PDA

View Full Version : New Assasin Creed fan.. Need some advice

psofelix
11-14-2013, 10:53 AM
I just started playing Assasin Creed: Black Flag, and my God is it a good game:D
Its actually the first time ive ever played Assasin Creed and thats part of my question.

Today I will buy the Heritage Collection i my locale store and was wondering if i should quit the game and start from number one.
I know the 4th game isnt that connected to the rest of the series, but im thinking more of the ingame engine.
Has the combat system and AI evolved so much that i would find it dissapointing to play number one after i finnish Black Flag?
Ive played a good 10 hours but have focused mostly on the sidequests. Im at the point where they have taken over the village after killing Jullien.

Looking forward to stay here on the forum and share my very limited Assasin Creed knowledge with you:)

Im allso from Scandinavia, so my english is not perfect:)

Have a nice day, everyone=D..

deadlyh1tAC
11-14-2013, 11:56 AM
actually yes! Assassin's creed 1 will be kinda boring for you cause you started from the last sequel of the series until now! and i am wondering if you actually understand anything from the story cause its a little bit confusing! so my opinion is to start from the 1st Ac and continue till Black Flag

roostersrule2
11-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Play and finish 4. Just don't do much of the modern day side quests.

psofelix
11-14-2013, 12:22 PM
I think i will start from the beginning then:).
Guess im in for a long ride, then:D.. see you in the AC;1 topics:)

adventurewomen
11-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Honestly you should start playing AC1 first then play each game in order including all the DLCs from then that's the only way you would understand the story.

Just like the saying goes: "You can't run before you walk.."

AdamPearce
11-14-2013, 02:36 PM
The IA haven't change.
The combat system did, it's much harder in AC1
The engine of previous game is the Anvil so the graphics won't be as appealing as they are in Black Flag, though the environment are so rich and the feeling so strong it won't really matter

Keep in mind that AC1 is the base of the serie, try focusing on Assassination and Story, since the gameplay can seem kinda repetitive and the mission structure vague.

psofelix
11-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks everyone for the answers! :)
Its great to hear the opinions of true AC fans, and not google answer :D

Farlander1991
11-14-2013, 03:50 PM
If you ever play AC1, I suggest you to play it without the HUD, i.e. having it turned off. That's the only AC game that was designed FULLY around the idea of hudless gameplay (to the point that you can see how many throwing knives you have on Altair himself, which is something that hasn't been present in other AC games.. possibly Connor's arrows in AC3, I'm not sure), and provides a very different experience. And the repetitive structure of the investigative missions doesn't get in your eyes as much, because you don't just go to icons on maps, but explore the city and listen to irregularities that will lead you to your objectives (or look for informants via the Eagle Vision).

thelastdisciple
11-14-2013, 04:11 PM
I had actually been turned off of the Assassin's Creed series since the first game and nothing really brought me back until Black Flags, really it was the basis in pirate lore and open world naval action that attracted me to it the most that and i had got the game for free anyways so not really much to complain about lol i still have some gripes with the latest game though in regards to stealth mechanics but the overall combat has definitely improved in my opinion (of course this is in ignorance of the rest of the series but just on the basis of comparing with the very first game it is leagues better... although something that came out 6 years ago is bound to feel a bit inferior on the technical side of things in comparison).

The first AC's combat felt so damn slow and wasn't anywhere near as responsive as it is now but it was something that really took me out of the game at times, also these days i guess I'm just so used to free-flowing seamless combo stringing Batman Arkham Asylum/City style combat that i wouldn't even go anywhere near it now with the way it responds but that's just me.

The fact these games still have no actual crouch option other than being in foliage still bugs the hell out of me, i mean it's so annoying coming out of a stalking zone and you'd think you'd be able to stay in cover behind some boxes and barrels or something but nope you immediately stand up like a derp or the fact that you can't use disguises to infiltrate highly guarded areas (this isn't for lack of skills or anything either to be able to do such things regardless of disguise it's just that logically if you wanted to be the most covert in certain situations it's just puzzling why you can't even do something like that).....

I'm definitely glad Black Flags sort of stands on it's own and isn't THAT ingrained in previous story arcs so i can enjoy it and remain relatively unconfused.

luckyto
11-14-2013, 05:07 PM
You'll probably like Assassin's Creed 2 the most. Personally, I prefer AC1, and it can be quick. But there is ZERO side content. Just 9 assassinations. That's it. But, it has a really good atmosphere and hands down, the best combat of the series. It will take some getting used to, but it's fantastic. Of all the games (until Black Flag), I replayed it the most. That said, all this crazy extra good stuff that makes Black Flag so good is not in AC1.

pacmanate
11-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Play them all, just have patience with AC1.

