PDA

View Full Version : AC4 PC Optimization blog post

Animator_Alex
11-22-2013, 07:48 PM
http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-pc-optimization/

MnemonicSyntax
11-22-2013, 07:52 PM
I don't understand why people are complaining about what was said before or saying Ubisoft is backpedaling. The proof is the work Ubi and Nvidia did together to improve game graphics by and large. Granted, there's still issues with the PC version, but mostly it's drivers or people who aren't as computer savvy. I love this game on PC and it works very well, I've had no problems whatsoever with it.

Borpinator
11-22-2013, 08:09 PM
That was quite the load of crap. To summarize what was said: "We care about PC Optimization. The game is optimized and runs great, even on low-end systems."

I see they are doubling down on their lies. **** Ubisoft.

MnemonicSyntax
11-22-2013, 08:33 PM
That was quite the load of crap. To summarize what was said: "We care about PC Optimization. The game is optimized and runs great, even on low-end systems."

I see they are doubling down on their lies. **** Ubisoft.

It's funny, because it does run great on low-end systems. I have it installed on my computer at work and I'm running a 6450. Granted, everything is low or "off" but it runs just fine.

See above.

IDefectedI
11-22-2013, 09:09 PM
GTX 780 sli -i7 3770k 4.4 stable overclock.

I can't even get this game to work right in the forests or towns. Once you walk into a forest performance dies. Tried everything. The only fix I found was turning down environment quality from high to very low. This will fix stuttering, but also make the game look like crap. Turning up or down other settings makes little difference in performance. I tried dropping my resolution from 2560x1400p to 720p only to display the same results.

EP3nquin
11-22-2013, 09:13 PM
It's funny, because it does run great on low-end systems. I have it installed on my computer at work and I'm running a 6450. Granted, everything is low or "off" but it runs just fine.

See above.

yea while my system is not really low end it is not high end either and I have no issues with the game on high / very high. I find it odd that almost every Post I have seen reporting the issues are all higher end systems running I7's and a Nvidia GTX780 or there about. makes me wounder. I also remember hearing that some one rolled back there drivers from the newest ones for AC4 to there previous ones and it solved the Frame rate issues for them.. so worth a shot

IDefectedI
11-22-2013, 09:17 PM
yea while my system is not really low end it is not high end either and I have no issues with the game on high / very high. I find it odd that almost every Post I have seen reporting the issues are all higher end systems running I7's and a Nvidia GTX780 or there about. makes me wounder. I also remember hearing that some one rolled back there drivers from the newest ones for AC4 to there previous ones and it solved the Frame rate issues for them.. so worth a shot

Going to try older drivers but I need sli bits.

diwas13
11-22-2013, 09:20 PM
Dat damage control.

Eynelia
11-22-2013, 09:27 PM
I really don't understand why gaming companys behave like this nowadays. The Issues are very clear , yet they refuse to react

EP3nquin
11-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Going to try older drivers but I need sli bits.

well I assume that rolling back one version will not kill the SLI at all, but I also do not know how far back they went either, maybe it is cause the new drivers from Nvidia contain the stuff not released in the patch that ubi is going to be dropping soon?

BruhmisNapton
11-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Dat damage control.

I just wish other people would realize this. it's so frustrating to see all these people come on forums and blatantly lie about their performance in the games because they can't let go of their fanboyism and accept that ubisoft doesn't care about PC. you people aren't doing anyone any good. the more you praise ubisoft for something they're not even doing, the more they're going to keep putting out unplayable products on PC. I used to love assassin's creed so much, and it kills me to see what the series has come to.

EP3nquin
11-22-2013, 09:35 PM
I really don't understand why gaming companys behave like this nowadays. The Issues are very clear , yet they refuse to react

it is not a refuse to react some times but a matter of 1 priority and 2 finding bugs is not as easy as one might think. software is very very complex and more so with games, there is many factors involved in bug fixing including all the parts on the computer in question and software as well. Not to mention if 300 people out of say 1 million report bugs then is it really worth spending large amounts of man Power to fix them when it could mess up the rest of the people experience? (not saying that is the case here but it is a factor)
and given the game has been out for 3 days on the PC you got to give them time, I have been working with a software vendor for over a year work on one of my clients computers for over a year now. no one can figure it out, it worked on XP but as soon as we moved them to win 7 the program stopped working despite having personally seen it work on other windows 7 systems, debuggin is not easy. if it was you would have far more people able to do it.

