PDA

View Full Version : Is Ubi cutting corners?

Xemnas07
11-19-2013, 06:03 AM
Now don't get me wrong, i LOVE ac3 and am really enjoying ac4 (despite the repetitive non-naval combat due to lack of weapon variety) but it seems like ubi is cutting more and more corners in their games. In AC3, they copy and pasted the animations for the tomahawk into the daggers, making it pointless to use the dagger, and didnt even have outfits transfer into cut scenes like they have in all previous games. Now with AC4, they craft an amazing immersive world, then dumb down the difficulty of the combat, put in only 1 weapon type, and dumb down the hunting mechanics. If they would just leave these little things in that the gamers ACTUALLY care about, theyd have a damn near perfect game. I just hope they dont start cutting more and more corners like EA.

What do you guys think? Am i being to harsh? Too stupid? Agree? Disagree? Don't care?

EDIT: I have also caught multiple cases of grammatical and spelling mistakes in the tutorial boxes and other text throughout the game. This is really annoying to me. I mean really? youre a professional company. Not only that, when i see that stuff it totally ruins immersion for me.

AdamPearce
11-19-2013, 06:16 AM
Well technically ACB and ACR were just copy/pasted one another. The first one from AC2 and the other from ACB. So...

But for Black Flag, I will simply saiy that it's a shame to have the same animations for the double swords and the tomahawk/ hidden blade combo from AC3. It's just so dumb, it doesn't fit AT ALL. One simple example: When an ennemy is on the ground, Edward uses the LATERAL part of his sword to finish him off, this is just so wrong!! It's like he doesn't even know there is a pointy end on his sword! Ans the major problem is that 90% of the animations were just copy pasted even when they said that Edward would have a whole new set of animation. The only actual thing he has is the way he walks and how he starts running, but that's it!

I mean, I don't care for parkour really, but damn, at least make an effort one the combats! Even ACB, which 95% AC pasted and like 2 animations from AC2. And ACR had one the most diverse and fresh kit of kill animations! But Black Flag had one, ONE, it's so lame.

Kagurra
11-19-2013, 06:22 AM
Now don't get me wrong, i LOVE ac3 and am really enjoying ac4 (despite the repetitive non-naval combat due to lack of weapon variety) but it seems like ubi is cutting more and more corners in their games. In AC3, they copy and pasted the animations for the tomahawk into the daggers, making it pointless to use the dagger, and didnt even have outfits transfer into cut scenes like they have in all previous games. Now with AC4, they craft an amazing immersive world, then dumb down the difficulty of the combat, put in only 1 weapon type, and dumb down the hunting mechanics. If they would just leave these little things in that the gamers ACTUALLY care about, theyd have a damn near perfect game. I just hope they dont start cutting more and more corners like EA.

What do you guys think? Am i being to harsh? Too stupid? Agree? Disagree? Don't care?

Well technically there's only one less weapon type than AC3 for combat. No tomahawks. That's it. Let's pretend daggers weren't in that game because of what you said, so all you had were tomahawks, (I only ever used the Assassin tomahawk, so I guess there was a bit less variety for me) sword, hidden blade, and fists. Oh, I'm forgetting about blunt weapons but they were no "not-assassin" and took up the sword slot. So basically just no tomahawks in AC4.

I would love to have a dagger though. But they're too lazy to do that. There's no tomahawks in AC4 so they can't re-use animations again, and they don't want to give it separate animations. Maybe next game we can have some sort of shot-blade along with our sword.

Kagurra
11-19-2013, 06:25 AM
One simple example: When an ennemy is on the ground, Edward uses the LATERAL part of his sword to finish him off, this is just so wrong!! It's like he doesn't even know there is a pointy end on his sword!

To be perfectly fair those only look stupid if you're using like, stabby rapier swords. Those animations look awesome with the pirate scimitars and pistol swords. The animations are more meant for slashing weapons versus piercing weapons. Since this is the case there should be more slashing type looking swords in the game besides the two I mentioned. I think the Swords of Toledo from uplay also will look fine with those animations.

As for ground kills, I think he stabs them with the single sword if you take one off of an enemy. You have to keep disarmed weapons in mind when you talk about the number of weapon types since you can use them frequently, just not equip them.

