PDA

View Full Version : Faults with ACIV *SPOILERS*

Wolfmeister1010
11-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Assassin's Creed IV is the best AC ever. And saying that its game world isnt extremely fun and filled with things to do would be an insult to ubisoft.

But, like all games, it has its faults. And there are some things that should have been put in.

1. TRUE dynamic encounters:

Roaming the seas is fresh and fun, but land based gameplay is quickly tiring. It is the same old running around doing contracts and killing guards. One of the things that makes an open world game great is dynamic encounters. And although ACIV features "save pirate" scenarios, they dont feel deep or immersive enough. AC needs dynamic encounters like chasing a thief, saving a woman being harassed by drunks, a perfect scenario to show off the free aiming, like having a guy threatening to cut a woman's throat and you need to shoot him exactly in the head. Maybe make those random little islands littering the sea (where you find treasures and animus fragments) more fun by placing NPCs who are marooned pirates, who are insane and hostile if you get too close.

See how many of these dynamic encounters you can come up with and post them below. I am interested to hear them.

Places like the fishing towns, once you complete the contracts and stuff, become absolutely pointless. No enemies, only a bar. Adding these small dynamic encounters would increase the fun of these locations and the game tenfold. Dont believe me? Just imagine Red Dead Redemption. Yeah, thats what I thought.

It is about time that AC gets PROPER dynamic encounters introduced in the game worlds. Hopefully in the next game, this is something that will be addressed.

2. The hideout

From all the weird glitches and interactable ******s in the hideout who shouldnt be there according to Darby, (i think it was him who said that, as it does not portray edwards character well) the hideout was one of those things in the game that they kinda turned a blind eye towards. The hideout is literally useless. The only benefits are aesthetics, and those arent even done very well. I mean, I actually want to clean up the town a bit, maybe fix that broken windmill by the manor, or put in paved roads, or SOMETHING. Maybe add some actual missions attributing to renovating the town, or at least make it so that you get a discount buying from those stores you bought.

I dont know. What do you think they could have done to make the hideout mofe important?

3. Combat-already talked about in different thread

4. Mission constraints-...pretty self explanatory

The list of my faults with the game is substantially shorter than for AC3, but these things really should have been improved or added into the game.

ACfan443
11-22-2013, 11:37 PM
The utilisation of Havana.

They decided to finally return to a traditional AC styled city and the portion of story taking place in it was extremely minimal and the city felt neglected. We were there at the beginning and end of the game only momentarily, and spent most of the time in Kingston, Nassau and the open ocean. It feels like it was just shoehorned into the game to please older fans who were longing for a return to the verticality, density and irregular layout/rooftop structure of the older cities. This in turn made Havana utterly forgettable (in spite of all the side content it was filled with).

captin_qwark7
11-23-2013, 12:03 AM
Agree with all of this. Especially having unique dynamic encounters. Please make this happen Ubi.

XLT sMasHerZZX
11-23-2013, 12:46 AM
AC needs dynamic encounters like chasing a thief, saving a woman being harassed by drunks, a perfect scenario to show off the free aiming, like having a guy threatening to cut a woman's throat and you need to shoot him exactly in the head

It's either a huge coincidence or on purpous, but the dynamic encounters you listed are all in the game 'Red Dead Redemption.'

Kudos if it's on purpous though, that was a great game.

roostersrule2
11-23-2013, 01:08 AM
AC IV is the second best AC ever. The game world is fun and there was a lot of stuff to do but the map repeats itself, all the fishing villages are basically the same.

1. Story: The story was ****, the start of the game was unfocused and when it all started to come together it was just a man chasing some gold.

2. Combat: It's okay but I preferred AC3's.

3. I've hardly bothered with the hideout, I guess it adds to the game but it has no real purpose.

4. Random events will never be done properly by Ubi, I have accepted this.

ze_topazio
11-23-2013, 01:42 AM
The cities are beautiful but the story barely uses them.

AC games will never have the level of random details Red Dead and GTA have, because producers simply don't have enough time for that.

ace3001
11-23-2013, 05:48 AM
The utilisation of Havana.

