PDA

View Full Version : My one gripe, melee combat, lack of variety/choices a step back from ACIII.

Stiler
11-26-2013, 11:35 AM
I am loving AC IV as a whole, but I can't help but feel the melee combat has taken a step back, especially compared to AC3.

What happened to weapon variety? ACIII was filled with different types of weapons you could use, axes, knives, swords, tomahawks, etc.

In AC IV you have swords......and pistols, that's it (minus the weapons you can pick up off other people, but those are dropped easily and you can't keep them).

Also it seem slike the variety of your combat, the counters, the animations, etc have dropped a LOT, I keep seeing the same animations over and over and over, there's a distinct lack of variety vs the combat in AC III in terms of the animations and variety of them you saw as you fought in melee combat.

I have played AC IV for over 20 hours and I haven't seen a SINGLE double-counter, not one. In AC III there were a ton of double counters and awesome combat moves that really made the combat cinematic and "Cool" to watch.

Now melee combat seems more of a chore, there's not much depth behind it (there hasn't been in a while in AC) but at least it looked awesome and had plenty of variety in it's animations/weapons, until now, which those seem to have been taken out.

I really hope for the next AC game they think about doing something more with melee combat, not just in terms of variety but in terms of gameplay. We need something more engaging, something that provides more of a challenge and depth, less it is just going to be counter-focused more and more. We should be able to do combo's, to have variations of attacks that WE control (IE high/low attack, quick/light, fast/strong). with enemies that aren't easily countered just b looking at them based on using the same model where all the "big" guys have to have their defenses broken but where each enemy is smarter and can make ample use of counters and dodging, etc.

burtie80
11-26-2013, 02:01 PM
I am finding the melee combat a lot less of a chore than I did in AC3,there was just way too much in that game, it seemed like every corner I walked around had 20 guards waiting for me.

I feel the melee combat has taken a turn for the worst since AC3,it's just way too easy...press a button to counter then press a button to kill. It seriously lacks and depth or challenge. I preferred the older style and found it much more challenging.

I think you're right about the lack of melee animations though, it does seem a lot less than AC3,but to be honest I am quite happy about that because I think they spent way to much time making nice animationsin AC3 and forgot about the rest of the game.

Qoheles
11-26-2013, 02:06 PM
There's also no more wounds in the dead bodies.

In AC3, Connor would be blood soaked after being shot (or hit) and so would the enemies.

The animation thing wouldn't be such a problem, if they made some single swords buyable.