BATISTABUS
11-19-2013, 06:29 AM
I really am particular about polish and things like that, but re-using animations, especially in the case of multiplayer, really does not bother me at all.

Xemnas07
11-19-2013, 06:33 AM
Well technically there's only one less weapon type than AC3 for combat. No tomahawks. That's it. Let's pretend daggers weren't in that game because of what you said, so all you had were tomahawks, (I only ever used the Assassin tomahawk, so I guess there was a bit less variety for me) sword, hidden blade, and fists. Oh, I'm forgetting about blunt weapons but they were no "not-assassin" and took up the sword slot. So basically just no tomahawks in AC4.

I would love to have a dagger though. But they're too lazy to do that. There's no tomahawks in AC4 so they can't re-use animations again, and they don't want to give it separate animations. Maybe next game we can have some sort of shot-blade along with our sword.

even if it was one more weapon type at least it would be something. all we have now are swords, fists, and hidden blades. well, most of the animations for the hidden blades from AC# didnt change, so thats nothing to be excited about. and as for the swords, well they were cool..... for the first 100 battles. I mean, this is mostly a matter aesthetics, but aesthetics MATTER when it comes to combat in games. It is nice (at least for me, and rewarding to see a new weapon i bought dispatch people in a multitude of different ways. it vindicates my purchase and gives me something else to look forward to in combat. and hell, if they add more speed, less dmg, etc to the weapon type, it even changes how i approach the situation and play out the combat. As for your comment on blunt weapons, i feel like a lot of people have the same criticism of heavy weapons of not "being very assassin like" keep in mind, that assassins, while they are meant to kill without getting caught, arent like ninjas; they dont HAVE to be stealth, assassins are just killers, and how they choose to kill is totally up to them. and thats just it, i want the freedom to CHOOSE what weapons i use (and actually have other weapon options) and be vindicated in when i do it. It just doesnt make sense to me that in an open-world game, they would strip away choice and variety.

Kagurra
11-19-2013, 06:38 AM
even if it was one more weapon type at least it would be something. all we have now are swords, fists, and hidden blades. well, most of the animations for the hidden blades from AC# didnt change, so thats nothing to be excited about. and as for the swords, well they were cool..... for the first 100 battles. I mean, this is mostly a matter aesthetics, but aesthetics MATTER when it comes to combat in games. It is nice (at least for me, and rewarding to see a new weapon i bought dispatch people in a multitude of different ways. it vindicates my purchase and gives me something else to look forward to in combat. and hell, if they add more speed, less dmg, etc to the weapon type, it even changes how i approach the situation and play out the combat. As for your comment on blunt weapons, i feel like a lot of people have the same criticism of heavy weapons of not "being very assassin like" keep in mind, that assassins, while they are meant to kill without getting caught, arent like ninjas; they dont HAVE to be stealth, assassins are just killers, and how they choose to kill is totally up to them. and thats just it, i want the freedom to CHOOSE what weapons i use (and actually have other weapon options) and be vindicated in when i do it. It just doesnt make sense to me that in an open-world game, they would strip away choice and variety.

Well for instance if you're used to using really fast swords, try switching to the pirate scimitars if you want something awesome and different. They're my favorite swords in the game and I haven't even played it yet. They aren't super fast, so it's a tiny bit more realistic and the damage is awesome from what I've seen. AND they look most like the sword Edward holds on the cover of the game.

Oh, and like I said in my other post they look really awesome with the game's slashing animations for the swords. And they look good with the stabbing ones, but yeah, some other swords look silly with the slashing animations. Also, while the pistol swords look cool, it's really silly that they shoot like 40 times in a fight if it lasts that long. You'd totally have to reload them.

AdamPearce
11-19-2013, 07:27 AM
To be perfectly fair those only look stupid if you're using like, stabby rapier swords. Those animations look awesome with the pirate scimitars and pistol swords. The animations are more meant for slashing weapons versus piercing weapons. Since this is the case there should be more slashing type looking swords in the game besides the two I mentioned. I think the Swords of Toledo from uplay also will look fine with those animations.

