrunning their colleagues so far that they shouldn't have been able to tell you were being chased at all).

Rugterwyper32
11-27-2013, 04:02 AM
We've had these threads since Brotherhood... Assassin's Creed is not an RPG where difficulty can apply, and the world of Assassin's Creed obviously shows that the Animus cannot tweak the behavior of individuals within a subject's memory. ACB had a combat simulator for the individual's ancestor, but the ancestor was merely an avatar to control through, it wasn't their memory or anything. Only in a virtual combat simulator can the Animus tweak theses things. Adding difficulty to the Story destroys how the Animus works.

And plus, the current combat system doesn't really work in large crowds, which means you'll get massacred on a higher difficulty level given the amount of damage you'll take.

I do think that either the combat system should be changed to be able to accommodate difficulty settings, or do something like Splinter Cell Blacklist did for Perfectionist difficulty where it removed a few elements to make things more challenging, in this case kill streaks and make enemies more aggressive or somesuch, I'm not sure. But I do believe difficulty settings SHOULD be part of the series. Here's the problem at hand: Some people want a harder game. Some others would prefer a much more easygoing game (which, admittedly, this series has been for me so far). I would prefer a compromise between both with difficulty settings. I remember AssassinHMS mentioned an idea based around tiring out enemies through using the variety of moves at your disposal so you can find an opening and hit the enemy right there, and that very idea I liked because how accessible it is to difficulty settings (on an easier setting enemies being clumsier and leaving many more openings, plus not being as aggressive< on a harder difficulty enemies actively searching for openings, harder to find one in them and harder to tire out). This series can be open for both sides keeping the easygoing audience and an audience that enjoys more of a challenge happy.
And I'd prefer not even mentioning the idea of how it doesn't work with the story, because now the idea of how the animus works has been allowed to be more game-y thanks to the new take on the modern storyline and even then gameplay should also be important. Assassin's Creed 2 made a bunch of improvements on gameplay and messed with the animus side of things making it ridiculous and I didn't see many complaints about it as it was praised for improving gameplay-wise, and honestly that part should be a priority. This is a videoGAME, so I'd say the gameplay side of things is pretty important, I'd say even moreso than the story but I've seen different opinions regarding that.

Sushiglutton
11-27-2013, 04:07 AM
You can tweak the difficulty some by:

Turning off the HUD.
Refuse to upgrade Edward.
Use the worst set of weapons.

That said I still think the combat is a bit too simplistic. I really don't mind that you can kill an endless amount of enemies though. I think it's cool and I hope they keep a swift and stylish system. For me the system they have is in the right ballpark, they just need to add some more moves and sense of control for the player. And they need to iron out the clunkiness like for example unresponsive counters.

If they took the system in AC4 and fleshed it out (including quickfire gadgets, switching between ropedarts and pistols is a pain :) ), I think they could have a great system.

phoenix-force411
11-27-2013, 04:10 AM
I do think that either the combat system should be changed to be able to accommodate difficulty settings, or do something like Splinter Cell Blacklist did for Perfectionist difficulty where it removed a few elements to make things more challenging, in this case kill streaks and make enemies more aggressive or somesuch, I'm not sure. But I do believe difficulty settings SHOULD be part of the series. Here's the problem at hand: Some people want a harder game. Some others would prefer a much more easygoing game (which, admittedly, this series has been for me so far). I would prefer a compromise between both with difficulty settings. I remember AssassinHMS mentioned an idea based around tiring out enemies through using the variety of moves at your disposal so you can find an opening and hit the enemy right there, and that very idea I liked because how accessible it is to difficulty settings (on an easier setting enemies being clumsier and leaving many more openings, plus not being as aggressive< on a harder difficulty enemies actively searching for openings, harder to find one in them and harder to tire out). This series can be open for both sides keeping the easygoing audience and an audience that enjoys more of a challenge happy.
And I'd prefer not even mentioning the idea of how it doesn't work with the story, because now the idea of how the animus works has been allowed to be more game-y thanks to the new take on the modern storyline and even then gameplay should also be important. Assassin's Creed 2 made a bunch of improvements on gameplay and messed with the animus side of things making it ridiculous and I didn't see many complaints about it as it was praised for improving gameplay-wise, and honestly that part should be a priority. This is a videoGAME, so I'd say the gameplay side of things is pretty important, I'd say even moreso than the story but I've seen different opinions regarding that.

Tweaking A.I.s is tricky. But in overall, I don't think they should add a difficulty and just keep how it has always been. They just need to work on perfecting their A.I.s and detection system. And also, add more advantages to Night time. Like during night time, enemies will have a harder time seeing you, and if they do add a crouch button, that can be used to become more discreet and be less detectable.

sanceman
11-27-2013, 04:47 AM
Okay, to make things more exact here's what I'd like to see.

General:

- more precise game mechanics in order to have high difficulty without frustrating the player
- full synchronization is rewarded
- perfectly executed combat and stealth encounters are rewarded
- more missions with a time limit

Combat:

- a critical hit system that rewards precision: you can't kill an enemy instantly by doing a simple counter move, you kill them by performing a critical counter which means that you hit the counter button in the precise time an enemy is about to hit you. Combo kills could only be achieved by scoring a critical counter on your first target.
- 2-3-4 enemies can attack you at the same time, to counter them you have to press the counter button 2-3-4 times
- an enemy type that counters your counter but not by hitting you and ending your combo but by giving you a chance to quickly do a dodge move in order to continue the combat seamlessly
- highly armored, brute like enemies with charging attacks you have to dodge, you have to stun them before killing them
- the need for crowd control: 5-6 enemies can surround and kill you almost instantly so you constantly have to pay attention to getting out of a crowd
- an enemy type that attacks you multiple times so you have to counter him multiple tmes in quick succession
- an enemy type you can only kill from behind: you perform this by dodging his attack and attacking him from behind
- highly ranked officers can sound an alarm if you don't kill them quickly so more enemies will appear
- your health only regenerates after winning a combat encounter or performing a successful escape

Stealth:

- a sneaking stance
- general encouragement of a stealthy approach: if you are detected during a stealth mission, combat will be very hard
- more possibilites in doing a stealth kill on an assassination target (more routes for example)
- snipers on rooftops who spot you if you're not hidden
- two different kinds of hiding spots, "weak" and "strong": if you are in a weak hiding position where you're visible (among civilians or sitting on a bench), highly ranked officers are able to spot you instantly
- an eagle vision that is actually useful: you're able to see hostiles through walls
- non-lethal stealth takedowns
- an ability to set up traps
- an ability to distract enemies by throwing coins, rocks etc. near them (whistling can stay, I like that)
- situations where the enemies capture you / you let them capture you instead of attacking - then you can make your escape

Gi1t
11-27-2013, 05:03 AM

I really think of difficulty settings as separate from the game's story entirely, much like the main menu and the ability to save. Those exist outside even the modern day part of the story, and that's how difficulty settings are in pretty much every game out there; it's just something you can choose or change outside the game. There's no explanation for it, it's just there. It would be like you're adjusting the game from outside the narrative of the animus. You're not saying the animus works in such a way that you can change the difficulty.

If you want to make fighting multiple guards harder (which I personally don't agree with, the battles are chaotic and difficult enough as it is), then also make there be fewer guards. The whole reason we get into these massive battles in the first place is because there are always a bajillion guards hovering around who all instantly surround you as soon as you make even a tiny stealth mistake. And then ring the bell to call reinforcements.

That's actually a good point I haven't heard before. Having smaller numbers of more challenging enemies is something I always like to see. :) The more bozos you cram into a room, the easier they have to be for the main character to beat them or get away.