PDA

View Full Version : Why they removed blending animations?

deadlyh1tAC
11-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Hey everyone!
I have seen this post before but no one said why they removed the blending animations! it looked great on Ac 3 and i can't understand why they removed them!

pacmanate
11-12-2013, 09:50 AM
No one knows, I also want to know why rock climbing was removed.

deadlyh1tAC
11-12-2013, 10:59 AM
well the blending animations looked amazing for me i loved them! rock climbing wasn't that necesarry on Ac black flag!

hamNdoritos
11-12-2013, 01:57 PM
it was weird because during one of the trailers where Edward trails a guy into the woods, he interacts and blends in with the crowd whenever the guy turned around in suspicion. In the trailer, Edward knelt down and gambled with some pirates and then also talked to the ladies. But during the real mission, he just walks and looks like an idiot, standing up in the middle of a crowd thats sitting down and you're looking at your target and he looks at you. But because you're "blended", he doesn't notice.

pirate1802
11-12-2013, 02:06 PM
it was weird because during one of the trailers where Edward trails a guy into the woods, he interacts and blends in with the crowd whenever the guy turned around in suspicion. In the trailer, Edward knelt down and gambled with some pirates and then also talked to the ladies. But during the real mission, he just walks and looks like an idiot, standing up in the middle of a crowd thats sitting down and you're looking at your target and he looks at you. But because you're "blended", he doesn't notice.

Its not realllly weird if you know Ubisoft's habits. :rolleyes:

roostersrule2
11-12-2013, 02:44 PM
it was weird because during one of the trailers where Edward trails a guy into the woods, he interacts and blends in with the crowd whenever the guy turned around in suspicion. In the trailer, Edward knelt down and gambled with some pirates and then also talked to the ladies. But during the real mission, he just walks and looks like an idiot, standing up in the middle of a crowd thats sitting down and you're looking at your target and he looks at you. But because you're "blended", he doesn't notice.Actually in the game he does sit down, but he never talks, it's the only blend animation the game.

Sushiglutton
11-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Must have been technical reasons or lack of time. I can't imagine they thought it was a bad feature.

MnemonicSyntax
11-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Actually in the game he does sit down, but he never talks, it's the only blend animation the game.

No, he also crouches down with the pirates, but doesn't say or do anything other than that. And, it only happens in that level of the game I believe, but he does in fact kneel down to "mingle" with the pirate crew.

roostersrule2
11-12-2013, 02:58 PM
No, he also crouches down with the pirates, but doesn't say or do anything other than that. And, it only happens in that level of the game I believe, but he does in fact kneel down to "mingle" with the pirate crew.Yes, I was talking about that one particular mission, you said he doesn't sit down haha

hamNdoritos
11-12-2013, 09:21 PM
oh haha, when I played the mission. He sits down on the bench and acts like he's a statue. And when i moved into the crowd of pirates that were kneeling down and gambling, Edward just stood there in the middle sticking out like a sore thumb but he was grey so that means he was "blended". In my opinion, theres a lot of things that aren't fluid in this game.

Landruner
11-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Must have been technical reasons or lack of time. I can't imagine they thought it was a bad feature.

Those AC's demos made for E3 are scripted most of the time and they do not represent the real gameplay in the retail product (They usually run on PC even the are supposed to run for a console) - Ubisoft did that a lot of those especially since ACR and most the time people are disappointed because they don't represent the retail product.

Kagurra
11-12-2013, 09:53 PM

Like I've said before in other threads, they could've cut this out of current-gen versions because of the need of memory for other features. These animations, along with better AI could be present in PC and next-gen releases.

Landruner
11-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Like I've said before in other threads, they could've cut this out of current-gen versions because of the need of memory for other features. These animations, along with better AI could be present in PC and next-gen releases.

No they won't those demos were made for E3 - Read above I explain it.

Kagurra
11-12-2013, 10:23 PM
No they won't those demos were made for E3 - Read above I explain it.

Those demos were also on PS4.

There's no way of knowing until it comes out. And even if those specific animations aren't there, other things still apply.

Landruner
11-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Those demos were also on PS4.

There's no way of knowing until it comes out. And even if those specific animations aren't there, other things still apply.

