PDA

View Full Version : "The Siege of Charles-Towne": Impossible. (Spoilers)

SupertoastGT
11-25-2013, 02:05 AM
What a freaking mess this mission is... I hate tailing missions, and every AC game ESPECIALLY this one, has tons of them. But THIS one is the single worst I have ever experienced in a video game by far. The usual "Stay close to the target, but not too close, or it's instant fail while surrounded by guards that instant fail on detection but you have to keep moving to keep up." BS wasn't bad enough, so you threw in complete darkness, horrible terrain, (that you can't see because of said darkness) and alligators that force quick time events right in front of guards... Ramped up the brightness on everything but could still barely see what I was doing, tried sleep darting the damned beasts, but more came. 15 retries... Who thought this was a good idea up there? Everything about these games are great, but these damned tailing missions are brick walls... Anyone know a magic trick to glitch through this? XD Thanks in advance.

ace3001
11-25-2013, 02:34 AM
What a freaking mess this mission is... I hate tailing missions, and every AC game ESPECIALLY this one, has tons of them. But THIS one is the single worst I have ever experienced in a video game by far. The usual "Stay close to the target, but not too close, or it's instant fail while surrounded by guards that instant fail on detection but you have to keep moving to keep up." BS wasn't bad enough, so you threw in complete darkness, horrible terrain, (that you can't see because of said darkness) and alligators that force quick time events right in front of guards... Ramped up the brightness on everything but could still barely see what I was doing, tried sleep darting the damned beasts, but more came. 15 retries... Who thought this was a good idea up there? Everything about these games are great, but these damned tailing missions are brick walls... Anyone know a magic trick to glitch through this? XD Thanks in advance.
Don't get into the swamp, ever, unless you're aiming for the optional objectives.
There is a set path through the wreck of an old ship you can follow over walls and stuff that'll let you avoid the swamp entirely and thus get rid of the crocodile problem.

http://i.imgur.com/pnmhfso.jpg

You will be placed here if you desynch once during the first section of the tailing part, so all you need to do is just go straight into the wreck, climb and go along it. You should be able to find a continuous path even after that, along trees and walls and such.

BATISTABUS
11-25-2013, 02:53 AM
Man, I loved this one. A really cool change of environment, and a really fun tail mission.

pacmanate
11-25-2013, 03:03 AM
Man, I loved this one. A really cool change of environment, and a really fun tail mission.

So did I, definitely my favourite tailing mission. and lol at op

RoBg03
11-25-2013, 03:13 AM
that was a tough one, mainly because of the darkness...i didnt think to turn up the brightness in the options till i started doing the diving missions...stupid me. btw, shouldnt they be aligators? not crocodiles? didnt think north america had crocs, crikey!

pacmanate
11-25-2013, 03:14 AM
You guys need to calibrate your TV's :P

ace3001
11-25-2013, 03:22 AM
that was a tough one, mainly because of the darkness...i didnt think to turn up the brightness in the options till i started doing the diving missions...stupid me. btw, shouldnt they be aligators? not crocodiles? didnt think north america had crocs, crikey!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_crocodile#Distribution_and_habitat
Possible, I guess.

itsamea-mario
11-25-2013, 03:25 AM
Well like, a lot of people have completed it, so i guess it's not actually "impossible".

AngryRaisin
11-25-2013, 04:08 AM
OP, any time you find yourself repeatedly attempting to accomplish a mission and failing, you simply need to change your approach as you are missing the intended way to complete it. Try a different path. It's really that simple.

MnemonicSyntax
11-25-2013, 04:13 AM
Probably the most fun I have on a mission, plus the rain and effects just make it look incredible.

ace3001
11-25-2013, 04:18 AM
Probably the most fun I have on a mission, plus the rain and effects just make it look incredible.
It was fun for sure. I experienced a rather hilarious glitch as well during that mission.

http://i.imgur.com/ABs47y2.jpg

BATISTABUS
11-25-2013, 09:43 AM
It was fun for sure. I experienced a rather hilarious glitch as well during that mission.

Oh my god he really is the Devil! lolololol

JamJar502
11-25-2013, 10:30 PM
I somehow managed to crash the game on this mission.

NeoMorph WTH
12-02-2013, 06:45 AM
I was enjoying it until it got the to chase part... AND I CANNOT FRACKIN DO IT.... Seriously.... if the free running system didn't frickin glitch up all the time and freeze (on Xbox One that is) and leaves Edward hanging doing nothing then yeah... it would be fun. But he jumps off in completely the wrong direction and when I went to shoot the guy HE TURNED 180 AND SHOT SOMEONE BEHIND ME.

Seriously... I loved the hell out of this game up to this missing but the free running chases are *******ed impossible for someone with a disability. The game has gone from a 9.5 down to a 2.

