PDA

View Full Version : Collectibles...yay or nay?

Vzmike
11-12-2013, 04:43 AM
I'm just curious if anyone still goes all out to grind and get some if not all of the collectibles (animus fragments, shantys, yada yada)?

Obviously you're going to if you want 100% completion, but I felt that some are starting to lose their luster, and there's too many with not enough reward, if any at all. And some are the complete opposite and way too OP for a game that has always had a very lackluster combat system, like...
The reward for collecting all Mayan stelae, a outfit that stops all gunfire. wut

I'm all for discovering and finding animus fragments, but not if they're small, usually very tiny images that blend in the background, and hold you no real usable reward. I'm more for receiving something that will aid me in some way, that isn't necessary but damn fun to use, like a a new weapon that isn't unlocked by story missions.

Anyone else agree?

AdamPearce
11-12-2013, 04:48 AM
I like useful and not over spammed collectible. Like the Ishack Pasha pages. They were 10 in the map, you had to find'em, it was enough. No need for 54 useless pages.

To date the most awesome collectibles were the Captain Kidd's, really enjoy doing the missions.

But in regard of all the little useless collectibles like feathers, flags, animus fragments or 200f chests, no, never again it's just reducing Map clarity and developement time waste. Cause yeah, you gotta tell yourself that a guy was paid, with money, to place 100 little yellow squares all around the map, for nothing.

Zellzin
11-12-2013, 05:06 AM
Completely agree. No need for things like animus fragments that are just useless grind. I always thought the animus fragments were just "cheap" content. I enjoy the manuscripts and the message in a bottles because they are story driven. Also, I like collectibles that are hidden/difficult to get. Ishack Pasha pages and Mayan Stelaes are great because they offer a reward and have a legitimate reason to collect them.

xx-pyro
11-12-2013, 06:34 AM
AC games do tend to have way too many collectibles, with chests being the main culprit (at least they give you money though). Animus fragments were pretty much useless, flags in previous games were useless, feathers generally useless. Barring chests, there really shouldn't be any collectible with more than 30 of it on the map, even less than that would be better in my opinion. The Mayan Seals were borderline absurd in how many there were for an armour set, but hey at least there was a reward at the end of that grind (and a minigame to boot, simple as it was).

Vzmike
11-12-2013, 07:40 AM
I feel like that's a little feature that could change the game's image in a big way...especially if some of these items were to have their own story arcs behind them linking to a particular person of interest in history, explaining why they used them. Even a minor cutscene with said character's narrative would suffice for me. OR even if there was no reward to be received at least make it an intriguing collection of memoirs hidden throughout cities followed with cinematic re-tellings of these person's lives, gripping and interesting enough to compel the player to search for more.

Example: Francois l'Olonnais, dreadful pirate leader who's most infamous for tearing a heart out of one of his captive's chest, and freaking eating it. I'd love to have heard or seen more from him in this game...

I mean, it's better then collecting dots, right?

MasterfulList53
11-12-2013, 08:01 AM
I didn't like collecting flags in AC1: there were hundreds of them and I could never muster the effort to go and find them all.

However, since Brotherhood there's been a bit of a change to how collectibles work. Instead of aimlessly running around the map hoping you'll have the good fortune to happen upon a collectible, the challenge instead becomes beating a little mini-game to get them, rather than there being any difficulty with locating them. All the collectibles now are easy to find since they are shown on the map, but many will be on a difficult to reach point which makes you have to think about how to get it. There's even the shanties/Franklin's notes which initiate a chase sequence so you can catch them.

The problem for me, if there is one, is that the level of difficulty in obtaining these collectibles is usually too low. There was a collectible on top of a windmill in AC3 that required a fair bit of lateral thinking, but for the most part the climbing puzzles don't present enough of a challenge. The flying collectible chases are usually done well though.

Dragula
11-12-2013, 09:10 AM
see ill collect everything because i want the game to feel finished... no trophy for it this time round though so i might end up giving up if it takes too long lol

Sturnz0r
11-12-2013, 09:16 AM
there are so many outfits, what's one more?

