PDA

View Full Version : Precaution to not lose your saves and progress.

YazX_
11-24-2013, 08:46 PM
i have seen many threads lately stating the problem of losing progress and saves, this is a common issue since Ubisoft implemented the option of syncing saves with the cloud, this option is buggy and it overwrites your saves with the cloud saves if there is a mismatch in saves assuming that cloud saves are always recent. this issue has been reported several times and never got fixed although the fix is too simple which is to give the user the option to keep local saves or overwrite it with cloud saves instead of just overwriting them without user knowledge.

Anyway, to counter this issue, in uplay settings , untick the option "Sync saves with the cloud". and then take periodic backups of your saves, they are located here:

Windows x64:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames\[GUID]\[GameID]

AC4:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames\[GUID]\273

Windows x86:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames\[GUID]\[GameID]

AC4:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames\[GUID]\273

[GUID]: This is a unique identifier (Random characters) for your UPlay Account.
[GameID]: Each Ubisoft game has a gameId, for AC4 the game id is 273.

every 2-3 days of playing, re-enable the sync option in UPlay, start the game and exit instantly to just upload your saves, then disable it again. if things went wrong which is unlikely, just copy over your saves backup.

ColonelSeven
11-24-2013, 08:48 PM
Tip: Check if Uplay is still running once in a while by pressing SHIFT+F2 in-game. If the Uplay Overlay doesn't pop up, Uplay is closed and NO PROGRESS IS SAVED.

Held_der_Arbeit
11-24-2013, 10:20 PM
I absolutely fail to understand why Ubisoft has STILL not fixed this...
After reading up on the issue a bit it turns out that this is not something AC4 specific but has been going on for YEARS..

I mean its as simple as deactivating that automatic overwrite really. We don't even want a functioning cloud, we just want a cloud that does not work AGAINST its own purpose. Instead of backing up our local gamefiles online in case they get lost, it overwrites them with corrupted ones. It's mental

YazX_
11-24-2013, 10:33 PM
I absolutely fail to understand why Ubisoft has STILL not fixed this...
After reading up on the issue a bit it turns out that this is not something AC4 specific but has been going on for YEARS..

I mean its as simple as deactivating that automatic overwrite really. We don't even want a functioning cloud, we just want a cloud that does not work AGAINST its own purpose. Instead of backing up our local gamefiles online in case they get lost, it overwrites them with corrupted ones. It's mental

This feature has been implemented in ACR times, i lost progress while i was playing it, since then i just followed the instructions i posted above, to be honest, its pretty handy to have your saves stored in the cloud but not in the way that it is implemented now, recently i formatted my PC and was able to recover my saves from the cloud, thats why you should upload your saves every 2-3 days.

EA Origin has this feature as well, but they give you the option to choose which saves to keep while posting each save date/time which is the right thing to do when there is a mismatch and most probably local saves are the most recent ones not the cloud ones.

Dag_B
11-24-2013, 11:09 PM
every 2-3 days of playing, re-enable the sync option in UPlay, start the game and exit instantly to just upload your saves, then disable it again. if things went wrong which is unlikely, just copy over your saves backup.
Is there any benefit in doing this?
I'm only playing on one PC so I do not see why I should need cloud saves?

YazX_
11-25-2013, 10:52 AM
Is there any benefit in doing this?
I'm only playing on one PC so I do not see why I should need cloud saves?

well, its good to keep a backup of your saves in remote server, i formatted my PC recently and forgot to take a backup of my saves for all previous AC games, so i was able to get them back because i had them uploaded in the cloud, so it has it benefits.

Corinarh
12-08-2013, 11:04 PM
didn't worked i still losing saves with unticked "Sync saves with the cloud"

YazX_
12-08-2013, 11:09 PM
didn't worked i still losing saves with unticked "Sync saves with the cloud"

then your problem is in the game not saving your progress, seems it fails with Access Is Denied error, try running the game as administrator, the one i posted above is the common problem with the cloud.

Corinarh
12-08-2013, 11:14 PM
nope i can load game menu without any problem and still losing saves and i'm running game as admin (same as uplay)

YazX_
12-10-2013, 10:40 AM
nope i can load game menu without any problem and still losing saves and i'm running game as admin (same as uplay)

i dont know man, i cant figure out your problem without having it infront of me, anyway, you can try ProcessMonitor (download it from microsoft) and add filter for AC4 process, then choose to only show file system activity and set it to log these events on a file. if there is an error it will show up on the log file stating the reason. (look for errors while accessing saves location)