There was the same thing in AC3 which meant I couldn't complete that either. Fix the glitchy free running and yeah, it would be great fun. But almost getting there then suddenly to freeze up or the target glitches about 20ft ahead then OMG is it a frustrating mission. I just threw my controller across the room after the 180 shot. Going to have to cheat and try and find a video of how to get past this crap.

Kagurra
12-02-2013, 07:01 AM
I was enjoying it until it got the to chase part... AND I CANNOT FRACKIN DO IT.... Seriously.... if the free running system didn't frickin glitch up all the time and freeze (on Xbox One that is) and leaves Edward hanging doing nothing then yeah... it would be fun. But he jumps off in completely the wrong direction and when I went to shoot the guy HE TURNED 180 AND SHOT SOMEONE BEHIND ME.

Seriously... I loved the hell out of this game up to this missing but the free running chases are *******ed impossible for someone with a disability. The game has gone from a 9.5 down to a 2.

There was the same thing in AC3 which meant I couldn't complete that either. Fix the glitchy free running and yeah, it would be great fun. But almost getting there then suddenly to freeze up or the target glitches about 20ft ahead then OMG is it a frustrating mission. I just threw my controller across the room after the 180 shot. Going to have to cheat and try and find a video of how to get past this crap.

Not to be like... rude, but what's your disability? Games aren't really tailored to people with severe disabilities. :/

D.I.D.
12-02-2013, 07:34 AM

Sorry about your glitches. If you get a lucky run where the game works as it should, or if there's a patch fix, try not to run directly behind the target. I made the mistake of thinking I needed to stay directly behind him, but he kept getting to the final gate before I could get close enough. I eventually realised that you can kill him very early on in that chase. What you need to do is look left and right for any alternative routes, even if you think they'll slow you down. Test them out. I caught him on a point when he runs through two guards and then turns left. I noticed that if you break left there's a chance to hop over a wooden structure more quickly than he can turn the corner, so you actually get there slightly ahead of him and can take him down easily.

NeoMorph WTH
12-02-2013, 11:44 AM
Sorry about your glitches. If you get a lucky run where the game works as it should, or if there's a patch fix, try not to run directly behind the target. I made the mistake of thinking I needed to stay directly behind him, but he kept getting to the final gate before I could get close enough. I eventually realised that you can kill him very early on in that chase. What you need to do is look left and right for any alternative routes, even if you think they'll slow you down. Test them out. I caught him on a point when he runs through two guards and then turns left. I noticed that if you break left there's a chance to hop over a wooden structure more quickly than he can turn the corner, so you actually get there slightly ahead of him and can take him down easily.

I should have just packed in as rebooting the Xbox seems to have fixed the glitches that was happening. But then later on Edward got himself a power sword because the dammed thing was hammering this one enemy at about 1000 hits per minute. Haven't laughed so much in ages.

Going back to the mission, every video I saw had the pistols take down the bad guy in one shot. I had to hit and wound him and then chase him again and air assassinate him. Is there an upgrade to boost the power of the pistols?.

EDIT: OMG I AM AN IDIOT... Sorry... been doped up on painkilers and brain not working so well. I was still using the bog standard weapons and swords that Edward started with hehe.. I think I was doing well, considering.

NeoMorph WTH
12-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Not to be like... rude, but what's your disability? Games aren't really tailored to people with severe disabilities. :/

I suffer from Joint Hypermobility Syndrome. Basically the tendons in my joints are way too stretchy which means that it's easy to dislocated joints. I first dislocated my thumb playing COD4 of all things. But mainly they sublux (partial dislocate) all the time which caused PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNN N.

Ironically gaming is my diversion therapy... if you concentrate on a game then the pain takes a back seat. It's there, constant and nagging (even with the morphine) but gaming does help... and it helps if it is immersive like AC4 is.

The one thing that throws me with movement is that there is no fixed camera on Edward. It floats all over the place and a turn left one minute turns in a jump back at 45 degrees due to the movement being tied to the camera. Does my head in. I want to jump straight and the camera suddenly pans for no apparent reason other than to look cool and suddenly I am jumping into a wall. It's instances like that that my muscle memory has hard time handling now. I just wished the camera kept Kenway in the centre during combat. There was this one knife fight where I lost track of Edward and only after about 20 seconds of wondering why he was not responding that I realised I was watching one of the NPCs lol.

MnemonicSyntax
12-02-2013, 02:29 PM
I suffer from Joint Hypermobility Syndrome. Basically the tendons in my joints are way too stretchy which means that it's easy to dislocated joints. I first dislocated my thumb playing COD4 of all things. But mainly they sublux (partial dislocate) all the time which caused PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNN N.

Ironically gaming is my diversion therapy... if you concentrate on a game then the pain takes a back seat. It's there, constant and nagging (even with the morphine) but gaming does help... and it helps if it is immersive like AC4 is.

