PDA

View Full Version : A couple of things I would change if I could...

MnemonicSyntax
11-17-2013, 09:04 PM
So we've seen hood threads, and outfit threads and outfits without hoods threads, I started this thread based on gameplay mechanics, a couple of things that I noticed on my 360 play through that are a bit... odd.

I'll list mine and post my thoughts on each one, you guys can feel free to add to it. And while I don't mind posts about hoods and weapons and whatnot, most of that is cosmetic at best, while this is more of the mechanics side.

Here we go:

Right side shoulder leaning - When I lean against a foundation on the right side and try to target someone with my blowgun or pistol, the reticule goes into the wall, but when I do it on the left side, this does not happen. The left side shoulder lean allows me to aim, target and shoot at someone from around the corner. Anyone else experience this? (This is probably my most major complaint)

Free aim for other weapons/tools - If we have a free aim for pistols and the blowgun, why don't have one for smoke bombs and the throwing knife?

Stealth boarding - So I decided to try to sneak aboard a ship and kill everyone without attacking it full on. It worked, but this one is two-fold: 1) I couldn't control the ship and while that can sorta slide as it take a crew to control a ship, it leads me to my next point. 2) Why would I need to shoot at a ship that I just overtook single-handedly in order to board it. The ship is dead In the water, but perfectly intact. So instead of boarding it, and taking the ship as a perfectly intact ship, I have to shoot at it first to get the cargo/supplies from it because it won't let me board it otherwise.

Fisticuffs - As a pirate, I think it would be fairly reasonable to have Edward sorta "cheat" his way through combat by throwing dirt in the enemies eyes, much like Ezio did. While not a deal breaker, punching your palm is kinda lame while in the midst of combat.

Crouch button - We've seen this before on the forums, but I wanted to add to it's idea. Some people say crouch isn't necessary, others want it, I'm on the fence. It would be handy if it did something, and I think I've figured out what it "can" do. as a personal suggestion. This is just my idea, you guys might have something different. You know when you blend with a crowd and then walk away from it? There's several seconds that you're still considered "blended" in that you can walk away to make it to another crowd. However, this doesn't work with stalking zones. If there was a crouch button, have it so it works from walking from one crouch zone to another, but not indefinitely. If not a crouch button, allow the animation to continue for a few seconds outside of a stalking zone, and still be "blended" but once that time is up, resume to standing again, even if they don't make it to a stalk zone.

Dynamic blending - Like the gameplay demo, I want a bit of interaction. Guys on the bench will talk to Edward, but he won't talk back. I found that standing with drunk pirates also allows Edward to be drunk. Not all blending needs to be dynamic, for example, Edward wouldn't help a guy fix a house, but he could talk to the guy.

Knowing where everything is on the map - Isn't that what viewpoints are for?

I'm sure there are some more, but these are the ones that come to mind right now. I'd love to here your thoughts and please, try to just discuss ideas without putting anyone, even Ubisoft, down? Thanks.

I'm sure as I keep playing, more things will come to mind.

GhostSoldier76
11-17-2013, 09:26 PM
So we've seen hood threads, and outfit threads and outfits without hoods threads, I started this thread based on gameplay mechanics, a couple of things that I noticed on my 360 play through that are a bit... odd.

I'll list mine and post my thoughts on each one, you guys can feel free to add to it. And while I don't mind posts about hoods and weapons and whatnot, most of that is cosmetic at best, while this is more of the mechanics side.

Here we go:

Right side shoulder leaning - When I lean against a foundation on the right side and try to target someone with my blowgun or pistol, the reticule goes into the wall, but when I do it on the left side, this does not happen. The left side shoulder lean allows me to aim, target and shoot at someone from around the corner. Anyone else experience this? (This is probably my most major complaint)

Free aim for other weapons/tools - If we have a free aim for pistols and the blowgun, why don't have one for smoke bombs and the throwing knife?

