PDA

View Full Version : [SPOILERS] The realisation is meeh

AdamPearce
11-16-2013, 04:00 AM
Hi, I just want to give an opinion about the realistion of the cutscenes and the overall design of the game.

So, I found that the game really lacked in ingenuity in term of realisation, especially after a pratically perfect ACIII. I mostly refer to the Assassination dialogue and all the major events of the game, so yeah, spoiler alert!

First thing first, the Assassination, it's just such a regression! The open-mission design is a good thing (even trought it wasn't really enjoyable, but, ain't the subject), unfortunetly it is not as awesome as it should be. The assassination itself is not good looking. They are no different camera angle, no different music, no big sounds effect, nothing, killing a NPC feels exactly the same! And that's the problem. The target should be much more 'heavy', we should feel like we are hitting something and not simply falling over another NPC. One of the best example I could find is this amazing camera angle from the AC3's firsts gameplay. (go to 6:36 )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZrklEy9ohQ

That's what I call a perfect realisation. I am aware that it wasn't like that in AC3, but it was in ACII, ACB and ACR, maybe not with the effects and stuff, but the slow-mo, the camera angle, the sound effect, it was all there! But AC3 redeemed itself with the excellent cutscenes troughout the game, especially during major moment or scripted Assassination. I talking Haytham being a Templar twist, Ziio's death (even trought the music is lacking), Juno's meeting with Connor, all the speeches with targets, Washington twist, Connor killing Kanentho:kon, Haytham Assassination AND, most of all, Lee's death! All those moments were memorable, it hits you, awakes feeling, which Black Flag did not suceed to create.

The best examples are the death of Blackbeard and Mary Read. BlackBeard death was a joke, the way he died was awful to see, not because he suffered, but because of how bad it was made! Did you watch it? He's fighting, gives a little speech ''In a wolrd with no Gold, we might have been Heroes!'' and then a lateral hit leaded by a random NPC kills him. Plus, the camera angle make you see nothing, it is too close to BB feet, it's horrible! ''Then gives your way you who looks to know everything and hold the Truth jerk'' Alright, this how I would've done it:

Abording the Man O'War, we fight, after we've killed 10 NPC, a cinematics shows up. We see Ed and BB fighting like devils, getting shot but not falling, smoke everywhere, they can't see each other. Edward finally sees BB, he in a bad position, Ed throws a gun. BB let go his line and just when he's done, a sword comes out of his belly. No more sounds, a red and filthy blood slides along BB mouth. He looks Ed, a long and silent look, a look that says 'what is happening?' like he doesn't understand. Then the sword is brutally take off and the Captain pushes BB body with his foot after he's on his knees. Ed run toward him, his eyes blind by rage, but, no luck, the Captain seems him and shout a barrel filled with black powder, ejecting Ed form the Ship into the sea. Then, Ed is underwater, laying amongts the deads, he wakes up and swim to the surface. We then have a apocalyptic vision, all the ships sinking, the crew members executed, pirate flag burning..Ed vanishes, he wakes up on a beach, where Adé will eventually find him...

I haven't planned anything for Mary's death, but I sincerely think that they could have done a way better job on this one, maybe not The Last of Us level, but you know, something powerful, something sad. The musics feels dark, like you are sneaking somewhere. Why? It should be a detress music, make us feel the detress of Edward! Oh wait, it actually is, until the cutscene where Mary dies, brilliant! This mission should have it's own soundtrack, it is so important in the game, why give it so less interest? the images are dark, the color dirty, the only good shot in that sequence was the last one. And even that one looked bad, a little light on Mary maybe? Or some tears from Edward? a hug? No, nothing. Just a ''I will be with you Kenway, I will.'' followed by a cheap death that is a copy of the one showed 5 secs before, just the camera that changes and a badly animated sad face, and the best shot. Then guards show up. Plus, her death makes absolutely no sense!!! When Edward carries her while she is living, is slow and heavy, then when she dies, he can run! Why didn't you run from the beggining you piece of crap?! You could've save her!!!! Jaysus, Mohammed and Moses! Anyway, we carry her to the 'boat' and then, worst friend ON EARTH! ''What happend to Mary :)))'' SHe died :| ''Oh, I knew it...anyway, my baby coming so let's go!!!'' Ah Tabai gives Assassin robe to edward, punchline, go away.

