PDA

View Full Version : Who else cried for Desmond? [spoilers]

RinoTheBouncer
11-17-2013, 07:56 PM
As the title says...

I did, obviously. I still do... I couldnít care less if itís considered crazy or stupid. I just miss a character that made the game much better, a character that I thought to be lame with the first entry yet came to love as we progressed through the next installments. A character whom I donít mind paying Ubisoft as much as they want to bring him back.

So... do you miss him? do you think the games were better with him? do you wish to see him someday, again, one way or another?
I hope this doesnít turn into another fan wars thread nor a place to ridicule the subject. This is obviously for Desmond and 3rd Person Modern Day fans.

Mr_Shade
11-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Added Spoilers to title...

:rolleyes:

DetroitPlaya
11-17-2013, 08:00 PM
No, good riddance.

MnemonicSyntax
11-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Added Spoilers to title...

:rolleyes:

I'd say the whole thing is a spoiler, for anyone that might think he actually survived or had that fleeting hope.

pacmanate
11-17-2013, 08:45 PM
I didn't cry but it made punch my hall mate in the face in anger and sadness.

Sturnz0r
11-17-2013, 09:36 PM
obviously, they can make a modern protagonist that the majority of gamers would absolutely clamor for. Smart fans would see through that, though. Sometimes the writers are quoted as saying they are going for a real "human" story. Meaning, the characters are going to have faults that people can relate to. Also, there is a better chance to create a greater product, overall.

They didn't put much into Desmond's character through ACR, as there wasn't much play time, relatively. He got a lot better as the story progressed and he gained abilities. Glad he got some recordings in this installment, and I liked Desmond overall

AstusOz
11-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Nah. I was pissed with how they handled him in AC3 though. Wanted to play a proper game with Desmond kicking *** and taking names.

souNdwAve89
11-17-2013, 09:56 PM
I was really pissed off at what happened at the end of AC3. It was very anti-climatic after all he went through since the beginning. I was a fan of Desmond and the modern day story. It had potential to be really good, but it felt like Ubisoft either didn't know where to go with the story or they caved into the negatives from all the people that didn't like it. I mean, this is the same studio that brought us the Splinter Cell series and the upcoming Watch_Dogs.

roostersrule2
11-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Who else is a *****?

pacmanate
11-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Who else is a *****?

not mi

adventurewomen
11-17-2013, 11:16 PM
No I didn't cry for Desmond, his arrogance killed him in the end..

pacmanate
11-17-2013, 11:41 PM

wat

AdamPearce
11-18-2013, 12:01 AM

Speak sense women, or not at all!

Kagurra
11-18-2013, 12:04 AM
Not me. Desmond was a loser.

Who attacks a templar facility that basically secretly rules the world with a combat knife? And why did the stupid templars not shoot him but instead try to fight him with beat sticks? "AC3 has modern day missions, 10/10 IGN"

Also, that mission is why we can't have modern day AC. Did anybody actually use the gun he picks up later in the mission? It's the most OP thing I've ever seen.

TheDanteEX
11-18-2013, 02:53 AM
AC3's modern missions are the reason I feel AC4's modern story works better. No action, only mystery. And yes, the plot is still progressing as well. The only difference is the plot is time, since we are living out the modern day story, they can expand on it through different media sources. Assassin's Creed is interesting in that it can build its world without needing to create one.

Anyways, I did almost cry for Desmond; just not in AC3. In AC4, one of the memos* really made me feel sad. It wasn't because we spent such a long time with Desmond, or because his death was undeserved, it's because he actually showed emotion and I believed he was a person for once.

*The memo where he talks about training with his father. Really hit me.

xx-pyro
11-18-2013, 03:06 AM
Desmond was a better character in 4 than all the previous games combined, being dead suits him.

SpiritMuse
11-18-2013, 03:51 AM
Guys, we get it already, you didn't like Desmond. No need to keep repeating yourselves, really.

Can you now please leave this thread to those who did like him? Thank you.

Landruner
11-18-2013, 05:19 AM
I was really pissed off at what happened at the end of AC3. It was very anti-climatic after all he went through since the beginning. I was a fan of Desmond and the modern day story. It had potential to be really good, but it felt like Ubisoft either didn't know where to go with the story or they caved into the negatives from all the people that didn't like it. I mean, this is the same studio that brought us the Splinter Cell series and the upcoming Watch_Dogs.

Good point I could not say better than what you wrote above...