No all the demos presented on any E3 event run on PC not on console - Even they present it with a console, they don't - That is the magic of illusion ... Even you see someone playing, the demos are scripted and on a trail & usually run of a PC.

I saw it running on PS4 for review, you have better graphic, effects & render etcetera , but all those gameplay details you mentioned and some others mentioned in their posts are not there... It is basically the same as the PS3 & 360 with better graphics and render....Alas & Sorry.

xx-pyro
11-12-2013, 10:45 PM
As disappointed as I am by the removal of those features, it makes a bit of sense contextually. The ones in the stealth demo where he's with his crew and Blackbeard before being fired upon actually DO occur in game, which sort of makes sense as he's among his own kind so it's not weird for him to be joining their conversations etc. I think they need to include ones in cities where he's at market stalls or something and begins to converse with the vendor, because that makes sense contextually too.

Him walking up to a random group of people and waving his arms making conversation does not make sense at all, and those blending animations seeing the chopping block is not a downgrade in my eyes.

Kagurra
11-12-2013, 10:51 PM
No all the demos presented on any E3 event run on PC not on console - Even they present it with a console, they don't - That is the magic of illusion ...

I saw it running on PS4 for review, you have better graphic, effects and render etcetera, but all those gameplay details you mentioned and some others mentioned in their posts are not there... It is basically the same as PS3 & 360 with better graphics and render....Alas & Sorry.

Don't know where you're getting this information from, I don't really see any sources. And yeah, the gameplay shown at e3 and whatnot is on PC, (everything I said still applies) but the gameplay videos they released before launch were on PS4, so that's where I got that from. I don't understand how you don't see what I'm talking about. Graphics will be improved, but because of the vastly improved hardware they'll have much more memory to work with versus the current-gen old hardware... which when you look at it, it's really bad.

If they can do everything game developers have been doing with the kinda crappy hardware, imagine what they can do with the new stuff. It's not just a graphics boost. They didn't just put in a new graphics card. Having less resources needed for the ocean, or the weather, or whatever it is means more resources go to features they couldn't fit into current-gen. Some people have said themselves on the forum that there are things that are better in AC3 than AC4, and this is the explanation. And this doesn't just apply to Black Flag, but any future ACs that are still on current-gen, which I hope isn't all of them. It just holds the game back.

Kagurra
11-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Him walking up to a random group of people and waving his arms making conversation does not make sense at all, and those blending animations seeing the chopping block is not a downgrade in my eyes.

Agreed. Those were really silly looking in AC3 and I don't understand why some people miss them.

Landruner
11-12-2013, 11:04 PM
As disappointed as I am by the removal of those features, it makes a bit of sense contextually. The ones in the stealth demo where he's with his crew and Blackbeard before being fired upon actually DO occur in game, which sort of makes sense as he's among his own kind so it's not weird for him to be joining their conversations etc. I think they need to include ones in cities where he's at market stalls or something and begins to converse with the vendor, because that makes sense contextually too.

[Not attacking you this time:cool:] I agree with what you said above, and I believe that they wanted to present the new character as relaxed and vivid as possible with the praise of what it is possible to render with a [PS4] since they were using that demo for Sony. However; those demos are just promotional demos and are scripted for the show... I know it will have been cool to see that in game, but alas, it is not the case. Like I said most of the time, people are disappointed to see that the final product does not meet the expectations seeing in the Demos. Ubisoft is especially known for doing this with this franchise, but that are not the only company that does that too. Alas...

Kagurra
11-12-2013, 11:12 PM
[Not attacking you this time:cool:] I agree with what you said above, and I believe that they wanted to present the new character as relaxed and vivid as possible with the praise of what it is possible to render with a [PS4] since they were using that demo for Sony. However; those demos are just promotional demos and are scripted for the show... I know it will have been cool to see that in game, but alas, it is not the case. Like I said most of the time, people are disappointed to see that the final product does not meet the expectations seeing in the Demos. Ubisoft is especially known for doing this with this franchise, but that are not the only company that does that too. Alas...

Well IN THEORY those animations have been fully developed and would be possible to add in to the next-gen versions. But I know they totally most likely are not, but food for thought.