They could've take her back to the Assassins Island and give her a proper final? Like a big fire or something with all Assassin speaking the words, THEN Edward's speech and Ah Tabai gving the robe back and Anne speaking of missing everyone.

They just have no sense of drama whatsoever.

To conclude, Torres dead was awfuuul!!!! It was horrible, not only because the lack of interactive camera angle to make things look better, but because of the speech itself. No regrets, no argue, nothing. Toress approve edward's choice to become an Assassin, what?? Since when Templars says 'oh yeah, you look like a perfect Tenplar, come on! Oh no, not you, you're more like an Assassin, too bad! Maybe next time! ^^'' It's is also an horrible contrast after all the epic final assassination we got so far.

Al Mualim fight was amazing!
Rodriguo's assassination looked good and even thought the specch was meeh, the realisation with Decuaplating Ezio and Minerva was awesome!
Cesare's death is, imo, the best one so far. It was just perfection in term or realisation!
ACR final flying asassination was pretty nice, even thought the death of Ahmet and Abbas werren't that excellent, the speeches were!
Finally AC3 super dramatic and deep final just raised the bar to a whole new level.

And then we have Black Flag...

Thanks for reading! Sorry for mispealling.

Landruner
11-16-2013, 04:36 AM
Hi, I just want to give an opinion about the realistion of the cutscenes and the overall design of the game.

So, I found that the game really lacked in ingenuity in term of realisation, especially after a pratically perfect ACIII. I mostly refer to the Assassination dialogue and all the major events of the game, so yeah, spoiler alert!

First thing first, the Assassination, it's just such a regression! The open-mission design is a good thing (even trought it wasn't really enjoyable, but, ain't the subject), unfortunetly it is not as awesome as it should be. The assassination itself is not good looking. They are no different camera angle, no different music, no big sounds effect, nothing, killing a NPC feels exactly the same! And that's the problem. The target should be much more 'heavy', we should feel like we are hitting something and not simply falling over another NPC. One of the best example I could find is this amazing camera angle from the AC3's firsts gameplay. (go to 6:36 )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZrklEy9ohQ

That's what I call a perfect realisation. I am aware that it wasn't like that in AC3, but it was in ACII, ACB and ACR, maybe not with the effects and stuff, but the slow-mo, the camera angle, the sound effect, it was all there! But AC3 redeemed itself with the excellent cutscenes troughout the game, especially during major moment or scripted Assassination. I talking Haytham being a Templar twist, Ziio's death (even trought the music is lacking), Juno's meeting with Connor, all the speeches with targets, Washington twist, Connor killing Kanentho:kon, Haytham Assassination AND, most of all, Lee's death! All those moments were memorable, it hits you, awakes feeling, which Black Flag did not suceed to create.

The best examples are the death of Blackbeard and Mary Read. BlackBeard death was a joke, the way he died was awful to see, not because he suffered, but because of how bad it was made! Did you watch it? He's fighting, gives a little speech ''In a wolrd with no Gold, we might have been Heroes!'' and then a lateral hit leaded by a random NPC kills him. Plus, the camera angle make you see nothing, it is too close to BB feet, it's horrible! ''Then gives your way you who looks to know everything and hold the Truth jerk'' Alright, this how I would've done it:

Abording the Man O'War, we fight, after we've killed 10 NPC, a cinematics shows up. We see Ed and BB fighting like devils, getting shot but not falling, smoke everywhere, they can't see each other. Edward finally sees BB, he in a bad position, Ed throws a gun. BB let go his line and just when he's done, a sword comes out of his belly. No more sounds, a red and filthy blood slides along BB mouth. He looks Ed, a long and silent look, a look that says 'what is happening?' like he doesn't understand. Then the sword is brutally take off and the Captain pushes BB body with his foot after he's on his knees. Ed run toward him, his eyes blind by rage, but, no luck, the Captain seems him and shout a barrel filled with black powder, ejecting Ed form the Ship into the sea. Then, Ed is underwater, laying amongts the deads, he wakes up and swim to the surface. We then have a apocalyptic vision, all the ships sinking, the crew members executed, pirate flag burning..Ed vanishes, he wakes up on a beach, where Adé will eventually find him...

