PDA

View Full Version : Too bad they wrapped up Edwards story in one game

tymaster50
11-24-2013, 02:30 AM
Really would have liked to see a trilogy, I actually liked the pirate stuff in this game, even though i diislike all pirate things in real life (never even seen pirates of the carribean and I will probably never watch it, even if I was offered the chance).I feel like they could have easily made this 2 games though, everybody died so quickly when it was getting to the end

The topic title implies spoilers so I might as well post it

They killed blackbeard too fast and torres was uneventful. Ed just killed the 5 of the guys that were dangerous to him in like 2 sequences lol.

TheDanteEX
11-24-2013, 02:44 AM
Depends on how you play it. I had all side activities and missions done by the time I got to the end of the game, and I felt like I got a complete game. The story is spread out well enough as each sequence has a premise rather than just having things happening for no clear reason. If you play through the story mainly, it's only to be expected that the seven years this game covers feels fast-paced. I'm glad we aren't getting one story broken up into multiple games. We don't need another trilogy of the same game with a different coat of paint.

Spider_Sith9
11-24-2013, 02:46 AM
Read Forsaken

tymaster50
11-24-2013, 02:47 AM
Depends on how you play it. I had all side activities and missions done by the time I got to the end of the game, and I felt like I got a complete game. The story is spread out well enough as each sequence has a premise rather than just having things happening for no clear reason. If you play through the story mainly, it's only to be expected that the seven years this game covers feels fast-paced. I'm glad we aren't getting one story broken up into multiple games. We don't need another trilogy of the same game with a different coat of paint.

I happened to like the Ezio trilogy. Edwards life may not have been as action packed as Ezios but I would have liked to have seen Eds roots and why he became a pirate/how he got his skills. We don't need to be assassins all the itme, it was kinda cool seeing him grow into the role instead of being born in it.

DetroitPlaya
11-24-2013, 02:52 AM
According to the writer, the Templar trained him to assassinate like he does (when you meet them the first time, they specify how they want to see the kills). If you look back, it's actaullly true.

Pirates are agile and generally good figthers, so hardly needs an explanation. He explained why he became a pirate in the game.

I will likely pick up Forsaken, as I want to read about Haytham's training and the mother. :)

mukwag
11-24-2013, 02:54 AM
No.

MnemonicSyntax
11-24-2013, 03:32 AM
Really would have liked to see a trilogy, I actually liked the pirate stuff in this game, even though i diislike all pirate things in real life (never even seen pirates of the carribean and I will probably never watch it, even if I was offered the chance).I feel like they could have easily made this 2 games though, everybody died so quickly when it was getting to the end

The topic title implies spoilers so I might as well post it

They killed blackbeard too fast and torres was uneventful. Ed just killed the 5 of the guys that were dangerous to him in like 2 sequences lol.

They left it open. Woodes Rodgers survives and flees to London.

LoyalACFan
11-24-2013, 05:30 AM
They left it open. Woodes Rodgers survives and flees to London.

Probably to be killed by Adewale in Freedom Cry, if I had a guess. He did eventually go back to the Caribbean, and he was a slaver, so...

MnemonicSyntax
11-24-2013, 05:39 AM
Part of me hopes you're right. Part of me does not. It's 50/50. I loved Edward, and the naval stuff and would love to see it continue.

ace3001
11-24-2013, 06:07 AM
They didn't wrap it up by any means. Hell, there's even a lot uncovered between AC IV and Forsaken.

Thayin2012
11-24-2013, 06:14 AM
I think an entirely modern day Assassin's Creed could work. I really enjoyed the Desmond missions in AC3, except for the ones in the Temple. I was disappointed that you couldn't replay them like the other missions. I think that having no HUD was definitely a positive part of it. I would buy a game where the two different elements (modem and present day were swapped, in terms of length.

DetroitPlaya
11-24-2013, 01:26 PM
I see AC IV more of a Kenway-line wrap-up, not just Edward. I'm fairly certain that after the Ezio Trilogy, Ubisoft said they won't be doing any more games where you play the same ancestor over multiple games.

In AC III they referred to Edward, and I personally like that they made a game that shows how Haytham's father was before he became a member of the creed. I don't feel the need to drag it out over multiple games. And releasing books for some extra in-between moments about the ancestors, is really nice. After all, the AC games are - whether people like it or not - driven by the modern story. And there's no reason to dwell more in the Kenways' history, as they gained the information they need from them.

