PDA

View Full Version : Next Assassin’s Creed Will Be More “Next Gen” - Ubisoft

RinoTheBouncer
11-19-2013, 10:28 PM
The next Assassin's Creed games will see a far greater leap in advancement for next-gen consoles, developer Ubisoft has said.
"I think 'next' next-gen is going to be for the next games," lead game designer Jean-Sebastien Decant told Gamereactor (http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/99684/Next+Assassin's+Creed+to+feature+). "The next games are going to be much more on the next-gen side. This one is really on the edge."

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag is a cross-generational release with only minor graphical improvements on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
This was due to the fact both next-gen consoles' technical specifications were still unknown when the project was begun.
"When you start and you don't even know the specs or what they are going to do you don't think about that [next-gen consoles] or you're going to be sick," Decant explained.

"We thought about next-gen graphics and in order to explore that we used the high-end PCs on the side, and then we continued just what we started with the previous games and built upon that."

This is a good thing - despite introducing an enjoyable open world naval section to Assassin's Creed 4, the series' land-based missions are feeling increasingly tired.
"We cannot tell you that we're happy and this is how we want the game to be and we're going to do ten more games with exactly that same gameplay," Decant argued. "No, we are unhappy. We want to do more. There are lots of things we want to refine on the combat side, on the parkour, on the stealth."
Beyond gameplay refinements, Decant hinted at broader changes for the franchise that next-gen may bring - namely the evolution of social features within the series' worlds.

"I think we're going toward a gaming place where the open world will be shared with other players. More and more. Socially speaking, but also maybe multiplayer stuff. And we will have to consider the open world much more like a platform that we could sustain for years," he concluded.
Black Flag includes a number of hints at possible Assassin's Creed 5 locations (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-29-assassins-creed-4-secret-hints-at-possible-ac5-locations). Ubisoft usually announces its next title in the series each spring for release the following November.

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-19-next-assassins-creed-will-be-much-more-next-gen

Wolfmeister1010
11-19-2013, 10:41 PM
To be expected. ACIV is stunning visually. But next year we will be able to see the REAL next gen face of Assassin's Creed.

Nice to see that they are already thinking about improving stealth and combat. Improving parkour?? The parkour system feels pretty perfected to me. I wonder what they will implement next??

roostersrule2
11-19-2013, 10:43 PM
I still think it'll be held back by current gen a bit, but less then AC4 was with AC6 or whatever being a true next gen defining game.

Wolfmeister1010
11-19-2013, 10:45 PM
I still think it'll be held back by current gen a bit, but less then AC4 was with AC6 or whatever being a true next gen defining game.

What if they move to just next gen consoles?

roostersrule2
11-19-2013, 10:48 PM
What if they move to just next gen consoles?They'd lose heaps of money, there wont be a big enough fanbase on Next-gen by that time. There'd be maybe 10-15 million next-gen consoles sold while current gen has over 140 million.

Wolfmeister1010
11-19-2013, 10:49 PM
They'd lose heaps of money, there wont be a big enough fanbase on Next-gen by that time. There'd be maybe 10-15 million next-gen consoles sold while current gen has over 140 million.

Hm

RinoTheBouncer
11-19-2013, 10:53 PM
They'd lose heaps of money, there wont be a big enough fanbase on Next-gen by that time. There'd be maybe 10-15 million next-gen consoles sold while current gen has over 140 million.

I agree but I bet this time, the current gen. version compared to next gen. will be more like a Wii port compared to a PS3 release.

DetroitPlaya
11-19-2013, 10:55 PM
It's very likely Ubisoft will support X360 and PS3 in 2014, since they know their fanbase haven't all changed by then. But it will probably not be held back per se, there will just be a more significant difference between the two generations next time. So foliage, fps, etc.. will be boosted a LOT for new gen, old gen is more of what we are used to.

It's possible they are making a game related to the Kenway-line, then dish out Assassin's Creed V for PS4/XBO/PC-only.

Wolfmeister1010
11-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Guys Sales were down 60 % for current gen version this year from all of Ac3 sales last year. Almost EVERYONE was waiting for the next gen version. By next year, it will be even more people who have left the current gen

Kagurra
11-19-2013, 10:57 PM
It's possible they are making a game related to the Kenway-line, then dish out Assassin's Creed V for PS4/XBO/PC-only.

I doubt this. They already pump out AC games left and right, which I personally have no qualms with since they're some of my favorite games.