Stealth boarding - So I decided to try to sneak aboard a ship and kill everyone without attacking it full on. It worked, but this one is two-fold: 1) I couldn't control the ship and while that can sorta slide as it take a crew to control a ship, it leads me to my next point. 2) Why would I need to shoot at a ship that I just overtook single-handedly in order to board it. The ship is dead In the water, but perfectly intact. So instead of boarding it, and taking the ship as a perfectly intact ship, I have to shoot at it first to get the cargo/supplies from it because it won't let me board it otherwise.

Fisticuffs - As a pirate, I think it would be fairly reasonable to have Edward sorta "cheat" his way through combat by throwing dirt in the enemies eyes, much like Ezio did. While not a deal breaker, punching your palm is kinda lame while in the midst of combat.

Crouch button - We've seen this before on the forums, but I wanted to add to it's idea. Some people say crouch isn't necessary, others want it, I'm on the fence. It would be handy if it did something, and I think I've figured out what it "can" do. as a personal suggestion. This is just my idea, you guys might have something different. You know when you blend with a crowd and then walk away from it? There's several seconds that you're still considered "blended" in that you can walk away to make it to another crowd. However, this doesn't work with stalking zones. If there was a crouch button, have it so it works from walking from one crouch zone to another, but not indefinitely. If not a crouch button, allow the animation to continue for a few seconds outside of a stalking zone, and still be "blended" but once that time is up, resume to standing again, even if they don't make it to a stalk zone.

Dynamic blending - Like the gameplay demo, I want a bit of interaction. Guys on the bench will talk to Edward, but he won't talk back. I found that standing with drunk pirates also allows Edward to be drunk. Not all blending needs to be dynamic, for example, Edward wouldn't help a guy fix a house, but he could talk to the guy.

Knowing where everything is on the map - Isn't that what viewpoints are for?

I'm sure there are some more, but these are the ones that come to mind right now. I'd love to here your thoughts and please, try to just discuss ideas without putting anyone, even Ubisoft, down? Thanks.

I'm sure as I keep playing, more things will come to mind.

I agree with your crouching idea. I think that there was going to be a crouching feature but they took it out of the game for some reason. :confused:

xx-pyro
11-17-2013, 10:16 PM
Most of your ideas are reasonable, although I'm still staunchly against crouching. Crouching while moving from crowd to crowd makes you more visible and easy to detect, because you look like a tool, rather than less easy to detect. People would be like, "ugh what the **** are you doing mate?", like they do when you climb up buildings near them.

Between stalking zones would be the only place I could see it working out, and to me that's not worth an entire button on the controller, since getting from one stalking zone to the next is half of the stealth game in a lot of tailing missions.

MnemonicSyntax
11-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Most of your ideas are reasonable, although I'm still staunchly against crouching. Crouching while moving from crowd to crowd makes you more visible and easy to detect, because you look like a tool, rather than less easy to detect. People would be like, "ugh what the **** are you doing mate?", like they do when you climb up buildings near them.

Between stalking zones would be the only place I could see it working out, and to me that's not worth an entire button on the controller, since getting from one stalking zone to the next is half of the stealth game in a lot of tailing missions.

Yeah, like I said I'm on the fence about it. Have the animation effect go from one stalking zone to another, but not while blending. Good clarification there, thanks.

xx-pyro
11-17-2013, 10:26 PM
Yeah, like I said I'm on the fence about it. Have the animation effect go from one stalking zone to another, but not while blending. Good clarification there, thanks.

Yeah I could see something like that working. If they keep a crouched animation for like two seconds while you're moving between stalking zones but if you don't get to another one you stand up normally. I don't think you should be blended during the animation though simply because you technically are out in the open.

MnemonicSyntax
11-17-2013, 10:31 PM
I tried leaving blending from stationary crowds yesterday, and he stayed blended for what felt like quite some time after leaving each one. Some of the stalk zones, like sugar cane fields, have a tiny break in between them that I could see working as remaining blended as long as you didn't stop. It really is kind of annoying though to go from one stalk zone to another in such close proximity and stand up completely while doing so.