EP3nquin
11-22-2013, 09:37 PM
I just wish other people would realize this. it's so frustrating to see all these people come on forums and blatantly lie about their performance in the games because they can't let go of their fanboyism and accept that ubisoft doesn't care about PC. you people aren't doing anyone any good. the more you praise ubisoft for something they're not even doing, the more they're going to keep putting out unplayable products on PC. I used to love assassin's creed so much, and it kills me to see what the series has come to.

I have not lied about my performance, my game runs fine, sure i get the occasional hic up but I also run some other apps inthe background as well with the game. why assume people are lying just because your having an issue?

Edit: you also must never have played the older UBI games then cause I have had issues with every UBI game to date, this is actually the first one I have not spent the better part of launch day trying to get to work. there was connection issues in RSV2, on launch of AC2 I could not play at all thanks to the server issues that kept people who bought the game from connecting to the servers cause of the always on Idea AC3 I had poor frame rates like most did till the patch. launch failures with ACB i did not buy ACR till almost AC3 launch day cause of my past bugs.

Not to mention all the other PC launch bugs with other titles like Skyrim. PC bugs at launch are not new, been around since PC gaming was born and will continue for a long time as well thanks to all the variations in systems, how they are built, how they are run, and what is on them

MnemonicSyntax
11-22-2013, 09:38 PM

How is it a lie when I'm playing it at home on max settings (except Low godrays) with a 4770K and a 760 GTX

I wish some of you just learned how to use a computer correctly.

BruhmisNapton
11-22-2013, 09:41 PM
it is not a refuse to react some times but a matter of 1 priority and 2 finding bugs is not as easy as one might think. software is very very complex and more so with games, there is many factors involved in bug fixing including all the parts on the computer in question and software as well. Not to mention if 300 people out of say 1 million report bugs then is it really worth spending large amounts of man Power to fix them when it could mess up the rest of the people experience? (not saying that is the case here but it is a factor)
and given the game has been out for 3 days on the PC you got to give them time, I have been working with a software vendor for over a year work on one of my clients computers for over a year now. no one can figure it out, it worked on XP but as soon as we moved them to win 7 the program stopped working despite having personally seen it work on other windows 7 systems, debuggin is not easy. if it was you would have far more people able to do it.
how would giving them time help? ubisoft doesn't release performance improving patches for their games. far cry 2 & 3 are exceptions but that's because it's made by a separate studio. look at the update history for AC3. it launched unplayable and it didn't receive a single performance related fix in over a year. same with ghost recon future soldier and splinter cell conviction/blacklist. there's no reason for you to be making baseless defenses of ubisoft, you're only setting people up to be disappointed.

MnemonicSyntax
11-22-2013, 09:43 PM
how would giving them time help? ubisoft doesn't release performance improving patches for their games. far cry 2 & 3 are exceptions but that's because it's made by a separate studio. look at the update history for AC3. it launched unplayable and it didn't receive a single performance related fix in over a year. same with ghost recon future soldier and splinter cell conviction/blacklist. there's no reason for you to be making baseless defenses of ubisoft, you're only setting people up to be disappointed.

I didn't have any issue with 3 either.

Maybe you shouldn't try to run these games on a Speak N' Spell.

EP3nquin
11-22-2013, 09:46 PM

um no there was several patches to AC 3 over the first year, Conviction had the match making big fixed for most people with in 1 month (can not speak for blacklist as I will nto support any one but michael as sam) not sure about Ghost recon as I only got the PC version resently but I know there was several fixes on the Xbox version with in the first month as well due to issues with MP

Edit: also correct me if I am wrong but I though there is already plans to resease a patch to add in some of the missing Nvidia settings

guardian_titan
11-22-2013, 09:49 PM
I've stated it on other game forums I play on and bears repeating here: not every single player who plays the game posts on these forums. We know 12 million bought AC3 at least. How many post here? A thousand? Those who don't have issues won't post because they're perfectly happy with the game and see no reason to chat with fans regarding the game. Some may not want to come to forums out of fear of being attacked or just not knowing how a forum works. It's the vocal minority that end up crying the loudest when it comes to problems.

