PDA

View Full Version : To Ubisoft: My Assassin’s Creed IV Review *SPOILERS*

RinoTheBouncer
11-10-2013, 09:33 PM
First of all, I did enjoy ACIV. In a lot of points, it exceeded my expectations and like any other products, there are points where you’re let down or just not so happy about them. I appreciate the efforts of the development team and I think they did a great job to make an entertaining gameplay. I’m not a fan of naval battles. Didn’t get into them in AC3 and I’m not a fan of films about pirates either, but I definitely enjoyed the two in this game. On the other hand, I had mixed feeling about modern day missions, though they felt new and a bit interesting, they felt a bit irrelevant and minimal as well. I felt like they’re trying to copy the past success but they’re unable to because we’re past that point and now we want more from the avalanche of the AC revelations, twists and stories.

In AC1, we had the feeling of not knowing anything and wanting to know more with hopes that what’s to come will give you interesting stuff. Now, even though there are interesting stuff, they way they’re presented doesn’t do much. By the end of AC3, we thought the next game will be hell on earth with Juno unleashed but there it is, Montreal is bright and sunny, everything’s under control, nothing is told about the damage caused by the solar flare (which I’m sure took place according to the news report at the end of ACIII). All the recordings are mainly past stories which I’d rather unlock on ACINITIATES.com or read in the AC:Encyclopedia than have in a game and pretend it’s something cool

It almost feels like ACIV is some sort of a reboot with a bit of hints to past games to keep you into the atmosphere. ACIII did great with modern day but ruined it with the historical portion due to some glitches and the big-for-nothing atmosphere. While with ACIV had a very entertaining historical portion but totally irrelevant to present day affairs or the story arc of the AC franchise. Many of us play AC for the story, so when playing a game like ACIII, we just wanna reach the next “!” sign to continue the story. In that case, the whole big atmosphere will be left untouched cause we’ll take the shortest route to the next main mission.

As for ACIV, we got a great deal of entertaining gameplay, even when we’re moving from one mission to another, that even someone like me who wouldn’t bother with side quests, have spent 2-4 hours in the middle of the story just to explore and level up but was extremely disappointed as the story felt like it was written on paper, torn into pieces and some of the pieces were thrown at us randomly. It’s not just Present Day, but Edward’s story didn’t feel complete. I mean, it did have a closure but we knew next to nothing about his past. It feels like we just started at a point and went forward, not much is revealed about who he really is but just a person who’s constantly being molded by life to be somebody he probably wouldn’t recognize yesterday. Most of the story was like a whole big “why?”. Why are we following the story of a guy who’s not even an assassin and only got close to becoming one near the end? why are we looking for The Observatory? what does all this have to do with the cliffhanger of ACIII? why are we moving from the detailed and intriguing concept and work at Abstergo (which I’ll never forget the look on my face when I left Vidic’s lab and so the Animi at Abstergo at the start of ACII) and moving on to some random person which we’re convinced to think that it’s “me” and somebody wants to use Desmond’s DNA to make me test this and find info. that somebody else might need for some unknown purpose and also see if they can make a good video game or not? why?

Since the first time I played AC, with AC1 back when it came out, the feedback I gave was “The best storytelling ever in a video game” and “the most intriguing concept. It shakes your beliefs and thoughts” and “I’ve learned more about life and history from Assassin’s Creed than I ever did from school and college” Now, I think we’re on the edge of kissing all that goodbye in favor of satisfying people who didn’t invest as much time and understanding to the games’ mythology from day one and head towards a Historical Grand Theft Auto.

I don’t wanna sound so old school but I guess ACI was great in terms of mythology and story but lame when it comes to gameplay, ACII was perfect in both story, gameplay, characters and it was very well directed and presented, not to mention being lengthy and rich, AC:B gave us a great deal of connection between present day and the era we’re revisiting through the Animus with a really shocking and exciting ending, AC:R was really great, it gave us really beautiful scenery, warm and emotional story and of course a beautiful directed ending and entertaining gameplay despite being short, ACIII gave us the fair share of present day vs. historical story-telling, game play, cutscenes and events but was badly directed towards the end regardless of the fate of the protagonist.