As for ground kills, I think he stabs them with the single sword if you take one off of an enemy. You have to keep disarmed weapons in mind when you talk about the number of weapon types since you can use them frequently, just not equip them.

Then what's the point of having a pointy end if it's not for piercing people? I mean, who does that? really, I don't think no one on Earth would ever finish someone that is on the ground with a 'slash' movement, just no. Plus, Edward would gain much more time by stabbing people just like did Altair and Ezio. Just admit that the devs were too lazy to put a new animation, either that or they definetely didn't have enough time to make their game properly.

MnemonicSyntax
11-19-2013, 07:39 AM

EDIT: I have also caught multiple cases of grammatical and spelling mistakes in the tutorial boxes and other text throughout the game. This is really annoying to me. I mean really? youre a professional company. Not only that, when i see that stuff it totally ruins immersion for me.

The hunting feels much more difficult. Without snares, bait and an auto lock system, it takes a bit more patience, which is good in my opinion.

The grammatical errors I'm not sure about, unless you mean the odd capitalization of certain words, which seems very intentional. Could you give an example and how it ruins immersion for you? Because if it's the subtitles, you as Edward don't see those anyway.

Then what's the point of having a pointy end if it's not for piercing people? I mean, who does that? really, I don't think no one on Earth would ever finish someone that is on the ground with a 'slash' movement, just no. Plus, Edward would gain much more time by stabbing people just like did Altair and Ezio. Just admit that the devs were too lazy to put a new animation, either that or they definetely didn't have enough time to make their game properly.

Why should we admit to anything when we don't know for sure. That doesn't make sense. We don't speak for other people. It could have been time, or money or they liked the animation. They at least fit. You go to Aveline and play her DLC, and it's Connor's moves to the letter. She even does that flip thing that Connor does with his tomahawk. At least Edward doesn't do that, because it doesn't make sense to use it with a sword.

Plus, there's new animations anyway and I think they're great. I see no problem with recycling a few older animations as long as it's not a direct copy and paste. Plus, it gives you the idea that hey, now we know where Connor and Haytham got some of their moves from, or at least their tenacity and beast mode in battle.

Kagurra
11-19-2013, 07:53 AM

Well, I'm pretty sure they were designed that way on purpose. The general attacks aren't copy pasted from the tomahawk's in AC3, it's blatantly obvious. Edward slashes them with both swords at the same time sometimes, you never saw anything like that in AC3.

No, the double sword animations were designed with the slashing weapons in mind. Now I will admit that it was laziness on the devs part to put such rapier looking swords in the game in the first place. Some of them even look like fencing swords. Edward isn't Altair and Ezio. I'm glad he has his own style, so to say.

Hell, Edward is holding what looks like a fancier version of the pirate scimitar on the cover of the game and he used it in the early cinematic trailers. If it bugs you when he sticks his fencing sword into an enemy's shoulder vertically while he does some other attack to finish them, just use one of the different swords. Problem solved.

SneakierNote
11-19-2013, 07:58 AM
[QUOTE=Xemnas07;9384519]Now don't get me wrong, i LOVE ac3 and am really enjoying ac4 (despite the repetitive non-naval combat due to lack of weapon variety) but it seems like ubi is cutting more and more corners in their games. In AC3, they copy and pasted the animations for the tomahawk into the daggers, making it pointless to use the dagger, and didnt even have outfits transfer into cut scenes like they have in all previous games. Now with AC4, they craft an amazing immersive world, then dumb down the difficulty of the combat, put in only 1 weapon type, and dumb down the hunting mechanics. If they would just leave these little things in that the gamers ACTUALLY care about, theyd have a damn near perfect game. I just hope they dont start cutting more and more corners like EA.

I agree with you %100 about EA games. Also if Ubisoft would of added just a few more weapons and made the ManO'Wars and combat %50 harder the game would be a 10, instead of a 9. Also why go to all the hard work and miss the little details that make a good game great? We seriously think alike. The issues you have talked about,I have done the same in other threads atleast a dozen times.

Are only hope is that they are working on some DLC we do not know about, thats are only hope I think.

