PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding Assassin's Creed IV gameplay and mechanics

Secu12
11-25-2013, 04:36 PM
Hello fellow Assassins!

I've played by now the first five sequences on PC and I have some questions:
1) Most of the Jackdaw upgrades and appearances need and other resources than money. I can't figure out wich one is only by their symbol. Where can I find a list of all upgrades and the neccesary resources for each of them?
2) I just got introduced in the "Kenway fleet". On the upper right corner of the screen there is a symbol, like diamond, of a resource that you need it to repair your ships. How is it called and how do you collect it?
3) After a naval battle, if I choose to send the enemy ship to my fleet, how else can I repair the Jackdaw?
4) There are platforming missions similar to assassin tombs in Assassin's Creed II?
5) If I start a side mission. like an assassin contract, how do I abort it?

Thank you very much and I will be using this thread for all my questions regarding this beautiful game.

SenseHomunculus
11-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Hello fellow Assassins!

I've played by now the first five sequences on PC and I have some questions:
1) Most of the Jackdaw upgrades and appearances need and other resources than money. I can't figure out wich one is only by their symbol. Where can I find a list of all upgrades and the neccesary resources for each of them?
2) I just got introduced in the "Kenway fleet". On the upper right corner of the screen there is a symbol, like diamond, of a resource that you need it to repair your ships. How is it called and how do you collect it?
3) After a naval battle, if I choose to send the enemy ship to my fleet, how else can I repair the Jackdaw?
4) There are platforming missions similar to assassin tombs in Assassin's Creed II?
5) If I start a side mission. like an assassin contract, how do I abort it?

Thank you very much and I will be using this thread for all my questions regarding this beautiful game.

Love your avatar! :p

1) Here (http://bit.ly/1clgUhd)

2) You earn gems (it's what they call them) by fighting the battles to clear the trade routes.

3) You need to defeat another ship then to get the "repair the Jackdaw" option.

4) Nothing near a "jumpy" as the AC2 missions, some of which frustrated the CRAP out of me.

5) Go to the game pause mission, Quit and then "Quit memory," though I'm not certain if that works for side-missions like the contracts, or only primary game memories. Why do you want to abort an assassination contract?

Secu12
11-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Thank you!

3) Yes, but instead of chosing to repair my ship, how else can I repair it? It's the only option?
4) I loved those ones
5) Becaue of possible bugs and glitches. Remember last year's Assassin's Creed III? ;)

SenseHomunculus
11-25-2013, 11:19 PM
3) Yes, but instead of chosing to repair my ship, how else can I repair it? It's the only option?

Sorry, yes - you can also repair it at any harbour master. Though as long as you're cruising around in the ocean, it's just easier to capture an enemy ship.

5) Becaue of possible bugs and glitches. Remember last year's Assassin's Creed III? ;)

Good point!! Haven't found any deal-breakers, though.

Secu12
11-26-2013, 02:26 PM
I understand that playing with your friends, naval missions cand be completed much faster. Hou you do that?
If I start a mission which requires 8 hours, for example, it means I have to keep my PC turned on this amount of time or it can be completed even my PC it's shut down?
The Companion App is it compatible with the PC version of the game?

SpiritMuse
11-27-2013, 03:23 AM
The Fleet missions will continue to run even when your game is shut down, because they're not handled in-game but on Ubisoft's servers (this is why you can also access them from other places than just the game, and why the Fleet menu will close when you lose connection). And so the companion app is compatible with every version of the game (as far as I know).

To help your friends: If you open the Fleet menu, and your friends are also running Fleet missions, you should be able to see them on your map. Then you should be able to click their ships, that will let you help them, and they can do the same for you. I have not personally experienced this because I have no friends that also play this game, but this is what I heard. It could be very useful, there are some missions that can take 36 hours! Though if you send faster ships the mission times will be shorter.

The gems, by the way, you can also earn by disassembling ships in the Fleet menu. I often send ships to the fleet just to break them down for gems. The bigger the ship, the more gems it will make.

Secu12
11-27-2013, 09:55 AM
Nice strategy for obtaining gemstones!