GhostSoldier76
11-17-2013, 11:12 PM
Apparently they were supposed to add in the crouching animation when you go from on stalking zone to another but for some reason they took it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzdarWf6orA

here is the video where you see Edward crouching (around 1:49)

RoBg03
11-17-2013, 11:38 PM
crouching behind rocks or boxes, etc would be nice, maybe make it like the looking around the corner mechanic...also gets kinda annoying sometimes when edward can walk across a canvas tent, or clime a house with wood siding, but a jagged rocky hill is too much.....meanwhile conner was scaling sheer cliffs with no hand holds to be seen. I guess you could chalk that up to it being conners natural element while edward is used to climing rigging. all together i think the game was well put together

Landruner
11-17-2013, 11:42 PM
1/Right side shoulder leaning: Yes it needs to be resived and tiny bit improved

2/ Free Aim for other weapons/ tools: Yes it should have been there and it makes sense and more precise for the gameplay.
However; with the same configuration it could have been nice to be able to toss 2 or 3 knifes at the same time.
It would have been nice to see the caltrop grenade from ACR coming back since they were part of the nomenclature from the real pirates arsenal.

Even nicer would have been: More weapons and tools and leave them optional for players that prefer use those.

3/ Stealth boarding: Yes and it should have been there either as optional or reserved for some ships for a gameplay offering different variant for boarding ships including stealth.

Also: It would have been nice to have to snake inside some big ships after boarding in order to get a different gameplay and scenarios.(Kill the captain, capture a passenger, sabotage the ship, or release some slave or prisoners, etc....)

4/ Fisticuffs: Yes it makes sense with Edeard's personnality - Even the taught will have been sensfull with Edward (Only if it would been influencing the AI in reacting to the prvocation or mockery)

5/Crouch Button: Here we are again, Yes and the all general consensus from a lot of fans and players is that it was a mistake that they put an automatic crouch is the spot reserved to that function.

6/ Dynamic blending: Yes and it goes with my point of crouching above for one part (It was making the character more natural while bending and crouching) - Darby said that this animation had been removed because the "betatesters" did not understood that you could be still seen by the guards while blending with the environment.
Second part: The natural and dynamic bleending of Eward in that demo (Taking a sit and talking naturally with people around) had been misunderstood since a lot of people thought that this animastion and features will apppear in the PC and next gens version - They don't and it is sad because it was a nice piece of immersion for the gameplay.

Also what I would have liked to see in game is:

The forts scenarios: Make a bit more variety in taking over scenarios for some fort - Also Make some variants for taking over the fort or still leave the player the option to either attacking the fort by the ship or just infiltrating the Fort - Also it would have been nice to see that once in a while that fort can be attacked - player can defend it or if fort is lost just restarting taking over the fort either by attacking it with the ship or infiltrating the fort.

AI Radiant or AI event (Random Events & dynamic encounters): Make some little NPCs events like it was made in the legendary Red dead Redemption. It would have added a bit more dynamic in the immersion notably during the free-roaming sessions

Last point: Deeper scenario and mission structure for the side missions & assassination missions: I left some details on some other thread of what could be done.

JamJar502
11-18-2013, 12:25 AM
While I can't think of any gameplay changes I'd make, there are some inconsistencies with the UI that annoy me, such as:

1. This may only apply the the UK/EU version of the game, but on the Jackdaw Upgrades screen it uses the English spelling of "armour", then directly below it, it uses the American spelling "armor".

2. The game can't decide whether it's going for the all-lowercase UI style or not, as there are some entries in the menus that are all lowercase, but then there are some where it capitalises every word.

2.5. On the world map, enemy ships/people are shown as "enemy", but animals are shown as "ANIMAL".

3. The "Puppeteer" HUD thing (the one with the controls) looks really strange, almost like it's diagonal, but it's wonky at the same time. (I know I can turn it off, and I have done, it just looks weird.)

4. Once you've finished boarding a ship, when it gets to the "What should we do with this ship?" screen, the text in the top right corner is a slight yellow-y colour, which makes it quite difficult to read, especially when the weather in-game is sunny.

So it's just little UI stuff that annoys me. Doesn't really detract from the game, but annoying nonetheless.

acbrother17
11-18-2013, 02:17 AM
I agree you with the fisticuffs, him being a pirate you would expect him to fight dirty. Its a shame they didnt add more move set to the unarmed combat.

