PDA

View Full Version : AC designer- WD_ will influence the series going forward,we have to respect our brand

catkiller97
11-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Assassin’s Creed IV designer says Watch_Dogs will influence the series going forward, “we have to respect our brands”

“I think we’re going toward a gaming place where the open world will be shared with other players. More and more, socially speaking, but also maybe multiplayer stuff. And we will have to consider the open world much more like a platform that we could sustain for years.”

“Watch Dogs is kind of showing us the path for the future. Absolutely. But we have to create a… We have to respect our brands. So if we have to go that way with Assassin’s Creed we have to think about how it could fit into Assassin’s Creed.”
“There is this idea of having the parkour – you can jump around – and then the notion of freedom that combines everything. These are the roots of Assassin’s Creed. We will try and work and build upon them. We cannot tell you that we’re happy and this is how we want the game to be and we’re going to do ten more games with exactly that same gameplay.”

- Assassin’s Creed IV lead game designer Jean-Sebastien Decant
Via VG247 (http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/19/future-assassins-creed-games-could-include-shared-open-world-due-to-watch-dogs-showing-the-way/)

ze_topazio
11-20-2013, 03:11 PM
I don't really like this social thing, we are supposed to be relieving the memories of someone, usually someone who has lived before the XX century, a time when internet didn't exist.

lothario-da-be
11-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Keep social stuff away from my SP AC experience!

ArabianFrost
11-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Would you juat stop with these gimmicks and give us a social experience with people we actually want to have a social experience with. In other words, give us coop.

OHIC
11-20-2013, 03:47 PM
I don't really like this social thing, we are supposed to be relieving the memories of someone, usually someone who has lived before the XX century, a time when internet didn't exist.

Huh? That doesn't make any sense at all.

They're talking about the way your character isn't the only person around who does what he does. Rather than add in computer AIs to represent those people, Watch_Dogs allows you the option of having real people join your game at times to help or hinder you.

That's obviously got a place in AC, where the games have struggled to give us the sense of the presence of these other Templars and Assassins. Sure we have that now with NPCs, but only as part of missions. It could be really fun to meet other players in the cities.

lothario-da-be
11-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Would you juat stop with these gimmicks and give us a social experience with people we actually want to have a social experience with. In other words, give us coop.
This

pirate1802
11-20-2013, 04:07 PM

This. Rather than skirting around the boundaries with wishy washy "social" features just dive into it full steam and give us a fullblown coop.

RoBg03
11-20-2013, 05:51 PM
I'd rather have the option of teaming up with other players to complete missions that a single assassin can't handle. but don't make them mandatory to the single player campaign storyline.

pacmanate
11-20-2013, 06:14 PM
Screw social crap no one wants it.

SINGLE PLAYER - 1 player, not a freaking dozen.

MULTI PLAYER - LOTS OF PEOPLE.

HiddenKiller612
11-20-2013, 06:19 PM
I really hate this idea. I don't want some asshat invading my game while I'm peacefully executing guards and hunting down my targets. I don't want to have to worry about some troll entering my game at the wrong time. I hope that when Watch Dogs comes out, and most people speak out about this... that they realize what a terrible feature it is. You don't play a singleplayer game to be social. It's like they want to copy the invasion thing that Demon Souls started. I can see this being incredibly annoying. If this happens, I'll be forced to play offline the entire time.

Hans684
11-20-2013, 06:31 PM
I really hate this idea. I don't want some asshat invading my game while I'm peacefully executing guards and hunting down my targets. I don't want to have to worry about some troll entering my game at the wrong time. I hope that when Watch Dogs comes out, and most people speak out about this... that they realize what a terrible feature it is. You don't play a singleplayer game to be social. It's like they want to copy the invasion thing that Demon Souls started. I can see this being incredibly annoying. If this happens, I'll be forced to play offline the entire time.

The feature in Watch_Dogs that allows other players to enter your game is locked in missions. So it's not bad and if you don't like it joy can have it locked for good i think but the feature is not bad it's the 'troll' entering your game that is bad.

pirate1802
11-20-2013, 06:43 PM
As it is in Watch_Dogs I'm liking it, but don't want it in AC. In W_D I'll have it turned off anyway when I'm doing some serious **** and turn it on when I'm in mood for some ****ery or free roaming. It would be fun to mess with my friends. :p

Spider_Sith9
11-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Does this mean Modern Day AC confirmed! :O

LoyalACFan
11-21-2013, 02:13 AM
This is the worst news I've heard about AC in a while. I HATE online open-world games with a passion, a la Grand Theft Auto Online, it's nothing but random unknown d-bags messing with your sh*t. I know this isn't exactly the same, but I still don't want strangers popping into my AC worlds. There's nothing "social" about it; unless it's one of your real friends (see: co-op) there's never any meaningful person-to-person contact. The other player might as well be an extremely smart and extremely annoying AI. Half-baked "social" features like the Fleet aren't much better, but at least in AC4 it's such a minor feature it can be totally overlooked.

Unfortunately this online "social" crap seems to be a rising trend in gaming, with one major developer (can't remember which one, maybe Infinity Ward?) even commenting that "the notion of single-player has to go away." Well screw you, Infinity Ward or maybe some other developer, keep your online heathens out of my SP games. Imagine being immersed in a marvelously-crafted world like AC or Red Dead, only to have some dips**t come along and ruin it by doing stupid things onscreen. Me no like.

I hope this fad goes away in a damn hurry just like motion controls did, otherwise I might have to take a break from gaming for a couple of years.

ace3001
11-21-2013, 02:23 AM
Not looking forward to this in Watch Dogs, and I certainly don't want it in AC. I want to be able to play a game on my own terms. Hell, I want to be able to pause my game. NFS Rivals is one game out now that has a similar feature where everyone can be in the same open world, and the cost? That is that we can't pause the game. That annoys me to no end. I don't want other people to interfere or for me to be unable to pause and resume whenever I want.