Landruner
11-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Don't know where you're getting this information from, I don't really see any sources. And yeah, the gameplay shown at e3 and whatnot is on PC, (everything I said still applies) but the gameplay videos they released before launch were on PS4, so that's where I got that from. I don't understand how you don't see what I'm talking about. Graphics will be improved, but because of the vastly improved hardware they'll have much more memory to work with versus the current-gen old hardware... which when you look at it, it's really bad.

If they can do everything game developers have been doing with the kinda crappy hardware, imagine what they can do with the new stuff. It's not just a graphics boost. They didn't just put in a new graphics card. Having less resources needed for the ocean, or the weather, or whatever it is means more resources go to features they couldn't fit into current-gen. Some people have said themselves on the forum that there are things that are better in AC3 than AC4, and this is the explanation. And this doesn't just apply to Black Flag, but any future ACs that are still on current-gen, which I hope isn't all of them. It just holds the game back.

You do not have to believe me, I can't tell you more, JUST get the game ON ps4 and you will see if I was full of it or not... but I would not post something on an Ubisoft forum unless I don't know what I am talking about, That demos that you guys referred above was there for the Sony PS4 show case at E3, and was running on PC, it is all I can't tell you.

Landruner
11-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Well IN THEORY those animations have been fully developed and would be possible to add in to the next-gen versions. But I know they totally most likely are not, but food for thought.

Okay...believe what you want, I do not want to make you change your mind, I was just trying to explain to you perhaps something I should not be delivering on that forum?

Kagurra
11-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Okay...believe what you want, I do not want to make you change your mind, I was just trying to explain to you perhaps something I should not be delivering on that forum?

You misunderstand, in that post I wasn't saying they are in the game on next-gen. I just said in theory it's technically possible for them to do it, although I doubt they actually have in this specific instance.

Landruner
11-12-2013, 11:57 PM
You misunderstand, in that post I wasn't saying they are in the game on next-gen. I just said in theory it's technically possible for them to do it, although I doubt they actually have in this specific instance.

Ah okay, my mistake and sorry for misunderstanding your post, yes absolutely you are right, it is possible to do such vivid interaction with NPCs such it is presented in those demos. Yes it is possible to do that and perhaps they will do that later for the next franchise entries?

Kagurra
11-13-2013, 01:34 AM
Ah okay, my mistake and sorry for misunderstanding your post, yes absolutely you are right, it is possible to do such vivid interaction with NPCs such it is presented in those demos. Yes it is possible to do that and perhaps they will do that later for the next franchise entries?

Possibly. But yeah, it's obviously possible because they did it for that demo.

Landruner
11-13-2013, 02:05 AM

Ye,s but I said it was scripted for the need of the demo(s) and commercial purpose, but you are right with the tech present now, they may give the same render and interaction with NPCs. (But they did not for that entry even on XBONE or PS4 or PC versions, sorry I sincerely wished they had)

Kagurra
11-13-2013, 02:19 AM
Ye,s but I said it was scripted for the need of the demo(s) and commercial purpose, but you are right with the tech present now, they may give the same render and interaction with NPCs. (But they did not for that entry even on XBONE or PS4 or PC versions, sorry I sincerely wished they had)

Would be cool, but I'd rather some other features to be generally improved before they do that. I can see something like that in the next AC game though.

But more on topic, I still think it was a good decision to remove some of the blending animations that were in AC3. They were just silly.

I did like the ones where you would lean up against the wall with a couple dudes or something like that, but that sort of thing is still in the game, along with specific assassination moves and all. Like in a gameplay vid I saw Edward assassinate one of two brothers while blending at a bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_gqrF3BjYo - 1:54

Also in that video I didn't see the crowd around Edward go black and white like somebody said they did on the forum earlier.

Landruner
11-13-2013, 02:24 AM

Yes, but I said earlier it was scripted for the need of the demo(s) and commercial purpose, but you are right with the "tech" around now, they may give the same render and interaction with NPCs, it is possible. (But they did not for that entry even on XBONE or PS4 or PC versions, sorry I sincerely wished they had)

hamNdoritos
11-13-2013, 05:37 AM
Would be cool, but I'd rather some other features to be generally improved before they do that. I can see something like that in the next AC game though.

But more on topic, I still think it was a good decision to remove some of the blending animations that were in AC3. They were just silly.