They decided to finally return to a traditional AC styled city and the portion of story taking place in it was extremely minimal and the city felt neglected. We were there at the beginning and end of the game only momentarily, and spent most of the time in Kingston, Nassau and the open ocean. It feels like it was just shoehorned into the game to please older fans who were longing for a return to the verticality, density and irregular layout/rooftop structure of the older cities. This in turn made Havana utterly forgettable (in spite of all the side content it was filled with).
Fully agree with this. I was so happy when I first saw Havana in gameplay videos, especially since the cities in AC III almost bored me to sleep. And then I was happier when I actually set foot in Havana in-game.
But then, so disappointed when they barely used it after the first few seqeunces. I can't understand why they did this. Such a beautifully designed city, but so underused. I wonder whether new fans don't like roof running or something. One reason that I hated AC III's cities was that they were so terrible for roof running.
Oh, well, at least Kingston is not as bad as New York and Boston were.

saicharanb93
11-23-2013, 06:22 AM
Totally agree about the dynamic encounters and about the hideout. I hope the guys at Ubi are reading your post.

Landruner
11-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Here is a list bellow that I made up from a quick synthesis from the posts of lot of people from this forum including some previous threats from Wolfmeister1010 and some of my personal opinion.

1/ Random encounters Yes definitely OP even opened a previous thread about it, and a lot of ideas and suggestion had been given there (Several situation types of random encounters on the cities, villages, and wherever it was possible to meet some of those)

2/ Hideout - Yes, it gives you some money to spend on - However; it will have been nicer to have some more activity (Missions and interaction with NPCs in Great Inagua and more opportunity to enlarge or rebuilt the city like OP suggested. OP opened a thread about it and a lot of people gave idea there as well.

3/ Combat system - like OP mentions a lot of previous threads and a lot of explanation, ideas and suggestions are there.
Same thing for the stealth (improved, enhanced and re-worked with technology available now), AI and the mission design notably for the assassin missions , and social stealth as well.

4/ Mission constraint and gameplay like mentioned above some ideas had been given regarding the enhancement of the mission via different threads for the past weeks.

5/ Personal concerns, but I read it also in some other posts from other Users as well: Useless collection - I personally think that the most useless piece of this game is the collection of the pieces of Animus, I don't see the use of getting those if not getting to same use of the collection of the 420 flags in AC1 in order to expand the game...? I don't know? certainly something like that...

6/ The forts - Nice but alas I just regret that they did not offer some variant in the scenario of the attack and they also did not offer the opportunity for the player to either attack it by ship or take it silently by snaking inside. I regretted that once taken they are not subject once in a while or time to time to be re-challenged and player could in this case try to defend the fort or if lost, player could take it back by the same way I describe above. This had been mentioned in a previous thread opened by the OP.

7/ The same thing for the boarding of the ships I just regretted that it was always the same action possible over and over and think that time to time the scenarios could offer a bit more variants in the boarding process with some surprises sometimes - Also it will have been nice to get some opportunity to take some ship by stealth boarding (for a sabotage for instance instead of boarding) - depending of the scenarios variants - some ideas had been proposed in some other thread for the past weeks and I believe OP opened a thread about it as well.

8/ I also wished that the islands offered a bit more place to visit and be expended in order to offer different place to visit (For instance going from a fishing village via the jungle to get to a plantation and then still by a path to the jungle getting to a smuggler hideout, or a cave or a temple the all thing in the same island) - Also, I wished that the villages offered some little additional missions (which could have been easily compensated if random encounter was happening, I believe)

9/ Lack of weapon varieties as a lot of threads mentioned and OP mentioned in another thread, lack of offering the player to choice and carry the weapons he/she wants to use, and the lack of some old arsenal from the past games that could have re-introduced and improved for Edward to use, I know some could disagree with that, but they were offering a nice replay value

10/ Modern days (?) the biggest question to me? As I did not really care about it, I won't expand a critic about it since it won't be fair.

11/ Story, well it is not easy to write a story that make the general overwhelming acclaim, I think the story was okay, but sure it could have been better time to time. I believe that the mission designs with those repetitive tailing mission killed a bit the story structure and dynamic. I read a lot that people mentioned that the beginning was a bit slow, I personally thought it was interesting, it is later on I thought it was getting less interesting and slow, but this is just my opinion.

EDIT: How I could forget that one? - 12/ Please put back the tombs and Templar lairs, and put a lot of those, I was notably disappointed that the Mayan temples of the Island did not have some puzzle features to explore them inside.