Should I understand that a mission takes 10 hours to complete (as seen in the available missions menu) and you send a faster ship it cand take less than that time?
I don't get why I have only four regions unlocked to trade by now: Gulf of Mexico, Southern British Colonies, South Atlantic and other one I can't remember. I repeat them over and over. How can you trade in more regions?
I had attacked a naval convoy and the frigate I send it to my fleet but I got no money reward. I saw other naval convoy who had 10000 reales. Not all of them have money?

SpiritMuse
11-27-2013, 04:20 PM
The time listed for a mission to complete will change if you select a different ship, so you can check before sending it off. I think the "default" time is based on the speed of a man 'o war, which are the slowest (but biggest) ships you can find, so pretty much every other ship will make the time shorter.

New regions should unlock when you do trade missions. Usually a trade mission will list at the top of the mission's description if it unlocks a new location. Be sure to do all the different ones, especially the ones with an exclamation mark, as those are new missions. It may also require progress in the main storyline, but I'm not sure about that.

Not every ship carries Reales, though I think a Royal convoy (with an R on the map) pretty much always does. You can check what a ship is carrying by using the spyglass, even after you've disabled it (when you can board it). If you board it you get all of it, if you end up destroying the ship you can fish half the amount out of the water.

Oh also, if you're preparing to battle ships in the Fleet menu, and you don't like the look of your opponents, you can cancel out of the battle menu and when you select the route again your opponents will have changed. It's possible to find easier battles that way.

Syr.Jake
11-28-2013, 08:36 AM
The symbols are your cargo.

In order:
Sugar
Rum
Cloth
Wood
Metal

The sugar and rum are, for want of a better term, vendor trash. They are items you loot but cannot use directly, and are meant to be sold. You can sell them at a Harbour Master, General Store, or through the Ship Model in the Captains Quarters on your ship.

The cloth, wood, and metal you should always keep until you have bought every upgrade and appearance for the Jackdaw. After you have fully upgraded the ship, you can sell any cargo that you loot as there is no longer a need to keep it.

MnemonicSyntax
11-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Sorry, yes - you can also repair it at any harbour master. Though as long as you're cruising around in the ocean, it's just easier to capture an enemy ship.

Good point!! Haven't found any deal-breakers, though.

Here lately though, when I go to a Harbormaster to get my ship repaired, it tells me I have nothing to repair despite that I am missing two of the three large yellow chunks of health.

Secu12
12-03-2013, 11:32 AM
It migt be a bug. Try in another harbormaster, in other city/village.
if it persists engage in a naval battle. Even if you desync, you'll respwaned with full health.

How do you equip Edward with multiple pistols? I have crafted two extra holsters but at his chest he holds only two.

SenseHomunculus
12-03-2013, 08:48 PM
How do you equip Edward with multiple pistols? I have crafted two extra holsters but at his chest he holds only two.

Errr... I thought they just appeared outfitted when you added holsters?? I don't remember having to do anything else. Which pistols have you equipped?

Syr.Jake
12-03-2013, 10:49 PM
It migt be a bug. Try in another harbormaster, in other city/village.
if it persists engage in a naval battle. Even if you desync, you'll respwaned with full health.

Once you have upgraded the holsters, the pistols are automatically added. 2 on his hips, and 2 on his chest for a total of 4.

Secu12
12-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Oh. I thought all four were on his chest. He keeps two on his hips.
I don't know exactly which pistols I have equipped.
By the way: I completed Black Island looting all chests but I don't have captain Morgan's pistols. Am I missing something or there is a bug?

What are community challeneges and how do you complete them?
Also, if I press pause menu button, on the left I have the game options (upgrades, crafting, database etc.) and on the right are things related to AC Initiates. What are they and what they mean?

Secu12
12-19-2013, 06:37 AM
I have a few challenges left to complete but I'm stuck on some of them:

1) Pet 5 dogs - I have only 3. Where can I find dogs? I now it's a silly question but I have been wandering in Havana, on some islands and nothing. I can't remember where I found those three.
2) Survive 10 shark attacks - I have four more attacks to complete but I don't understand how do you initiate the qte session.
3) Sink a level 3 hunter - after a pop-up showed informing me I reached wanted level 3, I boarded it and send it to my fleet. There was no reward. A few minutes later I was engaged in a naval battle and I lost so my wanted level had been reset. How do I have to approach this challenge?

