PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else like deep sea swimming? (SPOIL ALERT)

SneakierNote
11-12-2013, 04:20 PM
So anyway I hope there are places in future AC titles where we can use the Diving Bell. I know some of you disliked this part of the game but others like myself loved it. The graphics under water make you fell like your exploring a real under water ship wreck its awsome.

luckyto
11-12-2013, 04:32 PM
I liked it. The environments were awesome.

My only gripe is that the X button (PS3) should have been swim down and O button should be swim up/interact. Tomb Raider established good swimming controls almost twenty years ago. There's no reason why the controls for this were difficult for some people.

shobhit7777777
11-12-2013, 04:40 PM
I enjoyed it. I thought the Sharks were BS especially since you couldn't fight back and didn't really allow you to soak in the atmosphere.
Its an awesome sight to look up from the murky depths and see the hulking form of the Jackdaw looming over you.

Honestly, Naval was really well implemented and fleshed out. I hope it becomes a spin-off stable...like a Black Flags trilogy.

luckyto
11-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Or seeing a huge whale swim by... awesomeness.

AstusOz
11-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Not particularly. Too stressful, lol.

Silent Running5
11-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Yes, I enjoyed the diving part of the game very much, about the only thing I would of liked to seen different, is the lack of any type of weapon, I can understand swords and pistols, but we should be able to dive with a knife, ( May not help much, but I would of felt better if I had something to us on the sharks cept for my fists.

Zellzin
11-12-2013, 05:12 PM
I loved 'em. So different from anything else in the game. Even if we don't see the Diving Bell in upcoming installments, I would like to see the underwater cave systems/smuggler's dens return. You know, where you have to swim without any armor/weapons, make your way through an underwater cave system using the air pockets instead of air barrels, avoiding all the diverse sea-life, and come up on a smuggler's den filled with treasure and enemies.

itsamea-mario
11-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Not really.

DynaRider
11-12-2013, 05:18 PM
I've gotta give mega kudos to the programmers who were able to make everything in AC4 so realistic. So much attention to even small details such as bark on trees and the water as you swim out from shore to the Jackdaw. Pretty darned amazing and adds so much to getting me immersed in the game. Even the sounds in the forests, jungles and towns are realistic. The only real problem I have with the underwater quests is trying to control Edward, especially since there is a limited air supply. I have found a couple of the elite plans but it was just dumb luck that I was able to retrieve them.

TorQue1988
11-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Haven't played the game yet (waiting for the PC version) but from what i've seen it looks great and unique. My only problem with it is that Edward turns grey when hiding from the sharks (just like he turns grey when he is blending). I know this effect for blending was in Ezio's trilogy as well, and they ditched it in AC3 (though the replacement effect withe those weird lines wasn't much better either) but they brought it back for some ridiculous reason. I always hated this effect because it breaks immersion and i really wish there is an option to turn it off, but i highly doubt it.
Another thing about the diving sections i don't like is that you can't actually fight back. You should be able to have a short spear or something.

SenseHomunculus
11-12-2013, 05:47 PM
I loved it. Going inside the wrecks got downright claustrophobic at times, and I actually dive and was surprised I felt that. Only thing, been mentioned before, is not being able to right back with a knife or whatever. Not sure why they didn't give Edward the ability. Having said that, I have yet to die on a dive, though I've come really close.

SneakierNote
11-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Could you guys keep posting ideas and suggestions here please? I am really enjoying the cool ideas you guys have on this topic. I think the idea of having a spear or a knife to defend ourselves is cool in case we get attacked.

Thank you guys for respecting eachother and keeping this thread cool. Now on with some more suggestions please! Even if you think you have a idea and it will not work post it anyway you never know.

xx-pyro
11-12-2013, 08:39 PM
I thought it was neat but to me it did get tedious after awhile. Definitely a cool feature though glad it's there. I don't think having weapons underwater would make much sense at all, you wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the kind of momentum needed to use a weapon efficiently, although I suppose you could still stab at a shark with a knife. I dunno. I kinda liked that you had to be wary of them and avoid them at all costs, and was disappointed that health regenerated right after fighting one.

SenseHomunculus
11-12-2013, 08:46 PM
I thought it was neat but to me it did get tedious after awhile. Definitely a cool feature though glad it's there. I don't think having weapons underwater would make much sense at all, you wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the kind of momentum needed to use a weapon efficiently, although I suppose you could still stab at a shark with a knife. I dunno. I kinda liked that you had to be wary of them and avoid them at all costs, and was disappointed that health regenerated right after fighting one.

Sure, slashing with a couple of swords wouldn't be feasible but stabbing with a knife while underwater is totally do-able.