BATISTABUS
11-14-2013, 07:34 PM
Play the games in whatever order seems most interesting for you. They all have something amazing to offer, and they all fail hard in some area. They're all great games, so as long as you don't get bogged down by differences or their flaws, you should enjoy yourself.

SleezeRocker
11-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Play them all, just have patience with AC1.

this mostly^

ACfan443
11-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Honestly you should start playing AC1 first then play each game in order including all the DLCs from then that's the only way you would understand the story.

Do this basically.

ze_topazio
11-14-2013, 07:47 PM
There's a reason why AC4 is called AC 4

thelastdisciple
11-14-2013, 08:18 PM
There's a reason why AC4 is called AC 4
Haha i think i know the point you're trying to make here but you have to realize not every numbered franchise follows a completely overarcing linear story from the first game to the last.

Case in point: Grand Theft Auto.

xx-pyro
11-14-2013, 09:23 PM
The DLC's are incredibly unnecessary. The AC2 DLC's (Bonfire of the Vanities and that other one) do help a bit in understanding what's going on, but quite honestly the Brotherhood & Revelations DLC aren't necessary to appreciate the story, nor is AC3's.

I'd play through them all in order if I were you, but AC1 caaaaaan be skipped if you really don't enjoy it.

phoenix-force411
11-14-2013, 11:02 PM
AC1 = Best Combat
ACII = Worse Combat
ACB = Easiest Combat
ACR = Personally, a better and harder combat from ACB's.
ACIII = Probably second best combat
ACIV = It doesn't beat ACR's combat in my opinion.

feeeelix88
11-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Due to some problem with accounts and connecting my Galaxy 2 to Black Flags companion (which i finally fixed, hurray:D), Ile be using this acount instead.

Again, thanks for all the helpful answers. I have started on AC:1 now and must say i dont feel that much difference in controlling Altair.
The fighting is somewhat the same at least.. Its sad he dont run up walls automatically, like the Edward does, but that aside -i like the game:)

feeeelix88
11-16-2013, 03:01 AM
I have now finished Assasins Creed:1 and have to come to this short conclution:

If you have bought AC:4 and thats the only game you have tried, but want to play the whole serie, then play some hours of AC:4 first..
It will give you a taste of whats to come in the next game and give you the motivation to keep playing.
This was the only thing that kept me going through AC:1.. that and the understanding of how a guy from the present can play his ancestry.
If I had start playing AC:1 without knowing that the following games would be amazing, then I would have turned it of when i had seen the pattern in the game.

The story itself is very good, even though i personally think that content of the game is minimum of what you should even get from a decent DLC. (kill 9 assasins with the same pattern everytime).

For those considering doing this then there are two cheap options:
1: Buy the Heritage Collection, wich consist of the 5 first games, or'
2: Buy each game induvidually in the market store. AC:2 and Brotherhood costs aproximatly 11 dollars if the currency in my head is somewhat right.

Hopes this will be helpfull to someone here, or randoms googling the subject.

PedroAntonio2
11-16-2013, 03:09 AM
Stop playing ACIV right now, you will get SPOILER for previous titles. Whatever you do, DON'T HACK the computers in Abstergo, you will get a ton of SPOILERs connected to Subject 16, Desmond, Lucy and Juno.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
11-16-2013, 05:07 AM
I say start from the first one. It'll be a little boring as it wasn't quite sure of what to do yet. It's a little repetitive but you'll immediately see things that will evolve.'

I won't say spoilers unless you count a gameplay mechanic as a spoiler so...be warned (nothing story related though)

There are side missions and objectives and mechanics in AC1 that will evolve into things over time. There are civilians being abused by guards as side objectives in AC1 and by the third game in the series, you'll see how they evolve. You'll have a blast and the good news is that the games shouldn't take TOO much time unless you're going for 100% sync. And even then, by the second game -- the formula was more or fleshed out and completed.

Word or warning for AC2 and beyond... if you like the default outfits and are vain and prefer looks over function, don't buy armor as you can't unequip them haha

feeeelix88
11-16-2013, 05:11 AM
(SPOILERS!! Maybe!!)

Thats a good advice. I stopped playing it when i started playing AC:1.
I was so facinated by AC:4 that i did mostly treasure hunting and finding all the objects.
I believe I have done aprox 20% of the game when i quit. I was at the point where they captured Juliens ship and made civilisation on that Island
As for the hacking. I did only on hacking and that was when I got that email that i was supose to give to the girl in the reseption.

