PDA

View Full Version : Lack of weapon variety... Good or Bad?

Xemnas07
11-18-2013, 06:42 AM
So personally, im disappointed with the lack of weapon variety in AC4. Great game, but personally, i like having a variety of weapons to change up my play style and see different animations. What do you guys think? Good? Bad? Don't care?

roostersrule2
11-18-2013, 06:45 AM
I agree, the only weapons we had were the swords and hidden blades, obviously we had tools like the pistols and rope dart but we didn't have enough main weapons.

phoenix-force411
11-18-2013, 06:47 AM
Lack of weapon variety really killed the combat for me, and plus, the combat is boring in ACIV. But the story is what I live for for this series.

Kagurra
11-18-2013, 06:54 AM
All we need is a dagger like in AC:B and AC:R. One with it's one animations, not like that bull crap in AC3.

BATISTABUS
11-18-2013, 06:55 AM
I prefer more effort be put into fewer tools. I very much dislike useless/excess/extraneous inclusions in games. Make it as simple and elegant as possible imo. That's one of the biggest things that bothered me about bombs in Revelations...they were just useless. If it's not going to add another level of strategy to the core of the game, skip it.

TheDanteEX
11-18-2013, 06:56 AM
It didn't bother me, really. It was simple and I was fine with that. Duel swords for main combat, hidden blades for stealth, fists for non-lethal kills. Then you have your gadgets, blah blah blah. The only problem is the combat system makes combat essentially the same despite which weapon you're using. And that does bother me because I really do love the new combat system, but it just doesn't seem to accommodate variety; and if it does they've yet to take advantage of it. It's very fun but it's very shallow.

Kagurra
11-18-2013, 06:58 AM
I prefer more effort be put into fewer tools. I very much dislike useless/excess/extraneous inclusions in games. Make it as simple and elegant as possible imo. That's one of the biggest things that bothered me about bombs in Revelations...they were just useless. If it's not going to add another level of strategy to the core of the game, skip it.

Right, but like I said we need a dagger. The only logical choice for a large fight is the swords, whereas a dagger could mix things up.

TheDanteEX
11-18-2013, 07:01 AM
I loved being able to use the dagger as a throwing knife and being able to pick it back up after using it. Just allow it to be used in close combat too and it'll be a great addition.

Sigv4rd
11-18-2013, 07:02 AM
They Really need to find a good balance between AC4 and AC:R...

Kagurra
11-18-2013, 07:05 AM
They Really need to find a good balance between AC4 and AC:R...

Between AC4 and AC:B. AC:R was ridiculous with all the bombs. Never really used them.

Sigv4rd
11-18-2013, 07:44 AM
Between AC4 and AC:B. AC:R was ridiculous with all the bombs. Never really used them.

I was giving a range of weapons from the last amount (AC4) to the most (AC:R)...
The bombs were a cool idea, but poorly implemented
They allowed for a way to manipulate the AI for stealthy players, and could be used in combat. But at the same time they were redundant at times.

SneakierNote
11-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Please post anything weapon related on my thread. I took alot of time to write it and make sure there were no grammer errors. I will bump my post up please read it, we need to unite under one thread.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
11-18-2013, 09:05 AM
I agree somewhat.

We don't need 20+ different sword types though that is cool to have to pick your own style but... did anyone ever REALLY use heavy weapons in ACB/ACR? Maybe a lot of you guys did. I never did because "heavy" weapons just seem like the antithesis of what an assassin, real or fictional, would likely carry or WANT to carry...

I would love to have single and dual wielding possibilities instead of being stuck with one or the other depending on the assassin which plays into the whole idea of LETTING US equip and unequip weapons. What if I don't WANT 4 pistols but only 2? What if I only want a single pistol?

So for weapons I'd LOVE:

Hidden Blade(s)
Swords
Daggers
Pistols
Rope Darts
Bow/Crossbow (maybe de-power it though since it's an instant kill AND silent...maybe it could only work if they're completely unaware of your presence but if they're suspicious or alert it will only hurt them, not kill whereas pistols and the like would be instant kill no matter what)

So while I would love more weapons, I also don't think there need to be as many such as maces, axes, and heavy swords as those don't really fit into the idea of being an assassin. That said, perhaps there could be unique weapons to find/unlock. For instance an Assassin Axe similar to the tomahawk from AC3 which is shaped like the Assassin symbol, a special club or two, etc.

