PDA

View Full Version : Great Inagua...kinda pointless?

RoBg03
11-18-2013, 08:10 PM
In past ac games i always thought it was fun upgrading your 'town' or investing in local businesses that gave you income/upgrades. but upgrading your home base at great inagua is a little pointless. for instance, you build a 7,000 R fire on a beach so that you can use pirates without paying them, or 15,000R for a *****house for free 'dancers' (i see how they sidestepped the prostitute issue btw) but by the time you have that kind of disposable income, spending 200 every once in a while for pirates or dancers is not a big deal at all. now granted, they will attack on their own but sometimes i don't want them to. how bout free ammo or repairs for the jackdaw? something, i did kinda bankrole this whole town and all its inhabitants. i really thought i'd get free crew recruitment but not that either. i guess with fast travel it would make all the other shops redundant but still, i'd like to see something.

MnemonicSyntax
11-18-2013, 08:15 PM
I do it for the role play aesthetic. So, it's nice to have a place to come back to from time to time, and since I don't fast travel, it's nice to sail wearily for home.

Also, I've seen dancers and pirates "help out" without paying them or having the upgrade. In fact, it happened in Havana my first time there and I was kinda shocked.

jayjay275
11-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Well, I had 80,000R and spent all of it on Great Inagua upgrades. A day after, I now have 40,000 R. Why is it a problem, if anything it gives you more to do.

RoBg03
11-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Well, I had 80,000R and spent all of it on Great Inagua upgrades. A day after, I now have 40,000 R. Why is it a problem, if anything it gives you more to do.

yeah, i'm glad its in there as something to do, but i just remember it being more enjoyable in the other ac games. ac3 even had missions to complete before you could get certain things. i do like to pretend i'm giving my crew a break back at the camp every so often though. by the way, does anyone know how to get to the cadaver on that island? you can't swim to it...maybe i just havent found the path yet, those jungle paths can be confusing.

phoenix-force411
11-18-2013, 08:31 PM
Upgrading the Homestead in ACIII was very fun, and the missions were overall better than the actual storyline missions.

RoBg03
11-18-2013, 08:43 PM
Upgrading the Homestead in ACIII was very fun, and the missions were overall better than the actual storyline missions.

I liked that the homestead residents were all they're own characters as well. it gave me a reason to want to upgrade and complete their storys.

TheDanteEX
11-18-2013, 08:43 PM
It's less pointless than most other islands in the game. It was used for a mission and they let you do something with it after it's completed.

Cixelsid68
11-18-2013, 08:46 PM
does anyone know how to get to the cadaver on that island? you can't swim to it...maybe i just havent found the path yet, those jungle paths can be confusing.

Yes you have to climb the trees just beyond the shore and jump over to a landing. You can't get to it from the water.

Wolfmeister1010
11-18-2013, 08:59 PM
I wish they let you upgrade and customize more, like upgrade your manor, maybe fix the broken windmill, add more houses, make a paved road.

I would have liked some missions as well.

SenseHomunculus
11-18-2013, 09:37 PM
a *****house for free 'dancers' (i see how they sidestepped the prostitute issue btw)

Actually, it says in the Animus database that they were referred to at the time as "dancers" much like prostitutes were commonly called "courtesans" in the Renaissance age and beyond. In the entry it makes pretty clear what they were there for.

gothpunkboy89
11-18-2013, 09:42 PM
Not that hard to get the money. South is full of frigates and Man o Wars. Honestly just attacking them more then made me money. Just trying to get metal to upgrade Jackdaw armor after I sold all my sugar and rum I went from about 20k when I started hunting ships to over 100k when I finally pulled into port and sold everything.

RoBg03
11-18-2013, 10:48 PM
Actually, it says in the Animus database that they were referred to at the time as "dancers" much like prostitutes were commonly called "courtesans" in the Renaissance age and beyond. In the entry it makes pretty clear what they were there for.

i didn't see that. interesting to know. learn something new every day!

chibi_andy
11-19-2013, 03:16 PM
I wish they let you upgrade and customize more, like upgrade your manor, maybe fix the broken windmill, add more houses, make a paved road.

actually you can upgrade the manor, like improve the gardens, add a tower and even a guest house, buts thats about as much upgrading you could do to it

luckyto
11-19-2013, 04:09 PM
In past ac games i always thought it was fun upgrading your 'town' or investing in local businesses that gave you income/upgrades. but upgrading your home base at great inagua is a little pointless. for instance, you build a 7,000 R fire on a beach so that you can use pirates without paying them, or 15,000R for a *****house for free 'dancers' (i see how they sidestepped the prostitute issue btw) but by the time you have that kind of disposable income, spending 200 every once in a while for pirates or dancers is not a big deal at all. now granted, they will attack on their own but sometimes i don't want them to. how bout free ammo or repairs for the jackdaw? something, i did kinda bankrole this whole town and all its inhabitants. i really thought i'd get free crew recruitment but not that either. i guess with fast travel it would make all the other shops redundant but still, i'd like to see something.

I enjoyed it. It could be more, but given that the game does so many other things well, that I'm OK with spending money on just decoration for the fun of it.

egriffin09
11-19-2013, 04:57 PM
I don't think the Great Inagua is pointless. I would upgrade the Jackdaw during the playthrough of AC IV, then save upgrading Great Inagua for after finishing the main story line.

pacmanate
11-19-2013, 05:53 PM
I found it kinda pointless, I only upgraded things after I completed the game but only out of pure luck that I remembered you could even do it.

hoju74
11-19-2013, 06:03 PM
It would be nice to have some side missions there similar to the homestead stuff in AC3. It might make for cool DLC, but probably won't happen.

twenty_glyphs
11-19-2013, 07:35 PM
Yeah, it was pretty pointless but I'm glad it was there. Because upgrading it just wastes money that's better spent on upgrading the Jackdaw, you tend to ignore it until after that's done and the story is done. Because of that, I never had any kind of attachment to it like Ezio's villa. I wish upgrading the hideout had served some other purpose to encourage doing it earlier, and maybe there had been one or two more missions that took you back there, or at least started there (I guess Sequence 8 did that once?). I was confused about what Edward's home base should be. I kept thinking it was supposed to be Nassau before realizing I guess it was the pirate cove. I like the cove itself and how it fits the home base concept of the series into the setting, though.

Landruner
11-19-2013, 09:37 PM

You know, the more you post and the more I read them, the more I like you :o- Good Point! More upgrade, but with something useful and deeper (Like player cares), upgrading the village, and having some missions there would be great. That will be a cool DLCs to combine with random encounter events (Ala RDR) like we were previously talking and some more stuff to do after we have finishing the game.

OHIC
11-20-2013, 12:37 AM

I think that says more about the weakness of the story missions than the strength of the Homestead ones. I thought they were pretty dreadful too, with really embarrassingly bad script.