PDA

View Full Version : The Journey of Edward Kenway.

patgarci
11-24-2013, 12:02 PM
So I just finished playing through the singleplayer of AC4 and can't help but be so intrigued with the story and character evolution of Edward Kenway.

[WARNING: SPOILERS]

A few general thoughts is that with Edward through a series of circumstances he ends up being embroiled into the secret war of the Assassins and Templar. But the real meat with the Edward story is his motivations. His motivations stems from his desire to have a good life for his wife Caroline as we see in his flashbacks and it is that what drives him to seek wealth and fortune as a pirate and how it conflicts with the ideals of both Templars and Assassins. 90% of the story you are not an Assassin which is a refreshing take on the franchise. As you play the game you end up having this 3rd party perspective that brings in those shades of grey and the Templar Assassin conflict is not all black and white.

Edward's blind and selfish motivations to pursue the observatory and its power is what ultimately led to the deaths of many friends around him from his pirate accolades to the Assassins. My favorite part of the story is when Mary (a.k.a Kidd) died and that when the hammer fell on Edward. As her death lead him to a deep drunken depression and hallucinations seeing all the people who had suffered because of him. Now here is where you get a great use of the phoenix metaphors personified. After going through his depression he finally realized the consequence of his actions and now vows to right his wrong and reforge him self choosing a new path and thus becoming a true Assassin earning the respect of both Assassins and Templars.

The ending was a sweet, sweet ending with having learned his wife Caroline died 2 years prior. Edward was greeted with his daughter now for him to raise her and take care of her. It may be short but that scene alone you can see how much the character of Edward have grown as he meets her daughter for the first time. With combination with the song Anne Bonny sung made it a nice heart warming ending. (Not going to lie I had Man Tears!!!).

So tell me what you think about the character journey of Edward? It really interesting for me and like to have some discussion on it.
Also I talked about the game overall here including my thoughts on Edward here: http://patgarci.blogspot.ca/2013/11/choosing-new-path-assassins-creed-4.html

LoyalACFan
11-24-2013, 12:11 PM
I think it's the most complete character development arc we've had in an AC game. Altair's development was boring and predictable, Ezio's development had some considerable narrative inconsistencies especially after his family died, and Connor's was plagued by bad writing and sharing half his game with Haytham. Edward's, on the other hand, felt pretty organic to me. He began as sort of a bastard, but through the events of the story and seeing what his lifestyle was doing to his friends, he became such a better person.

And yeah, the Parting Glass always makes me emotional, but I was on the verge of (incredibly manly) tears when I heard it this time. Whoever voiced Bonny did a fine job of it with that song.

The_Heisenberg
11-24-2013, 12:24 PM
And yeah, the Parting Glass always makes me emotional, but I was on the verge of (incredibly manly) tears when I heard it this time. Whoever voiced Bonny did a fine job of it with that song.

I too was on the verge of shredding some manly tears. You know, because i'm super tough.

ace3001
11-24-2013, 12:30 PM
I felt the story ended too soon. I'm also mad that they went and showed a cute moment with Edward and his daughter when it was already established that they weren't going to have a very good relationship later on.

Also, I think this thread title needs a spoiler tag.

LoyalACFan
11-24-2013, 12:39 PM
I felt the story ended too soon. I'm also mad that they went and showed a cute moment with Edward and his daughter when it was already established that they weren't going to have a very good relationship later on.

I don't think they had a bad relationship until much, much later, when he wanted her to marry Birch and all that.

pacmanate
11-24-2013, 01:06 PM
And yeah, the Parting Glass always makes me emotional, but I was on the verge of (incredibly girly prancy in a field with roses) tears when I heard it this time. .

Yes.