I did like the ones where you would lean up against the wall with a couple dudes or something like that, but that sort of thing is still in the game, along with specific assassination moves and all. Like in a gameplay vid I saw Edward assassinate one of two brothers while blending at a bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_gqrF3BjYo - 1:54

Also in that video I didn't see the crowd around Edward go black and white like somebody said they did on the forum earlier.

Have you played this mission yet? Those are just early gameplay demos and is not exactly how it goes down during the game. I've played that assassination contract and you do not get to walk up to your targets like that unnoticed and not alert them. During the real gameplay mission, there are plenty of guards surrounding the target as well as a restricted area highlight around the target, so you can't just waltz right in and kill one of the target like it was shown in that demo.

Another thing, that map to Misteriosa is not even located on an uncharted island. Those are treasure maps and usually placed at a bigger location than just a random small island. Also, when you find a treasure map, its not even as easy as the map telling you where the buried treasure is. It doesn't say Misteriosa, it just gives you longitude and latitude coordinates and you have to find exactly where it is.

SO moral of the story, gameplay demos are just demos and a lie to get you see how cool the game COULD be. But when you get it, its not as fluid and it's glitchy as fk.

Kagurra
11-13-2013, 05:42 AM
Have you played this mission yet? Those are just early gameplay demos and is not exactly how it goes down during the game. I've played that assassination contract and you do not get to walk up to your targets like that unnoticed and not alert them. During the real gameplay mission, there are plenty of guards surrounding the target as well as a restricted area highlight around the target, so you can't just waltz right in and kill one of the target like it was shown in that demo.

Another thing, that map to Misteriosa is not even located on an uncharted island. Those are treasure maps and usually placed at a bigger location than just a random small island. Also, when you find a treasure map, its not even as easy as the map telling you where the buried treasure is. It doesn't say Misteriosa, it just gives you longitude and latitude coordinates and you have to find exactly where it is.

SO moral of the story, gameplay demos are just demos and a lie to get you see how cool the game COULD be. But when you get it, its not as fluid and it's glitchy as fk.

Dude, I've said a bunch of times I don't have the game yet as I'm waiting for next-gen. I thought I'd stop now so I didn't sound to repetitive. I was just using that little clip from a whole open world gameplay demo, so I assumed the mechanics would still be the same. Sure maybe they changed that mission after they released that video, could've been from an earlier build or something.

Just pointing out that you can blend in specific ways and use interesting environmental assassinations like in AC3. Don't tell me they removed it either, it's a clearly fleshed out animation you see at the time I pointed out, why remove that? If in fact it is removed, literally only reason I can think of not enough memory on current-gen. There's no reason they would just throw out that animation they've already made at least on next-gen. That video was on PS4 after all. Like I've also been saying all along...

BATISTABUS
11-13-2013, 05:58 AM
Probably for the same reasons your crew mates don't climb up and down the ratlines like they did in AC3, or why the crouch out of stalking zone feature was removed. They were probably having too many technical problems with it.

hamNdoritos
11-13-2013, 06:03 AM
If by environmental assassinations, you mean where if you're fighting a guard and you're close to a wall, and you counter, you do a special animation with the wall where you jump at the wall and do a flying punch. Then no, they didn't remove that. They DID remove the bar environmental assassination where you waltz up to the bar right next to your target unnoticed and kill him against the counter.

I also don't see where during brawl fights, you get to use the environment objects as weapons like in AC3. For example, when Haytham got into a fight at the bar, he counters by throwing guards into a barrel or throwing them over a table. Doesn't make any sense to develop something that is good and cool but remove it for a future game such as BF.

Kagurra
11-13-2013, 06:07 AM
If by environmental assassinations, you mean where if you're fighting a guard and you're close to a wall, and you counter, you do a special animation with the wall where you jump at the wall and do a flying punch. Then no, they didn't remove that. They DID remove the bar environmental assassination where you waltz up to the bar right next to your target unnoticed and kill him against the counter.

I also don't see where during brawl fights, you get to use the environment objects as weapons like in AC3. For example, when Haytham got into a fight at the bar, he counters by throwing guards into a barrel or throwing them over a table. Doesn't make any sense to develop something that is good and cool but remove it for a future game such as BF.