I believe the people behind Assassin’s Creed should step back and take a look at what they’ve made so far. What a brilliant franchise they’ve presented us and how detailed and powerful the storytelling was, how entertaining the gameplay is and how many people still have faith in this franchise and can’t wait for what’s next to come in line, then they should decide where to take it next and they should definitely think that maybe some elements can easily gain sales and interests of the general public, alienating old fans and stripping the game from the elements that made it this big is the most dangerous monster any franchise can ever face.

Landruner
11-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Nice Review and analysis of the Franchise - I also mostly agree with what you wrote above (I won't argue with the differences I could have because it is just a question of personal opinions and it will be irrelevant to mention them there) - I, however; will have a question for you - Do you think that they should Reboot the series?

RinoTheBouncer
11-10-2013, 09:49 PM
Nice Review and analysis of the Franchise - I also mostly agree with what you wrote above (I won't argue with the differences I could have because it is just a question of personal opinions and it will be irrelevant to mention them there) - I, however; will have a question for you - Do you think that they should Reboot the series?

Thanks for the kind words and lovely signature, by the way. Almost made me cry... ok sentimental mode off now :P

I think they should not because all what we’ve built so far is too precious to erase. But I think they should move forward with the Juno story and her world domination plan and find some conclusion to it, something that we don’t see often in Hollywood movies, be it happy or sad or just give it some great, smart and interesting twist and from there, they can start with a whole new setting that continues the story without considering the past to never have happened. Be it another Apple of Eden effect or a possibility from Minerva’s Eye device or whatever similar to this. Something that will not disappoint us, and not erase the past but will also set a stage for something entertaining, deep, rich and detailed just like how the first trilogy started.

silvermercy
11-10-2013, 09:56 PM
I think there's a new book dealing with his past, I'm forgetting the title. The story was originally set to span a decade and focus on his life as a pirate. If we saw his past it would be full of flash-backs and cutscenes maybe? This might have messed with the game narrative a lot.

I haven't played the game yet but as for the "why" questions maybe they need to remain unanswered? In terms of mystery I mean.
(btw, the modern day question as to why we switch has already been answered by the devs).

:)

Landruner
11-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the kind words and lovely signature, by the way. Almost made me cry... ok sentimental mode off now :P

I think they should not because all what we’ve built so far is too precious to erase. But I think they should move forward with the Juno story and her world domination plan and find some conclusion to it, something that we don’t see often in Hollywood movies, be it happy or sad or just give it some great, smart and interesting twist and from there, they can start with a whole new setting that continues the story without considering the past to never have happened. Be it another Apple of Eden effect or a possibility from Minerva’s Eye device or whatever similar to this. Something that will not disappoint us, and not erase the past but will also set a stage for something entertaining, deep, rich and detailed just like how the first trilogy started.

The problem I have right now the situation of the Templar Vs Assassin is that it does not work for me and does not make any sense

Why do I have to fight them since I know my fight is useless since I know how it ends in AC3? It is not even because of the end of Desmond, it is really because I do not feel the fight for all Assassin during all those centuries was worth anything.
The all arc is broken to me, since I know that the Assassin is a lost cause... Templar win on a sense and nothing in AC4 gives an opportunity to fight against Juno post in the modern day. In AC4 Edward id acting like nothing happened in AC3 (That normal because it was a prequel, but still it is worth something that he fights against Templars?)

Honestly I have played AC4 as a cool game, where you can be a pirate and eventually assassinate some people because you have to. I did it for progressing in the game, but not really by conviction. I personally spend more time on exploring and do pirate activities than really Assassin activities, and come back to the main mission because I wanted to progress but not really because I wanted to know about the story. AC4 is a great game, and fun to play, but I just understood that I did not see the point of killing those Templars anymore. I do not know if I make sense there, but I did not feel as involved into the Creed like I experienced before...

RinoTheBouncer
11-11-2013, 09:51 AM
The problem I have right now the situation of the Templar Vs Assassin is that it does not work for me and does not make any sense

Why do I have to fight them since I know my fight is useless since I know how it ends in AC3? It is not even because of the end of Desmond, it is really because I do not feel the fight for all Assassin during all those centuries was worth anything.
The all arc is broken to me, since I know that the Assassin is a lost cause... Templar win on a sense and nothing in AC4 gives an opportunity to fight against Juno post in the modern day. In AC4 Edward id acting like nothing happened in AC3 (That normal because it was a prequel, but still it is worth something that he fights against Templars?)