The one thing that throws me with movement is that there is no fixed camera on Edward. It floats all over the place and a turn left one minute turns in a jump back at 45 degrees due to the movement being tied to the camera. Does my head in. I want to jump straight and the camera suddenly pans for no apparent reason other than to look cool and suddenly I am jumping into a wall. It's instances like that that my muscle memory has hard time handling now. I just wished the camera kept Kenway in the centre during combat. There was this one knife fight where I lost track of Edward and only after about 20 seconds of wondering why he was not responding that I realised I was watching one of the NPCs lol.

If you push down the right joystick, it auto adjusts the camera.

Also, as Double said, don't take the path he does. There's all sorts of ramps and whatnot.

And since you didn't upgrade the guns and swords, yeah dude, I'd say you've done pretty well for yourself coming this far! Nice!

ospothe
12-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Enjoyed this mission, but I do think the tailing missions are overused in this game.

EaglePrince25
12-03-2013, 01:02 AM

What? :confused: Sounds like a problem with your tv. On mine, while the terrain is indeed dark (It's night after all in a somewhat swampy environment, makes sense.) I still have no problem seeing where everything is and moving around. I enjoyed the mission quite a bit.

Mr Geek
12-11-2013, 11:47 AM

I totally agree with the OP and not the "happy talkers" raving about how easy this mission was, acting like it was obvious to follow a certain path. My problem with this mission is that it's so out of place in comparision to the mission structure in the game. Fun killers for me are invisible walls, super darkness and a massive ramp up on difficulty IF you don't magically know to follow the "This Way Please" path through the mission area. Personally I have been really enjoying the tailing missions, I haven't found them obnoxious at all, a very nice change of pace BUT this Siege of Charles-Town sucks mainly in the "follow the rowboat" portion. Good game design is NOT to assume gamers will enjoy dying over and over while discovering ONE survable path through a mission area when invisible walls, darkness and alligators make discovery a real chore. Look, I love AC4 up to this point but this gimmicky mission really soured my time with it today. I mean, if there were other similar missions where you had to die often as you find safe routes then I would understand, but just to throw this mess at me made me want to smash the DVD! I love challenging games but I hate games that try to be more hardcore by simply making things difficult by creating a level/mission that is just poorly presented, in this case the difficulty is solely created by adding lots of invisible barriers, in a dark swamp that is loaded with alligators all while trying to not be detected or get too far behind the target AND you only have one survivable path through this dark area...fun!?!, not to me. If this mission was not so obviously crammed full of manufactured difficulty with the sole purpose of just being difficult then I may have enjoyed it. The game designers must have known that the only way for people to succeed in the follow the rowboat portion AND do the extra tasks like darting 3 alligators and skinning one too, was for the player to die, over and over OR find the single "happy path" avoiding all challenge....that's just not fun IMHO. Sorry I am not normally this negative, but this pile of do-do really was NOT fun.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Yeah, easy mission was easy. And I played without the hud. Didnt have any problem regarding darkness and such. Wish we could remove the FOLLOW mark over the boat as well, just as we could remove all other hud elements.. We have eyes, we can see Ubisoft.. :rolleyes: Extremely fun mission and perfect example of how land and ship-based gameplay meld together. Kudos for this mission. Was looking forward to it since a glimpse of it was shown in a demo or something a while ago. And was visually stunning too.

Regarding fullsync objective, yes they wee crap but who cares? Optional stuff is optional. I looked at them once and decided, bheh, not gonna do them. I still ended up skinning one alligator aanyhow, so I think the next time I'd see if I can't find two more to dart. Same as the second Principe mission. I was required to blow up barrels to fullsync. I looked at them once and moved on. Not worth it.

MnemonicSyntax
12-11-2013, 04:24 PM
I totally agree with the OP and not the "happy talkers" raving about how easy this mission was, acting like it was obvious to follow a certain path. My problem with this mission is that it's so out of place in comparision to the mission structure in the game. Fun killers for me are invisible walls, super darkness and a massive ramp up on difficulty IF you don't magically know to follow the "This Way Please" path through the mission area. Personally I have been really enjoying the tailing missions, I haven't found them obnoxious at all, a very nice change of pace BUT this Siege of Charles-Town sucks mainly in the "follow the rowboat" portion. Good game design is NOT to assume gamers will enjoy dying over and over while discovering ONE survable path through a mission area when invisible walls, darkness and alligators make discovery a real chore. Look, I love AC4 up to this point but this gimmicky mission really soured my time with it today. I mean, if there were other similar missions where you had to die often as you find safe routes then I would understand, but just to throw this mess at me made me want to smash the DVD! I love challenging games but I hate games that try to be more hardcore by simply making things difficult by creating a level/mission that is just poorly presented, in this case the difficulty is solely created by adding lots of invisible barriers, in a dark swamp that is loaded with alligators all while trying to not be detected or get too far behind the target AND you only have one survivable path through this dark area...fun!?!, not to me. If this mission was not so obviously crammed full of manufactured difficulty with the sole purpose of just being difficult then I may have enjoyed it. The game designers must have known that the only way for people to succeed in the follow the rowboat portion AND do the extra tasks like darting 3 alligators and skinning one too, was for the player to die, over and over OR find the single "happy path" avoiding all challenge....that's just not fun IMHO. Sorry I am not normally this negative, but this pile of do-do really was NOT fun.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Not sure why I was quoted, but here's my response.

