PDA

View Full Version : Swansea Town

Jamesbarrock
11-26-2013, 01:48 AM
It's a small thing. But missed opportunity for Sea Shanty or incidental music considering that Kenway was from Swansea.

BATISTABUS
11-26-2013, 04:37 AM
That would've been cool. Maybe it wasn't close enough to the time period?

guardian_titan
11-26-2013, 05:14 AM
When did historical inaccuracy stop Ubisoft? Queen's Staircase in Nassau is in the game despite being built after AC4's time frame. You read the entry for it, the Abstergo people even admit it's not accurate but it goes into the game anyway. Death dates and locations are often moved by them as well. Only year I can find related to Swansea Town is in relation to Gustav Holst (1874-1934), but I didn't really go looking too much. Listening to it, the song, although a nice nod to Edward's roots in Swansea, isn't really in the same vein as the other shanties picked ... and some of those aren't time accurate, either. Maybe there's another version that'd be better but it's more of a choir type song, not one you'd really burst out singing randomly. Reminds me of the American National Anthem. Who sings that while driving down the road? Or any national anthem or town official song or whatever? It's not really catchy in the same way the other shanties are. It's also not very piratey. It's a nice song and a nice link to Edward's childhood. Just not for AC4.

Jamesbarrock
11-26-2013, 05:26 AM
Holst took existing text and melody and gave it a modern (for the time) treatment, and used it in a bunch of his works. He was a big nationalist who liked using older melodies and whatnot. All English folk-type songs that he and others from his era 'rearranged' are "choiry", there are treatments of Lowlands and Drunken Sailor from around that time that are just as melodic. While I can't find any, I can hum myself an upbeat version that would be appropriate, and the text stylings match the period. I would assume the lack of availability on a livelier arrangement would be the biggest reason.

Some of these are really great though in game. I wonder who recorded them.