I can't really say anything bout the stealth boarding, since i haven't gotten the game yet, but i agree with you that its weird you can't get the cargo all stealthy without firing upon them first.

With the crouch button, firstly i'll say i honestly don't see the need for a crouch button, now before anyone starts scolding me out and calling me a brainless fool, because this game is mostly social stealth when in the City. I will agree it can be useful in like uninhabited areas or restricted areas, but what i have seen in the game there are numerous stalking zones and with your idea i think is the best option for crouching in this game. But if they do a setting were they are limited or no stalking zones, then a crouching button should be added.

The dynamic blending looked cool and should be added, but i think the best spots to implement dynamic blending in this game were we can interaction with the NPC/AI during blending, would be in Nassau and any other locations that Edward is known well by the public or are occupied mostly by pirates and prostitutes (are they called prostitutes in this game). I feel it would be weird to blend in a random group like in Havana and interact with them, unless its like drunken pirates or the prostitutes.

MnemonicSyntax
11-18-2013, 06:25 AM
Another thing I found frustrating and I would say would be my "number 2" is the moving camera when you walk/fast walk. That is so annoying and makes me feel nauseated at times.

Also, in regards to game dynamics, we see other pirates board other ships, but why can't they do that in the forts? Or, in a particular mission, a particular pirate goes with you and ends up on another ship, but only via a cutscene, yet he's doing battle the whole time. You never see him go over there, like your crew does. I get why Adewale doesn't leave the ship, as with a small skeleton crew staying behind, but, why can't some of the crew go with you to attack a fort? Why is your crew already there? (This one is nitpicky, but something I thought about while playing earlier)

Keep 'em comin' fellas. Your input helps Ubi grow, believe it or not.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
11-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Haven't played it so can't say BUT I do wish dynamic blending was more fleshed out.

Group of pirates? Join in the drunken merriment!

Prostitutes? Start chatting them up as if you're interested (I found it funny that Ezio would just stand in the middle of them doing nothing... like THAT doesn't look odd)

Benches? Nod as the people occasionally talk to you...

Someone painting the side of the building? Lean against the wall near him and talk

Someone playing an instrument? Stand in the crowd and clap for them

etc.etc. Basically...It'd be cool if the player character mimicked whatever the crowd was doing. Have you ever noticed how if you're blending but something happens to scatter the crowd and they start running (maybe after seeing a body), you'll be exposed and seen by guards if you're running... this never made sense. You should still be blended with them for a short while while running as if you were with them. Another thing that previous AC games did that always seemed odd was if you were being chased by guards...aside from hay, benches, etc... you couldn't really blend into the crowd again. They'd like, back up and not count as a blendable area which I always thought was silly since there are many movies and things where someone's being chased, round a corner and slip into a crowd of people and the chasers can't find them and don't know where they went. What I mean is, I think it'd be cool if even if there's not a large crowd, just having people between you and either a pursuer or guard will make it take longer for them to see you.

MnemonicSyntax
11-22-2013, 11:13 PM
The drunken merriment is there and it's pretty funny. Edward goes from sober Assassin to drunk pirate in a split second.

Other things I've thought about the past few days playing:

I know that reloading 4 guns would be a lot of time, but there's one animation for 4 guns. Connor at least had a double animation. I kinda wish that was there.

Malevolence97
11-24-2013, 08:00 PM
The fistcuffs idea is a great idea. Wouldve matched perfectly lol XD

MnemonicSyntax
11-24-2013, 08:02 PM
I know! Edward kicks a guy in the nuts in a counter! How dirty can you get! XD

Malevolence97
11-24-2013, 08:06 PM
Hahaha XD

EnzuigiriUK
11-24-2013, 10:22 PM
My only real frustration with the game (apart from the fact that it ever has to end) is the collision detection in combat, particularly when boarding a ship. It is far too easy to be switched off the opponent you are engaged with and what should be a 5 man kill streak ends up in 5 one hit attacks against 5 enemies because the AI can't decide who is in the hot seat. It wasn't like that in AC3 so a bit annoying.