Assassin's Creed has been teaching us to "follow the white sheets to start a free running sequence" since AC1. Each of the carts you're supposed to scramble up, has a white sheet on it. Those are the "visual" cues, and if there's no other way around a fence with guards blocking the way, the obvious answer is to go over.

I'm sorry you didn't find it fun, but it was very reminiscent of the Assassin Tombs and Romulus Lairs, just above ground. Most people are wanting to have those return, this was that idea through and through.

And I played this mission the first time and completed all constraints as well, first run. Didn't die. Vaulting, freerunning, stealth, assassination. It's all there in this mission and it was a great one.

SixKeys
12-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Apart from white sheets (which aren't in every mission), the devs have found other ways of highlighting the most obvious or "recommended" path. Usually it's a convenient sun/moonbeam or a street lamp that just happens to light up a particular area.

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 05:52 PM
What white sheets are we talking about? I'm drawing a blank, can anyone remind me? :confused:

pacmanate
12-11-2013, 05:56 PM
What white sheets are we talking about? I'm drawing a blank, can anyone remind me? :confused:

The sheets on boxes on stuff to show its the start of a free running thing.

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Still not remembering, certainly not this mission.. does it get tuned off with the hud? Because that'd explain why I can't remember it.. Any other mission having it, or better yet, a screenshot of it pls?

Farlander1991
12-11-2013, 08:22 PM
No, it's just in a lot of previous AC games boxes were it's effective to start a free-running path were covered in white sheets :) Just some visual design principles. It gets varied, in AC4 more so than in other games.

At any rate, The Siege of Charles-Towne so far is one of my favourite missions in the entire game so far (I'm on Sequence 8 right now, and to those wondering why I discuss the story in other threads if that's the matter, that's because I didn't resist and watched a walkthrough of the game when it was released on consoles :p ). Even the full synch objectives with crocodiles, as foolish as they are, I've completed on my first try without breaking a sweat. There's like a crocodile right in your path to use a sleep dart on and to skin at the very beginning of the ground tailing part, plus there's tons of other crocodiles all around the place which you can shoot just while waiting for the gunboat to pass.

pirate1802
12-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Oh right, like in Havana sometimes you'd have raised boxes on which you'd jump and from there to the next railing and then the next. Are we talking about such boxes?

TAZ427
12-11-2013, 10:54 PM

I believe this was supposed to be Charleston, SC (which would have been known as Charles-towne from it's founding in 1670 to 1783 when it was renamed Charleston.) The scenery would be representative. And no there wouldn't have been Crocs but definitely would have been Gators.

You'll find Crocs in the West Indies (Bahama's and Caribbean) and even the Everglades of Florida, but you won't find them North of that.

I'm surprised at Ubi for messing this up.

AherasSTRG
12-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Favourite mission of the game. And an easy one in fact... I can't believe people are actually failing missions in AC...

Landruner
12-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Probably the worse and uninspired, tedious, clumsy, boring and forced mission ever made for an Assassin Creed Game, and I mean it, this is actually the worse tailing mission and racing mission ever made in an AC! Not even the legendary AC3's Charles Lee race was not that bad, I can't see which one could have been worse in any previous games before that.

It is not the fact that it is impossible to do or else, it is just the one that made me understand that the AC 's devs need seriously help in the mission designs, conception and realization.
I was so disappointed because I guessed wrongly that this mission was going to be a winner for me, what a disappointment when I saw that the all stuff was turning into that boring and frustrating mess.

It is too bad because I actually liked the location which was cool (swamps and ruins...) and I wish honestly have enjoyed exploring that place, but alas with that stupid timer that goes on each time you turn around and loose the focus for a micro second on your target, I could not. The First part with the ship was okay, but after you release that tower it gets tedious and a total shore.

AngryRaisin
12-12-2013, 12:16 AM
Not sure why I was quoted, but here's my response.

Assassin's Creed has been teaching us to "follow the white sheets to start a free running sequence" since AC1. Each of the carts you're supposed to scramble up, has a white sheet on it. Those are the "visual" cues, and if there's no other way around a fence with guards blocking the way, the obvious answer is to go over.

I'm sorry you didn't find it fun, but it was very reminiscent of the Assassin Tombs and Romulus Lairs, just above ground. Most people are wanting to have those return, this was that idea through and through.

And I played this mission the first time and completed all constraints as well, first run. Didn't die. Vaulting, freerunning, stealth, assassination. It's all there in this mission and it was a great one.