Without the health regen, I wouldn't be making it very far in those missions! LOL

xx-pyro
11-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Sure, slashing with a couple of swords wouldn't be feasible but stabbing with a knife while underwater is totally do-able.

Without the health regen, I wouldn't be making it very far in those missions! LOL

Yeah, but personally the way they had it worked out fine (no weapons), made you want to use the bushes and not just go right through the sharks line of sight. To each their own I suppose :p

I just have this awful image in my head of Edward going diving with a knife and killing every shark in the area, which would really annoy me were it possible.

luckyto
11-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Hidden Blades - if you did have weapons (I kind of like not having them) - would be the only thing you should have.

TorQue1988
11-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Yeah, but personally the way they had it worked out fine (no weapons), made you want to use the bushes and not just go right through the sharks line of sight. To each their own I suppose :p

I just have this awful image in my head of Edward going diving with a knife and killing every shark in the area, which would really annoy me were it possible.
I was thinking more along the lines of having a knife / spear and using it only to defend yourself, like stabbing a shark in the gills when he's charging at you. But not swimming around, hunting and killing every shark in sight.

xx-pyro
11-12-2013, 09:18 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of having a knife / spear and using it only to defend yourself, like stabbing a shark in the gills when he's charging at you. But not swimming around, hunting and killing every shark in sight.

I know but it would be silly to be able to fend off continuous shark attacks, I prefer it the way it is where you have to avoid them at all costs.

EaglePrince25
11-13-2013, 05:27 AM
It was amazing. The amount of detail in the underwater environment is very impressive. Only gripe is that you couldn't do anything against the sharks, but that makes sense as you're an unarmed human male.

MnemonicSyntax
11-13-2013, 05:42 AM
As you go into deeper water, the pressure is obviously increased. The point is, it's pretty hard to swing with a knife while underwater like that. Stabbing straight out might be better, and a spear would probably just get it's end bitten off.

Of course, this is in a world where it's perfectly fine to fall 50 feet in the air while landing in between two fellas at 9.8 meters per second squared, dual letter openers at the ready.

I'm all for a weapon though, and while a spear or a knife would suit me fine, I can see why it wasn't included. Edward supposedly goes deeper than a lot of beginner and intermediate SCUBA divers go, according to my brother anyway, who does that for a living.

shadowwildsky
11-13-2013, 05:42 AM
wish there was more areas to dive, maybe in future, knife or spear to kill shark would be ok, then if i lived i could least skin the shark, or die from another shark while trying to skin, more strategy needed for where you kill to prevent that, like i say maybe in future

hamNdoritos
11-13-2013, 06:11 AM
absolutely hate how you're defenseless against the sharks. It makes you not even want to explore the underwater anymore. The jellyfish stings and the urchin barbs are great, and the eels that hides and attacks you when you're close by and then LEAVES once its done attacking you. But what the hell is up with the shark infested area. Theres like 8 sharks surrounding 2 treasures and not enough reefs to hide. It honestly pisses me off where I just went and did all the diving missions altogether just to get it over with and never have to deal with it again. I understand 1 shark or 2 sharks, but its crazy when you got like 4 sharks attacking you one after another just because you gotta get an animus fragment thats nowhere near the reefs. And the difficulty swimming doesn't help either.If you're going to have so many sharks attack you, at least give us the option to hit correct buttons and dodge it like the wolves/bears/elks in AC3. They don't give you enough health or air for you to avoid these sharks and still search underwater for treason and fragments.

I also have been terrified of sharks since I was a little kid due to a traumatizing event. So every time i get noticed and attacked by a shark in the game, I have a little anxiety attack. Once I return back to the ship, my controller is all soaked with sweat. And because of how mad the sharks make me underwater, I start harpooning **** loads of sharks. Strictly sharks.

roostersrule2
11-13-2013, 06:46 AM
They're alright.

Sharks are kind of annoying.

SenseHomunculus
11-13-2013, 04:01 PM
absolutely hate how you're defenseless against the sharks. It makes you not even want to explore the underwater anymore. The jellyfish stings and the urchin barbs are great, and the eels that hides and attacks you when you're close by and then LEAVES once its done attacking you. But what the hell is up with the shark infested area. Theres like 8 sharks surrounding 2 treasures and not enough reefs to hide. It honestly pisses me off where I just went and did all the diving missions altogether just to get it over with and never have to deal with it again. I understand 1 shark or 2 sharks, but its crazy when you got like 4 sharks attacking you one after another just because you gotta get an animus fragment thats nowhere near the reefs. And the difficulty swimming doesn't help either.If you're going to have so many sharks attack you, at least give us the option to hit correct buttons and dodge it like the wolves/bears/elks in AC3. They don't give you enough health or air for you to avoid these sharks and still search underwater for treason and fragments.

