PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft undercutting Steam?

archav3n
11-14-2013, 03:02 PM
I have most of my games on Steam. But i have to get the UPlay version as it's much cheaper than on Steam. It suxs that i have to resort to UPlay. What do you think?

guardian_titan
11-14-2013, 03:23 PM
I see both listed with the same price ($59.99). Steam has the gold edition as well for $79.99 which includes the season pass, Aveline, etc. Sure you're not looking at the wrong version? If you're seeing something else, it's either a cache issue (clear your temporary internet files) or a currency rate conversion issue. I know Amazon tried a price variation tactic some years ago with some customers that were logged saw one price and new or not logged in customers saw another. Caused a large uproar and got removed, but I doubt that's the case here. There's also the possibility of tax laws that may change the price. I know internet taxes are becoming more and more common.

Uplay is also direct to Ubisoft. No middle man. Steam is a 3rd party so takes a bit of the profit. Buy from Uplay, more/all of your money goes directly to Ubisoft. There's no one holding a gun to your head saying you have to buy from Uplay or Steam so saying "I have to" means nothing. If you feel the prices are grossly out of whack, then inquire with the retailers about it. Maybe there's an error. Also no one holding a gun to your head saying to buy the game now. I'm just going to wait until either the summer or winter sales on Steam (in 2014) to buy the game. All the DLC will be out so I can evaluate if the DLC is worth the money and the game will be cheaper than $59.99/$79.99.. And hopefully most of the bugs will be fixed. I intended to buy the game earlier, but I've since changed my mind.

Solid-Snake-Eyes
11-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Greenman Gaming has it for 25% off with code, I posted the details in another thread. Uplay version obviously.

archav3n
11-15-2013, 05:32 AM
Greenman Gaming has it for 25% off with code, I posted the details in another thread. Uplay version obviously.

Yeah you are right. But the codes work for selected account only if not mistaken. As it's by invitation. I got the invitation by email. Guess i have to rebuy AC4 again once Steam sales arrive :(

Solid-Snake-Eyes
11-15-2013, 06:38 AM
Yeah you are right. But the codes work for selected account only if not mistaken. As it's by invitation. I got the invitation by email. Guess i have to rebuy AC4 again once Steam sales arrive :(
I gave someone else here the code in that other thread and the code worked for him. I don't know, I haven't tried it myself cause I already bought the game.

AntiChrist7
11-16-2013, 05:06 PM
you needed uplay anyway

strigoi1958
11-16-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm glad a free market exists and we can buy cheaper in some places than others... I'd happily pay full price as the AC series is definitely worth every penny but it didn't stop me snapping up my bargain from ebay :)