It will be some time before i finish all the other games, and by then i will proberly start all over again so can connect the dots for myself more easily.

I hope some hardcore fans feel a bit jelous of a new guy who gets to play the whole series, including AC:4 in one shot:D..

Its allmost like a Shenmue feeling :P

roostersrule2
11-16-2013, 05:19 AM
(SPOILERS!! Maybe!!)

Thats a good advice. I stopped playing it when i started playing AC:1.
I was so facinated by AC:4 that i did mostly treasure hunting and finding all the objects.
I believe I have done aprox 20% of the game when i quit. I was at the point where they captured Juliens ship and made civilisation on that Island
As for the hacking. I did only on hacking and that was when I got that email that i was supose to give to the girl in the reseption.

It will be some time before i finish all the other games, and by then i will proberly start all over again so can connect the dots for myself more easily.

I hope some hardcore fans feel a bit jelous of a new guy who gets to play the whole series, including AC:4 in one shot:D..

Its allmost like a Shenmue feeling :PI know what you're thinking, has he played 6 games or only 5, well to tell you the truth in all these games I kinda lost track myself but being this is an AC forum, the most knowledgeable place for AC info, I could spoil this whole series right now, you've got to ask yourself one question, do I feel lucky? Well do you punk?

feeeelix88
11-16-2013, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the answer, BoBWfkfsk848r439rdjsfn :)

But should I play all in the line they where released or, are there some alternative ways to make the story seem more continueous? :)
It should be taken into consideration the game engine, as it would be foolish to change the order of playing them, and ending up with less realism and AI:)

BoBwUzHeRe1138
11-16-2013, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the answer, BoBWfkfsk848r439rdjsfn :)

But should I play all in the line they where released or, are there some alternative ways to make the story seem more continueous? :)
It should be taken into consideration the game engine, as it would be foolish to change the order of playing them, and ending up with less realism and AI:)

Yeah, you'll want to play them in order. First of all, the modern day story that flows throughout them won't make any sense if you switch up the order.

As for the bulk of the games.. yeah. Still wanna play them in order. AC1, then AC2, then Brotherhood, then Revelations. Why? Because 1 is where they set everything up. It sets the stage for eeeeverything to come. I mean...it's the time period when Templars were at their prime historically and so it's a good starting time period which is why it was the obvious choice for Ubi when they created the concept. Then AC2 will feel MUCH more like AC4 gameplay-wise so that should be good news haha. The cities have more to do, it's larger, the cities will be even better designed, more parkour options, less repetitive, etc. Brotherhood actually just feels like a continuation of AC2...it's almost like it was originally intended to be in AC2 but chopped off at the last minute. The city is good and larger than previous cities (but there's only one city meaning the variation isn't as much) and it refined combat mechanics more. Revelations, again, feels more or less like a continuation of AC2 both in the modern storyline and the historical story. AC3 then comes next and is probably the MOST like AC4 in terms of the parkour and whatnot but I, personally, found the cities to be a bit lacking but it depends on the player. It could turn out to be your favorite!

Bottom line... play them in order. It'll be a little weird to play AC1 but just remember that it's not completely devoid of fun but can be a little repetitive and has less to do. Try and enjoy it for what it is but don't expect gameplay as good as AC4 haha

AC1: Customization is non-existent. You don't get to pick and choose what weapons you get, you can't change the robe colors, there is no economy system to buy items, there's not even medicine as the health system is different. Each AC game's primary thing is, well, assassinations obviously. In AC1...the process of setting up an assassination doesn't feel as natural as it will in later installments and gets repetitive. Other mechanics are more primitive as well such as blending being only available in a certain group whereas in later installments you can blend in any crowd. After playing it and moving on, you'll see how certain elements are continued and made even better.
AC2: This is the game that pretty much defined the gameplay mechanics for the rest of the series.. there's an economy system, you can buy different weapons, dye your clothes to be different colors, unlockable outfits via Uplay and in-game, etc. The repetitive nature of setting up assassinations has been considerably reduced and now just feels like a natural progression of events rather than "do this, do this, do this, assassinate" and there's just MORE to do. This is my personal favorite AC game and should feel a lot more familiar after playing AC4. Oh... bear in mind that while parkour is (I believe, if it's the same as AC3) controlled by the right trigger -- parkous is controllers by holding the right trigger as well as the A button. I actually kind of prefer this and you'll get used to it but it comes down to preference which you prefer.
Brotherhood: Again, at this point...AC2 changed so much of the mechanics that Brotherhood didn't do much. It added a few mechanics and refined things such as combat. It feels like a natural progression from AC2. It's a smaller game as it was made in pretty much a year and includes only one city (but it's a fairly big city.) To me, it's just an extension of AC2 and in my mind, I don't even think of them as separate games. It's good and fun and probably will be slightly closer to what you're currently familiar with.
Revelations: Same thing. It's got some new mechanics that will immediately disappear with AC3 but they weren't significant changes with one exception though it's probably best that it was removed but hey, up to you. Another single city but again, a large one and yet again, pretty much an extension of AC2 in many ways.
AC3: This will be the one you're most familiar with... parkour was altered to be only dictated by right trigger and they altered numerous mechanics and added climbing trees -- so yeah...for the previous games, you'll have to get over the fact that you can't climb trees no matter how silly it seems haha). Less customization I believe than AC2/Brotherhood/Revelation and AC4 however... there's some unlockable outfits but only a handful of dyes. Personally, I didn't find the cities too enjoyable but I don't want my opinion to possibly taint yours so go in with an open mind and it could be your favorite AC game.

