PDA

View Full Version : Collecting Shanty Pages are the worst, difficult, annoying collectables over.

LordBloodWolfe
11-16-2013, 02:13 AM
I hate this "Collectables" ever since they was introduced in Assassin's Creed 3. These things pisses me off to hell and back, and now they been re-added in Assassin's Creed 4. Seriously who in the blue hell think these "collectables" are fun to do? I see this as annoying, and infuriating because the controls in this game make it's worse, for example, the part that pisses me off here in assassin's creed 4 is one in nassue near the swamp with the alligators are located at, where I have to climb up these trees and try to follow it... thanks to the abyssal controls of climbing, my character ends up climbing up the tree and not jumping to the next limb, and also when I want to jump from limb to limb, my stupid character decided to jump straight down, and causing a huge failure on the collection.

AdamPearce
11-16-2013, 02:14 AM
You just have no skills.

Kagurra
11-16-2013, 02:29 AM
Yeah they're not that bad, at least they weren't in 3. Just you know... what the other dude said. Don't they even show up on the map?

Megas_Doux
11-16-2013, 02:34 AM
I like those!

If you have problems, try to find another approach to catch those, a diferente angle or route.

LordBloodWolfe
11-16-2013, 02:34 AM
They do when you actually first sync into a local climbable structure, and they are revealed on the map, been that way ever since the first. That's the first thing I do whenever I explore in the assassin's creed game is climb the first tower, tree, whatever and syncronize, as they reveal almost everything, chest, maps, letters, flying pages, and everything.

However i still hate these shanty collections because they pisses me off when my stupid character decided to not climb faster or climbing up the wrong place, which causes the page to get further and causes a failure.they are the worst... I hate these fast pages and these abyssal controls... free-running is difficult in this game.

LordBloodWolfe
11-16-2013, 02:35 AM
your crazy.

captin_qwark7
11-16-2013, 03:17 AM
You just have no skills.

This. The shanties have easy paths to follow and respawn a lot faster than the Franklin pages so if you fail then just redo it till you get it.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
11-16-2013, 03:23 AM
thanks captain , for that very "helpful" tip for solving this problem. Just go commit suicide before someone else helps you.

Do the number of posts you have happen to be around the same as your age, perchance?

hamNdoritos
11-16-2013, 03:39 AM
Yeah they're not that bad, at least they weren't in 3. Just you know... what the other dude said. Don't they even show up on the map?

The shanties weren't in AC3, but the same style started from AC3 and thats where they got the shanties idea from. Except in AC3, it was Benjamin Franklin's pages

BATISTABUS
11-16-2013, 03:57 AM
thanks
Yeah...reported.

I will never understand some things people have trouble with. It's like when people couldn't pick locks in AC3.

DarkStar83x
11-16-2013, 04:46 AM
If you ran after the almanac pages in AC III, this is totally doable. I think the shanty pages move a bit slower, but that might be my imagination.

phoenix-force411
11-16-2013, 07:55 AM
You can trick the Shanties at times so that they come to you right when they blow away. Or you can try to cut it off, they're pretty fun, you just have to know how to improvise the situation should you mess up or the route they're taking seems like you could cut it off. I'm pretty use to it since the Franklin Pages.

Skcarkden
11-16-2013, 11:19 AM
thanks

While the other guy was rude in his own comment.. you don't need to go excessive, suicide is never funny.

Anyway.. I'll agree, the controls do tend make it annoying. I had to learn when to manually jump and make sure i aim the camera toward the branch or else he jumps far off course... hope this is useful for you...

Personally, i prefer this over the need to get 200 animus fragments and 46 chests across the whole sea. This is purely optional anyway, i suppose not all aspects of a game are for everyone. Even if that someone might be the type who wants completion

SpiritMuse
11-16-2013, 11:35 AM
I was annoyed at first to find more run-away collectibles, but I found these take a more definite path instead of just randomly floating away. They're not unlike the races that were part of previous games, so I approach them as such. The controls are a bit finicky, as always, so sometimes you have to just take your time. Go slower in order to go faster. :)

Oh, by the way, if you tell someone to commit suicide, and they do, you've committed a felony. Just throwing that out there. :)

ze_topazio
11-16-2013, 12:50 PM
They are not that hard but they annoying and i hate them too.

roostersrule2
11-16-2013, 12:56 PM
They are not that hard but they annoying and i hate them too.Agreed.

LoyalACFan
11-16-2013, 01:06 PM
Seriously, dude, once you figure out their route, most of the time you can just run at them from the other way and they'll float right into you... :nonchalance:

My only complaint with them is that they're kinda cheesy and gamey. "Hey, look, there's a song sheet flying across the rooftops, let me capture it and teach it to my crew!" XD Though I do admittedly love the sea shanties when I'm sailing around, the way you collected them was sorta lame.

SixKeys
11-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Seriously, dude, once you figure out their route, most of the time you can just run at them from the other way and they'll float right into you... :nonchalance:

My only complaint with them is that they're kinda cheesy and gamey. "Hey, look, there's a song sheet flying across the rooftops, let me capture it and teach it to my crew!" XD Though I do admittedly love the sea shanties when I'm sailing around, the way you collected them was sorta lame.

Perhaps they could make them feel less gamey if they respawned in different places every time. It seems strange that the same shanty would keep reappearing over the same location. It would make them feel more random and slightly more realistic to have the same paper flying all over the city.

roostersrule2
11-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Perhaps they could make them feel less gamey if they respawned in different places every time. It seems strange that the same shanty would keep reappearing over the same location. It would make them feel more random and slightly more realistic to have the same paper flying all over the city.That'd make them worse IMO, it'd make them much harder to find if they weren't in set locations.