AssassinHMS
11-18-2013, 11:58 AM
As long as all weapons can be removed and have different gameplay purposes then weapon variety is good. However, if it is a matter of watching different gruesome animations then no. The thing is, this depends on the combat system and on the evolution of the games. I'd really like to go to my hideout pick what weapons I want to take before going to a tough assassination mission. I also think there should be a weight limit as this would give even more purpose to the big weapon variety. If the player takes every kind of weapon with him (a crossbow, an axe, a knife…), the assassin will move slower, won’t be able to swim properly and his footsteps will be louder which will make the stealth approach harder. This way, the player feels like there are plenty of options and that his choices (the gear he chooses) actually matter.
Almost every addition in AC should be about (or at least help) encouraging the player to plan and think like an assassin and about giving the freedom to let him customize his experience according to his play style.

I also think that, this need for weapon variety comes from the crappy combat system. If it was an actual combat system (and not an instant kill system) with actual challenge, then people wouldn't waste time trying to mix different weapons in order to keep it interesting since, the challenge, the tension is what's really interesting. Ubisoft should know killing ants is boring and that the real fun comes from the rush and from the challenge.

xx-pyro
11-18-2013, 12:01 PM
I like the streamlined approach where we don't have an entire army's worth of weapons on us, however a few more options that make sense contextually would be good. Even just the option to swap between one and two swords in AC4 would have made it much more fun.

JamJar502
11-18-2013, 12:53 PM
If you're talking about stuff like axes, swords, daggers etc. then yes. More variety is good, especially if we can pick and choose what weapons we want on our character at any one time.
However, if you're talking about stuff like swords with different stats, then I'd rather not as none of the swords seem to have any benefit whatsoever as the combat's fairly easy regardless of what sword you're using.
The only reason why I buy the extra swords is to fill the spaces on the racks in the safehouse.

pacmanate
11-18-2013, 01:18 PM
I like fewer weapons, but only having the Hidden Blade and Swords ruined it for me. They could have at least given us short swords as well or the ability to carry an Axe. The animations were obviously there we just couldn't carry it permanently

PedroAntonio2
11-18-2013, 04:11 PM
I don't understand people here. I remember people complaining that in ACIII we had a LOT of useless weapons, and in ACIV Ubi tried to remove this useless weapons and now people are saying that there is lack of weapon variety ?

Wolfmeister1010
11-18-2013, 04:30 PM
I don't REALLY mind the lack of many weapons, but I would have liked for us to be able to have a dagger, or choose to have only one sword. I loved the animations for the single sword, and hate having to disarm people to use them.

SenseHomunculus
11-18-2013, 04:39 PM
did anyone ever REALLY use heavy weapons in ACB/ACR? Maybe a lot of you guys did. I never did because "heavy" weapons just seem like the antithesis of what an assassin, real or fictional, would likely carry or WANT to carry...

Utterly inauthentic for a stealthy assassin, but I LOVED using either the Spada Lunga or spadone. Those swords freaking rocked!! :p

Wolfmeister1010
11-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Utterly inauthentic for a stealthy assassin, but I LOVED using either the Spada Lunga or spadone. Those swords freaking rocked!! :p

I couldn't care less about heavy weapons. They are slow and annoying. But I love daggers

BATISTABUS
11-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Y'all are whack. Streamline ftw. Hell, I feel like AC4's weapons could've been stripped down even more. I never upgraded my swords a single time outside of when the game forces you to, and the combat was still extremely easy.

Landruner
11-18-2013, 05:38 PM
I would say Yes it is a lack of weapon variety - It only depends how people like to play their games and replay them. Once again and like I said before I will have been happier with a large arsenal present in game and that player can pick and switch for playing or replaying his game. (Just one Example among some other: ACR's bombs, I never really used them until I saw some teens relaying the game and making combos with them, and it was actually fun, I would have been happy than they re-introduce some you can buy at the shops, just for replay values and missing while free roaming)

Here is a problem with weapons also since AC3, after sequence 4 or 5, I believe, I was able to get the best swords around, and honestly that should happen much later in game like it was possible in the Ezio's games.
You don't feel progressing and can beat the game in using the same weapon, so consequently weapon variety become useless and obsolete, and it should not be this way