I haven't planned anything for Mary's death, but I sincerely think that they could have done a way better job on this one, maybe not The Last of Us level, but you know, something powerful, something sad. The musics feels dark, like you are sneaking somewhere. Why? It should be a detress music, make us feel the detress of Edward! Oh wait, it actually is, until the cutscene where Mary dies, brilliant! This mission should have it's own soundtrack, it is so important in the game, why give it so less interest? the images are dark, the color dirty, the only good shot in that sequence was the last one. And even that one looked bad, a little light on Mary maybe? Or some tears from Edward? a hug? No, nothing. Just a ''I will be with you Kenway, I will.'' followed by a cheap death that is a copy of the one showed 5 secs before, just the camera that changes and a badly animated sad face, and the best shot. Then guards show up. Plus, her death makes absolutely no sense!!! When Edward carries her while she is living, is slow and heavy, then when she dies, he can run! Why didn't you run from the beggining you piece of crap?! You could've save her!!!! Jaysus, Mohammed and Moses! Anyway, we carry her to the 'boat' and then, worst friend ON EARTH! ''What happend to Mary :)))'' SHe died :| ''Oh, I knew it...anyway, my baby coming so let's go!!!'' Ah Tabai gives Assassin robe to edward, punchline, go away.

They could've take her back to the Assassins Island and give her a proper final? Like a big fire or something with all Assassin speaking the words, THEN Edward's speech and Ah Tabai gving the robe back and Anne speaking of missing everyone.

They just have no sense of drama whatsoever.

To conclude, Torres dead was awfuuul!!!! It was horrible, not only because the lack of interactive camera angle to make things look better, but because of the speech itself. No regrets, no argue, nothing. Toress approve edward's choice to become an Assassin, what?? Since when Templars says 'oh yeah, you look like a perfect Tenplar, come on! Oh no, not you, you're more like an Assassin, too bad! Maybe next time! ^^'' It's is also an horrible contrast after all the epic final assassination we got so far.

Al Mualim fight was amazing!
Rodriguo's assassination looked good and even thought the specch was meeh, the realisation with Decuaplating Ezio and Minerva was awesome!
Cesare's death is, imo, the best one so far. It was just perfection in term or realisation!
ACR final flying asassination was pretty nice, even thought the death of Ahmet and Abbas werren't that excellent, the speeches were!
Finally AC3 super dramatic and deep final just raised the bar to a whole new level.

And then we have Black Flag...

Thanks for reading! Sorry for mispealling.

Your post carries a bit the feeling from a lot of people that love that franchise I have talked to since the past days, and I understand what you try to say.

It is true that the "dramatic" impact of the assassination went "a bit" away, and it does not necessarily bring the feeling of accomplishing something since it became almost generic or banalized by the mise en scene and the cut scenes. (The example showed in that E3 demo video with that assassination is a perfect example of the type of satisfaction impact we should get, and alas did not occur in the retail version of AC3) - It is something that the developers has somewhat seriously take in consideration since already a lot of people have this feeling of getting use to...and should feel in a different way especially after a main assassination.
Also for the realization of some cut scene and notably , well I assume that part has to be reworked also for the cut scenes by a scene director that knows how to extract the best of the actors in the time imparted for shooting them, (Which is perhaps not enough time), and the camera angle have to set in order to get the most impact of the scene. professionally, the video games cut scenes by the video game standard get to the point and exigence of the same direction and realization of an episode from a good TV series. (Additionally that everything is filmed in "blue screen" with motion capture and dark suit for the actors, so the cut scenes demand a director that knows how to direct actors and how to deal with those situation, not always easy)

