PDA

View Full Version : Things that I didn't like in ACIV... *SPOILERS*

phoenix-force411
11-11-2013, 08:39 AM
I love ACIV: BF, and it's probably one of the best since ACII. I'm still not done with the campaign yet, but there are things that really piss me off in this game than they did in ACIII...

Combat:
-Countering: Still pretty crappy, and you still have to wait for a prompt, but regardless, it's still not as responsive. Taking hits in this game is like a death sentence.-Enemy damage: Pistols and Muskets do a crap load of damage, and sometimes you can't really do anything about it. The damage should be reduced by quite a bit.
-Musket guys: Line of site is hideously far, and sometimes you can't do anything about their gunshots because the game does not warn you about their shots at times.
-The Brutes: Their power swing is super strong and can knock your health to half even when you have a fully upgraded health. Like I said, sometimes the counter system doesn't respond and you take huge amounts of damage.
-Throwing Knives: Very useful, but pity you can only hold one, and you'll be lucky to ever find a throwing knife.
-Reloading your pistol: Why must I waste all of my bullets just to reload?
-Double Counters: Please make this appear more often, because the combat lacks taste and variety and can sometimes get too long.
-Kill animations: Some of Edward's kill animations are way too long including streak kills, and that's what gets him shot.
-Blunderbuss: They are pathetic, and act the same as pistols!
-Auto EVERYTHING!: Basically this game likes to pick things for me! I try to stab someone with a musket, it makes me drop the musket and stab with hidden blade. Same goes for knives and single handed swords!

Blending:
-Blending Animations: Edward has little to no blending animations like Connor did...
-Blending Effect: It still bothers me that they went back to the Ezio Trilogy blending effect where you become black & white. I prefer ACIII's where it wasn't as annoying and it was pretty organic.
-Blend groups: Very obvious unlike ACIII's where it was pretty organic and walking among a large crowd makes you blend.

Eagle Vision:-Kinda got nerfed to its AC1's style, but this time you can move, but not in high profile. If you are ever off the ground once you're knocked out of Eagle Vision. Eagle vision is still the best in ACR.

Naval Combat: -It's unfair that the Jackdaw cannot upgrade its amount of volleys per shot with round shot or heat shot. Man O' Wars and Frigates can shoot 2 to 3 volleys of shots and do tremendous damage while the Jackdaw's is pathetically limited to one...

Jackdaw:
-I was hoping after all of these upgrades, I would become Man O' WAR!!!!

Free-Running:-Can get super annoying and not as accurate as ACIII's. Edward will sometimes target places to jump that he can't even get to, or to places that makes you miss your intended spot by nearly an inch.
-The old grasp system needs to return!!!!!

Fully Sync Requirements:-Makes much more sense than ACIII's, but please don't give full syncs that are Situation based, because those are time consuming and require a lot of "reload last checkpoint".
Bugs:-Please fix the bugs. I'd hate to restart this game over again...

Kagurra
11-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Don't really get the title...

Anyways, they should not reduce the damage. It's stupid getting shot by a 70mm bullet (or however big they are, huge basically compared to modern bullets) and just shrugging it off. Same with strikes from a "heavy".

You should be able to reload at any time like AC3, and you should be able to have more throwing knives.

Never really use eagle vision unless the game says "locate target" and there's a big red circle on the map. I haven't played the game yet, but I don't really get how eagle vision could be that weak if it lets you mark a target and see them through walls without eagle vision. I saw that in a gameplay vid before release, don't know 100% if that's how it works.

Some blending animations were just dumb in AC3. If a dude walks up to you and some other random people talking by a vendor, and all of a sudden starts throwing his hands up in the air like he's having an argument with somebody, all the while not actually saying anything at all or moving his mouth, it looks just terrible and stupid. The way it is now (seems like the way it was in Ezio games) seems fine to me.

Jackdaw is a pirate ship, not a giant military frigate.

But I do agree with the blending effect. I dislike the black and white thing and have no idea why they went back if they did considering it's the same engine from AC3. It was better in AC3, like you said more organic. It was as close as having no effect at all, which is how it was in AC1 I believe, that we're going to get in this hand-holdy era we're in.