Xemnas07
11-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Im not sayin add in 80 different types of useless weapons, i just ouwldnt have minded a dagger or an axe, something to make combat feel less repetitive. I love the double swords, but the same animations over and over get boring, and the lack of ability to switch up weapons and change my play style on the fly is really disappointing. i love that about ac3. However, it seems like ubi is cutting more and more corners in their games. In AC3, they copy and pasted the animations for the tomahawk for the daggers, making it pointless to use the dagger, and didnt even have outfits transfer into cut scenes like they have in all previous games. Now with AC4, they craft an amazing immersive world, then dumb down the difficulty of the combat, put in only 1 weapon type, and dumb down the hunting mechanics. If they would just leave these little things in that the gamers ACTUALLY care about, theyd have a damn near perfect game. I just hope they dont start cutting more and more corners like EA.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
11-18-2013, 10:04 PM
Y'all are whack. Streamline ftw. Hell, I feel like AC4's weapons could've been stripped down even more. I never upgraded my swords a single time outside of when the game forces you to, and the combat was still extremely easy.

I've never understood the different stats for weapons.. the combat was easy enough as it is and they almost never had a noticeable impact and then some of the special weapons like the dagger of brutus were ridiculous by making enemies run away super fast.

That said... daggers are awesome and should have been included as daggers are a great weapon for an assassin to wield.

Landruner
11-19-2013, 12:59 AM
I've never understood the different stats for weapons.. the combat was easy enough as it is and they almost never had a noticeable impact and then some of the special weapons like the dagger of brutus were ridiculous by making enemies run away super fast.

That said... daggers are awesome and should have been included as daggers are a great weapon for an assassin to wield.

To me the state weapons were making more sense for the Ezios but did not really made sense for AC3 & 4 - I mean if it is a difference among weapon states, I don't see it the way it should be intended...?

I agree with you for the daggers - besides being historically speaking used by pirates, I don't get you they are not there...?

SleezeRocker
11-19-2013, 01:07 AM
Weapons barely matter since; Counter, kill :P
Sure some enemies are immune to that so Break Def, Hack hack hack OR <Smoke bomb+Hack away :P

Landruner
11-19-2013, 01:25 AM
Weapons barely matter since; Counter, kill :P
Sure some enemies are immune to that so Break Def, Hack hack hack OR <Smoke bomb+Hack away :P

Yep you make a point there, counter (block/parry) kills whatever weapons you may have, and it is sad because it would have been nicer to see that counter kill happens only when you progress or get the best weapon...supposedly in later game(s).

SleezeRocker
11-19-2013, 01:41 AM
Yep you make a point there, counter (block/parry) kills whatever weapons you may have, and it is sad because it would have been nicer to see that counter kill happens only when you progress or get the best weapon...supposedly in later game(s).

Yeah I think they should add Counter when you get a weapon with High Defelct/speed (like Lv 3+). I think that would seem...ideal?

Landruner
11-19-2013, 01:50 AM
Yeah I think they should add Counter when you get a weapon with High Defelct/speed (like Lv 3+). I think that would seem...ideal?

I just posted the quoted text bellow on another thread that is almost similar to that one (Game too easy)

"Anyway, I have tried just for the fun of it to fight tons of guards with just bear handed with not weapon at all, and I can still beat 20 to 50 guards in a row in Havana without getting my butt kicked just with Edward bear hands (and I am not better than anyone of you, on that forum) - That should not happen! that any one could almost beat the game without using any weapon and as far as I could recall only AC3 and 4 allows you to do that...."

So, more and less, anyone can beat the game almost without the use of weapons - In AC3 after you know how the Lev3/Jagers work you can kick their butts bear hands as well...

I-Like-Pie45
11-19-2013, 02:05 AM
Weapon choice shows that you are not confident about long-term relationships

Don't be a cheater

Pick a weapon and stick to it

AC2_alex
11-19-2013, 03:03 AM
Weapon choice shows that you are not confident about long-term relationships

Don't be a cheater

Pick a weapon and stick to it

lol

I like a to have a relatively limited weapons set. Too many and some begin to seem pointless.

