PDA

View Full Version : After finishing AC4, I honestly think AC3 was a better AC game...

CptPakundo
11-25-2013, 01:38 PM
...And I played ALL the AC games, so I'm no noob to the series.
At first I appreciated the gameplay changes, additions, graphics, the first act of the story, the exploration (but let's be honest, going to every single mini-island and going on a tedious collection spree got boring FAST), and naturally the improved and expanded ship mechanics.

But... The game kind of lacked something.
The 2nd act of the story, which was pretty long, just felt like one huge "meh".

I won't complain about the character of Edward, but needless to say that by the time the 3rd act of the story rolled in, I was disliking him, preferring Connor over him by miles.

Yes, the 3rd act of the story was good enough to make me not lose all hope, and the reveal around 3/4 or 4/5 through the game in the modern setting was actually very nice and a bit unexpected for me, but...

In the end, having read Assassin's Creed: Forsaken (a canon book that is essentially Haytham Kenyway's journal from youth to his eventual death (that there is not a spoiler for AC3, technically, due to the fact that everyone dies eventually, ya know?)), I already knew exactly what happened with Edward in his later years, and how some of his character developement around the late parts of AC4 were simply gone, and overall..

The game just lacked an enticing cliffhanger, a twist, a hook for a sequel.
Indeed, the modern day story has moved ahead very subtly, more so than Assassin's Creed: Revelations.

In fact, I dare say I'm actually pitting Black Flag with Revelations in a contest for the "worst Assassin's Creed title in terms of story, narrative, and overall feeling after finishing the game".
(Edit: I meant talking about the modern day setting. The wrap up to Altair and Ezio were both excellent, forgive me for that.)

Edit 2: Actually you know what? Forget what I said about Revelations.
The game ended rather well, it's the actual game itself that hardly felt like it was a step forward from Brotherhood, and how it was just all too similar in feel.
The story was ok, I just hated the 1st person segments and the whole safe mode animus feel.
It's Black Flag that stands alone with an unenticing ending, then.

That is to say, I do believe that when an Assassin's Creed game isn't very good, it's still pretty damn good, which is why I 99% the game (I'm missing 3 buries chests that can only be found by getting maps from Kenway's Fleet, and 1 glitched viewpoint I synced, by the game didn't count for me that I did, so unless that gets patched, my save will forever be bugged and will remain at 99%).

I did appreciate the content you could access while wandering around Abstergo Entertainment, though, particularly anything related to Desmond, and the Subject Zero tapes.
Also, that single Subject One tape was quite an interesting look into seeing how it was in-universe for someone else to experience memories in the animus prototype, back when Warren Vidic had a young and EXTREMELY cocky voice, heh.

I just wished for more plot advancement in the modern day setting, that's all.

Overall, I'd rate this game high, and it's not quite the disappointment Far Cry 3 was for me (I rather not explain that in an AC4 forum), and I'm eagerly waiting for Freedom Cry, and even Liberation HD, so I can finally play the story of Aveline, and later actually allow myself to play the Aveline content in AC4.
Yeah, I like story chronology, that's the way I am.

Edit: I played the game on PC, like the entire rest of the series, but I posted this thread on the console sub-forum because it's where more people talk about Assassin's Creed in general.

xCHEMISTx
11-25-2013, 01:54 PM
I liked Ezio best of all the main characters so far. AC2 was the game that really got me into the series.

CptPakundo
11-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Whatever happened to getting in a series from its first game?
But yeah, after 3 games there's not alot of negative things one could say about Ezio, right?

xCHEMISTx
11-25-2013, 02:12 PM
I played all of AC1 and Altair was interesting to play but AC2 I spent a lot more time on. AC3 is pretty good too but it took me longer to get into then the previous games. AC4 is excellent and the best AC so far in my opinion. Edward and the pirates are abit of a rowdy lot but they still have a decent story to tell. Probably not as deep as Connor or Ezio but still interesting.