I certainly forgot some stuff I wanted to put in that list, but this is pretty much what I could remember about the hopes and critics of this game I read from others including OP thread and posts and my opinion as well.

LoyalACFan
11-23-2013, 10:55 AM
I agree with most of what everyone has said, except WTF Rooster, I thought the story was the second best of the series.

-They should have just canned the hideout concept altogether and just made the interior of the Jackdaw cooler. They could scrap the artworks, but a proper sword/pistol rack would have been nice, and maybe some story-related mementos like Connor had under his target portraits.

-Underutilized Adewale. That was really sad to me, they hyped him up so much and he was basically the least important named pirate in the game. At least we have Freedom Cry.

-Half-baked fleet meta-game. Hated having to mess with that just to unlock some customization items.

-Mission constraints... specific and linear as ever. There were a few more good ones than usual, but the bad ones were just as bad as they've ever been.

-Not enough animations in combat (though the ones they did have were mostly incredible)

-Incessant online "social" crap. I don't care if this white whale location has been shared with my friends.

Overall I feel really good about it though.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
11-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Agreed about random encounters though that's been an issue in AC since the beginning. It's a shame that 6 years later, they've not done much to fix it. Kind of like the armor issue -- they don't learn or listen to feedback (much)

Random Encounters (should continue forever even after you finish everything else in the game, no set limit of encounters). I also thought that Notoriety should be revamped alongside a new Influence meter -- the Influence meter would be your influence among the populace. This would tie into Random Encounters as well as Assassin/Templar Dens like in Revelations but completely overhauled. You want a low Notoriety to avoid arousing guards' suspicions as easily but want a High Influence with civilians as they may help or hinder you depending on their opinion of you.

Notoriety affects Guards behavior toward you just like past games. This mostly revolves around illegal activities such as assaulting/murdering guards, being on rooftops, and in restricted areas though there are a few other things too. Influence affects the civilians behavior toward you.

Killing guards/civilians > Raises Notoriety; Lowers Influence
Getting caught in restricted zones > Raises Notoriety
Getting caught on rooftops > Raises Notoriety
Tearing down wanted posters > Lowers Notoriety; Raises Influence
Assassinating an official > Lowers Notoriety (only if done without being caught)
Bribing Speakers > Raises Notoriety; Raises Influence -- The reason why it should raise notoriety is because the guards are not the ones who listen to the propaganda speakers, the people are. So by bribing them, the civilians won't hear bad things about you, thus raising your influence with them while the guards meanwhile will realize you bribed the speakers, thus raising your notoriety
Saving civilians from corrupt guards > Raises Notoriety; Raises Influence
Stopping muggers and returning the money to civilians > Raises Influence
Stopping muggers and keeping the money > Raises Notoriety; Lowers Influence
Getting injured civilians to doctors > Raises Influence
Throwing money to poor people > Raises Influence
Pickpocketing money from civilians > Lowers Influence
Acquiring a Den > Lowers Notoriety; Raises Influence
Losing a Den > Raises Notoriety; Lowers Influence
etc.

Benefits of Low Notoriety

Guards will be neutral to you and won't do anything to you unless they see you committing illegal acts.
Harder enemies won't be as prevalent.

Consequences of High Notoriety

Guards will be on the lookout for you instead of being neutral.
They may have heavier guards stationed at posts instead of easier enemies

Benefits of High Influence

Civilians may block the guards and aid in your escape
Civilians will allow you to blend with them if you're being chased by enemies

Consequences of Low Influence

Civilians will now block you and push you back toward guards
Civilians may throw rocks at you if you try and escape by climbing
Civilians will disperse if you try to blend with them, thus leaving you exposed

The Dens should be an altered version of the Assassin/Templar Dens from ACR

To take control of a Templar Den, you must locate the Den Captain, assassinate him, and then light the signal fire.
Templar-controlled areas will have Templar guards who will attack on site. Once a zone is under Assassin control, the guards will be replaced with non-Templar ones who will be neutral to you.
Unlike ACR, Dens wouldn't be capable of being "locked." They can be attacked at random but have an increased chance when notoriety is high.
When a Den is attacked, you will be notified and can return at any time you wish to defend the den. Unlike ACR, which switched to a strange RTS-style minigame, this would keep the core gameplay mechanics of AC and a large Assassin versus Templar fight will commence. You and the Templars will have a set number of men. If you are desynchronized during the battle -- the Templars automatically take over the Den. If the Templars kill off the rest of the Assassins, you will be forced to retreat from the area/zone. Once out, the Templars will have control of the Den.