GreatBeyonder
11-11-2013, 08:59 AM
My one serious complaint is his ability to treerun, which he should not be able to do in-universe.

Though I wish there were more enemy types like in ACIII. The fighting no longer pauses during counters, but now the enemies are simply far too similar. I no longer have to adapt as often as I did with Connor.

phoenix-force411
11-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Don't really get the title...

Anyways, they should not reduce the damage. It's stupid getting shot by a 70mm bullet (or however big they are, huge basically compared to modern bullets) and just shrugging it off. Same with strikes from a "heavy".

You should be able to reload at any time like AC3, and you should be able to have more throwing knives.

Never really use eagle vision unless the game says "locate target" and there's a big red circle on the map. I haven't played the game yet, but I don't really get how eagle vision could be that weak if it lets you mark a target and see them through walls without eagle vision. I saw that in a gameplay vid before release, don't know 100% if that's how it works.

Some blending animations were just dumb in AC3. If a dude walks up to you and some other random people talking by a vendor, and all of a sudden starts throwing his hands up in the air like he's having an argument with somebody, all the while not actually saying anything at all or moving his mouth, it looks just terrible and stupid. The way it is now (seems like the way it was in Ezio games) seems fine to me.

Jackdaw is a pirate ship, not a giant military frigate.

But I do agree with the blending effect. I dislike the black and white thing and have no idea why they went back if they did considering it's the same engine from AC3. It was better in AC3, like you said more organic. It was as close as having no effect at all, which is how it was in AC1 I believe, that we're going to get in this hand-holdy era we're in.

No you can't reload your pistol at all until you're done with your bullets and then you can reload. Eagle Vision is restricted to only low-profile, simply doing anything high profile will force exit Eagle Vision. Although the Jackdaw is a pirate ship, there's always room for improvement, and a Man O' War seems preferable after all of those expensive upgrades, and it needs more volleys.

The combat is simply too difficult for its own good. Relying on prompts is pretty lame and it lacks freedom and adds more restriction to combat. Damage is severely high when you take gun shots or axe to the face.

phoenix-force411
11-11-2013, 09:04 AM
My one serious complaint is his ability to treerun, which he should not be able to do in-universe.

Though I wish there were more enemy types like in ACIII. The fighting no longer pauses during counters, but now the enemies are simply far too similar. I no longer have to adapt as often as I did with Connor.

I really liked how things work for combat in ACIII, but yeah, ACIV's archetypes aren't too different, but the captains/generals are annoying along with musket guys. I don't like this game doing the work for me. The slow-mo is still there, but it's been significantly reduced. I never really liked the extended slow-mo, they were very time consuming.

Kagurra
11-11-2013, 09:04 AM

Wait why shouldn't he be able to run on tree branches? He's basically a master at other forms of freerunning. City, ruins, even pirate ship masts. I don't see why he shouldn't run on some trees.

xx-pyro
11-11-2013, 09:05 AM

Why would a sailor, who can climb up masts on ships, not be able to climb a measly tree? Just because Connor did it doesn't mean others can't haha. I agree with the enemy types though, wish they had a few more.

As for the OP, the Jackdaw upgrades are fine, I'm disappointed that the elite ones are kind of metallic but whatever, and you're not a Man-O-War you shouldn't be able to fight like one. As for combat being too difficult, I think you just need to play a bit more because AC is one of the easier series out there to master.

phoenix-force411
11-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Why would a sailor, who can climb up masts on ships, not be able to climb a measly tree? Just because Connor did it doesn't mean others can't haha. I agree with the enemy types though, wish they had a few more.

As for the OP, the Jackdaw upgrades are fine, I'm disappointed that the elite ones are kind of metallic but whatever, and you're not a Man-O-War you shouldn't be able to fight like one. As for combat being too difficult, I think you just need to play a bit more because AC is one of the easier series out there to master.
Oh, it's easy. I've mastered AC1's and AC2's. AC2's being the most dullest combat system out there. ACIII and ACIV's combat just relies to much on prompts that sometimes don't respond or don't show up.