RinoTheBouncer
11-19-2013, 10:59 PM
It's very likely Ubisoft will support X360 and PS3 in 2014, since they know their fanbase haven't all changed by then. But it will probably not be held back per se, there will just be a more significant difference between the two generations next time. So foliage, fps, etc.. will be boosted a LOT for new gen, old gen is more of what we are used to.

Yeah, I guess so.
A conclusion to the Kenway saga would be good. Something like Revelations maybe that follows Edward, Haytham and Connor in one game that shows the similarities and the differences between them and what became of all of them in the end or maybe leave some open ends or gaps that maybe some day in the future, they can make a CGI short-film about them or a short game segment.

Kagurra
11-19-2013, 11:00 PM
Guys Sales were down 60 % for current gen version this year from all of Ac3 sales last year. Almost EVERYONE was waiting for the next gen version. By next year, it will be even more people who have left the current gen

This. You could even tell by how little information is on the wiki and stuff. The AC4 part of the wiki looks exactly like it did a few months ago except with more character information. But I was never a huge fan of the AC wiki anyways... I think the best wiki I've seen for a game is probably either the Deus Ex: HR wiki, or the Resident Evil wiki.

DetroitPlaya
11-19-2013, 11:02 PM

Yes, there will be more - but far from the entire fanbase, and of course they dropped when there's a new console generation. But third party companies tend to support a little longer, plus Ubisoft said with AC IV: BF they finally managed to get the best out of the consoles - highly unlikely they won't continue till end of 2014 - since the game is already in the making, and many people wait 1-2 years with new systems.

pacmanate
2 years proper next gen, calling since PS3 support is ceasing then.

roostersrule2
Guys Sales were down 60 % for current gen version this year from all of Ac3 sales last year. Almost EVERYONE was waiting for the next gen version. By next year, it will be even more people who have left the current genThat was in the UK only and when AC4 comes out next-gen wont even have enough consoles to make up the 60%.

DetroitPlaya
11-19-2013, 11:06 PM
If anything, the article simply states that it was because it was a lot of guess-work, that it doesn't look better on new gen than it does. Now they know the specs, they can focus better on it.

Doesn't say anything about them not supporting 7th gen consoles.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
11-19-2013, 11:12 PM
This. You could even tell by how little information is on the wiki and stuff. The AC4 part of the wiki looks exactly like it did a few months ago except with more character information. But I was never a huge fan of the AC wiki anyways... I think the best wiki I've seen for a game is probably either the Deus Ex: HR wiki, or the Resident Evil wiki.

The Halo wiki is pretty great.

As for the OP -- I hope that isn't just talk and that ACV is improved a lot.

So many interesting things they could do...

phoenix-force411
11-19-2013, 11:19 PM
People keep saying that the PS4 version is no different and that it was ported version from the current-gen. Although that's a mistake since the game was developed on and was for next-gen, it's basically better, and the MP version for ACIV is a lot better as to what people say and what I saw in terms of performance. When Assassin's Creed V comes out, I'm sure it'll look a whole lot better since it'll be only for next-gen. ACIV doesn't utilize the next-gen fully, but it still does look a lot better on next-gen.

Wolfmeister1010
11-19-2013, 11:23 PM

That wiki absolutely sucks. Very little work is put into articles of cities, weapons, secondary characters, and more. It really annoys me. Last time I checked which was like a week ago they still have a line that reads "Edward will be able to crouch in this game, making him more stealthy while tailing enemies" and the source is the e3 demo. Way to keep up to speed guys!

Kagurra
11-19-2013, 11:30 PM
That wiki absolutely sucks. Very little work is put into articles of cities, weapons, secondary characters, and more. It really annoys me. Last time I checked which was like a week ago they still have a line that reads "Edward will be able to crouch in this game, making him more stealthy while tailing enemies" and the source is the e3 demo. Way to keep up to speed guys!

Yeah, it's sad... I hate that wiki. Whenever you try to go and look at a specific game's weapons or outfits, it redirects you to a general page that just as all the info from the old games crammed into one page.

simbaaa126
11-19-2013, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I guess so.
A conclusion to the Kenway saga would be good. Something like Revelations maybe that follows Edward, Haytham and Connor in one game that shows the similarities and the differences between them and what became of all of them in the end or maybe leave some open ends or gaps that maybe some day in the future, they can make a CGI short-film about them or a short game segment.
I think they should make a game with Edward and Haytham. It would make a great game, new location in England, maybe even Scotland or something too. Seeing as how Edward was an assassin, it could show how Haytham used to be an assassin, and the falling out that lead him to be a Templar. Growing up as Haytham in London as an assassin, then falling out with his father and switching to the Templars.
I read another post in Future AC Titles that mentioned how Edinbrough (not sure if that's the spelling) had a massive underground system, so that would be interesting.