Hafniyaas
03-31-2014, 11:36 AM
Hi guys,

I cannot sell cloths, wood or metal. They are not even appearing on my sell list, only rum and sugar. I have maxed on cloth and wood and completed all my upgrades to the ship, except for the elite upgrades.

I searched the internet, but found nothing on this. I tried searching the forum, but couldn't find anything relevant. Everyone stats that you can sell them, but how :confused:

P.s. Sorry if I am posting under the wrong thread.

Alphacos007
03-31-2014, 05:27 PM
What are community challeneges and how do you complete them?
Also, if I press pause menu button, on the left I have the game options (upgrades, crafting, database etc.) and on the right are things related to AC Initiates. What are they and what they mean?

Community challenges are challenges that the community must complete in order to receive a reward. When one is active, you will be warned about it with a in-game pop-up. To complete it, just do what it asks you to do. The one currently going, for example, is to plunder 2 warehouses.
The things on the right are just a history of your actions, I have no idea why it says about AC Initiates, but if you still wan't to know what are the Initiates, go to their site (https://acinitiates.com).

I have a few challenges left to complete but I'm stuck on some of them:

1) Pet 5 dogs - I have only 3. Where can I find dogs? I now it's a silly question but I have been wandering in Havana, on some islands and nothing. I can't remember where I found those three.
2) Survive 10 shark attacks - I have four more attacks to complete but I don't understand how do you initiate the qte session.
3) Sink a level 3 hunter - after a pop-up showed informing me I reached wanted level 3, I boarded it and send it to my fleet. There was no reward. A few minutes later I was engaged in a naval battle and I lost so my wanted level had been reset. How do I have to approach this challenge?

1) You can pet the same dog 5 times as far as I know. But you can find them just by walking around big cities.
2) Go to a shipwreck and let the sharks see and attack you.
3) You must sink it, boarding it and sending to the fleet does not count.

Hi guys,

I cannot sell cloths, wood or metal. They are not even appearing on my sell list, only rum and sugar. I have maxed on cloth and wood and completed all my upgrades to the ship, except for the elite upgrades.

I searched the internet, but found nothing on this. I tried searching the forum, but couldn't find anything relevant. Everyone stats that you can sell them, but how :confused:

P.s. Sorry if I am posting under the wrong thread.

Weird, you should be able to sell those materials at the harbourmasters or even inside the captain's cabin, just like you do with Rum or Sugar.

Hafniyaas
04-01-2014, 08:13 AM
Weird, you should be able to sell those materials at the harbourmasters or even inside the captain's cabin, just like you do with Rum or Sugar.

My brother in law is also playing the game on my console and he is able to sell them. We are both at the same level and I think we have also competed almost the same side quests (if completing some side quest is a prerequisite). :(

Kytr
04-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Selling cloth, wood, and metal is a little different than selling rum and sugar. The latter are meant to be sold, the former it expects you to use on your ship. To sell them, you need to highlight the commodity then use the right button (if I remember correctly) to increase the number to be sold One you have specified the amount to sell, it will require an extra confirmation on the sale before committing.

Zeph-S
04-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Selling cloth, wood, and metal is a little different than selling rum and sugar. The latter are meant to be sold, the former it expects you to use on your ship. To sell them, you need to highlight the commodity then use the right button (if I remember correctly) to increase the number to be sold One you have specified the amount to sell, it will require an extra confirmation on the sale before committing.

Got the same problem as Hafniyaas.
It doesn't even show the shop options to sell cloth, wood and metal. You only get to choose to sell rum or sugar. The other three aren't listed.
It's kinda annoying, not to mention the money lost, 'cause I'm carrying a hold full of the stuff around without really being able to do anything with it.
After selling all the rum/sugar I had, it grays out the option to "Sell cargo", even though I have a hold full of cloth, metal and wood; which is kinda weird, considering the very description of that menu point says "They can all be sold for money."

Edit: I'm in Sequence 4, have been before, and suddenly, they get listed. The only thing I can think of that changed is that I engaged one of the Legendary Ships (the two British Man'o'Wars). After they sunk me, I fast-traveled to a random harbour, and now I can sell the crafting stuff. Weird. Really weird.

Kytr
04-02-2014, 04:44 PM
That is weird, unless there is a point that you need to pass in the story before you can sell those 3 commodities. Since it was late in the game before I ever tried, I can't speak to that. Still, at least you can sell them now.