Kagurra
11-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Oh, it's easy. I've mastered AC1's and AC2's. AC2's being the most dullest combat system out there. ACIII and ACIV's combat just relies to much on prompts that sometimes don't respond or don't show up.

Agreed, AC2's weakest point is it's combat. AC:B had some good combat. And I was never a fan of the new countering system introduced in AC3, like you said too prompt-y.

phoenix-force411
11-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Agreed, AC2's weakest point is it's combat. AC:B had some good combat. And I was never a fan of the new countering system introduced in AC3, like you said too prompt-y.
Prompts were introduced back in ACB, but it became too reliant and apparent in ACIII. You can't counter unless there is a prompt which is ridiculous. In ACIII, you need a bigger space to do combat as enemies tend to attack a lot, and the prompts don't appear in tight spaces.

Kagurra
11-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Prompts were introduced back in ACB, but it became too reliant and apparent in ACIII. You can't counter unless there is a prompt which is ridiculous. In ACIII, you need a bigger space to do combat as enemies tend to attack a lot, and the prompts don't appear in tight spaces.

Well I'm glad the time doesn't freeze at least. Well you said it was significantly reduced... I don't know how much. Hopefully it still isn't "alright now you have tons of time between to pick green, blue, or yellow." (xbox, sorry.) Basically it's a sequence of mini Mass Effect 3 endings that way.

phoenix-force411
11-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Well I'm glad the time doesn't freeze at least. Well you said it was significantly reduced... I don't know how much. Hopefully it still isn't "alright now you have tons of time between to pick green, blue, or yellow." (xbox, sorry.) Basically it's a sequence of mini Mass Effect 3 endings that way.
It's still there but it only lasts for about 0.5 seconds which isn't a lot.

Kagurra
11-11-2013, 09:23 AM
It's still there but it only lasts for about 0.5 seconds which isn't a lot.

So you at least need to have some timing?

phoenix-force411
11-11-2013, 09:27 AM
So you at least need to have some timing?
Even at the end of the time dilation, you can still press which button you want to perform your counter, but yeah, you need to plan out what you want to do with the enemy. For captains/generals, there's no time dilation. Simply countering them will make Edward counter them and kick them in the nuts to incapacitate them for awhile.

Kagurra
11-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Even at the end of the time dilation, you can still press which button you want to perform your counter, but yeah, you need to plan out what you want to do with the enemy. For captains/generals, there's no time dilation. Simply countering them will make Edward counter them and kick them in the nuts to incapacitate them for awhile.

I see. I really hope the combat isn't boring like in AC3. It was also just way too easy. I remember doing that one mission with Connor before he gets his robes where you're in Boston at night. The mission that gives you the notoriety tutorial. If you don't do what the game says and get in more fights, enemies keep respawning around you and I swear I killed 300 or so without a problem. And this was when I first got the game. No "mastering" needed.

SLYDER75
11-11-2013, 09:45 AM
I agree that there should have been the ability to perform at least 2 volleys with the Jackdaw. It would've made the maritime combat more strategic. While the Jackdaw was classified as a "Pirate" vessel, due to it flying a black flag, she started out as a military Brig. After fully upgrading, you have cannons lining the entire length of the main deck and the gun deck. Would've been simple to implement really. Just a quick tap of the trigger while aiming could fire a single volley from the gun deck, and a second tap could've fired all from the main deck. While holding the trigger would discharge all guns on both decks. Volleys would have made it more realistic too. No ship with guns lining multiple decks would discharge all she had at once. It leaves you a sitting duck during the reload times.

I also think they made the Jackdaw way to over powered once fully upgraded. I can rip through a high level Man O' War in about 10 seconds, even though it has twice as many guns onboard. I would've preferred the ability to do more volleys back to back, in quick succession, to the current "dump everything she's got". Especially when you're on the move and taking on multiple ships when up against a fleet.

I don't know, anymore it just seems that most developers think we're all a bunch of 12 year olds, that want victory handed to us with little effort. My favorite part of the game was taking on the legendary ships. I felt vastly underpowered, exactly how the Jackdaw should be up against a ship of that size. Sadly there wasn't very many though.