MnemonicSyntax
11-25-2013, 04:04 PM
.I did appreciate the content you could access while wandering around Abstergo Entertainment, though, particularly anything related to Desmond, and the Subject Zero tapes.
Also, that single Subject One tape was quite an interesting look into seeing how it was in-universe for someone else to experience memories in the animus prototype, back when Warren Vidic had a young and EXTREMELY cocky voice, heh.

None other voiced by Tod Fennell, who you might recognize the voice belonging to Mason Locke Weems from 3, as well.

Also, great post. A fair review and you weren't "angry" about it, demanding your money back, etc.

Lastly, the DLC for Aveline is very meh. I get what you're saying about chronological, but besides the beginning voice over, it could fit anywhere. However I am waiting for Liberation HD like you and look forward to playing it!

SenseHomunculus
11-25-2013, 04:11 PM
by the time the 3rd act of the story rolled in, I was disliking him, preferring Connor over him by miles.

Alas, I shall never have this issue. LOL

CptPakundo
11-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Alas, I shall never have this issue. LOL

Hating on Connor is too mainstream, Connor actually turned out to be a very likable character.

SleezeRocker
11-25-2013, 04:55 PM
I started with Uncharted 2 without ever playing Uncharted 1 :P

MadJC1986
11-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Thank god. I feel like AC3 is obviously better. But it seemed like I was the only one thinking so. Nice review. I basically agree with everything.
Actually I liked Far Cry 3, but that is not of importance here I guess.

SenseHomunculus
11-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Hating on Connor is too mainstream, Connor actually turned out to be a very likable character.

... in your opinion, of course.

DetroitPlaya
11-25-2013, 05:57 PM
The game just lacked an enticing cliffhanger, a twist, a hook for a sequel.

So the fact that Abstergo now has the blood of Aita, isn't a cliffhanger?

CptPakundo
11-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Not as big a cliffhanger ending as any previous AC game, no.

Landruner
11-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Unless they will be killer future DLCs in the future (?) - My biggest problem I have with AC4 is that comparing to the previous entries including ACR/AC3 I do not see myself replaying it in a few months from now - I do not know why yet, but something did not grip on me with that game like the previous ones?

DetroitPlaya
11-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Unless they will be killer future DLCs in the future (?) - My biggest problem I have with AC4 is that comparing to the previous entries including ACR/AC3 I do not see myself replaying it in a few months from now - I do not know why yet, but something did not grip on me with that game like the previous ones?

I'm the opposite. I barely got through the previous main sequences, as it was so dull - but this? Can't get enough.

Landruner
11-25-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm the opposite. I barely got through the previous main sequences, as it was so dull - but this? Can't get enough.

Well, all the tastes are in the nature....

adventurewomen
11-25-2013, 09:23 PM
I liked Ezio best of all the main characters so far. AC2 was the game that really got me into the series.
That is your opinion not fact.

Connor's personality was real, yes he made mistakes but don't we all.

ze_topazio
11-25-2013, 10:15 PM

Ezio didn't made mistakes because he was wise enough to not get himself involved with wars he had nothing to do with and focused on killing Templars.

:rolleyes::cool:

adventurewomen
11-25-2013, 10:23 PM
Ezio didn't made mistakes because he was wise enough to not get himself involved with wars he had nothing to do with and focused on killing Templars.
You're talking about Revelations because Ezio wasn't a wise man until Revelations. Ezio was foolish & arrogant until he became wise Revelations.

Shahkulu101
11-25-2013, 10:33 PM

That post had nothing to do with Connor, stop finding issues with everything and everybody. You've been acting all strange lately.

ze_topazio
11-25-2013, 10:37 PM
I highly disagree with that, he never really acted on impulse and he knew his priorities, like when, after his father and brothers death he prioritized saving what remained of his family, after defending his family honor by killing Umberto, a very Italian thing btw, he once again prioritized escaping to a safer place, i really don't remember him making any major decisions on impulse, Connor on the other hand is the champion of hot headed foolish decisions like when he, a trained Assassin, killed his cousin or best friend or whatever, instead of simply knocking him out, but i don't really blame Connor on that, i blame the writers who tried way too hard to make his life seem unnecessarily tragic to the point it simply felt forced.