By environmental assassinations I did mean the bar thing. But not just the bar. There were a bunch of locations like this in AC3, for instance a bunch of dudes leaning up against a wall or sitting on some boxes. You could go into those just like you go sit on a bench, and they also had specific assassination moves just like the bench. Considering they didn't have problems with it in AC3, and it's not in current-gen AC4, it's a memory thing. I guess we'll just see in a week or so. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

shobhit7777777
11-13-2013, 06:16 AM
This is perhaps the ONLY area where BF fails to take in and improve what AC3 introduced.

The blending in animations were fantastic and greatly enhanced the feeling of social stealth. I sincerely hope the next game doesn't miss out on this.

hamNdoritos
11-13-2013, 06:23 AM
its one of the many things that they failed to improve or incorporate it into BF from AC3. They did bring back hiring dancers and thieves (drunk pirates) for helping you blend easier when tailing a target. But being a seasoned AC player, i prefer tailing the target through stealth and environment blending. Just wish they make the blending more fluid. Like when theres a band that plays music, Edward just stands there doing nothing. Have him talk to the people or SOMETHING

Kagurra
11-13-2013, 06:36 AM
its one of the many things that they failed to improve or incorporate it into BF from AC3. They did bring back hiring dancers and thieves (drunk pirates) for helping you blend easier when tailing a target. But being a seasoned AC player, i prefer tailing the target through stealth and environment blending. Just wish they make the blending more fluid. Like when theres a band that plays music, Edward just stands there doing nothing. Have him talk to the people or SOMETHING

I don't mind him standing there doing nothing. Besides, you don't talk when listening to a performance anyways... but I digress. Him just standing there is a lot better than the way it was in AC3 where Connor would just throw his arms up randomly if you were in a group that was talking. That was just silly... Much more likely for a stranger to walk into your group and listen in than to do the same but pretend like he's participating without actually participating.

shobhit7777777
11-13-2013, 08:14 AM
I don't mind him standing there doing nothing. Besides, you don't talk when listening to a performance anyways... but I digress. Him just standing there is a lot better than the way it was in AC3 where Connor would just throw his arms up randomly if you were in a group that was talking. That was just silly... Much more likely for a stranger to walk into your group and listen in than to do the same but pretend like he's participating without actually participating.

Yeah...lets have believable blend animations. Maybe have the character cross his arms and nod once in a while.

Kagurra
11-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Yeah...lets have believable blend animations. Maybe have the character cross his arms and nod once in a while.

Sounds good to me.

Landruner
11-13-2013, 08:23 AM

Anyway even if it is not like the Demos showed at E3, and Edward does not exactly Blend like he does..., it looks nicer and more vivid on PS4, so it would also in XB/one and PC,

Kagurra
11-13-2013, 08:23 AM
Anyway even if it is not like the Demos showed at E3, and Edward does not exactly Blend like he does..., it looks nicer and more vivid on PS4, so it would also in XB/one and PC,

I guess we'll see. :B

shobhit7777777
11-13-2013, 08:29 AM

Are you confirming that next gen and PC have the blend animations?

pacmanate
11-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Don't know where you're getting this information from, I don't really see any sources. And yeah, the gameplay shown at e3 and whatnot is on PC, (everything I said still applies) but the gameplay videos they released before launch were on PS4

... not true.

Kagurra
11-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Don't know where you're getting this information from, I don't really see any sources. And yeah, the gameplay shown at e3 and whatnot is on PC, (everything I said still applies) but the gameplay videos they released before launch were on PS4

... not true.

The one I was talking about specifically, the one that I linked above is PS4.

SixKeys
11-13-2013, 09:04 AM
This is perhaps the ONLY area where BF fails to take in and improve what AC3 introduced.

The blending in animations were fantastic and greatly enhanced the feeling of social stealth. I sincerely hope the next game doesn't miss out on this.

I don't know, personally I felt they were a bit lacking and weren't implemented that well. With some animations it would take forever for Connor to find his position in the blend group, which was really annoying if you were being chased.

The blend animations from the AC4 demo would have been perfect (drinking, pretending to play a game, wooing a lady on a bench). It's a shame they weren't included. They were short, in-character and lively, giving the impression the character was truly blending in. The AC3 ones were all pretty static and relied mostly on Connor finding a conveniently empty spot in the group. Once he was settled, he didn't actually do anything. I wish the devs had been telling the truth when they said we would have blending animations like pretending to paint a house.