I was hoping getting all of the fragments would get the al mualim cut assassin garment that the colonial assassins wear

Vzmike
11-12-2013, 09:25 AM
I was hoping the fragments would possibly unlock a new armor as well, I was REALLY hoping for a Ezio specific armor just like there was an Altair armor for Ezio in AC2, but when I saw it was nothing it was just disappointing...

This could have been just out of hope for something better, because I think the Templar armor in BF is absolutely lame.

RazorMonkey
11-12-2013, 09:32 AM
see ill collect everything because i want the game to feel finished... no trophy for it this time round though so i might end up giving up if it takes too long lol

What !? You just contradicted yourself so much then bro. Dont quit! and so what if it takes ages to finish? A game is only as good as you are at enjoying it... thing to remember :)

and what do you mean "no trophy for it this time round"??? so what, enjoy it, dont just play to be a trophy *****.

RazorMonkey
11-12-2013, 09:38 AM
I was hoping the fragments would possibly unlock a new armor as well, I was REALLY hoping for a Ezio specific armor just like there was an Altair armor for Ezio in AC2, but when I saw it was nothing it was just disappointing...

This could have been just out of hope for something better, because I think the Templar armor in BF is absolutely lame.
Well post that HERE (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/803791-AC-IV-Black-Flag-Single-Player-GAMEPLAY-Feedback-*Do-NOT-post-SPOILERS*), who knows.. maybe they will add as an updated DLC ;) ;)

Dragula
11-12-2013, 09:39 AM
stopping on each and every little island is a bit annoying, and after i made that comment i thought about initiates, so levelling on there is a good enough reason to 100% sync the game and collect everything for me

pacmanate
11-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Im doing my collectible walkthrough but I am bummed that I won't get anything for it. I swear Ashraf said collectibles gave you something, maybe I made that up.

dxsxhxcx
11-12-2013, 10:05 AM
yay if there's a story attached to them (like the Peg Leg trinkets but IMO they should make these collectibles have a much depper story behind them), nay if they're just there for 100%...

Vzmike
11-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Well post that HERE (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/803791-AC-IV-Black-Flag-Single-Player-GAMEPLAY-Feedback-*Do-NOT-post-SPOILERS*), who knows.. maybe they will add as an updated DLC ;) ;)
That's an awesome post, assuming they actually read it. Just posted.

FrankieSatt
11-12-2013, 02:33 PM
The Animus Fragments and the Shanty's are PURELY 100% USELESS. I don't even bother going out of my way to collect them nor will I ever. The Mayan Stones are worth it just because you actually get something for them.

RinoTheBouncer
11-12-2013, 03:27 PM
I totally agree with you.

Iíve made a thread about this matter a few months back and yeah, I think a lot of collectibles are pointless and trophies as well. Many of them are way too demanding and I think itís a pointless challenge and just a way to prevent you from getting a 100% completion. Collecting stuff that unlock a considerable reward like the Mayan outfit was good for me but collecting stuff that are just there to be gathered is totally pointless for me and I can say the same about repetitive side missions. Iíd rather have something that has a real story value or a nice and entertaining gameplay value rather than just being collectible.

With AC:R, Animus Data Fragments unlocked very nice and new missions with story value, entertaining gameplay and breathtaking design when we gather about 30 or 35 of them. But what about the remaining 70? Theyíre just there to be collected for the sake of one bronze trophy, nothing more and same for ACII feathers. Why 100? they couldíve been 50 or 30 and the same couldíve happened.

Iíd prefer the glyphs that had changing and entertaining puzzles with story value and a good reward over such pointless errands. Iím also against being given a mighty armor or a one-hit-kill weapon after having to go through the game world like 10 times and gain every single upgrade to do so. Like what am I gonna use this mighty armor or deadly weapon for? like in Final Fantasy where you have to beat bosses 10 times harder than the final boss to unlock a deadly weapon, like okay? I got it. What am I gonna kill with it?

Sushiglutton
11-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Collectibles is obviously a very cheap way to increase the amount of content in a game. In general I think it's a very overused feature. When there is little or none finesse to how you obtain the collectibles, there are plenty of them and the rewards are disapointing it can tarnish the entire experience. It's especially stupid in linear games like Tomb Raider. Reason being that collectibles encourage you to explore the borders of the enviroment which make the coulisse-illusion of the world fall apart.

