PDA

View Full Version : The Absolute Worst Gameplay Feature in AC3/4

Wolfmeister1010
11-26-2013, 05:20 AM
There are some things that I can understand are two-sided, and features put into the previous games that had some sort of justification, but the contextual "kicking" kills literally add nothing to the game, and even take away a lot.

1. It looks ridiculous. I know AC isn't about realism, but this is just ridiculous. Edward/Connor kicks the enemy off the roof, who then proceeds to sail 20 feet horizontally through the air before hitting the ground. I mean..it is just ridiculous.

2. It hurts stealth like a mother****er. I can not begin to tell you how many times I have gotten into a roof battle while in a stealth scenario, (hey, everyone makes mistakes) and then kick the enemy off the roof which alerts all the guards below. I want to be able to resolve those types of conflicts quickly and then get back to stealth, and kicking a guard down into the plain view of an ENTIRE plantation does no good. Also, even if you are in the middle of the roof, during a counter or combo the combat STILL triggers a "off the rooftop throw kill" it is rare for one to be able to kill a guard on a rooftop without him being bolted into the enemy filled street below. The same thing happens with things like the running assassinations, when I need to get to a guard quickly and then end up throwing him over the roof. And when I try to use the high profile assassination (which gets the enemy's body to the ground quickly, which is good for stealth) even when being careful not to be running or anything that would trigger a kick, well...sometimes it works and othertimes not. The inconsistency is unbearable.

I miss the times in earlier AC games where you can bolt across the rooftop and assassinate a guard on the edge of the roof, but now I need to slow down to a complete stop and slowly creep up to him in order to make sure I dont completely blow my cover.

The idea of contextual kills on rooftops could be fun at first, but in the end, the cons ABSOLUTELY outweigh the pros. It is literally the most annoying, stealth breaking, ridiculous looking, unnecessary feature in AC history, maybe next to the den defense feature.

Please tell me I am not the only one who thinks this.

phoenix-force411
11-26-2013, 05:43 AM
If you know that Edward/Connor might kick them off or push them off when you're trying to stealthily tail, infiltrate, or kill someone, you need to let go of the high profile button when you're pressing the attack button, 'cause the kick or push off auto kill is mapped to High Profile. If you let go of high profile, you'll just stab them with hidden blades instead.

Den Defense was fun, but if you purposely are trying to make them happen, the Den defenses get harder and harder until you become annoyed. Lol. But it was pretty dull.

AngryRaisin
11-26-2013, 05:47 AM
Yeah, I don't really get your beef. You don't have to kick-kill them.

Wolfmeister1010
11-26-2013, 05:48 AM
If you know that Edward/Connor might kick them off or push them off when you're trying to stealthily tail, infiltrate, or kill someone, you need to let go of the high profile button when you're pressing the attack button, 'cause the kick or push off auto kill is mapped to High Profile. If you let go of high profile, you'll just stab them with hidden blades instead.

Den Defense was fun, but if you purposely are trying to make them happen, the Den defenses get harder and harder until you become annoyed. Lol. But it was pretty dull.

The kick is also mapped to any sort of combat, or did you miss half of point number 2?

Not trying to be rude, but trust me I try my very best to NOT trigger it and it does in the worst situations

Wolfmeister1010
11-26-2013, 05:48 AM
Yeah, I don't really get your beef. You don't have to kick-kill them.

In combat on a roof it does it automatically

phoenix-force411
11-26-2013, 05:54 AM
The kick is also mapped to any sort of combat, or did you miss half of point number 2?

Not trying to be rude, but trust me I try my very best to NOT trigger it and it does in the worst situations

No, I saw it, but I thought you were ranting on the stealth part of it more when you're not in combat. In combat, yes, it happens all of the time should you counter kill just simply attacking them will make Edward/Connor execute auto kick/push kill. Although, some counters are completely contextual and will knock them off as part of the animation. It's best to try and not engage in combat on the rooftops since ACIII and ACIV A.I.s have broken detection systems that alert grounded guards regardless. That's why "Stay out of combat" optional objectives are so annoying.

shobhit7777777
11-26-2013, 06:10 AM
I hate it

LoyalACFan
11-26-2013, 06:50 AM
I hate it simply because it looks stupid. Gameplay-wise, it doesn't bother me that much, and I actually like the other context-sensitive kills.

moron4666
11-26-2013, 07:00 AM
I agree. It's absolutely awful. During my play-through of AC 3, I was infiltrating Fort Duquesne and I tried to assassinate a guard on a ledge but the game automatically did the kicking animation causing the guards below to detect me and next thing I know, I am forced to fight the entire fort. It may look great but I agree that gameplay-wise it should be removed

BATISTABUS
11-26-2013, 07:23 AM
I love it, I think it's ****ing hilarious. Just don't get into a fight on a roof top. He doesn't kick them off if you assassinate them while incognito.

roostersrule2
11-26-2013, 08:20 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/803791-AC-IV-Black-Flag-Single-Player-GAMEPLAY-Feedback-*Do-NOT-post-SPOILERS*

pacmanate
11-26-2013, 09:41 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/803791-AC-IV-Black-Flag-Single-Player-GAMEPLAY-Feedback-*Do-NOT-post-SPOILERS*

Hey.. I've seen that thread before! :O

Farlander1991
11-26-2013, 09:42 AM
It's really not that much different from AC1-ACR where if you'd punch (or in case of AC1 hit with a sword/knife since unarmed combat is not a thing there) a guard near an edge of a rooftop he'd recoil back and fall off. Only in this case it's been contextualized as a kick. I think AC mechanics need quite a lot of tweaking, but here, I really don't see the problem, if you made a mistake but don't want to throw the guard off the roof, don't fight in the direction of the edge. (btw, I haven't encountered an off the rooftop kill in the middle of the rooftop yet, and I played for 15 hours so far)

Sushiglutton
11-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Interesting I haven't really encountered that too much. It does sound very annoying the way you describe lol.

To me the overall worst gameplay feature is the parkour system in general. It's just too fiddly and it leads to what feels like cheap fails. Like when you try to climb a pillar and Ed just wants to go into corner cover. Or when he refuses to climb som of the geometry at all even though it's clear he should be able to. Or when he jumps to the exact spot you absolutely does not want him to jump and so on. I feel a big advantage of the plantations and stalking zone stealth is that you don't have to worry about the parkour system. When precision is needed it just doesn't hold up.

ze_topazio
11-26-2013, 04:27 PM
This "context" thing unfortunately creates things like this.

EchoFiveKilo
11-27-2013, 06:14 AM
I actually love the rooftop kick kills in AC3, it looks awesome plus the hilarious ragdoll effects just make you laugh. I dont see the issue, just hidden blade assassinate them while not in combat. I dont see how it is gamebreaking.

AC3's contextual kills (kills on the edge of a rooftop, against walls etc) were awesome and I would've liked to see more.

Kagurra
11-27-2013, 08:52 AM
You got a problem with Sparta Kicks and Knees of Justice?