Xemnas07
11-19-2013, 08:06 AM
[QUOTE=Xemnas07;9384519]Now don't get me wrong, i LOVE ac3 and am really enjoying ac4 (despite the repetitive non-naval combat due to lack of weapon variety) but it seems like ubi is cutting more and more corners in their games. In AC3, they copy and pasted the animations for the tomahawk into the daggers, making it pointless to use the dagger, and didnt even have outfits transfer into cut scenes like they have in all previous games. Now with AC4, they craft an amazing immersive world, then dumb down the difficulty of the combat, put in only 1 weapon type, and dumb down the hunting mechanics. If they would just leave these little things in that the gamers ACTUALLY care about, theyd have a damn near perfect game. I just hope they dont start cutting more and more corners like EA.

I agree with you %100 about EA games. Also if Ubisoft would of added just a few more weapons and made the ManO'Wars and combat %50 harder the game would be a 10, instead of a 9. Also why go to all the hard work and miss the little details that make a good game great? We seriously think alike. The issues you have talked about,I have done the same in other threads atleast a dozen times.

Are only hope is that they are working on some DLC we do not know about, thats are only hope I think.

Im glad you agree. Sometimes the little things make all the difference, and it upsets me that they do everything else so great but tend to forget the little things.

Xemnas07
11-19-2013, 08:11 AM
The hunting feels much more difficult. Without snares, bait and an auto lock system, it takes a bit more patience, which is good in my opinion.

The grammatical errors I'm not sure about, unless you mean the odd capitalization of certain words, which seems very intentional. Could you give an example and how it ruins immersion for you? Because if it's the subtitles, you as Edward don't see those anyway.

well to me, the hunting is extremely boring and repetitive; it is highly unlikey an animal will ever path close enough for you to assassinate it and without bait, all you can do is run around and shoot them, which is not only easier because it no longer damages the pelt, but makes no sense; if you have to hunt, wouldnt you develop a more efficient way than using a highly inaccurate pistol that takes forever to reload?

As for the grammatical mistakes, the first example i can think of was early in the game a tutorial popped up about hiding and escaping from combat, and while i cant remember exactly what it said, it was supposed to say "or in combat" but instead said "is it" or "it is" or soemthing weird like that. So the sentence ended up being somehting like "while hiding it is combat" when it should have been "while hiding OR IN combat" and that just totally breaks immersion for me because it reminds me that this is just a game and someone didnt do their job correctly. and it jsut shows more laziness and/or that they rushed the project, and i dont like that idea at all.

SneakierNote
11-19-2013, 08:13 AM
Xemnas07 I am adding you to my friends list, hope its cool with you.: )

Xemnas07
11-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Xemnas07 I am adding you to my friends list, hope its cool with you.: )

yea thats cool man

Syler99
11-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Yes it obvious they're cutting corners it also seems they aren't researching properly dropping the ball so much in AC3 but I'm sure any Europeans can let us know how badly they messed up AC2 and so fourth but I can at least go and say AC3 shotty research with a brick Gump protagonist wasn't fun. I think what they'll do is recycle what works and nix what doesn't until they can get the right blend to copy paste things of little importance so they can focus on priority items.

Kagurra
11-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Yes it obvious they're cutting corners it also seems they aren't researching properly dropping the ball so much in AC3 but I'm sure any Europeans can let us know how badly they messed up AC2 and so fourth but I can at least go and say AC3 shotty research with a brick Gump protagonist wasn't fun. I think what they'll do is recycle what works and nix what doesn't until they can get the right blend to copy paste things of little importance so they can focus on priority items.

Hey, he wasn't a gump... okay?

He's a potato.

Xemnas07
11-21-2013, 01:34 AM

i actually liked connor, he gets a lot of crap but fact of the matter is, his distant, emotionless, monotone way of speech was how a lot of natives spoke english. so in my opinion it was an accurate portrayal. what research did they mess up in AC3?

BoBwUzHeRe1138
11-21-2013, 02:09 AM
I liked Connor. He wasn't as charismatic or likable as Ezio but not every protagonist needs to be a charming guy with a sense of humor. How could he be when his people were treated so atrociously?

I may not have liked the game he was in that much but he was good and the plot was fairly good too (the revolution, historical one that is)