For all of them...the modern story just naturally moves forward and is one of the biggest reasons to play in order of release. Plus, engine wise...best to play the one with the worst gameplay first and get it "over with" so to speak and see how the series evolved and how the gameplay got better.

feeeelix88
11-16-2013, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the answers! Its so nice of you guys to take so much time to answer such small questions (even though i understand these are not simple questions for you guys).
I will take everything to me and start playing AC:2 today.

Since im allowed to ask all kinds of newbie stuff:
-Whats your take on the 3D function? Should i play them in 3D? I have a high end 55" LG tv wich use passive 3d technology.
I believe Ive read that Revelation has a stereoscopic function, but how about the rest? I did not try it in AC:1, i simply forgot about it.
I can imagine these games would look brilliant i 3D if there is no light and shadow issues in the game

Allso. Are there apps I can use with my Galaxy Tab 2 and LG G2? The Tab runs Android 4.3.1 and the G2 runs 4.2.2 i believe.
I have allready downloaded the companion app for AC:4, but maybe there are other goodies allso? Its crap when you dont figure out these things before playing.

ze_topazio
11-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Haha i think i know the point you're trying to make here but you have to realize not every numbered franchise follows a completely overarcing linear story from the first game to the last.

Case in point: Grand Theft Auto.

GTA doesn't count because every chapter is independent from the others, in cases like Metal gear Solid, Kingdom Hearts, God of War, etc... games with lots of sequels followed by prequels and then sequels again, etc..., they are still written in a way that they need to be played in the order they were released and not in a chronological order or a completely random order.

AssassinHMS
11-16-2013, 01:32 PM
Play AC1 first but, if you do, don't expect to have too much fun. Play it to feel like an assassin (turn off the HUD, take your time to read the information you gather through investigations, act like a detective, plan your assassinations and enjoy the world) because, if you rush through it and just play it for casual fun, you will be disappointed. There will be annoyances like its repetitiveness, the beggars in the cities and the overall pace of the game so don't see that as a flaw of the original AC concept but as mistakes that future games will correct (at the expense of the core gameplay however). As for the others, Iíd say you can play them any way you want as long as you donít expect any real improvements, only other features that compete with and overshadow the actual Assassinís Creed part.

BoBwUzHeRe1138
11-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the answers! Its so nice of you guys to take so much time to answer such small questions (even though i understand these are not simple questions for you guys).
I will take everything to me and start playing AC:2 today.

Since im allowed to ask all kinds of newbie stuff:
-Whats your take on the 3D function? Should i play them in 3D? I have a high end 55" LG tv wich use passive 3d technology.
I believe Ive read that Revelation has a stereoscopic function, but how about the rest? I did not try it in AC:1, i simply forgot about it.
I can imagine these games would look brilliant i 3D if there is no light and shadow issues in the game

Allso. Are there apps I can use with my Galaxy Tab 2 and LG G2? The Tab runs Android 4.3.1 and the G2 runs 4.2.2 i believe.
I have allready downloaded the companion app for AC:4, but maybe there are other goodies allso? Its crap when you dont figure out these things before playing.

Oh, you already played AC1? I thought you hadn't yet. Then yeah, AC2 should be a bit more fun!

BoBwUzHeRe1138
11-16-2013, 06:11 PM
I'd also suggest watching the CGI trailers before playing each game to get in the mood. If you played AC1 already, watch the video anyway. Then watch the one before AC2...they're all epic.