I guess the devs view it as if you don't enjoy it, don't do it. However that is simply not how I experience it. It feels annoying that there is a lot of stuff littered accross the world. I know either I will put in a lot of low quality time to collect them all. Or I won't, making the time I have spent collecting some of them a complete waste.

To me it's much better to go with fewer collectibles, each with a little puzzle asociated with them and some kind of tangible reward. Then you can fill the world with systemic enemy encounters, animals, random events, chests with money and so on instead to reward exploration.

Zellzin
11-12-2013, 04:27 PM
The Animus Fragments and the Shanty's are PURELY 100% USELESS. I don't even bother going out of my way to collect them nor will I ever. The Mayan Stones are worth it just because you actually get something for them.

The shanties are awesome though, they give your crew new songs to sing

Silent Running5
11-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Nay on the collectables that has a large amount and no reward, cept for a checked box.

AstusOz
11-12-2013, 04:55 PM
I didn't mind them. I just wish there was something to show for them. I expected something significant after collecting all the animus pieces and was left disappointed.

twenty_glyphs
11-12-2013, 06:46 PM
In general I like collectibles, because they've always given me a good excuse to explore a game's world. But I do feel like AC4 has too many. The treasure chests have been relatively annoying ever since AC2, though the money is nice. They feel more annoying in AC4 because often Edward ends up climbing on top of them when I'm trying to walk close to them to open them, so I have to fiddle with his position just so I can press the button to open the chest. I don't remember if previous games had that issue, but this is the most annoyed I remember being with them.

My favorite collectible has been the letters in a bottle due to the story insights they provide. The manuscript pages you collect are kind of nice, though rather pointless. I wish there was more to them, like a mystery revealed in each document. I like that each one is guarded, providing a small little stealth opportunity if I feel like it. The pages blowing in the wind was actually a good idea from AC3, and AC4 improves on it by unlocking a new song for the crew to sing. I like that they've put the Animus fragments in places that make you at least think for a second about how you will reach them, which is better than just being on top of a roof. But 200 of them and your only reward is progress toward some cheats that can only be used as a small diversion because you can't save your progress with them on? Rather lame.

The glyphs in AC2 are still the best collectible I've ever seen in a game. There were only 20, so each one felt special. The game prompted you to let you know when one was on a landmark, so you didn't have to search a lot for them, but you did need to explore that building to find the glyph. Finding one presented you with puzzles that were engrossing because they revealed pieces of lore while you were solving the puzzles themselves. Finally, each one gave you a 1 second clip from The Truth video, which was engrossing for me. After a few, I started to realize that we were seeing Adam and Eve and I really wanted to find them all to finish that video. Even AC2's Codex pages felt better than AC4's letters, because you got story and/or intriguing drawings (I miss those drawings since Brotherhood) and it felt rewarding placing each page on the map wall and using Eagle Vision to align them. Those Codex pages also felt more like old documents compared to AC4's letters, because AC4 presents them in the super-glossy Animus with the fancy but too small for comfortable reading 3D text box. Brotherhood's Rifts were a good second place. It was fun "climbing" into them and disappearing from Rome for a few minutes to solve the puzzles. I also loved the final level it unlocked where you got to meet Subject 16.

I don't want them to just duplicate what AC2 did, but I'd like to see collectibles that provide a nice small puzzle to obtain, like finding it on a known building, solving a climbing puzzle or stealthily infiltrating an area. I want them to show progress and that we're building something as we go. Perhaps one set of collectibles reveals a new portion of an image that you have to inspect in Eagle Vision as you find each one, and the final image has a cool revelation. Perhaps a set of collectibles reveals fragments of a map, and finding them all shows you the location of a cool side level with an unlockable armor. Keep them story focused as well. I think the sense of progression and story from finding each collectible makes it more fun and less of a chore, and adds a sense of intrigue. I wanted to keep finding glyphs to see where things were going, not just to check it off a list.

DinoSteve1
11-12-2013, 07:58 PM
I usually like getting collectables but AC4 has way too many, and you get nothing substantial for getting them.

xx-pyro
11-12-2013, 08:22 PM
To be fair when it comes down to it, I'd rather the chests/animus fragments/etc be there than not be there if those were my two choices, but the best scenario would be basically twenty_glyphs' post.