That video bellow is a bit the feeling of kind I felt after finishing the game regarding the lack of quality of the ending + that bad taste in the mouth caused by the fact of how things can end when you to rush something out of the door and come with a cheap conclusion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nzd0R_OeOc&feature=player_embedded

roostersrule2
11-18-2013, 06:39 AM
No I didn't cry for Desmond, his arrogance killed him in the end..Arrogance? Do you know what arrogance is? First it was Ezio, now Desmond, who's next? Petruccio?

DetroitPlaya
11-18-2013, 08:04 AM
Desmond was a better character in 4 than all the previous games combined, being dead suits him.

Yup. He was annoying, and I hated doing the missions with him.

This new style where modern day is very brief, but you can do more of it for research; love it

xx-pyro
11-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Yup. He was annoying, and I hated doing the missions with him.

This new style where modern day is very brief, but you can do more of it for research; love it

So do I, it couldn't really be better in my opinion. Maybe flow a bit more story through the modern day portions and it would be a bit better, but the amount of lore you get from hacking computers and wandering around Abstergo really sets it apart from any previous modern day portion in an AC game, and makes it a lot better. It's there if you want it, but it's also not required for those who don't. Besides that, you avoid tacky instances like Desmond infiltrating Abstergo with a knife.

EDIT: The funniest part about adventurewomen's post is that Connor was the most arrogant of all the Assassins, barring perhaps Edward.

roostersrule2
11-18-2013, 10:34 AM
So do I, it couldn't really be better in my opinion. Maybe flow a bit more story through the modern day portions and it would be a bit better, but the amount of lore you get from hacking computers and wandering around Abstergo really sets it apart from any previous modern day portion in an AC game, and makes it a lot better. It's there if you want it, but it's also not required for those who don't. Besides that, you avoid tacky instances like Desmond infiltrating Abstergo with a knife.

EDIT: The funniest part about adventurewomen's post is that Connor was the most arrogant of all the Assassins, barring perhaps Edward.Indeed, although I would prefer it if the Modern Day was full of awesome set pieces, AC4's modern day was pretty cool.

As for Connor's arrogance well..

http://media.tumblr.com/f37aa0e58e8419240ae821683663fd5d/tumblr_inline_mpx3a5IEuA1qz4rgp.gif

The_Heisenberg
11-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Meh, I was annoyed with how they handled the ending. The memo's in AC4 were good though.

roostersrule2
11-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Meh, I was annoyed with how they handled the ending. The memo's in AC4 were good though.Say my name.

The_Heisenberg
11-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Say my name.

This guy, every god dam time... You should check out faking bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6eGFkU7XnY

MnemonicSyntax
11-18-2013, 04:00 PM

EDIT: The funniest part about adventurewomen's post is that Connor was the most arrogant of all the Assassins, barring perhaps Edward.

Hardly. Anytime anyone ever thanked him for his help, he would always say "the people did it, not me" or something along the same lines.

Connor was pissy, and rightfully so, but hardly arrogant.

roostersrule2
11-18-2013, 04:01 PM
This guy, every god dam time... You should check out faking bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6eGFkU7XnYI'm sorry I can't help it haha.

Hahha that is brilliant.

The_Heisenberg
11-18-2013, 04:40 PM
I'm sorry I can't help it haha.

Hahha that is brilliant.

haha, it's alright.

Yeah it's good, the other are awesome as well. "You're a *****...stop it..I'm the cook!"

Kaschra
11-18-2013, 07:07 PM
First of all, I like Desmond, and I was sad to see him go. They wasted a lot of potential with him.
Desmond's end was rushed and unemotional, so instead of crying I was simply frustrated.
I seriously think he was handled better in AC4. His voice recordings really got me... especially number 3 and the last one.

I'm not sure if you even know who Desmond is or if you know what arrogance actually means...

Kulgrim
11-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Didn't cry, but I was pretty ticked off with the ending, not ME3 ticked, but pretty close. Here we had spent 5 games, counting 3, building Desmond up through the bleeding effect, only to have Ubi kill him off at the end, it made no sense unless Ubi felt they had written themselves into a hole. Why invest that much story to someone only to kill them with the dumbest choice I have seen presented to a game character barring ME3 and the starchild. Save the planet now by releasing me and killing yourself, or let the world have a reset button where you lead them to a possibly brighter future, however almost everyone will be dead. Desmond was damned if he did, and damned if he didn't, and now we are left to pick up the pieces minus someone who was the distilled essence of the greatest assassins the world had ever seen, Altair, Ezio and Connor. He had the skills and knowledge of two grand masters of the order and the combat skills of what was up to that point the most lethal assassin to date with Connor.

Landruner
11-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Arrogance? Do you know what arrogance is? First it was Ezio, now Desmond, who's next? Petruccio?