Look at murder rates. A city might have a murder rate of 1 but what's that really mean? Murder rates are looked at based on groups of 100,000. You might have 1 murder in 100,000 but people still freak out thinking the rate is insanely high and everyone is at risk. Certainly not the case but the media blows it out of proportion. Some cities might see 4 murders a year, if that. Large cities will likely see fewer than 50. But yet a murder is often played up in the media causing people to panic. Serial killers are the odd exception and can cause a city to see more murders in a time frame than normal, but those aren't that common, either. You're more likely to die in an accident or from illness than from your neighbor murdering you, yet you don't see people being careful not to get into an accident or panicking over illness. If people were, cancer foundations, etc would be very well funded due to people just throwing money at them. I chose not to watch the news just because it's too depressing and quite often they blow things out of proportion. Only thing the news is good for anymore is the weather and that I can get online.

Those on forums also tend to blow things out of proportion. Ubisoft knows more about AC4 than we do. They can monitor where we die, etc. They know how many have issues via tickets actually submitted while all we have to go by are those that post on the forums and complain the loudest. Can't say I really look too seriously at those that complain. Some just regurgitate what others said and haven't had experience with it themselves. The internet tends to make people more likely to lie and try to influence others to their side. Can't believe everything on the internet. Kind of why I rather see how things work myself rather than relying on someone else. So far, I'm rather happy with Ubisoft ... outside of Connor but hopefully something will occur there even if it's just another book. Can't say the same for other companies like EA. Blizzard I have my issues with as well. I based my opinions on my own experiences and not what others tell me is true. It's the herd mentality. One believes it to be true and the rest can be influenced to believe it to be so. It's pretty obvious how fast a rumor can spread these days due to Twitter, Facebook, and other social media sites, and sadly, most don't check the validity of it before reposting it.

What reason would Ubisoft have to not optimize the PC version if the PS4 and X1 are pretty much the same? It's still early yet in the next gen era. Bugs are bound to happen as engines are more optimized. Nothing is ever perfect right out of the gate. When was the last time consoles and PCs were so similar? You also have to account for PS3/Xbox 360. Ubisoft wasn't developing for 3 platforms like they've been in the past. They were developing for 5. And again, it's impossible to account for every PC hardware/software configuration. Sometimes bugs can pop up out of the strangest things. I had a family tree program some years ago. Worked perfectly for years and then one day I'd tab between fields and see information be deleted. Program was no longer supported so I had to look for third party support. Finally found the issue was a conflict with my mouse drivers and my Yahoo Instant Messenger. Uninstalled both and the program worked again. Then it had issues again not long after. I gave up on it and moved to another program. I also had issues with Photoshop CS freezing on me quite randomly some years ago. I tried various fixes and one person suggested I flash my BIOS. I thought it was the dumbest suggestion since I knew that could screw up my computer if I screwed up, but I had nothing else to try. So I did it. And lo and behold, Photoshop worked again. I also had World of Warcraft crashing on me with an error 132 on a regular basis which drove me bonkers. I did some research and finally came down to it being a corruption issue that was actually related to memory. Running a repair on the game only fixed it for so long before it'd crash again. Finally looked up my memory and realized I actually had the wrong type. It was a few years ago so I don't remember how off I was but I think I had the wrong MHz or something. My computer still ran, though. Everything else worked fine including every other game I played, but World of Warcraft was not happy. I broke and replaced the memory with one my motherboard manufacturer (ASUS) listed as compatible. No issues since outside of cases where my computer case was filled with dust and needed to be blown out. So chances are those having issues likely have something going on they're not considering. Only way to test a software conflict is via a fresh install of the OS and re-installing things one by one, but who wants to do that? That can take days or even weeks depending on how many programs you have. Install one, test AC4, install another, test AC4, etc. Rather tedious. Testing hardware issues is easier to a degree, but can be fairly expensive as well. Sometimes an issue can be caused by the stupidest thing.

EP3nquin
11-22-2013, 09:52 PM
guardian_titan I could not agree more

IDefectedI
11-22-2013, 10:10 PM
well I assume that rolling back one version will not kill the SLI at all, but I also do not know how far back they went either, maybe it is cause the new drivers from Nvidia contain the stuff not released in the patch that ubi is going to be dropping soon?

I lost 36 fps going back.

IDefectedI
11-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Clearly there is some kind of optimization problem with the engine itself. Sure this is better then AC:3 but the game still suffers from poor performance. What I hate the most about Ubisoft is their lack of performance ratio. All games since 2009 suffer from fps drops and stuttering.