DetroitPlaya
11-19-2013, 11:43 PM
The story of Haytham is told already, just not in game-form.

ze_topazio
11-20-2013, 12:05 AM
A new Ezio sequel.

phoenix-force411
11-20-2013, 12:22 AM
A new Ezio sequel.
He's dead. At least make an HD remake of Assassin's Creed and Assassin's Creed II.

ze_topazio
11-20-2013, 12:25 AM
He's dead.

That's what he wants you to believe.

phoenix-force411
11-20-2013, 12:38 AM
That's what he wants you to believe.
Lol, we never really new since the camera goes up into the sky and there is somehow a Borgia tower there.

simbaaa126
11-20-2013, 12:45 AM
Maybe something to do with an assassin that was in the chamber in the villa? The ones you had to get the keys for.

STDlyMcStudpants
11-20-2013, 01:00 AM
TBH I am HUGELY Surprised.
In a perfect world we would get a filler cross gen AC in 2014 and a Next Gen Exclsive ACV in 2015...im a bit disappointed.....

BoBwUzHeRe1138
11-20-2013, 02:33 AM
He's dead. At least make an HD remake of Assassin's Creed and Assassin's Creed II.

Either of these would be great but...

I'd want AC2 and here's why:

If they actually took time and care and din't just release a standard HD version of the game and instead did what 343 did for Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary and completely revamp the graphics... and did some other cool things... it could be amazing.

Imagine Brotherhood and Revelations being combined into AC2 as the "complete" or "director's cut" of AC2 plus all DLC added. With a uniform look thanks to updated graphics, we'd see Ezio's journey from birth to becoming an Assassin to becoming the Master Assassin and even as an older man seeking answers all in one go. Rome and Constantinople would act simply as other cities to explore once you progress far enough along in the story and using the boats in Rome and Constantinople you can return at any time to an AC2 city such as Venice or to Rome or to Constantinople.

Not sure how hard it'd be to combine the games...ACB most assuredly fits but the issue is the gameplay would suddenly shift and change from AC2's combat to ACB's combat with chain kills. Not sure how hard it'd be for them to simply give Ezio in AC2 the moveset he has in ACB and give us chain kills the same way. As for other changes... perhaps they could FINALLY listen to us and let us unequip armor and upgrades. For instance, after you complete the Revelations Arc, you should be able to get rid of the hook blade.

Would they do this? Seems highly unlikely but then again, they're revamping the visuals immensely for AC Liberation HD (it's not just a port with tighter graphics, everything from the lighting and coloring seems nicer and there are more people in the streets it seems) but if they're willing to do that, perhaps... PERHAPS they could do it for the "fan favorite" AC game and the one that really cemented AC as a huge triple A franchise. Sigh...one can dream, right? haha

roostersrule2
11-20-2013, 02:34 AM
He's dead. At least make an HD remake of Assassin's Creed and Assassin's Creed II.They're already in HD.

We need a 4K remake.

TBH I am HUGELY Surprised.
In a perfect world we would get a filler cross gen AC in 2014 and a Next Gen Exclsive ACV in 2015...im a bit disappointed.....That's probably what's happening, except the filler is an actual game and the 2015 current gen version will be crappy.

STDlyMcStudpants
11-20-2013, 04:13 AM
They're already in HD.

We need a 4K remake.

That's probably what's happening, except the filler is an actual game and the 2015 current gen version will be crappy.
I hope youre wrong lol i sooo don't want to see Assassins Creed V yet....5 is such a large milestone..i want it to be perfect.
But by 2015 we wont see AC on PS3 or 360
Ill be SUPER SURPRISED if we dont see it on current gen next year..but from the sounds of it, we may not.

AdamPearce
11-20-2013, 04:13 AM
YES! Man, the game isn't even showed and I'm already hype...*slap himself in the face* yeah, anyway, at least they accurate that the whole land gameplay is lame, that's a godd start. Now that the whole naval gameplay thing is oast, they can fully concentrate on combat, stealth and parkour! And that's a great thing. Next thing is to check back the modern day story and we are set for the perfect AC!