I think her quote @adventurewomen http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/LightUbiTheme/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php?p=9381670#post9381670) "No I didn't cry for Desmond, his arrogance killed him in the end.." is perhaps just a metaphoric perception and a philosophic felling from a lady point of view?...interesting and It makes me wonder...?

Kaschra
11-18-2013, 08:22 PM
I think her quote @adventurewomen http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/LightUbiTheme/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php?p=9381670#post9381670) "No I didn't cry for Desmond, his arrogance killed him in the end.." is perhaps just a metaphoric perception and a philosophic felling from a lady point of view?...interesting and It makes me wonder...?
Lady point of view???

Landruner
11-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Lady point of view???

Well, never mind, I saw in what she wrote some metaphoric poetry there...:p

roostersrule2
11-19-2013, 12:08 AM
I think her quote @adventurewomen http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/LightUbiTheme/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php?p=9381670#post9381670) "No I didn't cry for Desmond, his arrogance killed him in the end.." is perhaps just a metaphoric perception and a philosophic felling from a lady point of view?...interesting and It makes me wonder...?The is deeper then life its self.

Landruner
11-19-2013, 12:47 AM
The is deeper then life its self.

Ah!!!!...I see now a poet in you, you will always surprise me, my friend :cool:

MrHandsss
11-19-2013, 05:56 AM
I didn't cry for him, but it does suck to watch a character built up throughout the entire franchise just be used as a sacrifice and die and now we have to be stuck playing as "YOU". I HATE that game copout. I want to be playing a character with a name and a story, not pretend I'm doing everything. But I guess it was to be expected they took the modern day in such a lame direction. Almost everyone hates it AND Desmond so people like me who enjoyed both aren't a concern.

Honestly, I would like "YOU" to become a named character with his own story or something AND a voice and just have them join the assassins next game. Maybe somehow sabotage the Desmond cloud storage and then fuse with the only remaining copy of information or something. I don't just want to be a nameless and unimportant individual that only serves as an avatar for me to see when I'm not in the flashbacks.

pacmanate
11-19-2013, 12:11 PM

The **** D:

roostersrule2
11-19-2013, 12:18 PM
The **** D:Wait!!

How did he do that?

pacmanate
11-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Wait!!

How did he do that?

Do what?

roostersrule2
11-19-2013, 12:23 PM
Do what?The @adventurewomen thing with the arrow, it takes you straight to her post.

pacmanate
11-19-2013, 12:43 PM
The @adventurewomen thing with the arrow, it takes you straight to her post.

I don't know, I'm not smart

projectpat06
11-19-2013, 04:39 PM
The fact that we learned about this sage right after desmond dies and the fact that the assassins are after the knowledge as well both points at a theory that Desmond could be a sage as well?? I think we'll see him again

Landruner
11-19-2013, 06:38 PM
The @adventurewomen thing with the arrow, it takes you straight to her post.

Originally Posted by roostersrule2 http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/LightUbiTheme/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php?p=9384934#post9384934) Wait!!

How did he do that?

You are a poet, so I am a magician!...
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMTU2EF_McxFoDosEF2rNygDiJ4uB7M PaM4xoUauQvyZUPYX-W

Answer:
You just have to copy and past directly from a post with the "originally Posted by", and it does that
It is Desmond that told me how to do it...

Landruner
11-19-2013, 06:45 PM
I didn't cry for him, but it does suck to watch a character built up throughout the entire franchise just be used as a sacrifice and die and now we have to be stuck playing as "YOU". I HATE that game copout. I want to be playing a character with a name and a story, not pretend I'm doing everything. But I guess it was to be expected they took the modern day in such a lame direction. Almost everyone hates it AND Desmond so people like me who enjoyed both aren't a concern.

Honestly, I would like "YOU" to become a named character with his own story or something AND a voice and just have them join the assassins next game. Maybe somehow sabotage the Desmond cloud storage and then fuse with the only remaining copy of information or something. I don't just want to be a nameless and unimportant individual that only serves as an avatar for me to see when I'm not in the flashbacks.

I agree with you, I was not a fan of Desmond, but I did not like the way the all thing ended up - It is not even his ending that chocked me the most, it is actually the Ending,(If it can be called such).
Like I previously wrote, I played the game for itself, but not for its story because I think it is becoming pointless in its narrative and development and I feel like looking for a corner trapped in a round room just trying to understand where the story goes -
I honestly did not care about the all modern days at all , I did not care about the Templar's fights, I did not care for the Creed and the cause, because it does not make any sense to me, and did not care about any piece of the story, and I a afraid to even becoming more disappointed by the next narrative for the next game - I just enjoyed the game for its gameplay (Notably the Pirate's Parts). I am just disappointed that they turn what could have been a science fiction's master piece in the video game industry into a "song written for death people".

