PDA

View Full Version : Black Flag for PC already available at a retailer

Painshadow
11-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Got back a bit ago from shopping at a Walmart store and they have Black Flag for PC available for purchase!? I didn't buy it, but I took a picture. I have the Xbox 360 version and will be buying the PC version in a few days. Will anyone be trading in their 360, Wii U, PS3/PS4 version for the PC version? I know I probably will because I know Ubisoft and Nvidia really showed some love for us PC fans. Can't wait to play it. :o

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p293/JAD1176/Black_Flag_Walmart_zps0e700fe2.jpg (http://s131.photobucket.com/user/JAD1176/media/Black_Flag_Walmart_zps0e700fe2.jpg.html)

Mr_Shade
11-17-2013, 09:02 PM
It's possible that is just a display case, that does not look like the normal PC case.. though regional differences do happen :)

http://drh2.img.digitalriver.com/DRHM/Storefront/Company/ubi/images/product/detail/AC4BF_PC_PEGI.jpg

guardian_titan
11-18-2013, 04:38 AM
Yeah, the OP's picture is a typical American style cover for games, Mr. Shade, not the European cover. Assassin's Creed is rated M on this side of the pond. :p

Not surprising Wal-Mart would have it out early. They're notorious for it in some areas. If it were Gamestop, I'd say it was just a display case, but Wal-Mart doesn't tend to put out display cases for pre-order. If they put out anything, it's a single poster in the game aisle.

Don't own the game yet myself so can't comment on trading another version for the PC one.

Painshadow
11-18-2013, 04:25 PM
It's possible that is just a display case, that does not look like the normal PC case.. though regional differences do happen :)

http://drh2.img.digitalriver.com/DRHM/Storefront/Company/ubi/images/product/detail/AC4BF_PC_PEGI.jpg

Nope it was the actual game. They had a bunch of copies on the shelf ready to buy!

Mr_Shade
11-18-2013, 04:47 PM
oooh interesting!

oberonqa
11-18-2013, 09:31 PM
So... people who aren't playing the game on PC right now are the people that preordered through a digital retailer (Steam, UPlay, GMG, GG, etc). Anyone who happens to be lucky enough to visit a retailer that broke street date or downloaded the game via a site of ill repute is playing the game on PC... while us poor schmucks that preordered (and, sadly, paid in advance) through a digital retailer are shafted.

And companies wonder piracy is so prevalent...

TurbanSenpai
11-19-2013, 01:28 AM
Yup can can conferm. Saw people playing it on Campus on thier laptops. Got mixed responces between people pirating it and buying it. The people that had the legal copy bought a physical copy from a retailer.

Bahjabroni
11-19-2013, 03:14 AM
If you try buying it from Walmart, it wont let you anyway. The checkout computer gives a date error.

airborneguy
11-19-2013, 05:06 AM
If you try buying it from Walmart, it wont let you anyway. The checkout computer gives a date error.

LoL, Im gonna be downloading it tomorrow from Uplay/ cant wait. Did you try to buy it from Walmart?

Siliconhobbit
11-19-2013, 06:37 AM
So... while us poor schmucks that preordered (and, sadly, paid in advance) through a digital retailer are shafted.

Speak for yourself! :p

I pre-purchased via UPLAY and I am happily waiting for the alleged 1PM EST download time here in North America. I do not feel shafted, or disappointed, or depressed. I'm not raging or throwing a fit or crying tears of disbelief that I am waiting til the 19th.

I'm happy I was able to purchase the Gold Edition on UPLAY with every little goody that the game comes with and some extras only available via UPLAY. Before I head to work tomorrow evening, I'll set UPLAY to start downloading and by the time I get home, I am sure it will have finished. It will be a happy ending to a day of work that I am sure will suck from the start of my shift. :D

Bahjabroni
11-19-2013, 07:01 AM
LoL, Im gonna be downloading it tomorrow from Uplay/ cant wait. Did you try to buy it from Walmart?

Nope. I have it pre-ordered from uPlay.

warp2125
11-19-2013, 08:01 AM
I can understand why people have abit miffed though... there does seem to be a huge variance in the way the game was released.

williamarmor
11-19-2013, 08:07 AM
i hope we wont have any problem with the release

Mr_Shade
11-19-2013, 01:30 PM
I can understand why people have abit miffed though... there does seem to be a huge variance in the way the game was released.
Different regions offen have different release dates - US historically release games on a Tuesday - EU are Thursday while in the UK - it's always Fridays, so that reflects in the games release date.

That is no excuse to pirate the game though, so lets not start talking like that ;)

Stilton_SquadJD
11-19-2013, 05:33 PM
That is no excuse to pirate the game though, so lets not start talking like that ;)

Absolutely it's no excuse, but it is something that needs to be addressed. I don't want to have to talk about piracy, and I'm sure you don't either, but here's my opinion:

Pirating a game should never be a more attractive option than legally purchasing a game, yet it often is. Pirates should be looked at not as dirty thieves, but as potential customers. Why are they choosing to pirate instead of purchase?

I think things like staggered release dates and pre-order bonuses only lead to more illegal downloads. Think about it - what reason do pirates have to buy the game when they can play it earlier, with all the pre-order bonuses, for free?

With the PC's move towards digital distribution, surely things like staggered release dates should become a thing of the past? How do they benefit anyone? Releasing the game at the same time the world over would surely be a start towards encouraging people to purchase, because then it would be all the paying customers who get first access, rather than the pirates who have the game because someone in some corner of the world leaked it online before it was available everywhere else.

You could argue that it's only a few days between the release dates, but even in the few days between the US and Europe/UK, someone could say "Forget it. Why wait when I can play it now?", cancel their pre-order and go and download the game. Usually, you can't call every illegal download a lost sale because there's no evidence to suggest that that person would have bought the game had piracy not existed, but the example I just described is a lost sale. That's money which was going to you but now isn't, which could have been prevented with a worldwide release.

And on pre-order bonuses, is there any evidence to suggest that they actually increase pre-orders, or do they simply irritate the customers who have purchased elsewhere?

Publishers keep complaining about piracy but they're not doing anything to give the pirates a reason to legally purchase, apart from "it's the right thing to do."

It's not right that the paying customer has to wait longer to play, get less content with the game, and have to jump through hoops like Uplay, when someone can illegally downloaded the game and have a more convenient experience.

Ultimately, you can never stop people from illegally downloading the game, but there is more that can be done to encourage people to legally purchase the game.

The best thing the developer/publisher can do is focus on making the best game they possibly can for the legitimate customers and treat them with respect. Perhaps then, the consumers will respect the developer/publisher enough to purchase the game instead of pirating it.