Kagurra
11-13-2013, 09:14 AM
The blend animations from the AC4 demo would have been perfect (drinking, pretending to play a game, wooing a lady on a bench). It's a shame they weren't included. They were short, in-character and lively, giving the impression the character was truly blending in. The AC3 ones were all pretty static and relied mostly on Connor finding a conveniently empty spot in the group. Once he was settled, he didn't actually do anything. I wish the devs had been telling the truth when they said we would have blending animations like pretending to paint a house.

Is that technically false-advertising? I'm guessing it isn't and there's some loop-around or little text that popped up during that demo.

SixKeys
11-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Is that technically false-advertising? I'm guessing it isn't and there's some loop-around or little text that popped up during that demo.

Usually the excuse is something like "a stage demo is not meant to be representative of actual gameplay but rather the atmosphere and general feel of the game", which sure sounds like BS to me. People get all excited about things that look like new gameplay features (interactive blend animations, random quests) and when the final game doesn't deliver, Ubisoft simply claims the demo was meant to be more of a tech demo anyway.

Farlander1991
11-13-2013, 09:22 AM
All stage demos take place in a linear controlled environment. The game itself, though, is not in a linear controlled environment. Ergo, tons of problems may (and will) come out and the inclusion of the feature depends on if there will be enough time to fix that and what priority it is. Of course the devs WANT that stuff to be in, that's why they show it in the first place, and by their plans and schedule it's going to be in, but you never know what **** is gonna happen.

deadlyh1tAC
11-13-2013, 09:35 AM

well i dont agree on that! if you were the target in real life would you notice some one just standing there and do nothing or some one who actually talks with some one? and when you hear a conversation they could just make all the blending animations without edward talking! i loved that blending animations and in feature titles i want to see them again!

Landruner
11-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Are you confirming that next gen and PC have the blend animations?

Well, it depends why you expect? - If it is like the ones showed in the E3 demos and that people are referring there, I confirm it is not really like that at all. You still have the grey, with the effects and sounds, and Edward does not really interact with the people he blends with like it is showed in those videos. It is pretty much like the same gameplay that the current gen, but with better looking.
BTW, Check online, you certainly already have some people releasing gameplay footages for the PC versions with the latest graphic cards, you can get an idea.

Landruner
11-13-2013, 11:00 AM

Yes and No, like SixKeys mentions those videos or stage demos are made for promotional purposes, they actually demo tech what it could be possible to do or render with the technology, but they never represent to final product(s), they are scripted and usually build on a trail. Like I tried to tell you, the magic of the illusion, video gaming industry is like cinema and TV industry now.

SixKeys
11-13-2013, 04:14 PM
I still think it's dishonest. I think most of us are familiar with what happened with Aliens: Colonial Marines. The demo was NOTHING like the final game. IMO a demo should accurately reflect the final product as much as possible. In TLoU E3 demo, when I saw how helpful Ellie seemed and how intelligent the enemies were (counting bullets etc.), I was sure it was all scripted. But no, the game delivered on everything we saw in the demo. Sprucing up your demo to something totally different just ends up making your company look untrustworthy. It's one thing to cut minor features that the devs expect will make it into the game, but quite another to deliberately showcase stuff they KNOW won't make it to the game in that form.

TorQue1988
11-13-2013, 04:20 PM
I still think it's dishonest. I think most of us are familiar with what happened with Aliens: Colonial Marines. The demo was NOTHING like the final game. IMO a demo should accurately reflect the final product as much as possible. In TLoU E3 demo, when I saw how helpful Ellie seemed and how intelligent the enemies were (counting bullets etc.), I was sure it was all scripted. But no, the game delivered on everything we saw in the demo. Sprucing up your demo to something totally different just ends up making your company look untrustworthy. It's one thing to cut minor features that the devs expect will make it into the game, but quite another to deliberately showcase stuff they KNOW won't make it to the game in that form.
Colonial Marines was a disaster. Those guys should be sued for false advertising.
But anyway, it appears that this crap happens for most games lately. Bioshock Infinite (though a great game) was very different that it looked in the first demo.

MnemonicSyntax
11-13-2013, 04:26 PM

After my target would turn a corner, I would throw down some coin for the poor fellas that let me join in on their conversation uninvited.