RinoTheBouncer
11-19-2013, 10:15 PM
I said it before and I’ll say it again: though I admit that I WISH I can turn back time and redo the ending of ACIII so that Desmond lives, but my main problem isn’t just the death of a cherished character. My problem is the timing of his death was wrong and the way they directed the ending was really cheap. There were so many other scenes in AC games that were damn touching. Remember Ezio in Embers? the short flashbacks of Altair in the end at AC:R? Ezio talking to Desmond in AC:R? Minerva talking to Ezio in ACII? Lucy’s death? Desmond killing Vidic and hugging his father in ACIII? they were all directed a billion times better and much more touching regardless of whether they were happy or sad moments.

I hope that at least if they don’t want him back, give us someone know who will be handled better. First person sucks and this minimal modern day story only works for AC1, not here, not when the most important event in AC universe took place in the ending of the game before it. I thought they will make up for the ugly directing of the ACIII ending (I found Desmond hugging his father at Abstergo far more touching) in ACIV but they pretended that they started “fresh” oh, yeah that lame term that game developers use when they wanna ruin a franchise, “start fresh”... yeah right.

Landruner
11-20-2013, 03:27 AM
I said it before and I’ll say it again: though I admit that I WISH I can turn back time and redo the ending of ACIII so that Desmond lives, but my main problem isn’t just the death of a cherished character. My problem is the timing of his death was wrong and the way they directed the ending was really cheap. There were so many other scenes in AC games that were damn touching. Remember Ezio in Embers? the short flashbacks of Altair in the end at AC:R? Ezio talking to Desmond in AC:R? Minerva talking to Ezio in ACII? Lucy’s death? Desmond killing Vidic and hugging his father in ACIII? they were all directed a billion times better and much more touching regardless of whether they were happy or sad moments.

I hope that at least if they don’t want him back, give us someone know who will be handled better. First person sucks and this minimal modern day story only works for AC1, not here, not when the most important event in AC universe took place in the ending of the game before it. I thought they will make up for the ugly directing of the ACIII ending (I found Desmond hugging his father at Abstergo far more touching) in ACIV but they pretended that they started “fresh” oh, yeah that lame term that game developers use when they wanna ruin a franchise, “start fresh”... yeah right.

I feel like you, for my part it is not the end of Desmond that saddened me the most, it is his ending; the way it was rushed out of the door without climax, and how and where the Arc story goes and I am not even sure they really know where it goes neither.
My point is that if they really want to make a sense to what can't be undone now, they need a holly damned rock & roll writer to put the pyramid back together and make a sense for the ones that cared about the all story arc and what the all cause of the Creed was about.

LoyalACFan
11-20-2013, 04:30 AM
I cried tears of joy when he died, does that count?

RinoTheBouncer
11-20-2013, 07:59 AM
I feel like you, for my part it is not the end of Desmond that saddened me the most, it is his ending; the way it was rushed out of the door without climax, and how and where the Arc story goes and I am not even sure they really know where it goes neither.
My point is that if they really want to make a sense to what can't be undone now, they need a holly damned rock & roll writer to put the pyramid back together and make a sense for the ones that cared about the all story arc and what the all cause of the Creed was about.

EXACTLY, my friend.

I’ve seen sad endings of films and other games. I’m not a big fan of sad endings but Metal Gear Solid handled character deaths much better than AC is doing. Mass Effect fixed things with a patch that basically gave everyone every possibility, death or survival and the different conclusions to the Reapers so they almost gave you all you can expect for an ending. It can be a happy or a sad closure but at least it was well directed in the end, so much emotions. With AC, Lucy’s death was so fast but the moment was shocking and unexpected, not Desmond? I wonder what’s next. AC franchise ends without a closure? just cuts in the middle of free roaming? LOL.

They once mentioned that they have planned an end to the franchise and they can fit as many games as they want within the arc given the public’s interest in it. I wonder what kinda closure that they’re planning for the franchise and if it’s another disappointment.

I don’t mean to be harsh but I guess these days whether in films or video games, every time the writer and director does not know what to do for an ending or how to properly write a story, they just end it abruptly and call it “artistic” or “open ended”.

Syler99
11-20-2013, 08:33 AM
Cried? I threw a freaking party! I hated him so brick to me it was one more brick pro down. It was only after I found some of his phone dairies that I was like there that was what Desmond was missing being a freaking human being! Then I felt a tad bad about the party.