Once again you've said exactly what I think! xoxo

P.S. Love the new sig!

AngryRaisin
12-12-2013, 12:19 AM
Probably the worse and uninspired, tedious, clumsy, boring and forced mission ever made for an Assassin Creed Game, and I mean it, this is actually the worse tailing mission and racing mission ever made in an AC! Not even the legendary AC3's Charles Lee race was not that bad, I can't see which one could have been worse in any previous games before that.

It is not the fact that it is impossible to do or else, it is just the one that made me understand that the AC 's devs need seriously help in the mission designs, conception and realization.
I was so disappointed because I guessed wrongly that this mission was going to be a winner for me, what a disappointment when I saw that the all stuff was turning into that boring and frustrating mess.

It is too bad because I actually liked the location which was cool (swamps and ruins...) and I wish honestly have enjoyed exploring that place, but alas with that stupid timer that goes on each time you turn around and loose the focus for a micro second on your target, I could not. The First part with the ship was okay, but after you release that tower it gets tedious and a total shore.

I'm truly baffled by this type of reaction. Any of you who found it "impossible" were simply missing the obvious and going about it wrong such as heading in the water at the start instead of up the wall or that sort of thing.

Landruner
12-12-2013, 12:31 AM
http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/LightUbiTheme/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Landruner http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/LightUbiTheme/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php?p=9431863#post9431863) Probably the worse and uninspired, tedious, clumsy, boring and forced mission ever made for an Assassin Creed Game, and I mean it, this is actually the worse tailing mission and racing mission ever made in an AC! Not even the legendary AC3's Charles Lee race was not that bad, I can't see which one could have been worse in any previous games before that.

I'm truly baffled by this type of reaction. Any of you who found it "impossible" were simply missing the obvious and going about it wrong such as heading in the water at the start instead of up the wall or that sort of thing.

I did not say it was impossible to do, read again above, I said it was a total shore and the most boring mission I ever played in an Assassin creed - What is obvious is that most don't even see that it is a total patchwork of recycled precious AC's tailing missions combined in one this time with a ship for AC4. what a creative innovation, seriously...

pacmanate
12-12-2013, 02:49 AM
Just played this now on PS4. GOD that mission is beautiful. The lighting, the fog and the chase make that mission probably one of my favourites.

Mr Geek
12-12-2013, 03:24 AM

So how do you skin an alligator without going into the water?

MnemonicSyntax
12-12-2013, 04:17 AM

I would agree that Chasing Charles Lee was better, except that ridiculous "Stay within 50 meters" constraint. Ubi even recognized how BAD it was by removing civilians from the mission because of the equally lame "don't bump anyone constraint." Despite those two, it was a very epic chase.

Once again you've said exactly what I think! xoxo

P.S. Love the new sig!

Thanks! It's good to know I'm not a "succubus" to everyone. The signature was made by turul9. He/she has some amazing skills!

Just played this now on PS4. GOD that mission is beautiful. The lighting, the fog and the chase make that mission probably one of my favourites.

I agree, I've used it to "demo" my friends the game on the lighting and weather conditions, though I fear it may get their hopes up for such incredible conditions the entire game. I mean, don't get me wrong, the game is amazing, but that level is just... I dunno... fun!

When I did the mission, I Sleep Dart'd the first gator to your right, jumped in the water, skinned him, ran up the dilapidated building and then after traversing the wall and getting back on the ground, I used Eagle Vision and found the remaining gators. It would involve some navigation, then turning it on again, (especially in the spot where there's some pillars and beams that go off to the left) you can just sit up there and sleep dart the other gators and not worry about skinning those.

That's how I did it anyway.

pirate1802
12-12-2013, 04:29 AM

Isn't it? Its simply breathtaking. I must be playing a different mission because here people are saying there was no time to see the beauty of the surroundings, and there I was taking screenshots like a newborn kid, looking at every direction, taking it all and also had enough time to do the optional constraints, stupid as they were in the first go.

I did not say it was impossible to do, read again above, I said it was a total shore and the most boring mission I ever played in an Assassin creed - What is obvious is that most don't even see that it is a total patchwork of recycled precious AC's tailing missions combined in one this time with a ship for AC4. what a creative innovation, seriously...

I don't think think anyone who liked that mission is under any illusion that this was some genius-level creative innovation. Infact if you'll look at this and past ACs, all of it, you'll find very little creative innovation. None of us who like it do so because its very innovative.