Tysodie
11-11-2013, 10:07 AM
No you can't reload your pistol at all until you're done with your bullets and then you can reload.

You actually can as there is a reload button, since I'm on Xbox it was the LB button which was previously used for calling your assassin recruits for help.

roostersrule2
11-11-2013, 10:10 AM
You actually can as there is a reload button, since I'm on Xbox it was the LB button which was previously used for calling your assassin recruits for help.Indeed, or just Y.

Tysodie
11-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Indeed, or just Y.

Y only works if you have no shots left.

Ritterkreuz1978
11-11-2013, 03:22 PM
My only gripes are the things that have plagued the entire series. Chiefly the extremely unforgiving controls. When running at any pace if you aren't aimed perfectly at your target you will jump in the wrong direction or climb the wrong object. Sometimes even when you are perfectly aimed it feels like you still climb the wrong thing. This has always been an issue for me with the games.

DinoSteve1
11-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Collectables, there are way too many, and most when gathered have have no reward.

twenty_glyphs
11-11-2013, 05:14 PM
I've never enjoyed combat in this series, and I've always been glad that there's often an option to avoid it or escape it. AC3 and AC4 definitely have kill animations that take WAY too long. It's also unpredictable, so I'm never sure of the exact timing to start targeting my next kill streak with. I hate watching those slow kill animations over and over. At least AC4 had less slow motion in general. I despise slow motion. It might be cool once or twice, but as the game goes on it gets so annoying. I've always appreciated that the Batman Arkham games have slow motion for the last person in a conflict that you can cancel by pressing a button.

DynaRider
11-11-2013, 05:38 PM
I don't like the eagle vision enabling you to see targets through walls and other solid objects. For me at least it makes it hard to determine exactly how close they are and makes them look weird and odd sized. Pretty distracting. I'm not really fond of the underwater areas either. I have a real problem trying to control Edward and running out of air can be a real pain. Unfortunately there is no way to skip the process if you want to get some of the elite plans that you need. It would be cool if there was a skip option available for those of us who are either not coordinated enough or just want to get a particular item and not have to play the scene over and over trying to get a chest.

phoenix-force411
11-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Okay, I've checked it and you can reload, but the game does a poor job at telling me....

EaglePrince25
11-11-2013, 07:28 PM
The countering and the throwing knives I all completely agree with. I found countering to be terrible in this game, and suffered from it till the very end. The knives are just plain annoying and don't make any sense to me. Why would you only carry one knife?

I'd also like to say that until other people told me, I had no idea I could even reload without using all my shots.

killzab
11-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Lack of hoods on armors

RzaRecta357
11-11-2013, 07:53 PM
I only read the first page... You reload at ANYTIME by pushing L2.

phoenix-force411
11-11-2013, 08:02 PM
I only read the first page... You reload at ANYTIME by pushing L2.
It's not a button that is utilized much in the game besides Naval warfare...the game doesn't tell you what button to reload with either....

MnemonicSyntax
11-11-2013, 09:33 PM
It's not a button that is utilized much in the game besides Naval warfare...the game doesn't tell you what button to reload with either....

Yes it does. It tells you multiple times as you use them, and in the gun tutorial with the Templars.

phoenix-force411
11-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Yes it does. It tells you multiple times as you use them, and in the gun tutorial with the Templars.
There's no indicator telling you to press the button at all...like ACIII. It's my fault that I didn't bother to read on how to reload....

xx-pyro
11-11-2013, 10:10 PM
There's no indicator telling you to press the button at all...like ACIII. It's my fault that I didn't bother to read on how to reload....

How much hand holding do you need?

Landruner
11-11-2013, 11:06 PM

Honestly? I mean no one force you to jump in the trees... besides, if you have friends that practice Parkour, Hell Yes, they go on the trees and jump from them onto building too and else. However; I agree with you for the enemy type - They are based still on the same enemy level design from AC2 - They were a bit more variety in AC3 and the Jagers too.

SenseHomunculus
11-11-2013, 11:41 PM
How much hand holding do you need?