Shahkulu101
11-25-2013, 10:43 PM
I highly disagree with that, he never really acted on impulse and he knew his priorities, like when, after his father and brothers death he prioritized saving what remained of his family, after defending his family honor by killing Umberto, a very Italian thing btw, he once again prioritized escaping to a safer place, i really don't remember him making any major decisions on impulse, Connor on the other hand is the champion of hot headed foolish decisions like when he, a trained Assassin, killed his cousin or best friend or whatever, instead of simply knocking him out, but i don't really blame Connor on that, i blame the writers who tried way too hard to make his life seem unnecessarily tragic to the point it simply felt forced.

With Kanentokon he had no choice, he was overpowered and about to be killed, Kanentokon was on top of the guy with a knife at his throat. It was either him or them.

VitaminsXYZ
11-25-2013, 10:46 PM

C'mon now... Connor's my favorite as well, but other people are allowed to have their own preferences. And plus, it's not like he even brought up Connor to begin with. Merely stated that he liked Ezio the most.

As for what OP is saying, I kind of agree actually. Don't get me wrong, AC4 so far has been the most enjoyable in terms of gameplay, but the story just didn't really have me thinking as much. Ah well. *goes back to boarding ships*

pacmanate
11-25-2013, 10:51 PM
AC4 had better mission design, stealth aspects, more consistent story and a more interesting protag. In nearly all areas that matter Black Flag excelled AC3.

Shahkulu101
11-25-2013, 10:56 PM
AC4 had better mission design, stealth aspects, more consistent story and a more interesting protag. In nearly all areas that matter Black Flag excelled AC3.

Factually true, factually true, factually true - subjective.

ProletariatPleb
11-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Factually true, factually true, factually true - subjective.
Next you're gonna say that AC3 had good writing and Connor the barbarian was even remotely close to a well written protagonist and had good presentation.

Shahkulu101
11-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Next you're gonna say that AC3 had good writing and Connor the barbarian was even remotely close to a well written protagonist and had good presentation.

Some of AC3 writing was very well done, take the Templar cast for instance that push the series grey morality and are actually interesting, whose motives actually make sense. Although, I will admit the writing was wildy inconsistent. Connor is my favourite assassin, we'll leave it at that.

pacmanate
11-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Some of AC3 writing was very well done, take the Templar cast for instance that push the series grey morality and are actually interesting, whose motives actually make sense. Although, I will admit the writing was wildy inconsistent. Connor is my favourite assassin, we'll leave it at that.

I said NEARLY. I do think AC3 had some of the best Templars too.

Shahkulu101
11-25-2013, 11:09 PM
I said NEARLY. I do think AC3 had some of the best Templars too.

Yes, I know. Was replying to siddy boi

ProletariatPleb
11-25-2013, 11:15 PM
Erm...not exactly the same thing I meant.
Connor may be your 'favourite assassin' but that doesn't change game is poorly written.

Like how I love the Mass Effect universe but the narrative and writing are atrocious.

Writing isn't subjective taste in writing can be.
An example would be Metal Gear games. The characters are amazing, the gameplay is amazing, the direction is amazing, and generally plot as well, but what's the worst part of MGS? The writing, it is horrible; full of plot holes.

This is the best I could describe it.

Kaschra
11-25-2013, 11:21 PM
I basically disagree with everything the OP said. Just thinking of playing AC3 after AC4 feels like a chore.
IMO AC4 is better in almost all points.

Ahahahaha, are you for real, Adventurewomen? That person just stated their opinion and didn't even mention Connor AT ALL.
Why do you always force your opinion on other people? This is so ridiculous...

pacmanate
11-25-2013, 11:24 PM
You're talking about Revelations because Ezio wasn't a wise man until Revelations. Ezio was foolish & arrogant until he became wise Revelations.

That has nothing to do with Connor and also that is YOUR opinion. Stop forcing yourself on everyone.

DetroitPlaya
11-25-2013, 11:24 PM
I basically disagree with everything the OP said. Just thinking of playing AC3 after AC4 feels like a chore.
IMO AC4 is better in almost all points.

I couldn't play ANY of the previous titles after IV. I would feel so restrained, plus having to deal ****ty controls? No thanks.