I also have been terrified of sharks since I was a little kid due to a traumatizing event. So every time i get noticed and attacked by a shark in the game, I have a little anxiety attack. Once I return back to the ship, my controller is all soaked with sweat. And because of how mad the sharks make me underwater, I start harpooning **** loads of sharks. Strictly sharks.

I'm not the most coordinated controller user, even I'm able to survive the sharks without getting killed off (yet). I assumed I'd have trouble with it from the start but that hasn't been the case. I'm sure in your heightened state of anxiety it's no doubt very problematic for you, I feel for you. They should have at least a knife, he would not have gone down totally unarmed.

AstusOz
11-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Some sort of defense would have been neat but a toning down of their aggressiveness would have been good too. Sharks are generally curious and not as vicious as portrayed in the game or in the general media even.

I would have loved to been able to soak up the underwater scenes but I found myself rushing from each chest to each other chest, or animus piece, because of the constant threat.

SenseHomunculus
11-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Edward supposedly goes deeper than a lot of beginner and intermediate SCUBA divers go, according to my brother anyway, who does that for a living.

It doesn't seem like he goes extraordinarily deep; not sure what the depths of those wreck areas are IRL. However, free-divers descent hundreds of feet with only what's in their lungs. He's not breathing compressed air, just surface air (at depth) so he wouldn't have any out-gassing upon ascent and no danger of the bends. The game scenario is entirely realistic in its representation of how early diving was done using bells.

hamNdoritos
11-13-2013, 06:26 PM
It doesn't seem like he goes extraordinarily deep; not sure what the depths of those wreck areas are IRL. However, free-divers descent hundreds of feet with only what's in their lungs. He's not breathing compressed air, just surface air (at depth) so he wouldn't have any out-gassing upon ascent and no danger of the bends. The game scenario is entirely realistic in its representation of how early diving was done using bells.

In my opinion, Edward goes in pretty deep. I don't know if you played all the diving missions yet like I did just to get them over with. But theres no way Edward goes down and explore caves too. How would a real diver WITHOUT diving equipment, explore an underwater cave and know if there's going to be air holes inside those caves.

Some sort of defense would have been neat but a toning down of their aggressiveness would have been good too. Sharks are generally curious and not as vicious as portrayed in the game or in the general media even.

I would have loved to been able to soak up the underwater scenes but I found myself rushing from each chest to each other chest, or animus piece, because of the constant threat.

Exactly what i mean. If realistically, Edward knows the underwaters are shark infested, he would be smart to carry a small knife for defense purposes. And as you said, because of how the constant threat of 5-8 sharks swimming around, you are unable to actually enjoy and explore the wonderful details of being underwater. They should make it where a shark will only attack if you swim near it like the eels do. But they made it where the sharks have super vision (or smell in real life) and attack you at the sight of you from pretty far away.

SenseHomunculus
11-13-2013, 08:13 PM
In my opinion, Edward goes in pretty deep. I don't know if you played all the diving missions yet like I did just to get them over with. But theres no way Edward goes down and explore caves too. How would a real diver WITHOUT diving equipment, explore an underwater cave and know if there's going to be air holes inside those caves.

Well... it IS a video game after all. :p And the air pockets are on his map so they are known... by someone.

If the cutscene showing the bell submerging is assumed to be showing the entire process, it's not that deep. It plunges down out of the frame to start, and then in the next angle enters the frame and stops short of the bottom. That looks like, I dunno, maybe 50 or 60 feet, assuming there's not an intervening 10 more seconds of descent they're not showing in the cutscene. It's fairly bright when he's at the bottom and you can see how big the ship is at the surface, so I don't think he's supposed to be all that deep.

xx-pyro
11-13-2013, 10:30 PM
I enjoyed it because it was the most difficult part of the game, something I thought most people here wanted in future AC games.

FrankieSatt
11-13-2013, 10:36 PM
The underwater is completely frustrating and I for one won't do any more ship wrecks unless I need to get a plan for something.

Not giving us the ability to defend ourselves and kill the sharks with a knife makes the underwater very frustrating.

It was a very poor design on the dev teams part.

pots5555
11-13-2013, 11:27 PM
Or seeing a huge whale swim by... awesomeness.

True. I love it when it happens.