Perhaps...PERHAPS, this could be wave-based and you and your Assassins must survive...let's say 5 waves or whatever. That or it's just one battle with a set number at the beginning and once either side loses it's men, that side loses.

As for other random events/encounters

Thieves -- Steal from you, you must chase them down and take it back.
Muggers steals from someone, you chase them down and return the money to the civilian.
Gang attacks civilian(s) and you must save them.
Corrupt guards are harassing people, you must deal with the corrupt guards.
A beggar is starving and asks you to bring him food -- you must then travel to a local bar or food stand and return with food in a certain amount of time
Crime scene: You will encounter a body. You can then use Eagle Vision to scan the area to determine what happened, interrogate people, etc. It'll lead you to the murderer where you can deal with him.
Unfaithful husbands: A wife will tell you that she fears that her husband is cheating on her. Go to her husband and determine if he is faithful or not. If he is faithful, return to the woman with the news and inform her that she should probably sit down with her husband and talk more -- constant fear of betrayal is no conducive to a relationship. If the man IS unfaithful, beat him up and return to the lady with the sad news.

Guilds will have randomly generated events for you to do even after completing the "hand crafted" ones.

Assassins

Assassination Contracts: Once you finished the "main" contracts, you can return to any pigeon coup at any time for a randomized assassination contract. You will be given a random target to assassinate in the city or elsewhere and must get to them. The area they're located at will be Restricted for the duration of the contract. Once you assassinate the target and escape, you'll finish the contract.
Thief Assignments: Similarly, you can return to the Thieves Guild and activate a randomized Thief assignment which involves a few different types of things.

For the Guild: FTG-type missions are missions that involve sneaking into a restricted area and stealing the valuables and returning. The "valuables" are really just money.
For the People: FTP-type missions are Robin Hood type missions wherein you steal from a nobleman before taking the goods and distributing it to the poor. This usually involves fancy food, money, etc.

Merc Assignments
Courtesan Assignments

I'll think of more later.

roostersrule2
11-23-2013, 12:16 PM
@LACF, I thought it sucked.

The first couple of sequences were unfocused and tried to put you into the action too quickly and I was kinda unsure of what kind of game it was trying to be. Then it sorted that out but the story just wasn't interesting. All we did was look for things or people, first it was the Sage and then the Observatory, then some Templars, back to looking for the Sage, some more Templars, we found the Sage then we looked for the Observatory again. The whole game was just a pirate version of where's Wally/Waldo.

The Templar and Assassin story was barely shown either and the artifact we were looking for was the least interesting one yet IMO. The story kept going down a straight path and there were no twists or anything, unless you count James Kidd being Mary Read as one. The modern day ending was the second worst modern day ending yet and TBH I didn't care when Edward's friends died, or when he found out his wife had left him.

MadJC1986
11-23-2013, 02:43 PM

The first couple of sequences were unfocused and tried to put you into the action too quickly and I was kinda unsure of what kind of game it was trying to be. Then it sorted that out but the story just wasn't interesting. All we did was look for things or people, first it was the Sage and then the Observatory, then some Templars, back to looking for the Sage, some more Templars, we found the Sage then we looked for the Observatory again. The whole game was just a pirate version of where's Wally/Waldo.

The Templar and Assassin story was barely shown either and the artifact we were looking for was the least interesting one yet IMO. The story kept going down a straight path and there were no twists or anything, unless you count James Kidd being Mary Read as one. The modern day ending was the second worst modern day ending yet and TBH I didn't care when Edward's friends died, or when he found out his wife had left him.

Well lol, nice desciption! :D
But I mostly agree. I didn't like the story either.