And sure, some people will think "They can just add something more!!", but why? So you can play more of the same for no proper story reason? The Ezio Trilogy was because Desmond (and the group) needed training, info, and etc.

ace3001
11-24-2013, 02:18 PM
After all, the AC games are - whether people like it or not - driven by the modern story.
How I wish this was the case. The truth is that it's now the opposite. Why they even keep the modern day story anymore beats me. AC IV completely proved that they just tacked it on out of tradition rather than tell a proper story with it.

DetroitPlaya
11-24-2013, 02:21 PM
How I wish this was the case. The truth is that it's now the opposite. Why they even keep the modern day story anymore beats me. AC IV completely proved that they just tacked it on out of tradition rather than tell a proper story with it.

I personally disagree. I think IV finally did it in a good way. :)

But I gathered all the side stuff and such, maybe that's why.

tymaster50
11-24-2013, 02:28 PM
The modern day in this game was annoying yeah easily the weakest part of the game, i hated that last frogger minigame with the cloud. Everything else was great though I want to play as Ed some more, he seems the most "human" out of all the antagonists, They treat Altair like a god, Ezio like Jesus, and Connor like a potato, then you have Ed who is the most relatable, there isn't a personal quest for him he always wanted the money and he indirectly was a savior of the entire world lol

xCHEMISTx
11-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Adewale is going to get a decent chunk of the story from the upcoming DLC. Edward seemed to get his fair share. I enjoyed the comparing the story of the real life pirates to the actual history more then anything. They could make a whole game on the story of Blackbeard.

DetroitPlaya
11-24-2013, 02:32 PM
I want to play as Ed some more, he seems the most "human" out of all the antagonists, They treat Altair like a god, Ezio like Jesus, and Connor like a potato, then you have Ed who is the most relatable, there isn't a personal quest for him he always wanted the money and he indirectly was a savior of the entire world lol

The funny thing about Edward, is that even he's not an assassin (while we play as him).. He actually did have a significant role in saving the creed.

Had Duncan succeeded, no one would have stopped the templars, and they would have killed the assassins. Plus, they would have obtained the Crystal Skull.

I suppose that's why the assassins eventually forgive him. He might have killed Duncan, and lots of the assassins - but hadn't he done it, would it be far worse.

Adewale is going to get a decent chunk of the story from the upcoming DLC. Edward seemed to get his fair share. I enjoyed the comparing the story of the real life pirates to the actual history more then anything. They could make a whole game on the story of Blackbeard.

They say it's 3 hours, meaning it likely is 2 hours.. (just look at the Aveline DLC - which is 40 rather than 60 minutes.

tymaster50
11-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Just realizedi said antagonists lol hopefully people knew what I meant. And yeah I felt the Assassins owed it to him, he only killed like maybe 5 assassins at the most but it actually worked out for them. That guy had a stick up his *** or somethng.

xCHEMISTx
11-24-2013, 04:36 PM
They say it's 3 hours, meaning it likely is 2 hours.. (just look at the Aveline DLC - which is 40 rather than 60 minutes.

3 hours of cut scenes or 3 hours of gameplay?

DetroitPlaya
11-24-2013, 04:41 PM
3 hours of cut scenes or 3 hours of gameplay?

"Born a slave, Adéwalé found freedom as a pirate aboard Edward Kenway's ship, the Jackdaw. 15 years later, Adewale has become a trained Assassin who finds himself shipwrecked in Saint-Domingue without weapons or crew. He now has to acquire a ship and gather his own crew to free the slaves and avenge them. Over 3 hours of new single-player gameplay!"

xCHEMISTx
11-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Over 3 hours of new single-player gameplay!"

That's good. I prefer to pay for gameplay rather then cut scenes. I think there are plenty of cut scenes when you factor in all the Templar Hunts and other side missions.

DetroitPlaya
11-24-2013, 06:19 PM
That's good. I prefer to pay for gameplay rather then cut scenes. I think there are plenty of cut scenes when you factor in all the Templar Hunts and other side missions.

Still, I don't believe it will be 3 hours until I see it.