IKR? That would be, RTFM. :p

GreySkellig
11-12-2013, 12:53 AM
Enemy damage: Pistols and Muskets do a crap load of damage, and sometimes you can't really do anything about it. The damage should be reduced by quite a bit.
-Musket guys: Line of site is hideously far, and sometimes you can't do anything about their gunshots because the game does not warn you about their shots at times.
-The Brutes: Their power swing is super strong and can knock your health to half even when you have a fully upgraded health. Like I said, sometimes the counter system doesn't respond and you take huge amounts of damage.

So after almost every gamer and critic complaining for years that AC combat is too easy and forgiving, you're complaining that it's marginally harder now? Thank goodness Ubisoft finally ramped up the difficulty a little bit. Ezio took ages to go down even if you didn't defend yourself, and Connor could at times survive whole musket volleys. Enemies dealing more damage is both better gameplay balance and more realistic.

-Throwing Knives: Very useful, but pity you can only hold one, and you'll be lucky to ever find a throwing knife.
-Auto EVERYTHING!: Basically this game likes to pick things for me! I try to stab someone with a musket, it makes me drop the musket and stab with hidden blade. Same goes for knives and single handed swords!

I'm actually with you here. I've always loved the variety of weapons on AC, using them for different scenarios--if only for role-playing purposes. I'm bummed we've been limited like this. A big letdown is that you auto-swap to hidden blades for stealth stabbing. I understand that the hidden blades sort of got drowned out in all the weapon clutter in recent games, but I always loved sneaking up on somebody and running him through with a sword, or beating him over the head with a club (also missing).

Naval Combat: -It's unfair that the Jackdaw cannot upgrade its amount of volleys per shot with round shot or heat shot. Man O' Wars and Frigates can shoot 2 to 3 volleys of shots and do tremendous damage while the Jackdaw's is pathetically limited to one...

Jackdaw:
-I was hoping after all of these upgrades, I would become Man O' WAR!!!!

I have nothing for this. The Jackdaw carries 56 guns, which is a LOT more than most pirate ships ever did. Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge was one of the most heavily armed pirate vessels ever, and only carried 40 guns. 23 guns to a broadside is ludicrously high, given its size. At one point, the Jackdaw did fire multiple volleys per broadside. Fortunately, however, it was removed, because it looked ridiculous for a small vessel to be firing 40-60 shots per broadside when it only carried 23 guns to a flank. As for the Man 'o War thing...really??? I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool to have the option to sail a Man 'o War whenever we wanted, but they're totally unsuited for piracy. They're huge, slow, and an obvious threat. The elements of stealth, surprise and speed on which pirates relied just don't work in a large vessel.

Sturnz0r
11-12-2013, 01:40 AM
I don't like the eagle vision enabling you to see targets through walls and other solid objects. For me at least it makes it hard to determine exactly how close they are and makes them look weird and odd sized. Pretty distracting. I'm not really fond of the underwater areas either. I have a real problem trying to control Edward and running out of air can be a real pain. Unfortunately there is no way to skip the process if you want to get some of the elite plans that you need. It would be cool if there was a skip option available for those of us who are either not coordinated enough or just want to get a particular item and not have to play the scene over and over trying to get a chest.

underwater was fun, but yea, you couldn't fre-look. that would get me into binds.. Try looking down and tappiing A to get you places faster

luckily for you, you don't need the elite plans to beat the game or take down legendaries

Kagurra
11-12-2013, 01:48 AM
Honestly? I mean no one force you to jump in the trees... besides, if you have friends that practice Parkour, Hell Yes, they go on the trees and jump from them onto building too and else. However; I agree with you for the enemy type - They are based still on the same enemy level design from AC2 - They were a bit more variety in AC3 and the Jagers too.