Landruner
11-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Agreed about random encounters though that's been an issue in AC since the beginning. It's a shame that 6 years later, they've not done much to fix it. Kind of like the armor issue -- they don't learn or listen to feedback (much)

Random Encounters (should continue forever even after you finish everything else in the game, no set limit of encounters). I also thought that Notoriety should be revamped alongside a new Influence meter -- the Influence meter would be your influence among the populace. This would tie into Random Encounters as well as Assassin/Templar Dens like in Revelations but completely overhauled. You want a low Notoriety to avoid arousing guards' suspicions as easily but want a High Influence with civilians as they may help or hinder you depending on their opinion of you.

Notoriety affects Guards behavior toward you just like past games. This mostly revolves around illegal activities such as assaulting/murdering guards, being on rooftops, and in restricted areas though there are a few other things too. Influence affects the civilians behavior toward you.

Killing guards/civilians > Raises Notoriety; Lowers Influence
Getting caught in restricted zones > Raises Notoriety
Getting caught on rooftops > Raises Notoriety
Tearing down wanted posters > Lowers Notoriety; Raises Influence
Assassinating an official > Lowers Notoriety (only if done without being caught)
Bribing Speakers > Raises Notoriety; Raises Influence -- The reason why it should raise notoriety is because the guards are not the ones who listen to the propaganda speakers, the people are. So by bribing them, the civilians won't hear bad things about you, thus raising your influence with them while the guards meanwhile will realize you bribed the speakers, thus raising your notoriety
Saving civilians from corrupt guards > Raises Notoriety; Raises Influence
Stopping muggers and returning the money to civilians > Raises Influence
Stopping muggers and keeping the money > Raises Notoriety; Lowers Influence
Getting injured civilians to doctors > Raises Influence
Throwing money to poor people > Raises Influence
Pickpocketing money from civilians > Lowers Influence
Acquiring a Den > Lowers Notoriety; Raises Influence
Losing a Den > Raises Notoriety; Lowers Influence
etc.

Benefits of Low Notoriety

Guards will be neutral to you and won't do anything to you unless they see you committing illegal acts.
Harder enemies won't be as prevalent.

Consequences of High Notoriety

Guards will be on the lookout for you instead of being neutral.
They may have heavier guards stationed at posts instead of easier enemies

Benefits of High Influence

Civilians may block the guards and aid in your escape
Civilians will allow you to blend with them if you're being chased by enemies

Consequences of Low Influence

Civilians will now block you and push you back toward guards
Civilians may throw rocks at you if you try and escape by climbing
Civilians will disperse if you try to blend with them, thus leaving you exposed

The Dens should be an altered version of the Assassin/Templar Dens from ACR

To take control of a Templar Den, you must locate the Den Captain, assassinate him, and then light the signal fire.
Templar-controlled areas will have Templar guards who will attack on site. Once a zone is under Assassin control, the guards will be replaced with non-Templar ones who will be neutral to you.
Unlike ACR, Dens wouldn't be capable of being "locked." They can be attacked at random but have an increased chance when notoriety is high.
When a Den is attacked, you will be notified and can return at any time you wish to defend the den. Unlike ACR, which switched to a strange RTS-style minigame, this would keep the core gameplay mechanics of AC and a large Assassin versus Templar fight will commence. You and the Templars will have a set number of men. If you are desynchronized during the battle -- the Templars automatically take over the Den. If the Templars kill off the rest of the Assassins, you will be forced to retreat from the area/zone. Once out, the Templars will have control of the Den.

Perhaps...PERHAPS, this could be wave-based and you and your Assassins must survive...let's say 5 waves or whatever. That or it's just one battle with a set number at the beginning and once either side loses it's men, that side loses.

As for other random events/encounters

Thieves -- Steal from you, you must chase them down and take it back.
Muggers steals from someone, you chase them down and return the money to the civilian.
Gang attacks civilian(s) and you must save them.
Corrupt guards are harassing people, you must deal with the corrupt guards.
A beggar is starving and asks you to bring him food -- you must then travel to a local bar or food stand and return with food in a certain amount of time
Crime scene: You will encounter a body. You can then use Eagle Vision to scan the area to determine what happened, interrogate people, etc. It'll lead you to the murderer where you can deal with him.
Unfaithful husbands: A wife will tell you that she fears that her husband is cheating on her. Go to her husband and determine if he is faithful or not. If he is faithful, return to the woman with the news and inform her that she should probably sit down with her husband and talk more -- constant fear of betrayal is no conducive to a relationship. If the man IS unfaithful, beat him up and return to the lady with the sad news.

