PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed IV crashes if GPU is overclocked

Abbysion
11-23-2013, 03:33 AM
The game doesn't seem to run well on an overclocked GPU. I'm running an MSI GTX 670 Power Edition (which is already factory overclocked). The game runs well enough, I have maxed everything and I get an average of around 30 fps almost anywhere in the world. Anyway, if I use MSI Afterburner, I can't seem to increase the core clock or memory clock without the game crashing after about half an hour of gameplay.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I'm using the latest drivers (331.82 WHQL). This is kind of a letdown, as I could probably get a few more fps with a slight overclock, but no GPU overclock seems stable in this game.
Any other game runs well if I overclock the GPU (which I normally do), including other uplay games such as previous AC games and Splinter Cell Blacklist.

Rest of setup
Intel i5-3570K @4.4 GHz
8 GB (2 x 4 GB) @1866
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
MSI GTX 670 PE

strigoi1958
11-23-2013, 04:09 AM
Probably the driver. Nvidia have a "green light" project coming soon and all motherboards will have to be reference speed and submitted to Nvidia for the green light to start production. Any overclocking will be done automatically by "boost" (I think that's what I read) and any software like afterburner will not be allowed to be bundled in with the card. Nvidia are going to stop people buying a mid range card and O/C it to a point where it can almost compete with an expensive card.
Posts on the Nvidia forum suggest declocking to reference speeds to gain stability... that's a bit annoying as I bought my factory overclocked card as it gives me a great frame rate at 1920 x 1080 and as it was authorised by nvidia I don't feel I should declock it.
There's a growing band of people uninstalling geforce experience and running 314.22 until we're either forced to declock or buy a new reference card or drivers become more compatible.
Newer drivers since 314.22 completely at random affect some cards. At first it was fermi based then 400 and 500 series... now 600 and 700 series cards and the odd titan !!! strangely enough some mid range cards on old drivers out perform better cards with newer drivers while others perform as they should with the expensive cards getting better FPS.
It's just the luck of the draw.

I can only suggest you try different drivers till you get a more stable driver to run afterburner (and uninstall geforce experience).

FrostMS
11-23-2013, 04:29 AM
I am have a similar issue and have the exact same card, the 2gb version. I have my card at factory overclock, I have not messed with it. After an hour or so of game play, my system switches to the desktop. I can still see the game running,but am unable to go back to the game and have to end process the program. I have also gotten one apphang crash error. I haven't tried everything, but I have:

Updated to newest drivers.
Updated multiple version of direct X including the one in the black flag common redist folder.
Verifyed the game cache, multiple times. With restarts in between.
Turning off vysnc and trying various other graphics options.

Guess next I'll try to under clock the core by 100 and the memory by 200 and see how that goes.

I have also had no problems with Blacklist, I have played that game for a number of hours with no crashes.

UdyrXinTheHouse
11-23-2013, 06:50 AM
It can't be the GPU -

I'm running MSI - GTX660 Twin Frozr OC Edition. Not a single problem in the world with it so far. (50% into game)

strigoi1958
11-23-2013, 03:52 PM
It can't be the GPU -

I'm running MSI - GTX660 Twin Frozr OC Edition. Not a single problem in the world with it so far. (50% into game)

Yes that's the trouble it is quite random... 3 identical machines with the latest driver can have one running perfectly with a good FPS, the next one getting poor FPS and the 3rd crashing... even Nvidia have given out loaner cards so they can test user cards in the lab to try to recreate the problems. I stick with driver 314.22 as it is the most compatible and on the nvidia forum some guy posted getting 120 FPS on BF4 but gets a warning to update drivers every time he plays....

TaquitoDK
11-23-2013, 04:13 PM
I have a MSI GTX 680 Lightning with an overclock of 1306mhz core clock and 6800mhz memory clock and so far no crashes

Timothy977
11-23-2013, 07:14 PM
I'm having the same problem with a EVGA GTX780 SC ACX. It OC's fine with BF4 or splinter cell but after 5-10m AC4 crashes. Temps look good, etc. Not sure.

Run pretty well stock for stock... but hey, more is always better.

Voyager456
11-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Same here i overcloacked my gtx 760 by 100 mhz on core and 200 on memory works in every game exepct ac4
i yesterday played for 6 hours lot of diffrent games without a single chrash and then as soon as i start ac4 after 2 minutes of gameplay it chrashes:confused:

builderman912
12-02-2014, 04:34 PM
The game doesn't seem to run well on an overclocked GPU. I'm running an MSI GTX 670 Power Edition (which is already factory overclocked). The game runs well enough, I have maxed everything and I get an average of around 30 fps almost anywhere in the world. Anyway, if I use MSI Afterburner, I can't seem to increase the core clock or memory clock without the game crashing after about half an hour of gameplay.

I'm using the latest drivers (331.82 WHQL). This is kind of a letdown, as I could probably get a few more fps with a slight overclock, but no GPU overclock seems stable in this game.
Any other game runs well if I overclock the GPU (which I normally do), including other uplay games such as previous AC games and Splinter Cell Blacklist.

Rest of setup
Intel i5-3570K @4.4 GHz
8 GB (2 x 4 GB) @1866
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
MSI GTX 670 PE

Msi gtx 670 pe
i2500k
8g 1600 ram
msi board p8 something or other

with no overclock on cpu and nothing but factory on gpu, i start off in the 30-40 fps range, after 10 mins into 10 fps

set up a basic OC and it starts into loading the actual start of game and hangs, taskmanager starts, but doesnt work and have to shutdown

lowered the OC, same result

just tried bf4 with OC on gpu and ive never seen it so nice! heck with AC....ill play that when my 970 GE gets here

USAdystopia
12-02-2014, 08:43 PM
If you're trying to OC an already OCd card you may get a benefit from a small voltage increase.

del170919084429
12-02-2014, 10:41 PM

Rest of setup
Intel i5-3570K @4.4 GHz
8 GB (2 x 4 GB) @1866
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
MSI GTX 670 PE

I have seen some cards actually run games worse oced than when they are stock or oced from the factory. Chances are that if you are crashing it is because your card cannot handle the oc. try water cooling it allows a little more head room for ocing. one more thing just because your card can run in benchmarks, that's not real world. Benchmarking a card and running games uses different functions of the card at different times. So just because your able to run a benchmark successfully on a card doesn't mean it will handle in game. Good luck

DanonMight
12-03-2014, 12:06 AM
I have my gtx 780 overclocked, also my i5 2500k to @4Ghz and game run smooth on ultra, no problems at all maybe besides cinematic.

VoxstelarRUM
12-03-2014, 04:27 AM

Rest of setup
Intel i5-3570K @4.4 GHz
8 GB (2 x 4 GB) @1866
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
MSI GTX 670 PE

MSI GTX 770 here and I don't have any problem, latest driver installed. CPU clocked at 4.4 ghz and GPU clocked @ 1308 mhz and VRAM @8010 mhz and runing perfectly.