I just hope that it won't be realease on PS360, they seriously need to let those back, keeping them up till next year is a really bad idea, it will simply slow the expansion of the Next-Gen and by the same time slow the progression of the videogame. I mean, you too poor to buy new consoles? Too bad man, things moves on, deal with it. Plus it's just money waste, seriously, people won't buy it, everyone awaits the Next-Gen and by the end of 2014 at least 90% of the whole gaming community will be on it, so why care about em'?

This said, it's only this year that the PS2 was discontinued so...

roostersrule2
11-20-2013, 04:29 AM
I hope youre wrong lol i sooo don't want to see Assassins Creed V yet....5 is such a large milestone..i want it to be perfect.
But by 2015 we wont see AC on PS3 or 360
Ill be SUPER SURPRISED if we dont see it on current gen next year..but from the sounds of it, we may not.Current gen AC will be here next year and the year after, the market is too big too miss.

AC: V should be next year, I hope we don't stay in the 1700's.

STDlyMcStudpants
11-20-2013, 04:33 AM
Current gen AC will be here next year and the year after, the market is too big too miss.

AC: V should be next year, I hope we don't stay in the 1700's.

Me too. Im done with it lol. No native americans or pirates.
My dream was always a runnaway slave assassin in the americas (south) but Freedom Cry pretty much fills that void :D
Its time we get back to the middle east lol

LoyalACFan
11-20-2013, 04:35 AM
I hope we don't stay in the 1700's.

I know the feeling, but at the same time I'm still conflicted. I really want a game that redeems Connor's butchered story from AC3, there was so much potential there... -__- On the other hand, I'm getting really damn sick of reloading flintlocks :p

If the next game is set in the Orient, though, I think I'll quickly get over Connor.

roostersrule2
11-20-2013, 04:43 AM
Me too. Im done with it lol. No native americans or pirates.
My dream was always a runnaway slave assassin in the americas (south) but Freedom Cry pretty much fills that void :D
Its time we get back to the middle east lolIndeed, Freedom Cry looks cool. As for the Middle East I think it should be incorporated in an Ancient Greece game with Alexander. As he spent much of his time in Persia.

I know the feeling, but at the same time I'm still conflicted. I really want a game that redeems Connor's butchered story from AC3, there was so much potential there... -__- On the other hand, I'm getting really damn sick of reloading flintlocks :p

If the next game is set in the Orient, though, I think I'll quickly get over Connor.The only game that would have worked would have been Connor in the French Revolution, but we shan't be getting that, the orient has hardly been covered by AC and it needs to be soon.

neokinesis
11-20-2013, 07:15 AM
"We cannot tell you that we're happy and this is how we want the game to be and we're going to do ten more games with exactly that same gameplay," Decant argued. "No, we are unhappy. We want to do more. There are lots of things we want to refine on the combat side, on the parkour, on the stealth."

I felt like they made huge strides to improve these things in this version. Being able to jump to and from moving objects (ships and observatory) was a huge plus over older games. The levels were largely well developed, clear to see paths to move around, and play the way I wanted. If movement mechanics are what you fix, have it be swimming. Swimming sucked! and I think you knew this, this is why Ubisoft put it late in the game with very little frequency. Battle and Sailing had issues too. like, not being able to drive every ship was really really lame. If I sneak onto a ship in the middle of battle without anchoring to it first, I should still be able to take it into my fleet.

However, if the money to improve things is spent, I felt like the weakest part of the game was one of two things.

*SPOILERS BELOW*

1. I hated the UI fleet mechanic.

I want to play and interact. The fleet UI, sending ships, making routes safer, it all felt horrible like an add-on bolted onto the side of a beautiful game, like a tumor. That said, I liked how your fleet ships would show up in the game world when they were not on a voyage. I liked that you captured them and added them to your fleet. I loved coming back to the game the next day after my fleets returned with tons of money and supplies. I also enjoyed being able to log in with my iPad and control my fleets when I only had a few minutes to play so I can control the resource management. There was a lot of effort to try and integrate it into the overall design but even with all those nice nuances, I didn't think the app was fun. It was distracting and UI heavy. It lacked the same carefulness put into the game. It lacked gameplay. it was largely an unoriginal marketing ploy to get an app to the top of the iOS storefront so the console game looked bigger than it was. It gated content I wanted when I had the time to play, instead of when the appointment made it the right time for me. This over saturation hurts the brand. It is like licensing your product to a studio that doesn't care about your property and ****s all over it for a rushed release. It is like Crazy Birds underwear or a Miley Cyris wrecking ball video. AVATAR the movie: the game strategy is wrong and I feel dirty playing those games. I support Ubisoft so I try them and watch how the strategy of the company evolves but sometimes they don't all fit the fiction, finesse, and world of the Brand. AC is that, don't poo poo on it anymore. I have accepted that I can play in the simulation someone who isnt related to me's genetic memory. And I have accepted that we need Next Gen console to have the power to run those external simulations. Those are cool story fictions which imply better gameplay and more immersive worlds. Don't make them UI heavy appointment mechanics...DON'T!