I fell down accidentally to the bottom of that wall-thing and was attacked by an alligator. I was like, wait you little *****, Imma kill and skin you! I wasnt even aware it was a fullsync condition lol

Mr Geek
12-12-2013, 04:48 AM
I find it interesting how vastly different opinions are on this mission. Seriously. It's like some of the posters work for Ubi or helped design this mission. I fully agree with the OP and a few others who seem much more realistic about exactly what this mission is. I see a few posts raving about how amazingly beautiful it is...huh? This mission is DARK, rampant with gray shades. It's loaded with timers and radius zones, invisible walls and optional tasks that encourage you to follow the "wrong" path into the water to skin alligators...personally I don't think there should be a WRONG path as many people are saying. The mission has very, very linear success paths through the dark murky theme, tossing away all feeling of open world game play most other missions contain. Personally I would much rather show my friends the vivid spender of daytime open ocean events or tropical island mayhem, instead of this dark, dreary super constrained and frustrating anomaly. This is just my opinion, I have read through this thread and understand that to many this is the best mission in the game, but no matter how I play this mission it is annoying, it is not beautiful at all. It's simply a dark, gimmicky, linear mission that seems to be meant to be difficult without cause. I love AC4 but this one single mission has really stained an other wonderful romp in this fantastic world.

AngryRaisin
12-12-2013, 04:55 AM

Well right at the beginning of the running sequence (after you've gotten off the Jackdaw) you cross a little canal of water that you can almost leap over and they are thick right there. Of course to skin them you have to get in the water but you don't need to trudge to through the water to find them. Is the optional objective to skin or just kill? I don't remember.

AngryRaisin
12-12-2013, 05:02 AM
I find it interesting how vastly different opinions are on this mission. Seriously. It's like some of the posters work for Ubi or helped design this mission. I fully agree with the OP and a few others who seem much more realistic about exactly what this mission is. I see a few posts raving about how amazingly beautiful it is...huh? This mission is DARK, rampant with gray shades. It's loaded with timers and radius zones, invisible walls and optional tasks that encourage you to follow the "wrong" path into the water to skin alligators...personally I don't think there should be a WRONG path as many people are saying. The mission has very, very linear success paths through the dark murky theme, tossing away all feeling of open world game play most other missions contain. Personally I would much rather show my friends the vivid spender of daytime open ocean events or tropical island mayhem, instead of this dark, dreary super constrained and frustrating anomaly. This is just my opinion, I have read through this thread and understand that to many this is the best mission in the game, but no matter how I play this mission it is annoying, it is not beautiful at all. It's simply a dark, gimmicky, linear mission that seems to be meant to be difficult without cause. I love AC4 but this one single mission has really stained an other wonderful romp in this fantastic world.

To each his own. I hear you and get your points but I definitely don't think people's love for it means they are Ubisoft insiders! LOL I am one who enjoyed the mission for the fact that it was the most similar to a tomb or lair in previous games as far as the variety of challenges and running sequences/obstacles. It definitely never occurred to me to describe it as "beautiful" though but the dark swamp was kind of a nice contrast. I'm just glad it was the only one though—wouldn't have like lots of time in the dark swamp! ;)

AngryRaisin
12-12-2013, 05:05 AM
Thanks! It's good to know I'm not a "succubus" to everyone. The signature was made by turul9. He/she has some amazing skills!

Wait, you're a chick? No wonder we "speak the same language"! LOL

Dang. For some reason I felt your energy to be male. Oh well. I'm sure I fool everyone most of the time too!

pirate1802
12-12-2013, 06:00 AM
I find it interesting how vastly different opinions are on this mission. Seriously. It's like some of the posters work for Ubi or helped design this mission.

Right, because if someone likes this mission they have to be working for Ubisoft. We apologize if we found this mission too easy, maybe we should go back and edit our posts to full agreement with OP.

I see a few posts raving about how amazingly beautiful it is...huh? This mission is DARK, rampant with gray shades.

Doesnt mean it can't still be beautiful. have you seen some of the concept art of the new Thief? Its dark and loaded with grey shades exactly as you said, yet its more beautiful than some of the more colourful and sunny games. Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder and all that, don't have to be surprised someone finds something beautiful that you don't, lol

It's simply a dark, gimmicky, linear mission that seems to be meant to be difficult without cause.

So much like old ACs. People should find it familiar then?

pirate1802
12-12-2013, 06:02 AM

Dang. For some reason I felt your energy to be male. Oh well. I'm sure I fool everyone most of the time too!

You're a chick too? Its becoming very common occurrence that people I think are male turn out to be females :( This is the 3rd time I've been fooled. Next thing I know, M would turn out to be a female..

MnemonicSyntax
12-12-2013, 06:13 AM

No, I'm a male. That's why being called a succubus was... uhm. Odd.

And Mr. Geek, just because we have a difference of opinion doesn't mean those that enjoyed the mission and what it offered work for Ubisoft. While that would be great, stating even a remote chance of that is a straw man argument. "Well, I don't agree with your opinion, therefore, you must work for Ubisoft."

Or it could just be, you know, we actually enjoy the mission and find it to be fun to do. That's not a possibility in the least though.

I wish I worked for Ubisoft though... >.>

AngryRaisin
12-12-2013, 06:14 AM
You're a chick too? Its becoming very common occurrence that people I think are male turn out to be females :( This is the 3rd time I've been fooled. Next thing I know, M would turn out to be a female..

