PDA

View Full Version : Using The Swivel Gun

DynaRider
11-21-2013, 02:51 AM
When boarding a ship and you fire the swivel gun to kill enemy crewmen does it also kill your own crewmen who may have already gotten on board?

imonthenet
11-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Yep, I got a shock one time when i accidentally shot 5 men from my own crew

DynaRider
11-21-2013, 01:09 PM
That's kind of a downer because your crew will be on board by the time you get to the swivel. No way to avoid taking out a few of your own crew. I thought I'd seen some of them get blown up by one of my shots.

SenseHomunculus
11-21-2013, 01:29 PM
That's kind of a downer because your crew will be on board by the time you get to the swivel. No way to avoid taking out a few of your own crew. I thought I'd seen some of them get blown up by one of my shots.

Depends on how fast you can start firing the gun. I can usually get off at least a few shots before my crew boards. Also depends on the ship: the bigger the ship, the longer it can take for your crew to board. A man-of-war takes a lot longer than a schooner, for example, but even on schooners or brigs I can get all 5 shots off (and usually take out the required 5 enemy crew on a schooner) before my crew boards.

Any anyway, they're pretty expendable, aren't they?? :p

SpiritMuse
11-22-2013, 03:12 AM
Huh, strange. I've never shot my own crew. When I'm using the swivel gun, Edward always automatically leaves it when we're getting close enough to board and I think it becomes unusable even. So I'm usually the first to board because there's nothing else to do. :)

saicharanb93
11-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Huh, strange. I've never shot my own crew. When I'm using the swivel gun, Edward always automatically leaves it when we're getting close enough to board and I think it becomes unusable even. So I'm usually the first to board because there's nothing else to do. :)

Edward leaves the swivel gun bcoz the swivel gun has run out of ammo. It has like 4 or 5 shots. I think if you fire them pretty quick, so by the time you reach the ship the gun has run out of ammo and you cant use it.

saicharanb93
11-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Depends on how fast you can start firing the gun. I can usually get off at least a few shots before my crew boards. Also depends on the ship: the bigger the ship, the longer it can take for your crew to board. A man-of-war takes a lot longer than a schooner, for example, but even on schooners or brigs I can get all 5 shots off (and usually take out the required 5 enemy crew on a schooner) before my crew boards.

Any anyway, they're pretty expendable, aren't they?? :p

Yup, the boarding time definitely depends on the size of the ship.

Actually there is a way to avoid taking out a few of your own men. If you are really intent on using the swivel gun then start the boarding from as far as you can or start the boarding in a different angle; the crew takes more time to board in these situations and so you can get your shots off without taking down any of your men.

SpiritMuse
11-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Edward leaves the swivel gun bcoz the swivel gun has run out of ammo. It has like 4 or 5 shots. I think if you fire them pretty quick, so by the time you reach the ship the gun has run out of ammo and you cant use it.

Ah, that'll be it then, I never realized that!

Like Saicharan says. I usually start the boarding process from about as far away as possible, so it takes quite a while for my crew to reel us in to boarding distance, especially if I've parked the ship at an angle as well. That gives me plenty of time to fire my swivel gun AND be the first to board after it runs out of ammo (which happens as I've just learned. XD)

SenseHomunculus
11-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Since they're not "real" and easily replace, I usually don't worry about losing some of my own crew. In fact, I really enjoy doing the rescue prisoners thing where you have to save the pirates from execution or in a fight (especially in Havana and stopping the hangings), so I sometimes kill a few off intentionally; or at least, kill everyone on-board enemy ships before doing the mandatory destroy the flag/kill the scouts/captain/officers so some die off.

I also try to link up when boarding a ship so that my swivel gun is near the enemy powder barrels on the deck as hitting those always takes out at least 2 or 3 enemy crew, and makes a very satisfying explosion. :p

kriss3d
11-27-2013, 09:05 AM
I usually attempt to line up jackdaw so its halfway past the enemy ship before boarding it. This way i have its midsection just next to the rear of jackdaw so the swirvel gun will let me blow up the kegs or usually taking down at least 5-6 enemy crew. Also do try to pull off a few air assassinations as they are faster than fighting regular style.

By the way. Isnt there a list of rewards you get ? like in the other AC games where you get a special weapon if you collect all of a certain kind of item like animus fragments or somthing ? It seems to me that the best weapons are just ready in stores already. I got an expensive set of swords at the beginning of the game and i havent seen anything better.

Syr.Jake
11-28-2013, 03:22 AM
Practice setting up where you want your ship to be before you start the boarding process. I almost never start out full on broadside unless it is a Schooner. I can usually kill all 5 enemies on the Schooner long before I am in range for the crew to start heading over.

I don't bother with the swivels for the Man-O-War's since the height difference is too great. Instead I head directly for the "cargo lift" and head up. This way I can cross over quickly and take out the 2 scouts, even if that isn't a requirement, since they still count for the required 20 kills, and it keeps me out of combat long enough to get all of the objectives.

If you get the requirement to destroy the flag, you are already on your way, instead of trying to play with the swivel cannon.

Once I have gotten those requirements out of the way, I head down to start working on the crew kills.

HeckofaParrot69
11-28-2013, 09:52 AM
It's all down how you line up the Jackdaw, I can usually take out 5 defenders on a Schooner before my men have boarded.

Vogue_77
12-02-2013, 05:48 AM
It's not really worth it, you risk to kill more men from your crew than theirs with it (it's blast is AOE, not to mention if you hit a gunpowder barrel). Edward can take on any amount of soldiers and dispatch them fast (smoke bomb / pistols / combo kills) so you don't really need to "soften" them up :)

SenseHomunculus
12-03-2013, 06:41 PM
It's not really worth it, you risk to kill more men from your crew than theirs with it (it's blast is AOE, not to mention if you hit a gunpowder barrel). Edward can take on any amount of soldiers and dispatch them fast (smoke bomb / pistols / combo kills) so you don't really need to "soften" them up :)

Yeah but I love seeing the enemy sailors sailing over the railing when I blow them off the deck with a powder barrel!!

Secu12
12-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Right after I enter the boarding area I go straight to the swivel gun. It takes up to 10-15 seconds to board a ship and by this time I fire a couple of fires using the swivel gun. After my crew boards, I shoot the crew's ship which isn't near my crew.
You can shoot some enemies on a man o' war if you are on high seas or at the beginning of a boarding.
How do you increase your ammo? Now I have 6-7 shots.

A little off-topic: is it real this boarding thing? I mean, a couple of men throwing anchors and pulling one hell of a ship near theirs?

SenseHomunculus
12-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Right after I enter the boarding area I go straight to the swivel gun. It takes up to 10-15 seconds to board a ship and by this time I fire a couple of fires using the swivel gun. After my crew boards, I shoot the crew's ship which isn't near my crew.
You can shoot some enemies on a man o' war if you are on high seas or at the beginning of a boarding.
How do you increase your ammo? Now I have 6-7 shots.

You do??? I've finished the game and still only have 5! Are you certain about that?

A little off-topic: is it real this boarding thing? I mean, a couple of men throwing anchors and pulling one hell of a ship near theirs?

To a certain extent, yes. (http://bit.ly/189ZSoL) Though not with the cinematic flair of swinging in from the rigging, which is especially fun from the yardarm after ascending the mast. As the article says, and this is backed up by our own experience in AC4, it's not very practical as you are "within range of a large group of hostile combatants extremely quickly."

Secu12
12-05-2013, 08:50 AM
I am pretty sure. I have counted the fire shots a few times. I will do it once more.

Thank you for the article!