Sushiglutton
11-21-2013, 02:31 AM
Have zero interest in this myself, but I doesn't have to negatively impact SP. Problem for me is that, as others have said, the vast majority of online players are scumbags. Even if they start out as nice guys they will soon become scumbags. I do not want to have any of them in my game sessions. Playing co-op with a friend I could see myself doing though. But there are so many other games I can play with them.

Hope this is a fade that will die out.

PedroAntonio2
11-21-2013, 03:34 AM
As far as I know...in WD players won't be able to interfer in your progress during missions or sidemissions, only when you are not doing any activities that the online is going to work and yu will encounter other players, if they use this system in ACV, it's okay. I just don't want a random dude ruining my mission.

Landruner
11-21-2013, 05:05 AM
Well, I think I am definitely off from this franchise - this is not the way I like gaming, and I can read between the lines there.

Ubisoft has to understand that Microsoft already took a brick in the face with their stuff in trying to force people in being always online for the Xbox one, it is not necessary good for business in trying to do the same in hiding the same intentions than Microsoft had behind the head with some disguised social features for enhancing the gaming experience.

The big picture behind the news there, It is a just new ruse for controlling gamers in order to be sure you buy the games new and not used, (if you won't buy new you won't be able to play your game because most of the stuff will be connected with the social thing, and used game will be screwed unless you buy a new stuff to unlock it / I know they dropped the Uplay passport, but they will put something new to replace it, and you will have to play your singe player online, because you will have restriction while being offline).
Certainly some can disagree with what I am writing now, I understand & I respect that, and I won't try to convincing anyone that I am right, but that the way they go so far sadly, and even worse, in a few years from now, you won't be to able to play any game unless you did not pre-order it from an approved game store.

Kagurra
11-21-2013, 05:57 AM
Well, I think I am definitely off from this franchise - this is not the way I like gaming, and I can read between the lines there.

Ubisoft has to understand that Microsoft already took a brick in the face with their stuff in trying to force people in being always online for the Xbox one, it is not necessary good for business in trying to do the same in hiding the same intentions than Microsoft had behind the head with some disguised social features for enhancing the gaming experience.

In Watch Dogs you can set the "Invasions" to off or friends only if you don't want the full random social interaction. If they're taking notes from WD, they'll do that aswell if they decide to put something like that in the game.

Landruner
11-21-2013, 01:55 PM
In Watch Dogs you can set the "Invasions" to off or friends only if you don't want the full random social interaction. If they're taking notes from WD, they'll do that aswell if they decide to put something like that in the game.

Like I said I do not want to argue with what I wrote above, I just see the things on the long road run and where its path is going....however; I just hope I am wrong

pirate1802
11-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Like I said I do not want to argue with what I wrote above, I just see the things on the long road run and where its path is going....however; I just hope I am wrong

But if you have an option on whether you want this feature or not, what's wrong with it?

Does this mean Modern Day AC confirmed! :O

No.

Kit572
11-21-2013, 02:19 PM
. Imagine being immersed in a marvelously-crafted world like AC or Red Dead, only to have some dips**t come along and ruin it by doing stupid things onscreen. Me no like.

*Disconnects console from internet*

Problem solved :D

...But I see where you are going.

LoyalACFan
11-21-2013, 02:23 PM
But if you have an option on whether you want this feature or not, what's wrong with it?

It's just one more useless feature that requires heaps of developer effort in a series that's already being pushed to the limit in terms of development time. If they're going to go with a yearly cycle, so be it, but if they're putting time constraints on themselves like that, they better focus their efforts on delivering a great core game instead of wasting time on ancillary features like this, especially when almost all the feedback to it I've seen in this thread has been overwhelmingly negative.

Bottom line, the general consensus seems to be somewhere between "Meh" and "Oh God No," so just scrap it and move on without it.

pirate1802
11-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I agree that we don't need it for AC. But I'm looking forward to it in W_D. I might be the only one to think like that here but I think it is a bloody brilliant concept fo a hacking-oriented game like Watch Dogs. As with most things, its not inherently bad, but depends on how it is applied. Bad for AC, good fo W_D. I'm looking forward to ****ing with some of my friends in their games. :p

LoyalACFan
11-21-2013, 02:27 PM
*Disconnects console from internet*

Problem solved :D

...But I see where you are going.

Yeah, I can see your point too, but like I said in my above post, it's something that requires lots of extra time to implement, and time is not something AC has to spare now that they're committed to yearly releases. Besides, especially with the next-gen, there are online features I might actually want to use while I'm playing SP, like seeing game invites and this "share" button on PS4 I've been hearing so much about. I don't want to play offline all the time either.

LoyalACFan
11-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Yeah, I agree that we don't need it for AC. But I'm looking forward to it in W_D. I might be the only one to think like that here but I think it is a bloody brilliant concept fo a hacking-oriented game like Watch Dogs. As with most things, its not inherently bad, but depends on how it is applied. Bad for AC, good fo W_D. I'm looking forward to ****ing with some of my friends in their games. :p

Definitely bad for AC, maybe good for W_D :p We'll have to wait and see how well it's implemented. I guess it's slightly different for W_D since you're playing as just some random guy with a smartphone and hacking skills, but it would be really distracting in AC if there was another super acrobatic Assassin guy randomly running around in your game.

Still not a huge fan of the concept as a whole though.

pirate1802
11-21-2013, 02:37 PM
I'd just shoot that guy and be done with him. :p

And kick him while he is respawning xD