Guilds will have randomly generated events for you to do even after completing the "hand crafted" ones.

Assassins

Assassination Contracts: Once you finished the "main" contracts, you can return to any pigeon coup at any time for a randomized assassination contract. You will be given a random target to assassinate in the city or elsewhere and must get to them. The area they're located at will be Restricted for the duration of the contract. Once you assassinate the target and escape, you'll finish the contract.
Thief Assignments: Similarly, you can return to the Thieves Guild and activate a randomized Thief assignment which involves a few different types of things.

For the Guild: FTG-type missions are missions that involve sneaking into a restricted area and stealing the valuables and returning. The "valuables" are really just money.
For the People: FTP-type missions are Robin Hood type missions wherein you steal from a nobleman before taking the goods and distributing it to the poor. This usually involves fancy food, money, etc.

Merc Assignments
Courtesan Assignments

I'll think of more later.

Excellent ideas above I am glad that you mention the return of the guild with some elaborated missions, and additional assassin mission (random) in order to make them infinite.
Here is a list bellow of some example I left at the thread of the OP regarding the random encounters, some could be on your list above, or complement them. I added some more I found since the original thread.

Random encounters events potential scenarios (Cities and some for villages)

Save that girl, kid, guy (cities streets are dangerous, bandit, thieves and even with corrupted guard - for village, more bandit ,pirate and smuggler)
Pirate's brawling, (Port and Taverns)
Help pirate & thief for convoy robbery, (Cities Streets, or where location allows convoy to happen)
Attack and rob the local treasury, (Cities Banks or specific place - then share 50/50 of the robbery with the thief)
Rescue that rich citizen (& steal from him then if you want)
Catch that thief for me,
Rob that chest for me, (Mansion or Rich house Interior mission)
Play that throwing knife game with me (Port and tavern)
Protect my home for me, (From ,bandit, thieves)
Find my daughter captured by pirates, Bandit, smuggler, slavers (could be used in cities with some hidden spot)
Stole that item book, jewel or that item for me, (Allows Edward to use strategy such as seduction with ladies)
Start a riot for me, (Like AC3)
Escort me in the street, (anywhere)
Deliver my son or my father from jail, ( prisoner Inside Jail or fortress)
Prevent execution (Jail or fortress)
Deliver those slaves before owner sales them, (Ports / Markets)
help that merchant to get rid of concurrences and competition. (Markets)
Prevent people to get expulsed from homes, (anywhere in the cities)
Catch the tax collector for money and destroy his escort, (anywhere in the cities)
EDIT: Bring my sick brother, sister, kid or husband or wife to the doctor.
Find my lost item to the harbor
Rabies dogs encounter
Find that exotic animal for me (Exotic animal escaped from menagerie)
Torch that place for me
Sabotage that ship in the harbor for me
Snake inside that ship in the harbor and steal the valuable inside
Assault from Templar's mercenaries ( a bit like ACR Player has to watch for those because they can attack by surprise, or still attack by pack)

Villages: Besides some mentioned above that can work there
Rescue the village from a pirates attack (Could happen once in the while that a brunch of pirate tries to raid oven the place on foot)
Rescue the village from Soldiers (Depending of the territorial location of the Island but island is attacked by a brunch of fraction soldiers on foot)

For The Tavern's events Cites & Villages)
Drinking challenge with pirates,
Dance with a that girl seduction (I mean come on this is Edward,,,)
pirates brawling, (Again but bar challenge with money price)
Save that girl from that drunken Pirate,
Dual pistol or sword with prate or arrogant aristocrat
+ mini - game arm wrestling contest, Five Fingers fillet challenge, and Tarot games.

Landruner
11-23-2013, 10:51 PM

Actually you are totally right, I got the same impression as well, but I still did like the beginning and guessed that it will open on something bigger and smarter, but it quickly came to that point as you perfectly described it. Good point.

DarktheMagister
11-24-2013, 12:59 AM
The Base is the MAIN THING I feel 3 did better.

Great Inagua is awesome what with its caverns and jungle and port and what not.....but it felt so dead compared to the Davenport Homestead in 3. If they had added unique NPCs and more hunting ground in the jungle then this would have been my favorite. Also...a wreck to dive in the bay would've been cool.