With Aveline we were promised 60 minutes, and I got just under 40 minutes. 1/3 less than promised is quite a lot to be completely honest.

guardian_titan
11-24-2013, 07:31 PM
If Connor's gotten left in the dust, though, don't expect Edward to get anything more, especially since he likely has even less time to play with than Connor does. At the most, Edward (and Connor) might get a movie or possibly another book. I'd settle for either.
Woodes Rogers dies in 1732, 3 years before Edward. Adéwalé's DLC is 1737, 5 years later. Either Edward manages to kill Woodes before he died, Woodes is killed by the Caribbean Assassins (including Adéwalé), or he just dies from an illness. I could've sworn Aveline's DLC was 5 years after her game ended which was 1777, but apparently could be in 1784. After reading her database entry, it stated "by 1784" she was doing missions regularly for Connor so suggests she started to do missions for Connor before 1784 but more sporadically. So possible the 15 years later bit for Adéwalé could be a lie and could be 10 years later, but why state 15 then? Woodes could die at the start putting the beginning of the DLC in 1732 and ending in 1737. One of the achievements says to free 500 slaves which is insane. Either you free plantations and free like 50 slaves each time or that's a LOT of rescuing. But I wouldn't count on Adéwalé getting a lot of development. How much can he be developed in (supposedly) 3 hours? Chances are 20 minutes of that is cutscenes, if that. So the guy's got maybe 20 minutes of actual development. I don't see his story really going anywhere. The only thing I see happening is that we either find out Adéwalé knew Achilles or somehow is related to Aveline and/or Achilles ... or Agaté.
When you really look at Edward, how much more can they really do with him? Haytham's born in December 1725, so 3 years and 2 months (roughly) after AC4 ends. Yeah, there's loopholes in Edward's story like Woodes Rogers, when he actually became an assassin, the blood vials, how he met Tessa and Reginald, what happened to the Jackdaw, etc, but Connor has loopholes, too. What did Juno mean by him still having things to do? Who'd he marry? Who's Desmond's ancestor? What happened to Davenport in the early 1800s that resulted in Connor losing it? What happened to the Aquila? Where's the Shard of Eden Connor found doing the Pegleg missions? Did Connor become the American Mentor? Did Connor officially take the name Kenway since that keeps popping up in various spots? We know the AC4 tie-in novel is a prequel to AC4 so that covers Edward's years before being a pirate. Chapter 3 of the novel is actually in AC4 if you hack the right computer. Whether or not it fills in 1723-1733 remains to be seen (I doubt it, though), but from 1733 onward is covered by Haytham in Forsaken ... outside of a gap of years that Haytham omitted for one reason or another in the latter 1750s and 1760s which is the same time frame where he pretty much dismantled the American Assassins. Rather convenient to not cover that time so is it intended to be another game in the future perhaps via Achilles's eyes or just meant to be left as a gap? Would be interesting to see that time frame via Haytham's POV. You'd think Abstergo would want to cover Templars since they'd have to be edited less to make their group look like the better one, and the marketing analysis videos suggest they'd prefer Templar friendly (or easy to edit) main characters. But given the time frame that's MIA from Forsaken for Haytham is after Connor's born, I don't see that as being a playable game, either.
While the Animus is a cool idea, it does kind of write Ubisoft into a corner. The ancestor has a kid young, that cuts their story short. The ancestor has a kid too old and that leads to other problems like how realistic is it for a guy in his 60s to be jumping across rooftops assassinating people on the streets below without breaking anything and them dying when the kid's young (among other problems) resulting in the kid possibly ending up a Templar like Haytham did. Suppose we should be thankful Ubisoft hasn't pulled a Sopranos and cut the game short mid-sentence ... or more likely mid-scene. Imagine how pissed people would be with that. Also using the ancestor idea, you know each Assassin followed had a kid at some point and obviously died. Question becomes who they had the kid with, did they marry or even love that person, when/where did they die, and potentially where were they buried? But really thinking about it, if memory is recorded genetically, then shouldn't each person not only record their ancestors memories in their DNA but also their own? So wouldn't it just be easier for Abstergo to go graverobbing and steal skeletons like Edward's (what's left of him anyway), Haytham, Connor, etc than to chase poor Desmond, etc around? A skeleton can't run away and can just be shut into a box when you're done with it. That'd let them view the person's memories from birth to death and not be cut off by the conception of a child. It'd also allow for viewing people who died childless for whatever reason. All Abstergo would really need would be a single tooth from the subject since DNA is pretty well preserved in them and less likely to be contaminated. Teeth can sometimes even survive fires so Edward could have a tooth or two still intact in his grave.

Malevolence97
11-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Ya I agree. Edward was a good character and very likable. I just hope they never do Connor again.... ugh....

lothario-da-be
11-24-2013, 09:41 PM
I am happy they wrapped up his story in 1 game. Although i hope for a game with 3 sequences Edward, 3 seq Haytham, and 6 more with Connor. Everyone would be happy and the whole Kenway saga would be complete.