Cheers to brazen women who are hardcore AC fans!! *Clink* < That was a shot of rum for ya mateys!

AngryRaisin
12-12-2013, 06:15 AM

And Mr. Geek, just because we have a difference of opinion doesn't mean those that enjoyed the mission and what it offered work for Ubisoft. While that would be great, stating even a remote chance of that is a straw man argument. "Well, I don't agree with your opinion, therefore, you must work for Ubisoft."

Or it could just be, you know, we actually enjoy the mission and find it to be fun to do. That's not a possibility in the least though.

OK, yeah, you totally threw me off with the Succubus comment and I wasn't successful at decoding it although I knew something was up as you put it in quotes. ;)

Landruner
12-12-2013, 08:56 AM

Incubus: is Male counterpart of the Succubus - I believe that it is what W... tried to say.....
Anyway, don't take offence I thought it was funny cute!
Nice signature you got by the way - That user that does these is very talented

Mr Geek
12-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Well right at the beginning of the running sequence (after you've gotten off the Jackdaw) you cross a little canal of water that you can almost leap over and they are thick right there. Of course to skin them you have to get in the water but you don't need to trudge to through the water to find them. Is the optional objective to skin or just kill? I don't remember.

One of the optional "100% Completion" tasks is to skin an alligator, the other was to use sleep darts on 3 alligators.

On my incessant whining about this mission...the problem I had with it is it felt out of place game play wise with most other AC4 missions. Suddenly taking a more exploratory path meant instant failure. I enjoy exploring, taking paths less traveled and trying to complete the 100% tasks. This mission just wasn't fun and got frustrating due to the multiple constraints and the environment. I get it, if you take the elevated path the mission is easy and fun...ok, it's easy, but there are other paths that are passable but lead to dead ends where you hit invisible walls where you have no option but to fail in frustration as time runs out due to your distance is too great to the rowboat...this is NOT easy, it's frustrating. THIS is the part I think some people feel is a "mess" and overly difficult or broken, I do. But I fully can understand if you never took the path less traveled that you would assume this mission was super easy. What does gets really, really old is when people (not you) seem to go out of their way to tell everyone how easy this mission is because they were fortunate in choosing which route to take. This thread is filled with people who are flabbergasted that anyone would have a hard time with this mission at all. Personally I think that's not helping anyone who came here for some advice or insight, just boasting how amazing they are. So anyway I'm done, sometimes I can't help chiming in especially when I see others having similar issues. Thanks for your particular rational conversation and genuine help :)

MnemonicSyntax
12-12-2013, 03:26 PM
One of the optional "100% Completion" tasks is to skin an alligator, the other was to use sleep darts on 3 alligators.

On my incessant whining about this mission...the problem I had with it is it felt out of place game play wise with most other AC4 missions. Suddenly taking a more exploratory path meant instant failure. I enjoy exploring, taking paths less traveled and trying to complete the 100% tasks. This mission just wasn't fun and got frustrating due to the multiple constraints and the environment. I get it, if you take the elevated path the mission is easy and fun...ok, it's easy, but there are other paths that are passable but lead to dead ends where you hit invisible walls where you have no option but to fail in frustration as time runs out due to your distance is too great to the rowboat...this is NOT easy, it's frustrating. THIS is the part I think some people feel is a "mess" and overly difficult or broken, I do. But I fully can understand if you never took the path less traveled that you would assume this mission was super easy. What does gets really, really old is when people (not you) seem to go out of their way to tell everyone how easy this mission is because they were fortunate in choosing which route to take. This thread is filled with people who are flabbergasted that anyone would have a hard time with this mission at all. Personally I think that's not helping anyone who came here for some advice or insight, just boasting how amazing they are. So anyway I'm done, sometimes I can't help chiming in especially when I see others having similar issues. Thanks for your particular rational conversation and genuine help :)

You didn't really ask for any help, except skinning an alligator, which two people (myself included) gave you hints on how to do it and 'get that part' out of the way.

I'm not "flabbergasted" either that you didn't enjoy it, that's your opinion. I'm "flabbergasted" at how many people want the linear "tomb" design from previous games back and this fits that bill and yet isn't being exactly well received.

I think you're being a bit negative here, as the people who have enjoyed this mission have stated that we enjoy it and why, while you're saying why you don't enjoy it (which is fine) and then throwing out insults and assumptions on top of that (not fine.)

There's no need to play the victim here, because no one is ganging up on anyone. You're just in the minority and there's nothing wrong with that. As far as help goes though, you only asked about the gator and how to skin it, which, like I said, a few of us told you the best way to do it.

In every single Assassin's Creed game, there's always a "best route" on purpose, by the level designers. This isn't something new to the franchise. While you aren't forced to take a certain route, sometimes finding that path can indeed make the mission much more fun.