I dunno, acting like you're talking instead of just standing there is far more "realistic" to me, but I get your point.

Landruner
11-13-2013, 04:49 PM

I know it is somewhat dishonest, but it is what actually happens - that is marketing & show & money business. Ubisoft was showcasing for AC4 but also for Sony/PS4 as well, and some other were doing the same for different games and console - For Alien Colonial the story was actually that the demo was build on an engine for being showcased, but the game was build on a different one.
Of course, when people are complaining about it, well, you have always the smarter ones that are going to tell them that that they just blinded idiots to believe into what they saw at E3 and post E3 because it is pure marketing business, or still the gameplay footages presented that still are just made for gameplay purposes and are not technically the same in the games.
For AC4 it was actually a different story, a lot of people did not want to believe into their demos or gameplay footages without seeing the retail product first. They did the same with the AC3 showcase(s), so when you see that once, you have some reserves for the next one. Even if it had to be on next gen consoles it was not going to make a huge improvement in the gameplay neither. That is sad, but that is how the video game industry works now - BS & Money.

TheArcaneEagle
11-13-2013, 07:17 PM
I see it as a minor issue to be honest. Although I do miss it, I don't think it was game changing. I think they added it in for the nostalgia for fans of ACII-ACR when the grey blending colours were in the game and the animations were not in the game. Ashraf mentioned that they brought back many ideas and concept ideas from ACII like the similar health meter and the blending colours seemed to be among the ones they brought back and the animations were removed.

phoenix-force411
11-13-2013, 08:26 PM
I really want blending animations to be unique and get rid of the black and white effect. It ruins everything.

TorQue1988
11-13-2013, 08:41 PM
I really want blending animations to be unique and get rid of the black and white effect. It ruins everything.
Completely agree. I hate that effect because it breaks immersion. They should focus on making more subtle, less intrusive effects and HUDs from now on.

Kagurra
11-13-2013, 09:42 PM
The black and white sucks. What's wrong with the way it was in AC3 with the little dots on the people's heads?

xx-pyro
11-13-2013, 10:15 PM
The black and white sucks. What's wrong with the way it was in AC3 with the little dots on the people's heads?

It was ugly and having lines jumping across my screen was incredibly irritating, as much as the black & white thing in previous games.

Why don't they just turn the little Assassin dude by your health bar blue whenever you're blended, it's less intrusive and seems simple enough for an idea off the top of my head?

EDIT: Horrific grammar.

Kagurra
11-13-2013, 11:17 PM
It was ugly and having lines jumping across my screen was incredibly irritating, as much as the black & white thing in previous games.

Why don't they just turn the little Assassin dude by your health bar blue whenever you're blended, it's more unintrusive and seems simple enough for an idea off the top of my head?

Seems perfect to me. It's like an improvement of what it was in AC1. I don't think there was anything at all in that game telling you when you were blended, but yeah, this idea would be perfect. I guess they think people are idiots and they need to hold their hand 100% of the time. I'm so sick of hand-holding, especially in 17+ games made for adults. (Besides, COD, we all know they don't aim that game at adults

But I don't get why they changed it in the first place. I'd rather have the lines than the black and white if I had to make a choice between the two.

SixKeys
11-14-2013, 12:45 AM
I always hated the blending "antenna" in AC3, ever since the first gameplay demos, so I'm glad it's gone. The black & white thing doesn't bother me nearly as much. They could still tweak it a little bit, though. In AC1 Alta´r didn't turn monochrome when blending, but this was because you could only blend with two groups of people (scholars and people on benches). It's a struggle to come up with a system that's not visually distracting yet also adequately informs the players when they're blending.

Kagurra
11-14-2013, 12:52 AM
I always hated the blending "antenna" in AC3, ever since the first gameplay demos, so I'm glad it's gone. The black & white thing doesn't bother me nearly as much. They could still tweak it a little bit, though. In AC1 Alta´r didn't turn monochrome when blending, but this was because you could only blend with two groups of people (scholars and people on benches). It's a struggle to come up with a system that's not visually distracting yet also adequately informs the players when they're blending.

I like the one posted above a whole lot. VVVV Somebody should send that to the devs so it doesn't get lost in the forum.