I hated the enemy design in AC3. The combat was just like fitting shapes into shape-sized holes in a wall. Certain things worked on certain enemies, and that's it. That's why AC3 had really boring combat. You could only counter this guy, and you could only stun that guy, etc etc. AC:B and AC:R had the best combat of all the games. But I see the need for the change with the new engine and all, I just wish they did it better. Hopefully AC4 is a lot better in those respects. Can't wait to play it.

killzab
11-12-2013, 01:52 AM
I hated the enemy design in AC3. The combat was just like fitting shapes into shape-sized holes in a wall. Certain things worked on certain enemies, and that's it. That's why AC3 had really boring combat. You could only counter this guy, and you could only stun that guy, etc etc. AC:B and AC:R had the best combat of all the games. But I see the need for the change with the new engine and all, I just wish they did it better. Hopefully AC4 is a lot better in those respects. Can't wait to play it.

It's not, globally combat is worse in Black Flag ...

Kagurra
11-12-2013, 01:57 AM
It's not, globally combat is worse in Black Flag ...

I dunno... I'll just play it for myself in a couple weeks and see. From gameplay I've seen it looks pretty good... :/

killzab
11-12-2013, 02:09 AM
The animations aren't as good, like less refined. And you can tell they copy pasted Connor's animation and tweaked them.

Targeting is awful.

It's actually easier than III, you just take more damage per hit but the AI was dumbed down so much.

You almost never get double counter kills.

Bad audio glitches.

III's combat was on another level.

Kagurra
11-12-2013, 02:12 AM
The animations aren't as good, like less refined. And you can tell they copy pasted Connor's animation and tweaked them.

Targeting is awful.

It's actually easier than III, you just take more damage per hit but the AI was dumbed down so much.

Bad audio glitches.

I honestly think a few of these issues will be fixed in next-gen. Glitches can be fixed, and AI problems like no double counter kills and "dumbed down AI" could be because they had to dumb it down to save resources for other things on the current-gen versions. Just my views on that.

Vzmike
11-12-2013, 04:30 AM

Targeting is awful.

Bad audio glitches.

This. Every word of it, even though I didn't like III for many reasons.

Another thing that annoyed me was the break defense animation. I can't tell you how many cheap shots, even deaths some British soldiers got on me because I was trying to take down the one soldier who actually ate his Wheaties. Waaay too long.

AdamPearce
11-12-2013, 04:42 AM
I pretty much don't like the whole land gameplay. Can't say why, it just seems like a cheap AC3 version without all the awesome stuff:

Combats are slow, long, and not dynamic for a sec'
Slow motion sound is not synchro with the movement
The swords attacks looks cheap, probably because the animations were made for a tomohawk, just sayin'
Free roam is buggy as hell, you can't run 5 meters without Edward jumping off or going in thw rong direction
Running animation looks weird, it's like Connor's one without the nice football start
They are no blending animation
They remove the awesome viewpoint synchronisation animation
The Leaps of Faith looks bad, the camera is way too close to Edward's butt so we don't get to see the fall.
We can't climb on rocks anymore.
Eagle vision is a joke...
...so is stealth
The AI is the same, even when they said they've improved it.
The detection meter is way too big, I don't need a twice the size PNJ's indicator to know I'm being detected
The assassination are still messy and nonesthetic

But, I love everything about naval (85% of the game) ^^

MnemonicSyntax
11-12-2013, 06:49 AM
I honestly think a few of these issues will be fixed in next-gen. Glitches can be fixed, and AI problems like no double counter kills and "dumbed down AI" could be because they had to dumb it down to save resources for other things on the current-gen versions. Just my views on that.

Don't know what game killzab has been playing, but everything he said isn't what I experienced. Some of the basic enemies are easy, but the upper level ones change up their tactics. It's not just "break defense. then attack" or "block, then counter" like 3. Some of the officers and higher level enemies know their stuff.

And I get double counter kills quite often, but ONLY on lower level guards. Anything higher than that, and nope.

I will say that some of the animations were copy pasted, but as a guy who uses the Pistol Swords, it has new animations that changes that. However, the hidden blade animations and the double counter kills are all brand new from what I've seen.

Kagurra
11-12-2013, 07:03 AM
Don't know what game killzab has been playing, but everything he said isn't what I experienced. Some of the basic enemies are easy, but the upper level ones change up their tactics. It's not just "break defense. then attack" or "block, then counter" like 3. Some of the officers and higher level enemies know their stuff.