2. The second thing I hated about AC and feel needs more attention in later versions are the relationships.

I had this problem with FarCry3 also. The attention and detail given to characters who are supposed to be important to each other breaks character often, or lacks he build up to allow me to understand and feel as the character. Here are a couple of examples...

In FC3 you go from playing an entire game to get back to your girlfriend to making a complete about face and slitting your girlfriends throat, in an instant. First there wasn't enough relationship shown to me as a player to understand the kind of relationship the main character was having with his girl. Next their were memories and interactions but I was always an individual. in all those scenarios, WE never really existed. One might argue that this is the reason you can turn away and leave her for the island and Citra, but I don't feel that relationship was built up enough yet. The relationship for you to Citra was subservient. So you go from her telling you what to do, to suddenly having sex with her. There needs to be more intimacy, and i don't mean kissing and sex, but suggested banter, storytelling foreplay.

In AC you had a girlfriend/wife you leave to create a better life. There wasn't enough explanation about how important that relationship was to your character in the beginning of the game. To add to that, you can invite characters into your bed, which isn't sexual at all, it is you instead chasing them in the city like you do when you murder thieves, but when you capture them they appear in your bed and you beside it, both totally clothed. This is a form of storytelling I reject. Even as a dominate man and sexual partner. there is a lot more to love and chemistry than chasing someone down and bashing them with a stick.[/spoiler]

Another weird thing that happened in AC4 was James Kidd is really a woman, that you apparently had or may have wanted a relationship with. But before her death, there is not even as much as a hand touch, a kiss, any embrace. You instead do a single mission with him/her where she reveals her secret. This at the time felt like she just trusted you because you too had secrets and both seemed lost in life. But when she dies your character goes into such a deep depression that it changes the games focus, almost implying you had a relationship with her. Among the million other things that happened in the game. Your relationship with the women wasn't strong enough. and worse, you rebound to Bonnie immediately. Which by the way was the only true female character you even see or interact with, or that the game even suggests could be a sexual being.

Another example is Blood Dragon where you go from a major epic kill moment, to a sex scene, nudity etc. I feel like there is no respect for the two different emotions. And this is a polarizing trend in video games that makes me turn away. I believe love is an extreme emotion, and anger and violence is also an extreme emotion. But I don't believe they need to be put in the same bucket of tools to heighten the thrill of a game. I believe they can exist next to each other, not together. Because right now the message is confused. The way Ubisoft shows me to love and hate is confused. Spend more care with these emotions, please! It will have such a better impact on the game and audience, not just me.

Farlander1991
11-20-2013, 10:38 AM
But when she dies your character goes into such a deep depression that it changes the games focus, almost implying you had a relationship with her.

First, use spoiler tags please, this thread is not marked as spoilers.

Second...

I honestly don't get why people think that just because Edward was really affected by Mary's death means that there was an implied relationship, or some one of the two wanted to be in a relationship, or... People of opposite sex can just care about each other.

Edward knew Mary for 6 years at the least, probably more like 7-8 (since he knew James Kidd before the events of the game). She helped him on several occasions, saved his skin, was one of the few people who had faith in him straightening his path, and when he finally realized this she was dying, of course he'd be devastated by her death.

Add to the fact that before that Thatch died, he had to kill Hornigold, Nassau fell apart, his crew has deserted him, of course he'll fall into a drinking depression with all that combined.

ArabianFrost
11-20-2013, 11:48 AM
I hope that doesn't mean we won't get a PS3 version :-/ I don't care if it's half the game AC5 on next-gen is. I don't care about the social aspect anyway.

pacmanate
11-20-2013, 12:19 PM
I guess when I said Sony will support the PS3 for 2 years no one listened huh.

ArabianFrost
11-20-2013, 12:51 PM
I guess when I said Sony will support the PS3 for 2 years no one listened huh.
I did listen, but it doesn't mean Ubisoft has to abide. He's saying the next game will feel more next-gen, so the question begs to be asked if they won't just bother with current-gen to develop without any limitations.

ze_topazio
11-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Black Flag was developed for the current gen and later adapted to the next gen, what he meant is that the next game is being developed with the next gen in mind.