Xemnas07
11-19-2013, 04:55 AM
I just posted the quoted text bellow on another thread that is almost similar to that one (Game too easy)

"Anyway, I have tried just for the fun of it to fight tons of guards with just bear handed with not weapon at all, and I can still beat 20 to 50 guards in a row in Havana without getting my butt kicked just with Edward bear hands (and I am not better than anyone of you, on that forum) - That should not happen! that any one could almost beat the game without using any weapon and as far as I could recall only AC3 and 4 allows you to do that...."

So, more and less, anyone can beat the game almost without the use of weapons - In AC3 after you know how the Lev3/Jagers work you can kick their butts bear hands as well...

really? Lol ALL AC games (cant speak for #1, as i have only played #2 and up) youve been able to counter ftw. Hell in ACB and ACR i never even attacked besides to counter, and they didnt have the enemies that would block your counter kill, so it was even easier! im not saying the games arent easy, just saying that you should criticize them all for doing it, not just 3 and 4

HiddenKiller612
11-19-2013, 05:21 AM
Really could of used a silent long distance weapon like a crossbow. Something that has a little longer range than the blow pipe. Hell, they could make it like a tool... being able to use a crossbow to shoot a rope for climbing, as well as taking out guards at a distance... It'd be a two for one type deal.

Zellzin
11-19-2013, 05:54 AM
I'm fine with the amount of weapon variety, I don't need a bunch of tools or anything. What I want is more customization for each type of weapon. There really isn't that many guns or swords to choose from. And how about some equip-able heavy weapons or single swords?

Xemnas07
11-19-2013, 06:01 AM
I'm fine with the amount of weapon variety, I don't need a bunch of tools or anything. What I want is more customization for each type of weapon. There really isn't that many guns or swords to choose from. And how about some equip-able heavy weapons or single swords?

what do you mean there is enough variety? not trying to be a ****, but all we have is swords and guns. thats not what i would consider varied

AdamPearce
11-19-2013, 06:05 AM
We should have a large variety of weapons, but only a few to carry on with us.

Xemnas07
11-19-2013, 06:07 AM
We should have a large variety of weapons, but only a few to carry on with us.

I would be fine with this. For instance if they only added one more slot to carry a weapon, such as a dagger or small axe, then have a few other types that you can buy/craft but are sitting on your ship or at your hideout, thatd be perfectly ok with me.

pirate1802
11-19-2013, 07:59 AM
what do you mean there is enough variety? not trying to be a ****, but all we have is swords and guns. thats not what i would consider varied

A sword is different than a gun, is in not? Compared to say a dagger, tomahawk etc, which basically serve the same purpose and handle in the exact same way.

Xemnas07
11-19-2013, 08:14 AM
A sword is different than a gun, is in not? Compared to say a dagger, tomahawk etc, which basically serve the same purpose and handle in the exact same way.

well of course those two are different, but thats only TWO different options. as for the dagger and tomahawk, they may be the same in that they are small, but you sre shouldnt use them the same way. the only reason they habdled the same way in AC3 is cuz the devs got lazy and copy/pasted the animations and made them the same, which was ridiculous cuz some of the kill animations for the tomahawk DO NOT WORK for the dagger. Now, if you include a tomahawk and dagger, or axe and dagger, and giv ethem different stats and animations, thats TWO NEW choices, which gives us 4 melee weapon choices 5 if you count the hidden blades., which is a LOT better than what we have.

Kagurra
11-19-2013, 08:21 AM
well of course those two are different, but thats only TWO different options. as for the dagger and tomahawk, they may be the same in that they are small, but you sre shouldnt use them the same way. the only reason they habdled the same way in AC3 is cuz the devs got lazy and copy/pasted the animations and made them the same, which was ridiculous cuz some of the kill animations for the tomahawk DO NOT WORK for the dagger. Now, if you include a tomahawk and dagger, or axe and dagger, and giv ethem different stats and animations, thats TWO NEW choices, which gives us 4 melee weapon choices 5 if you count the hidden blades., which is a LOT better than what we have.

AC4; Swords, Single Sword, Pistols, Musket, Rope Darts, Throwing Knife, Fists, Heavy weapons, Hidden Blades, Smoke Bombs. All able to be used in combat. It's not that bad.

BurstLight
11-20-2013, 01:49 AM
I just use fist in all AC games takes most skill and is the easiest way to kill a Janisarie: Counter Steal + punch