And I get double counter kills quite often, but ONLY on lower level guards. Anything higher than that, and nope.

I will say that some of the animations were copy pasted, but as a guy who uses the Pistol Swords, it has new animations that changes that. However, the hidden blade animations and the double counter kills are all brand new from what I've seen.

Really love the new hidden blade stealth kill animations. I always had some problem with them in games. Like in older games I didn't love how they look up in the air really high when they did a low profile assassination, and in 3 even if you were standing still behind somebody, Connor would walk forward while doing the assassination as if you were moving in a crowd for example. But love the new stuff I've seen on that in videos.

Also good to hear that the combat isn't super boring like in 3. And it'll be even better on next-gen.

As far as the pistol swords, I planned on not using them because I didn't think having not only a bunch of guns, but exploding swords was just overkill and not very suble, but if the animations for the other normal swords are worse than I'll definitely use them. I'll give everything a try once I have the game on the 22nd. And like I said issues that people are having will be resolved in next-gen. Next-gen isn't just a graphics boost, it's everything, including AI. It's something a lot of devs have mentioned specifically.

roostersrule2
11-12-2013, 07:08 AM
Really love the new hidden blade stealth kill animations. I always had some problem with them in games. Like in older games I didn't love how they look up in the air really high when they did a low profile assassination, and in 3 even if you were standing still behind somebody, Connor would walk forward while doing the assassination as if you were moving in a crowd for example. But love the new stuff I've seen on that in videos.

Also good to hear that the combat isn't super boring like in 3. And it'll be even better on next-gen.

As far as the pistol swords, I planned on not using them because I didn't think having not only a bunch of guns, but exploding swords was just overkill and not very suble, but if the animations for the other normal swords are worse than I'll definitely use them. I'll give everything a try once I have the game on the 22nd. And like I said issues that people are having will be resolved in next-gen. Next-gen isn't just a graphics boost, it's everything, including AI. It's something a lot of devs have mentioned specifically.Yes but AC4 on next-gen is just a graphics boost, everything plays the exact same.

Combat in AC4 is worse them AC3's IMO.

Kagurra
11-12-2013, 07:15 AM
Yes but AC4 on next-gen is just a graphics boost, everything plays the exact same.

Combat in AC4 is worse them AC3's IMO.

Don't really know how you know this.

Vzmike
11-12-2013, 07:22 AM
Yes but AC4 on next-gen is just a graphics boost, everything plays the exact same.

That really remains to be seen.

Considering you can get the digital download with a code in your current gen case, there's no reason not to check it out and compare come the console's release. Is it free or is there an additional charge for this?

Kagurra
11-12-2013, 07:30 AM
That really remains to be seen.

Considering you can get the digital download with a code in your current gen case, there's no reason not to check it out and compare come the console's release. Is it free or is there an additional charge for this?

I was in the mindset that it was a 10$ upgrade.

But even so I wanted to wait and experience it the best way possible the first time.

Vzmike
11-12-2013, 07:49 AM
I was in the mindset that it was a 10$ upgrade.

But even so I wanted to wait and experience it the best way possible the first time.
That's not too bad, especially if it truly is a much better experience in not just the graphics category.

Only thing is...it'd be nice to have some confirmation to whether that's true or not.

Landruner
11-12-2013, 07:53 AM
@phenix_force411...Good points above, I agree with most of what you wrote above - However; Just a question, when you write for the blending in AC3 was more natural and I agree with you, however, I did not like the little spider web effect(s) around Connor to tell me he was hidden, did you really liked those or not?

GreatBeyonder
11-12-2013, 08:22 AM

Because climbing a straight mast designed by humans to be climbed by humans is in no way preparation for climbing trees as quickly and efficiently as monkeys. :p

Landruner
11-12-2013, 08:50 AM

My point was the Foes level structures were the same for AC4 that they were since AC2 (Normal guard, agile, brutes...) - You will see what I meant when you play it...for AC3 they were a bit more varieties, but it was pretty much the same anyhow... Except the Jagers in you were level 3 - Regarding the combat in AC4 is pretty much the same as AC3...I did not really feel a big difference, perhaps you will? but personally I did not really see anything new except the dual welding...