Honestly I have played AC4 as a cool game, where you can be a pirate and eventually assassinate some people because you have to. I did it for progressing in the game, but not really by conviction. I personally spend more time on exploring and do pirate activities than really Assassin activities, and come back to the main mission because I wanted to progress but not really because I wanted to know about the story. AC4 is a great game, and fun to play, but I just understood that I did not see the point of killing those Templars anymore. I do not know if I make sense there, but I did not feel as involved into the Creed like I experienced before...

I actually agree with 100% and ACIII was the one to bring your ideas about Assassins and Templars to the table in a very clear and obvious way. First, making a Templar character playable with almost the same skills as those of the Assassins and can only tell the difference in the end of Haytham’s chapter then the whole ideas about Templars and Assassins made one actually think “Are the Templars really the bad guys? they make a lot of sense sometimes” but sadly, ACIV took a step back and returned to the typical good guys vs. bad guys style.

luckyto
11-11-2013, 06:01 PM
AC1 has been my favorite title for over five years. But in reality, where is Altair's backstory? Many of your criticisms can and have been leveled against AC1. Many fans are struggling with the fact that Desmond is gone. They are too vested. How much of that mythology has been learned from books, wikis, forums, and every form other than the game? Tons of it. How do we even know anything about Altair? Because they came with a follow-up game four years later that covered him. This criticism comes from the light of a mind who is expecting modern-day to take up a huge part of the game. It doesn't and it never has.

Look let me paraphrase:

As for ACI, we got a great deal of entertaining gameplay, but was extremely disappointed as the story felt like it was written on paper, torn into pieces and some of the pieces were thrown at us randomly. It’s not just Present Day, but Altair’s story didn’t feel complete. I mean, it did have a closure but we knew next to nothing about his past. It feels like we just started at a point and went forward, not much is revealed about who he really is but just a person who’s constantly being molded by life to be somebody he probably wouldn’t recognize yesterday. Most of the story was like a whole big “why?”. Why are we following the story of a guy who was kicked out of the Assassins and killed their leader at the end? why are we looking for The Apple? why are we some random person which we’re convinced to think that it’s “me” who just reads emails?.why?

Many of us play AC for the story, so when playing a game like ACIII, we just wanna reach the next “!” sign to continue the story. In that case, the whole big atmosphere will be left untouched cause we’ll take the shortest route to the next main mission.

I'm really sorry for you. Life isn't about getting to the next main mission, it's about the journey.

Honestly, this post makes me a little angry. Because one, you so overfilled with nostalgia and fan lore, that you are totally clouded as to what you remember. Two, you are basically posting a review which says: I know other people enjoy this, but I don't, so screw those people. All I want is story. Give me modern day Desmond, TWCB, and nom nom nom --- forget everybody else.

Dude, if you want to skip to the story, go right ahead. There's fast travel all over the place. Go skip all that content - stop trying to ruin it for people who actually enjoy playing in that world. That's why I play these games --- for HISTORICAL TOURISM. it's almost like you aren't even a fan of AC1, because AC1 was as much about just roaming about as it was about story. Dialogue was few and far between. And the world was one big playground. There was almost NO modern day. Very very little. The only difference is that in AC1, the only missions were the story.

And how dare you say "story is weak." Brotherhood had almost no plot twists, plain black-white villains, and absolutely no back story on any of our contracts. Aside from Haytham, How many side characters were well-written, flushed out and interesting in AC3? None. Not even the old man, whom we know nothing about ever. Most of the characters were wood. ACR had two interesting characters... maybe. Same for AC2. Black Flag was filled with twists, interesting people, fascinating places, and pacing. The Sage, Black Bart, Blackbeard, Kidd, Governor, Woodes Rogers, Adewale, Charles Vane, Calico Jack, Anne Bonny. Honestly, this is the best set of villains since AC2; and each questioned Edward and pushed his progression forward. And probably the best ensemble case. This wasn't about a person starting out black-white and becoming grey; it's about starting grey and becoming black-white. It's the perfect bookmark to the ACIII. Each character played an important role and came back in surprising ways. The story is superb.. and in my OPINION, it's the best story in the whole lot.

OH. You mean the modern day story was weak. Blah de blah de blah.

PS If you didn't figure out why Edward's story mattered or how he DID become an Assassin, then the story is probably deeper than you think. You just weren't able to grasp it. Go check again.