And that slow motion alligator part? Suhweet!

pirate1802
12-12-2013, 04:12 PM
And that slow motion alligator part? Suhweet!

Totally!

I saw it in one of the preview videos and thought wow its cool. Then I completely forgot about it when I started playing. So I was pleasantly surprised to find it again, lol

TAZ427
12-12-2013, 04:22 PM

Hit L3 - Lock your target and then you can see them through walls and stuff. This gets rid of the timer concerns.

I'd only say the chase scene at the end was even remotely difficult about this. It took a couple tries, once to figure out I needed to slide and another to see the ramp to go over the wall quickly enough.

Heck, getting 100% tackling the Sage from above was more difficult than this IMHO.

pirate1802
12-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Yeah,, the first time I ended up killing the Sage lmao

TAZ427
12-12-2013, 04:33 PM

In all tailing missions there are wrong paths. You go the wrong way, you get to far away and you loose sync. Add that to the fact that you're in a Swamp, there's area's that are not going to be accessible period.

Also, you don't have to go out of your way to dart the crocs and skin one, there are at least a half dozen good places along the optimal path to dart crocs. There's at least two good places to skin them. (Yes I know they must really be gators, but the game listed them as crocs.)

Yes, it's dark, yes it's challenging to maneuver, you don't have as much options. Yes, it's easy to bumble a couple times, but overall it wasn't that difficult.

After doing the mission I watched a couple videos and I know for a fact that I didn't take the most optimal paths (until the chase scene) and I managed to make it unscathed.

If there wasn't a challenge to doing it, then I don't think I'd have enjoyed it near as much.

IWGCJoeCool
12-13-2013, 03:09 AM
the only problem i had with this mission was "Why am i messing with alligators, that are easily avoided, when i'm supposed to be trailing a rowboat?"

other than that, it was typical AC...the route is telegraphed to you, and anyone who has played at least half of a previous title knows this. the chase at the end was also typical, the right path and the wrong path...no path less travelled, and no mission ever had any sightseeing when there was a clock ticking or targets to keep in sight.

and when i say "typical", it's not in a bad way. i think it's fun to have played a series from the beginning, and finding that "expertise" carries over and makes me better at it sooner. you just gotta learn the one or two new wrinkles, usually to the weapon/tool system. everyone should play well, and be the assassin character whose shoes you walk in.

forget replay value, the regenerating warehouses and the GREAT naval make it a "keep playing" (at least until Initiates gets fixed :cool: )

PhilipsTrevor
12-14-2013, 07:37 PM
One person's frustration is another's challenge.

I found this mission quite entertaining!

tibor b
01-02-2014, 12:02 AM
I am completely stuck on the case. In general chases in AC4 are very slow for me, I don't seem to be able to get into free running mode, my guy is just doing the "slow run". I watched other videos and the player is leaning in to do the fast run but my guy just wouldn't do it. Any tips?

I am playing on xbox one and until now I would just hold down A to do the "fast run" but it does not seem to do it. I played all other AC games on the 360 and had no problems running.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=6BAA1EF586B67F9!106&authkey=!ANY3DJLytCRXIiU&ithint=video%2c.mp4

mikeyf1999
01-02-2014, 12:10 AM
For that sage mission I knew where to go only because of that mission in a C3 where you must tackle that one guy
Anyway but the alligators/crocodiles blowpipe Nuff said

MnemonicSyntax
01-02-2014, 12:18 AM
I am completely stuck on the case. In general chases in AC4 are very slow for me, I don't seem to be able to get into free running mode, my guy is just doing the "slow run". I watched other videos and the player is leaning in to do the fast run but my guy just wouldn't do it. Any tips?

I am playing on xbox one and until now I would just hold down A to do the "fast run" but it does not seem to do it. I played all other AC games on the 360 and had no problems running.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=6BAA1EF586B67F9!106&authkey=!ANY3DJLytCRXIiU&ithint=video%2c.mp4

Squeeze the trigger as hard as you can. If you already are, your controller might be busted or need replacement batteries.

aL_____eX
01-02-2014, 12:54 AM
Yeah,, the first time I ended up killing the Sage lmao
On PS3 it took my like 20 seconds to tackle the sage from above. When I played the mission again on PS4, I chased him for about 5 minutes through the whole city until Edward (or maybe suicide me) decided to take 30m jump on him from a not soooo-high wall - and it worked. :rolleyes: It just looked so ridiculous, the jump animation stopped while Edward still moved forward performing a split.

Injuring
01-02-2014, 05:10 AM

Actually liked this mission, it was a bit difficult and it took me a few tries but once I figured it out it was simple.

phoenix-force411
01-02-2014, 09:05 AM
You still have to get your hands dirty if you want full sync.. Still in ACIV, some Optional Objectives were pointless or hazardous to another optional objective. ACIII's were the worse. And I hope the person who suggested those OOs were fired.