TheDanteEX
11-14-2013, 02:36 AM
I love when you're in the cave air pockets. Being able to go underwater seamlessly. And it still counts as hiding from guards. I really hope the next AC game has this feature, assuming there isn't a huge ocean this time around.

hamNdoritos
11-14-2013, 05:03 AM
I enjoyed it because it was the most difficult part of the game, something I thought most people here wanted in future AC games.

why would they make swimming and the underwaters the most difficult part of the game? last i recall, it's an Assassin's game, not Divers 2k14.

MnemonicSyntax
11-14-2013, 05:09 AM
I think.. and let me just speak for Pyro here, but if I'm wrong, they can correct me... it's difficult because you're literally out of your element. You have no weapons, you're not on land, your ability to dodge and counter is gone, and you also have to fight to get oxygen at times.

That's how I can see it's difficult, at least in my opinion. But it's fun too. Highly enjoyed it.

xx-pyro
11-14-2013, 05:19 AM
why would they make swimming and the underwaters the most difficult part of the game? last i recall, it's an Assassin's game, not Divers 2k14.

I'm not saying it SHOULD be the most difficult part of the game, I'm saying that I'm happy that a part of the game IS difficult. You have to balance distances versus amount of oxygen available while planning your route according to the air pockets available, and to top it off avoid the sharks. It's the least handholdy and most unforgiving part of the game and I love it, the only improvement I would make it to make it so you don't regenerate health.

SneakierNote
11-14-2013, 05:23 AM
Thank you guys for posting your thoughts, experiences, suggestions and your opinions here. I have read EVERYONES post here. This is one of the first posts I made that you guys actually seem to enjoy talking about, .I have recieved three people asking me to friend them thats a record for me. I am still kinda new to the Ubisoft boards . I am guessing mabe someone from the development team of AC 4 has read your guys and girls : ) suggestions here and might take them into consideration in future AC games.

You want to see some really cool deep sea graphics without the worrie of sharks? I would suggest doing TREASURE MAP 55.178. You just have to go to that location use the Diving Bell and dig it up at the spot it shows you. There are just some Jelly Fish you have to watch out for but you can relax and enjoy the awsome graphics while digging up your chest. I forget WHERE I got the actual map tho for this treasure, I am sure one of you AC4 experts will know tho. ( : >

Thank you all again for your effort and most of all your precious time for posting your Deep Sea ideas here. If you think of anything else no matter how small a idea it is let us know. Sometimes the biggest change in a game comes from a idea no one thought would work, my point is you just never know!

SenseHomunculus
11-18-2013, 01:32 AM
For those who asked about diving more leisurely without being harassed by sharks, the Devil's Eye Caverns wreck at 487,357 has no sharks! Trying to get that last treasure chest is a PITA though! :p

SneakierNote
11-18-2013, 04:12 AM
LoL Tee thanks for the info, I will check it out.

Sigv4rd
11-18-2013, 04:52 AM
Definitely keep the underwater gameplay for AC5!

SneakierNote
11-18-2013, 04:58 AM
Yeah I hope we will get some more Deep Sea stuff to do in Freedom Cry mabe?

Manabloom84
12-08-2013, 06:07 AM
Majority of my friends doesn't like the dive missions with sharks on it. is not that their OP is just that certain dive locations have unnecessary amount of sharks and far too fewer seaweed patches or burst beams. I sometime rage when I get bitten and the game has the audacity to insult me with the seaweed pop up tip when the nearest ******* seaweed patch is 60m away from me.

AngryRaisin
12-08-2013, 06:55 AM
I loved the diving missions. It definitely took me quite a few to get used to it but I got better and then fell in love. The shark-infested ones can be a PITA but if you get more skilled they're not so bad. I do wish we had a knife to fight back with and also a way to hide from the sharks when higher up in the water—they are as annoying as the rooftop gunners in AC4!

I hope the diving missions stay in future games as they were an awesome environment. And things like whales singing and swimming overhead were epic. And let's not forget the Antocha Easter Egg!

DarktheMagister
12-08-2013, 12:36 PM
If they'd have opened it up to more exploration and possibly some dive hunting...then yeah. But as it stands I didn't really get a nice feel for it since I always felt pressed for time and dodging JAWS left and right.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-08-2013, 08:34 PM
NBH they are my least fav part...if there were no sharks - eels - or jelly fish then id love them :D

SixKeys
12-08-2013, 08:55 PM
They were nice for variety, but the controls were garbage. I would love it if they tweaked the swimming to be almost as smooth as running on land, think of the potential.

STDlyMcStudpants
12-08-2013, 10:59 PM
They were nice for variety, but the controls were garbage. I would love it if they tweaked the swimming to be almost as smooth as running on land, think of the potential.

Yeah i also noticed it was not as responsive as it could be...I wouldnt have minded if they used motion control....or the dive button working the whole time instead of after you grab air lol