Landruner
11-25-2013, 11:27 PM

Eddy!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4amT0meU8_pGmRviGR0O8nDXsIrfIP abB2Q04mNXGsHeK7DjthQConnor!

BUT, But, but...weeee do do!!! With Co...co...Connor's Rampage system Eddy. well...well he has no chance against him!!!! lol!:rolleyes:

AC 3 https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpaDEN8j-dx_LbTczWHXQ9HV_2nrY41tAc9u7XIdGTEtmNoqxHrg ASSIN 4!!!! LOL!:eek:

killzab
11-25-2013, 11:36 PM

He NEVER said it was a fact ! You're being ridiculous now, and rude ...

roostersrule2
11-26-2013, 12:05 AM

Connor's personality was real, yes he made mistakes but don't we all.Hahahahaahah oh wow.

You're talking about Revelations because Ezio wasn't a wise man until Revelations. Ezio was foolish & arrogant until he became wise Revelations.Hahaha you and your prejudices.

ze_topazio
11-26-2013, 12:07 AM
An example would be Metal Gear games. The characters are amazing, the gameplay is amazing, the direction is amazing, and generally plot as well, but what's the worst part of MGS? The writing, it is horrible; full of plot holes.

Kojima recently admitted he stopped caring about that because after so many years and so many sequels he doesn't really remember most of the details and taking them all in consideration is too troublesome and restrictive anyway.

http://analogaddiction.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/22joakim22.png?w=640

pacmanate
11-26-2013, 12:08 AM
Remember guys. Connors personality was REAL.

No one elses is.

You ****s.

Landruner
11-26-2013, 12:24 AM

No one elses is.

You ****s.

Sarah Connor

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDRhlFdELpvP3Ytwu9qsIJts3A5Lq2o HdC1yV1hg6sPGYk06e4mQ I asked her, she said... they are real!

Megas_Doux
11-26-2013, 02:39 AM
Another Love/hate Connor thread...HOW EXCITING!!!!

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pacmanate
11-26-2013, 02:59 AM
Another Love/hate Connor thread...HOW EXCITING!!!!

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its not a love/hate connor thread. Its a "Why does adventurewoman always bring it up" thread.

xCHEMISTx
11-26-2013, 03:03 AM

Mmm ok not sure what Connor has to do with my post but yes it is my opinion and I never claimed it was fact.

Gi1t
11-26-2013, 03:05 AM

?

That person's post was entirely personal. XD (the one you responded to)

I actually did start from the beginning. The only cases where I haven't done that with any game was with franchises that had been around a really long time. What can I say? I like the whole "making sense" thing that happens when you start from the beginning of a story. :D

ProletariatPleb
11-26-2013, 05:08 AM
Kojima recently admitted he stopped caring about that because after so many years and so many sequels he doesn't really remember most of the details and taking them all in consideration is too troublesome and restrictive anyway.
Erm, that wasn't what I was trying to explain...but okay lol. It's not like I said MGS games are **** or anything, lol

Its not a love/hate connor thread. Its a "Why does adventurewoman always bring it up" thread.
Now that you've mentioned, this is exactly why I had left lol.

EDIT2: Gi1t is alive!

CptPakundo
11-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Guess I'm in the minority, thinking the Assassins Vs. Templar side of things being sparse was a bad thing.

ze_topazio
11-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Erm, that wasn't what I was trying to explain...but okay lol. It's not like I said MGS games are **** or anything, lol

I know, i was just mentioning a curiosity, while some try too hard to make their plots seem coherent even if they have to come up with lame plot twists and retcons, Kojima just doesn't care anymore.

Hrafnagud72
11-27-2013, 10:29 PM

No one elses is.

You ****s.

His personality may have been real, but what does that matter? He was still a whiny little *****. And I don't hang out with whiny little *****es in real life, why would I want to play one?

As for AC3 being better than AC4...That's a stretch. I would rather play AC4 over AC3, but not by too much. I do agree that the modern day plot line was horrible. I couldn't tell you what it was even about. And Edward's story isn't all that exciting either.