PDA

View Full Version : Finished the game... great but something lacking :/

killzab
11-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Unlike all previous AC games, I don't feel the same way after finishing the game. I enjoyed it a lot, it still has its flaws but it was the best game gameplay-wise.

I can't get bored of boarding ships, I've probably done it hundreds of times and could still do it 20 times in a row. It's just that good !

I've completed the game, done everything there is to do.

But now I don't know, I don't feel the same excitement I felt after completing the previous games.There's isn't much to speculate about.

Every previous game ended on a cliffhanger that made you extremely excited for what was coming next. Plus there were tiny hints at future games that we could discuss ( or argue about lol ). Not this time...

The game was good, the story self-contained, but it doesn't go any further.
I liked modern day but it wasn't especially engaging.

Plus I think the way they threw so many references to possible time periods for future games makes it impossible to speculate on it actually. I mean, they give you like ten locations but don't give any hints to which one is the most likely.

The game didn't really feel relevant, it was satisfying, but not memorable. ACIII, for all its faults, left a longer lasting impression on me.

silvermercy
11-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Well... I suppose it could be considered as a very good game that stands on its own.
The fact that there is not so much to speculate about as before, probably has to do with these facts: 1. it's a prequel, 2. It does not feature Desmond's story anymore. I think it's more of the latter... It is known that the modern story will not be as prominent as before; which is of course bad news for modern day fans but also good news for those who like the historical parts much more.

Farlander1991
11-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Makes sense to me. After all, Desmond's Saga introduced so many mysteries and plot points (for some of which the devs/writers didn't have a clear understanding of where they'll be going with this, if anywhere), and it's speculation and excitement about those things that has left many people disappointed, some even angry.

All around, AC4 looks like a "regrouping" game. Try to gather all the best of AC while introducing some of its own features that tie in neatly, don't overscope neither with the past or modern day world, and don't try to bite off more than you can chew in terms of the story, just process what's already there and try to clean it up. Honestly, I think it's a better way to go than adding tons more speculation-inducing moments.

DetroitPlaya
11-14-2013, 04:14 PM
Every previous game ended on a cliffhanger that made you extremely excited for what was coming next. Plus there were tiny hints at future games that we could discuss ( or argue about lol ). Not this time...

You say you did everything... But are you sure?

Many people miss the postgame security feeds, the journal updates after certain stuff is complete, etc.

TheDanteEX
11-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Games should stand on their own. If one story kept going on forever, it doesn't get to the point and everybody stops caring. With what I assume is going to be the new format, we can look at each game as a stand-alone book that takes place in the same universe as the last. There's connections that long-term fans enjoy, but they aren't required to enjoy it for what it is. It works.

dxsxhxcx
11-14-2013, 05:29 PM
If one story kept going on forever, it doesn't get to the point and everybody stops caring.

I agree but if you'll start something, the least you can do is finish it before you change how things are done, Juno is part of Desmond's arc since ACB (or before that, assuming they already had her in mind) so the least they could've done is continue making the modern days as it was before AC4, with the player in control of a new modern day protagonist (in 3rd person and his/her own personality), finish the modern day plot they began before AC4 and then use the formula they used in AC4 or remove the modern days for once...

Landruner
11-15-2013, 01:21 AM
Unlike all previous AC games, I don't feel the same way after finishing the game. I enjoyed it a lot, it still has its flaws but it was the best game gameplay-wise.

I can't get bored of boarding ships, I've probably done it hundreds of times and could still do it 20 times in a row. It's just that good !

I've completed the game, done everything there is to do.

But now I don't know, I don't feel the same excitement I felt after completing the previous games.There's isn't much to speculate about.

The game was good, the story self-contained, but it doesn't go any further.
I liked modern day but it wasn't especially engaging.

Plus I think the way they threw so many references to possible time periods for future games makes it impossible to speculate on it actually. I mean, they give you like ten locations but don't give any hints to which one is the most likely.

The game didn't really feel relevant, it was satisfying, but not memorable. ACIII, for all its faults, left a longer lasting impression on me.

Welcome to the club of the "disadulation" and the disabuse of this franchise from its fans... I had the same feeling like yours, I asked friends of mine that finished the game about their opinions, and the outcome was the same: the game is great, but that is all, nothing more nothing less if not wondering if you are not lying to yourself in pretending anticipating the next one....

phoenix-force411
11-15-2013, 01:28 AM
I have a hunch that the modern day guy is Desmond for some reason. That video said that the legacy of sub. 17 will live on as sample 17. And plus, everyone is acting pretty strange around him, I could guess that we are Desmond. So, the person who we are playing as is still a mystery.