Hope I was clear enough, English is not my native language

BoBwUzHeRe1138
11-16-2013, 05:01 AM
I didn't peek to heavily into the spoiler tags since I don't have BF yet BUT... I did glance at them and they seemed to be more about gameplay mechanics. And I agree...that AC3 demo's assassination was epic with Connor standing up after assassinating him and the world coming undone into the Animus loading-type screen...you just know they're about to have an awesome conversation or it feels like that's what will happen. It's a bit disheartening to hear it's not as impactful as it maybe once was. It'd be nice if they do something like that again... It'd be cool too for them to spend time on the assassinations so you can use whatever... hidden blades, sword, etc.

I guess it'd be harder for them to do an impactful gun or thrown knife assassination or an explosive barrel assassination but at least have cool looking ones for the hidden blade and other melee weapons...

AdamPearce
11-16-2013, 05:06 AM
I didn't peek to heavily into the spoiler tags since I don't have BF yet BUT... I did glance at them and they seemed to be more about gameplay mechanics. And I agree...that AC3 demo's assassination was epic with Connor standing up after assassinating him and the world coming undone into the Animus loading-type screen...you just know they're about to have an awesome conversation or it feels like that's what will happen. It's a bit disheartening to hear it's not as impactful as it maybe once was. It'd be nice if they do something like that again... It'd be cool too for them to spend time on the assassinations so you can use whatever... hidden blades, sword, etc.

I guess it'd be harder for them to do an impactful gun or thrown knife assassination or an explosive barrel assassination but at least have cool looking ones for the hidden blade and other melee weapons...

I was thinking they could create a whole system to make different impactful assassinatation depending on your weapon and assassination type, could be really awesome.

Landruner
11-16-2013, 05:37 AM
I was thinking they could create a whole system to make different impactful assassinatation depending on your weapon and assassination type, could be really awesome.

Yes, that also it would be nice (But consider that for each assassination using a different weapon they have to insert a cut scene, engine or not, and it could be a lot of those they have to prepare to take place for each used weapon for a kill)

In fact I believe that they really need to focus on redesigning the assassin missions and work harder on their gamep.lay and their structures and "agencement" of the path for each mission as well - redo it in a different way attached to the past games and the way we know them. Something new from scratch.

My biggest problem I have with the series and it became more obvious since AC3 is when an assassination happens, the transition with a cut scene and Templar speech falls a bit pushed just after the kill... - (Explain, my target is surrounded of 20 guards, I am able to manage a strike and I kill my target, the cut scene falls, and then the guards are gone...(???). I know that is perhaps a detail for some but it brakes the immersion for me).

AdamPearce
11-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Yes, that also it would be nice (But consider that for each assassination using a different weapon they have to insert a cut scene, engine or not, and it could be a lot of those they have to prepare to take place for each used weapon for a kill)

In fact I believe that they really need to focus on redesigning the assassin missions and work harder on their gamep.lay and their structures and "agencement" of the path for each mission as well - redo it in a different way attached to the past games and the way we know them. Something new from scratch.

My biggest problem I have with the series and it became more obvious since AC3 is when an assassination happens, the transition with a cut scene and Templar speech falls a bit pushed just after the kill... - (Explain, my target is surrounded of 20 guards, I am able to manage a strike and I kill my target, the cut scene falls, and then the guards are gone...(???). I know that is perhaps a detail for some but it brakes the immersion for me).

Never had that? But I see what you mean.

There is also the unsmooth transition between cutscenes and gameplay. In GTA V, the transition between cutscenes and gameplay is fluid, maybe because the cinematics are just gameplay with different point of view and not fully capture motion like AC but still, it's just weird to have those cut. In the Black Flag E3 demo, the transitions were smooth, don't know why they took them off.