PDA

View Full Version : Need clarification on the CPU requirement.

ace3001
11-11-2013, 05:01 AM
The minimum requirements list Core 2 Quad Q8400 as the required CPU.
However, knowing what's "faster" or "better" than this is a problem, as there are newer Pentiums, Core i3s and (some) Core i5s that have way faster cores but are having only two of them whereas the Q8400 has four. This means a direct comparison cannot be made. The Q8400 is faster in some applications and slower in some others.

What I'm trying to find out is, by listing Q8400 as minimum, do the developers mean that only quad core processors can run the game? As in, does it refuse to run if it doesn't detect four or more cores?

It'll be great if a moderator or someone else able could look into this. Thanks.

Black_Widow9
11-11-2013, 06:19 AM
Hi,
This might help you or it may not but I was looking around and Steam has up not only the minimum but recommended requirements as well.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/242050/

Recommended:

OS: Windows Vista SP2 or Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8 (both 32/64bit versions)
Processor: Intel Core i5 2400S @ 2.5 GHz or better or AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.0 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 or AMD Radeon HD 5850 (1024MB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0) or better
Hard Drive: 30 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card with latest drivers
Additional Notes: Supported video cards at the time of release: Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or better and GeForce GTX 400, GTX 500, GTX 600 and GTX 700 series. AMD Radeon HD4870 or better and Radeon HD5000, HD6000 and HD7000 series. Note: Latest GeForce drivers tested: 327.23 for all series. Latest Radeon drivers tested: 13.1 for Radeon HD4000, 13.4 for Radeon HD5000, HD6000 and HD7000 series on Vista and 13.9 for Radeon HD5000, HD6000 and HD7000 series on Win7 and Win8. Laptop versions of these cards may work but are NOT officially supported.

If that doesn't answer your question and you need more clarification, please let us know and we'll try to find out for you. ;)

ace3001
11-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the quick response. :)

But what I'm looking to find out is whether a dual core processor such as a Core i3 would be able to run the game.

HypeR.tgL
11-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Quad core is the minimum. No doubt about it, more and more triple A titles are donning the quad core minimum CPU requirement nowdays, probably due to the fact next-gen is on the horizon. You'll be able to run the game, but it will be incredibly sluggish since all of the work load of ACIV will be applied onto 2 cores, opposed to a quad core where it can quarter the work load.

# of Cores > Clock speed any day, but it really depends on if the game really does utilize up to 4 CPU cores, AC3 could only utilize a maximum of 3 sadly. :\.

ace3001
11-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Quad core is the minimum. No doubt about it, more and more triple A titles are donning the quad core minimum CPU requirement nowdays, probably due to the fact next-gen is on the horizon. You'll be able to run the game, but it will be incredibly sluggish since all of the work load of ACIV will be applied onto 2 cores, opposed to a quad core where it can quarter the work load.

# of Cores > Clock speed any day, but it really depends on if the game really does utilize up to 4 CPU cores, AC3 could only utilize a maximum of 3 sadly. :\.

Yeah, I agree that quad core is the norm these days, which is why I upgraded my main PC, but for the next few months I won't have access to that, and where I will be, I won't be having a quad core CPU. I'm okay with sluggish performance. Even 20 FPS with all settings turned down would do, really. (I know, I have low standards.) But I'm just worried that it'll refuse to run at all.

Mr_Shade
11-11-2013, 04:51 PM
We can only go by the suggested requirements - if they recommends Quad Core - then we have to say that.

it's possible it may run - however we can't say that for certain, since it's not supported.

ace3001
11-11-2013, 05:32 PM
We can only go by the suggested requirements - if they recommends Quad Core - then we have to say that.

it's possible it may run - however we can't say that for certain, since it's not supported.But that's the problem. It doesn't say "quad core processor minimum." It says "core 2 quad q8400 minimum," which I have to take as any processor that's better than q8400 being able to run the game.

However, there is no way to know whether a dual core such as a core i3 is better than the q8400 or not for this game in particular without knowing how the game is actually coded, which is something only the developers know.

For example, take a look at this Far Cry 3 benchmark by Tom's Hardware.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/E/B/381539/original/Far-Cry-3-High-FPS.png

The core i3 3225 which is a dual core beats the core 2 quad q9550 which is a quad core. So when taking FC3 into account, the dual core processor is actually better.

But obviously, I have no way of saying whether it works the same way with AC IV, and that is what I'm trying to find out.

Simply, which processors count as "better than q8400" when taking AC IV alone into account?

Krayus Korianis
11-12-2013, 05:26 AM
I can only state what I've experienced with my own CPU and GPU. I have an i3-2100 (3.1GHz dual core, with Multi-threading is 2 physical/4 logical cores, that's 2nd Gen) and a GTX 660 OC (Overclocked) with 8GB DDR3 XMP RAM. I play Planetside 2 (That game takes a TON of system resources to run correctly) with about 60-70 FPS in firefights.

I also play Arkham City (Very high/Max settings), with full PhysX and DX 11 (Including Tesselation) with pretty good, usually around 50-60 sometimes 70-80, FPS. Now, I can't say that the CPU I got is awesome, but it's been good so far. I do want to upgrade to an i5 (Quad Core) one of these days. But that'll have to wait as I'm stretched for money lol.

But really, Intel has better clock speeds PER core than AMD does. It's a proven fact and since you're wanting to upgrade to a new CPU, you will need a new motherboard anyways. You're gonna have to go with what you want or what you think will be good for YOU.