ArabianFrost
11-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Black Flag was developed for the current gen and later adapted to the next gen, what he meant is that the next game is being developed with the next gen in mind.

Are you certain this isn't an assumption?

(Also, Sweden :( )

pacmanate
11-20-2013, 01:03 PM
I did listen, but it doesn't mean Ubisoft has to abide. He's saying the next game will feel more next-gen, so the question begs to be asked if they won't just bother with current-gen to develop without any limitations.

It means that they might have bigger next gen teams as the years go on and less on current.

ArabianFrost
11-20-2013, 01:19 PM
It means that they might have bigger next gen teams as the years go on and less on current.
Splendid! Anything which gives worth to my PS3 until the PS4 slim (probably appropriately-timed in 2 years) comes out is a big "yes" in my book.

Anywho, this is really really really exciting news. My only disappointment with AC4 were the AC3-ish mechanics. If they speak truth to how they really want to keep the game's cores relevant, then I'm really optimistic about the future of AC. AC4 was not only a step to return the series to stealth, but to also rebuild some of the damaged bridges between the fans and the devs...some. Let's see what they'll do with AC5.

ze_topazio
11-20-2013, 01:45 PM
(Also, Sweden :( )

They got nothing on us! :cool:

DetroitPlaya
11-20-2013, 03:10 PM
As I stated earlier, the artcile simply says that AC IV's 8th gen version is based much on speculation of specs, so it was much more focused on 7th gen.

Next AC will have focus on the new tech (along with old) , without any guessing involved - so it will likely have better framerate, higher textures, etc, etc.

And the PS3/X360 version simply have to "settle" with the AC IV level of quality, since that's how much they can get from the machines (which is rather impressive, tbh).

MnemonicSyntax
11-20-2013, 03:54 PM
I think they should make a game with Edward and Haytham. It would make a great game, new location in England, maybe even Scotland or something too. Seeing as how Edward was an assassin, it could show how Haytham used to be an assassin, and the falling out that lead him to be a Templar. Growing up as Haytham in London as an assassin, then falling out with his father and switching to the Templars.
I read another post in Future AC Titles that mentioned how Edinbrough (not sure if that's the spelling) had a massive underground system, so that would be interesting.

Haytham was never an Assassin.

First, use spoiler tags please, this thread is not marked as spoilers.

Second...

I honestly don't get why people think that just because Edward was really affected by Mary's death means that there was an implied relationship, or some one of the two wanted to be in a relationship, or... People of opposite sex can just care about each other.

Edward knew Mary for 6 years at the least, probably more like 7-8 (since he knew James Kidd before the events of the game). She helped him on several occasions, saved his skin, was one of the few people who had faith in him straightening his path, and when he finally realized this she was dying, of course he'd be devastated by her death.

Add to the fact that before that Thatch died, he had to kill Hornigold, Nassau fell apart, his crew has deserted him, of course he'll fall into a drinking depression with all that combined.

Agreed, 100%.

Also, new stealth! new parkour! new combat! Oh joy, maybe AssassinHMS will be thrilled now, until we find out there's still no weight system or light/dark stealth.

neokinesis
11-20-2013, 05:43 PM

I mostly agree, however, for a game which at its core is a very sad love story, it didn't explain who and how Kenway loved very well. OR rather, actions speak louder than words, and the only real instance where he 'showed' any type of affection, platonic or more, to a woman was James Kidd.

All the other examples I can think of were just words. Like when he asks Bonnie to sail with him or when his wife died and he must take care of his daughter, which was actually a really nicely crafted story moment.

to see his drunken stooper reaction would have been even better suited had he discovered he had built/upgraded his whole town to discover his wife had died and he could no longer share it with her and that she would no longer see all that he had accomplished Or for him, even as neglectful as he was, to discover he really hadn't kept a promise to someone he was supposed to have loved.

I realize it is cliche but this could of been delivered through nightmares and included symbolism with sea monsters of the time. Giant Squids, serpents, craken, etc. FarCry3 did flashback and crazy sequences really well. I would have liked to have seen more of that so that the dream sequences are interactive.

I guess my point is that love can be complicated and as real as anything physical. It requires a lot of action and I felt like AC4 'telling' treated it like the delivery of a bedtime story. approachable and elementary as if delivered to an innocent child. the love I believe this game needed should have been sophisticated by many layers, entangled, and adult.