Kagurra
11-12-2013, 09:25 AM
My point was the Foes level structures were the same for AC4 that they were since AC2 (Normal guard, agile, brutes...) - You will see what I meant when you play it...for AC3 they were a bit more varieties, but it was pretty much the same anyhow... Except the Jagers in you were level 3 - Regarding the combat in AC4 is pretty much the same as AC3...I did not really feel a big difference, perhaps you will? but personally I did not really see anything new except the dual welding...

Maybe the combat was boring partly because of the notoriety system in AC3... when you were in level 3 Jagers spawned around every corner no matter what. Just so boring.

So glad they got rid of that. And yeah, I've yet to play it so I'm only going off of speculation and how I think I'll feel from what I've seen in gameplay vids. I haven't even bothered to watch current-gen vids, I've only seen stuff they released before launch like PS4 gameplay or whatever it was.

Kagurra
11-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Because climbing a straight mast designed by humans to be climbed by humans is in no way preparation for climbing trees as quickly and efficiently as monkeys. :p

I think it translates just fine.

I thought it was stupid in Ezio games when you fell into a tree and he just floated to the ground.

Vzmike
11-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Maybe the combat was boring partly because of the notoriety system in AC3... when you were in level 3 Jagers spawned around every corner no matter what. Just so boring.

So glad they got rid of that. And yeah, I've yet to play it so I'm only going off of speculation and how I think I'll feel from what I've seen in gameplay vids. I haven't even bothered to watch current-gen vids, I've only seen stuff they released before launch like PS4 gameplay or whatever it was.
Well don't go in expecting a revamp or with high expectations. In fact, expect frustrating happenings to occur quite a bit.

Like a prompt not prompting you, enemies attacking mid-animation, gunmen having insanely good vision to the point you stop caring about surrounding enemies. The usual really.

MnemonicSyntax
11-12-2013, 02:50 PM

I'd agree, if the mast wasn't rocking back and forth. I think climbing a ship mast while moving on the unpredictable waters of the sea is much more difficult than climbing a tree.

Dev_Anj
12-12-2013, 04:12 AM
I pretty much don't like the whole land gameplay. Can't say why, it just seems like a cheap AC3 version without all the awesome stuff:

Combats are slow, long, and not dynamic for a sec'
Free roam is buggy as hell, you can't run 5 meters without Edward jumping off or going in thw rong direction
They remove the awesome viewpoint synchronisation animation
The Leaps of Faith looks bad, the camera is way too close to Edward's butt so we don't get to see the fall.
Eagle vision is a joke...
...so is stealth
The AI is the same, even when they said they've improved it.
The detection meter is way too big, I don't need a twice the size PNJ's indicator to know I'm being detected

But, I love everything about naval (85% of the game) ^^

I don't know how the combat is that slow. I've seen many players kill off 6 to 10 guards in mere seconds. Maybe you aren't that good at it?

Doesn't seem to be the case, the freeroaming is smooth looking, occasionally that might happen to some people, but this is no different from the Ezio games.

No, it's still there. What do you mean?

It looks as good as ever to me. Not sure what you mean. The camera is a bit too jerky I'll agree, but the leaps of faith still look good.

It has been improved a lot, you can now actually keep track of enemies. How is that bad?

It's still better than the stealth in the Ezio and Altair games, atleast it provides enough mechanics to deal with enemies without being frustrating. The older Assassin's Creed were very frustrating as far as hiding in plain sight stealth was considered.

Agreed. But the snipers are a good addition, because they add a believable element to the gameplay.

It doesn't seem that big, outside of the sniper's detection sign. That could be reduced in size I agree. But it's not that huge.

So explain your statements please.

pirate1802
12-12-2013, 06:15 AM
enemies attacking mid-animation

And this is a bad? Because AC takes the rap too many times because its enemies just stand around patiently for you to finish your moves and address them. Now they still stand around but I'm glad they atleast sometimes interrupt you.