Why don't they just turn the little Assassin dude by your health bar blue whenever you're blended, it's less intrusive and seems simple enough for an idea off the top of my head?

SixKeys
11-14-2013, 01:03 AM
I would like that as well. Problem is the devs seem to use a lot of idiots as their playtesters. In ACB, they had to add red footprints around the Villa because players couldn't find their way back to the hideout. Even despite the fact that the game automatically teleports you there after 10 minutes if you're not back on time. Asking people like that to pay attention to a subtle blending icon in the left corner would probably make their heads explode.

Kagurra
11-14-2013, 01:11 AM
I would like that as well. Problem is the devs seem to use a lot of idiots as their playtesters. In ACB, they had to add red footprints around the Villa because players couldn't find their way back to the hideout. Even despite the fact that the game automatically teleports you there after 10 minutes if you're not back on time. Asking people like that to pay attention to a subtle blending icon in the left corner would probably make their heads explode.

Like I've said before, I'm so tired of this handholding nonsense. It's a Mature rated game ffs. I don't understand how some people, some of which are fully grown adults with somewhat of an education have no observational or problem solving skills whatsoever.

I feel like some people would have trouble with those kiddie mazes at restaurants, while I had a full mazebook made for adults put in front of me at like 4 or 5, and banged them out one after the other just like that. Apparently I could figure some stuff out instantly... maybe that's why I don't understand.

xx-pyro
11-14-2013, 01:16 AM
Quite honestly I wouldn't even mind no indicator. Just having the knowledge that if I'm standing beside 2+ people outside of x range would be fine for me, IF I knew I could count on the system to be well developed enough that it wouldn't be buggy or glitch very often causing me to get spotted.

But as I said before, a subtle indicator isn't a hard thing to create.

Kagurra
11-14-2013, 01:18 AM
Quite honestly I wouldn't even mind no indicator. Just having the knowledge that if I'm standing beside 2+ people outside of x range would be fine for me, IF I knew I could count on the system to be well developed enough that it wouldn't be buggy or glitch very often causing me to get spotted.

But as I said before, a subtle indicator isn't a hard thing to create.

I would say it would be even easier to create than what they have, but we all know they could just copy-paste what they already have and be even lazier.

Landruner
11-14-2013, 01:21 AM

But SixKeys?! Connor is just a character :rolleyes: why do you care if it has antenna? it is just a video game character;) LOL - I am teasing you!
Yep you right, the black in white or grey with those sparkling effects and sounds in AC4 are really annoying -

One thing I did not like in AC3 were those spider webs all over that poor Connor...So, that is scandalous and inacceptable because not only Connor won't have a sequel, but the worst insult they did to him was also put him the spider webs all around him and do that even before tossing him in the dusty oubliettes of the dungeon of the forgotten heroes...(the spider webs, It was already a sign of his future in that franchise I am telling you) :p - LOL

Landruner
11-14-2013, 01:36 AM

Apparently, a friend told me they use some people working in the office(s) in the Ubisoft facilities as playtesters...I don't know if it is true or not, ot if he was serious or not?, but I won't be surprised neither

Kagurra
11-14-2013, 01:42 AM
Apparently, a friend told me they use some people working in the office(s) in the Ubisoft facilities as playtesters...I don't know if it is true or not, ot if he was serious or not?, but I won't be surprised neither

I've read something similar before also.

Landruner
11-14-2013, 01:44 AM
I don't think it is necessary to any longer having the character that needs to let us know if he/she blending or hidden from the guards or not (turning grey having electric sparkle or spider web with a dot about the head), just an animation from the character to let us know that he is blending should be enough and it will look more natural too.

Kagurra
11-14-2013, 02:00 AM
I don't think it is necessary to any longer having the character that needs to let us know if he/she blending or hidden from the guards or not (turning grey having electric sparkle or spider web with a dot about the head), just an animation from the character to let us know that he is blending should be enough and it will look more natural too.

I still like the indicator during blue up in the corner.

phoenix-force411
11-14-2013, 02:07 AM
Be like Altair! Too badazz for a blend group!

tinrisky
11-14-2013, 02:07 AM
Part of the reason why they probably didn't do this feature is because you were ALWAYS allowed to do special assassinations animation from the blend spot in 3, i don't think they had time to implement assassination spots so they took it out. Probably wrong but maybe.