SixKeys
11-16-2013, 01:31 PM
That'd make them worse IMO, it'd make them much harder to find if they weren't in set locations.

I was thinking that once you buy a map that shows shanties on your map, they would be marked on it wherever they might appear. While you're waiting for the next one to respawn, you'll doubtless use your map to locate a few other activities, so you would see them pop up sooner or later.

pirate1802
11-16-2013, 02:31 PM
I liked those in AC3, haven't seen them in AC4. Atleast they require a little bit of effort instead of you know, those flags and feathers.. just saying.

You just have no skills.

Basically this.

PS: I guess this is the time every year when immature kids flood the boards. Gotta brace myself!

OHIC
11-16-2013, 03:01 PM
You just have no skills.

True.

OP - It's a challenge. If you're not good enough to achieve it, then all you miss out on is some songs. This is not a fault on Ubisoft's part.

People like you have been moaning forever, demanding the removal of anything that troubles you (races, etc). The rest of us want to play a game, and games sometimes involve losing.

TheArcaneEagle
11-16-2013, 03:13 PM
OP, Your not serious are you?

You have to be joking. Just eject the disk and send the game back from whence it came if you find it too difficult. Your the kind of people who demand video games to be easy to cater to idiots like yourself.

dxsxhxcx
11-16-2013, 03:16 PM
People like you have been moaning forever, demanding the removal of anything that troubles you (races, etc). The rest of us want to play a game, and games sometimes involve losing.

tell that to whoever is responsible for the combat in the series... :p

I understand why the OP is annoyed by it though, I didn't like the flying almanac pages in AC3 because IMO this wasn't a fun activity worth of my time, look at the Enigma's puzzles attached to many collectibles in Batman Arkham Origins for example, that IMO is a smart and entertaining way to add collectibles in the game, I wish Ubisoft followed this route with the AC's collectibles as well...

OHIC
11-16-2013, 04:28 PM
tell that to whoever is responsible for the combat in the series... :p

Ha ha! Well that's what happens when you decide thinking is too much of a barrier for your audience, if it weeps that things like the cluster puzzles are too hard, or it's unfair to create places with actual security that makes you look for a way in :)

I understand why the OP is annoyed by it though, I didn't like the flying almanac pages in AC3 because IMO this wasn't a fun activity worth of my time, look at the Enigma's puzzles attached to many collectibles in Batman Arkham Origins for example, that IMO is a smart and entertaining way to add collectibles in the game, I wish Ubisoft followed this route with the AC's collectibles as well...

I can see that. Although, I'm not sure how AC could add such mechanical puzzles outside of a Tomb-type environment.

Black_Widow9
11-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Anyway...... If you are having trouble with something please ask for help rather than ranting if you want to stay around the Forums.
Thanks

Krayus Korianis
11-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Pretty sure the Almanac pages were the most horrible things ever contrived... However, it's NOT hard to get them. it may look like they're way ahead of you, but they're really not.

Landruner
11-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Yeah...reported.

I will never understand some things people have trouble with. It's like when people couldn't pick locks in AC3.

Oooooh!!! lock's picking in AC3 was not always that easy - It was a glitch time to time and for some reasons some chests were not opening - I had two of those that whatever would not open, until I found a way to pass over the glitch (Simple when the glitch it does happen and you can't open the chest, just exit the animation and start over and it works)
For the shanty;s pages, I felt more motivated to run after them since they were providing some...well, shanties, and I preferred getting them instead that the Benny ones in AC3 (Collecting the miniature invention for the homestead were cute but, I did not think that relevant neither...However; I believe that it would have been nice to have also some other ways besides the flying pages in order to get them. Like some shanties hidden in some chest with locks to open (he!he!heh ;)) or having some wee puzzles to resolve to get some other shanties. Just for having a bit more variety in the task of collecting them.

SporkMasta
11-17-2013, 09:51 AM
There are two easy ways to handle this:

1) Come at them from underneath where possible - hang on the ropes, be on the side of the buildings, etc. - this way you won't have to chase them at all.

2) Wait at the spawn point after they're gone, apparently they'll respawn inside you. (Have a friend who says he does this, I'd already gotten 'em all by then.)

pacmanate
11-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Shanties are easy. You just need to run at them at the correct angle first. I believe they start floating when you are 10-12m away from them.

LordBloodWolfe
11-19-2013, 01:32 AM
There are two easy ways to handle this:

1) Come at them from underneath where possible - hang on the ropes, be on the side of the buildings, etc. - this way you won't have to chase them at all.

2) Wait at the spawn point after they're gone, apparently they'll respawn inside you. (Have a friend who says he does this, I'd already gotten 'em all by then.)

I did that just to see if that works and it did... Finally i got some of the shanty pages that I had trouble getting. Thanks

LordBloodWolfe
11-19-2013, 01:34 AM
Shanties are easy. You just need to run at them at the correct angle first. I believe they start floating when you are 10-12m away from them.

They are not easy when you controls make you run up a tree and not around it, or make you fall all the way down and unable to get back up again, and make you miss it. I hated this so much on both this game and Assassin's Creed 4, understandably in Assassin's Creed 4, they are collectables now, however I want to get them all for that achievement if your trying your best to get 100% on this game and getting that platinum trophy.

Kagurra
11-19-2013, 02:09 AM
They are not easy when you controls make you run up a tree and not around it, or make you fall all the way down and unable to get back up again, and make you miss it. I hated this so much on both this game and Assassin's Creed 4, understandably in Assassin's Creed 4, they are collectables now, however I want to get them all for that achievement if your trying your best to get 100% on this game and getting that platinum trophy.

It's not that bad.