PDA

View Full Version : Unsigned bands DLC

jollyroger1
11-17-2013, 09:44 PM
Hi, bit of an open question for any Ubisoft devs who may be looking through the forums!

I notice that you guys make a conscious effort to put music onto your games by bands who aren't 'household' names, and thanks to you I have discovered a lot of new and interesting music as a result!

Would it be possible for you guys to consider putting music on your game from unsigned bands? I am aware that most people want to play music from their favourite bands, but hear me out on this one.

You could offer an 'unsigned bands' DLC in a future realease, and as there would be no record labels involved you could sell it at a reduced rate to make it more enticing to potential buyers.

That way you can make enough money back to cover costs, give the bands a bit of money back and also open up their music to a new potential fanbase! It's a win win as far as I can see!

Who would I need to contact to raise this with?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me

Greenbrick2
11-17-2013, 10:42 PM
This seems like it would be tough. Putting them on disc means everyone has to have them. Making DLC means potentially low sales. If they found a way to bundle it with more popular stuff, then sure.

Marauder359
11-18-2013, 03:11 AM
How would they find them? I'd prefer the Rocksmith team spend their limited time working on the game, not out searching for unfound talent... wouldn't you? And while some people would buy them, Greenbrick2's observation is essentially correct, as DLC they are subject to market forces and actively choosing to purchase this extra material when presented next to popular artists? I'd be fine with it, I just think it's a hard sell... and I think they'd have to be lesser known, but still signed, as there's no means otherwise for Ubisoft to know they exist, right?

C.Linton
11-18-2013, 03:37 AM
Basically, I would think there would be no money in it.

bubka122
11-18-2013, 07:09 AM
This would be awesome! Though not credible due to the small team and the work and time it would take, too bad

toymachinesh
11-18-2013, 08:15 AM
This only works with a RBN (Rock Band Network) type solution which isn't in the cards as of yet.

Jake_SeattleX19
11-18-2013, 10:05 AM
How I would do it: Have a suggestion web app, take the most common suggestions, then put top entry list into a poll. Then do a kickstarter to cover licensing and distribution costs of the winning entry per month. If it doesn't fund, it doesn't happen.

toymachinesh
11-18-2013, 10:08 AM
a kickstarter for music licensing/development you say...

http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228462

Didn't really turn out

jollyroger1
11-22-2013, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the replies! I get that it would be tough, I was just thinking of a way to raise awareness of upcoming acts via the game. With regeards to finding the music, any unsigned band worth their salt these days is signed up to reverbnation or soundcloud where people can hear your music for free, so no effort or cost involved for the devs. Rather than getting the devs to go hunting for it I was thinking that an invitation could be sent out for bands to submit their music if they were interested. Assuming it happened the only other obstacle would be to get enough people to buy it, though like I said people would be more inclined to go for it if it was sold at a reduced rate compared to the signed bands. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts

JaekRock
11-22-2013, 04:15 AM
This only works with a RBN (Rock Band Network) type solution which isn't in the cards as of yet.

Agreed.

Speaking from experience, I self-authored and was out on the RBN in the first week of its launch for my old band. Through some fun little online challenges and promo at shows, we sold over 1000 downloads in 9 different countries in the first year! To MTV Games, it wasn't a blip on the radar, but to a bar band in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, that was a big win. Personally, I would have been ok if nobody bought it and I could just say 'I can play my own song in a video game'. The level of tools, content control, and quality check just is not there to support this for Rocksmith right now, and may never be. It's a fun thought though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NarEBmsLz4M

dav_tho2000
11-22-2013, 10:19 AM
id love a 'preview' of the tracks before i buy, it never worked in rs1 despite the option.
a quick preview of a fun riff would make me buy, signed or not.
a good idea, but unlikely to come to pass.

daddy_felix
11-22-2013, 10:29 AM
id love a 'preview' of the tracks before i buy, it never worked in rs1 despite the option.
a quick preview of a fun riff would make me buy, signed or not.
a good idea, but unlikely to come to pass.

that's called "youtube"

toymachinesh
11-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Agreed.

Speaking from experience, I self-authored and was out on the RBN in the first week of its launch for my old band. Through some fun little online challenges and promo at shows, we sold over 1000 downloads in 9 different countries in the first year! To MTV Games, it wasn't a blip on the radar, but to a bar band in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, that was a big win. Personally, I would have been ok if nobody bought it and I could just say 'I can play my own song in a video game'. The level of tools, content control, and quality check just is not there to support this for Rocksmith right now, and may never be. It's a fun thought though.

I'm still waiting for a preview video of my RBN song from ChartToppers :(

maxster59
11-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Great idea, But any music needs to be thinned out so the best is available.

I guess its a competition the top 5 get on DLC some music site magazine would filter down the entrys and Rocksmith can keep converting the mainstream DLC we want.

Rocksmith have done well introducing new bands

PANICATTACK10
11-22-2013, 11:37 PM
sounds like an awesome idea. i have about 20 songs written. but no way to get them out there. sadly i am without a band but looking for ways to get my songs out there. however RB3 IMO was a huge letdown. you really couldnt take their controller style guitar seriously. but i do hope your idea catches on.

JaekRock
11-25-2013, 03:55 AM
I'm still waiting for a preview video of my RBN song from ChartToppers :(

Bummer. I had a authoring service for a stint and did tracks for several other bands as well, but it takes a TON of time to do it right. The end result was worth it though.

ThatBatm4n
10-12-2018, 04:13 AM
The resources for data transmission would allow this nowadays. If consoles and PCs can put 100 players online in a game like PUBG, a new version of RS (with the songs already purchased in backward compatibility, please!) Could very well convert songs bought by players from a "new" service in demand. Instead of waiting a week for a DLC, we could get into the service (sort of a Spotipy from Ubisoft) and download whatever music we want at any time. Downloading and converting the song to the RS format would then be done. In a few minutes we would be playing our favorite songs (and paying for it, of course).