RinoTheBouncer
11-12-2013, 03:13 PM
AC1 has been my favorite title for over five years. But in reality, where is Altair's backstory? Many of your criticisms can and have been leveled against AC1. Many fans are struggling with the fact that Desmond is gone. They are too vested. How much of that mythology has been learned from books, wikis, forums, and every form other than the game? Tons of it. How do we even know anything about Altair? Because they came with a follow-up game four years later that covered him. This criticism comes from the light of a mind who is expecting modern-day to take up a huge part of the game. It doesn't and it never has.

Look let me paraphrase:

As for ACI, we got a great deal of entertaining gameplay, but was extremely disappointed as the story felt like it was written on paper, torn into pieces and some of the pieces were thrown at us randomly. It’s not just Present Day, but Altair’s story didn’t feel complete. I mean, it did have a closure but we knew next to nothing about his past. It feels like we just started at a point and went forward, not much is revealed about who he really is but just a person who’s constantly being molded by life to be somebody he probably wouldn’t recognize yesterday. Most of the story was like a whole big “why?”. Why are we following the story of a guy who was kicked out of the Assassins and killed their leader at the end? why are we looking for The Apple? why are we some random person which we’re convinced to think that it’s “me” who just reads emails?.why?

I'm really sorry for you. Life isn't about getting to the next main mission, it's about the journey.

Honestly, this post makes me a little angry. Because one, you so overfilled with nostalgia and fan lore, that you are totally clouded as to what you remember. Two, you are basically posting a review which says: I know other people enjoy this, but I don't, so screw those people. All I want is story. Give me modern day Desmond, TWCB, and nom nom nom --- forget everybody else.

Dude, if you want to skip to the story, go right ahead. There's fast travel all over the place. Go skip all that content - stop trying to ruin it for people who actually enjoy playing in that world. That's why I play these games --- for HISTORICAL TOURISM. it's almost like you aren't even a fan of AC1, because AC1 was as much about just roaming about as it was about story. Dialogue was few and far between. And the world was one big playground. There was almost NO modern day. Very very little. The only difference is that in AC1, the only missions were the story.

And how dare you say "story is weak." Brotherhood had almost no plot twists, plain black-white villains, and absolutely no back story on any of our contracts. Aside from Haytham, How many side characters were well-written, flushed out and interesting in AC3? None. Not even the old man, whom we know nothing about ever. Most of the characters were wood. ACR had two interesting characters... maybe. Same for AC2. Black Flag was filled with twists, interesting people, fascinating places, and pacing. The Sage, Black Bart, Blackbeard, Kidd, Governor, Woodes Rogers, Adewale, Charles Vane, Calico Jack, Anne Bonny. Honestly, this is the best set of villains since AC2; and each questioned Edward and pushed his progression forward. And probably the best ensemble case. This wasn't about a person starting out black-white and becoming grey; it's about starting grey and becoming black-white. It's the perfect bookmark to the ACIII. Each character played an important role and came back in surprising ways. The story is superb.. and in my OPINION, it's the best story in the whole lot.

OH. You mean the modern day story was weak. Blah de blah de blah.

PS If you didn't figure out why Edward's story mattered or how he DID become an Assassin, then the story is probably deeper than you think. You just weren't able to grasp it. Go check again.

Actually what you just said spoke about you more than my review or a critique to it. You’re the one saying “I like to roam around and play side quest and do some historical tourism and screw all the old fans who like a story that matters not just some GTA in the past” and actually I’m not the only one criticizing the story and your argument about AC1 is invalid because that’s the debut part of the game and it’s the beginning to understanding the franchise which flourished with ACII and AC:B. Each game had it’s own style of unfolding the story and ACI is definitely not my most favorite. I usually put it at the bottom of my list for having very little cutscenes and too much repetition. However, to return to the style of the first one and leaving us in the dark about major information and events just because they wanna play some video games at Abstergo, no that doesn’t work.

I didn’t praise ACIII very much either. I liked it because it continued a whole story, the modern day one which is what started the whole thing. I’m sure if you think the historical part (which is the major one) is the main story, then you’re totally wrong because both sides of the story go hand in hand, modern and historical. Abstergo wouldn’t invent the Animus if it wasn’t for them wanting to uncover the secrets of the past which matter in TODAY’s technology “They’re gifts from those who came before” - Vidic about the Apples of Eden and then he explained how they used past knowledge to create what they created.

I admit that ACIII had next to zero backstory and it’s only Haytham and Connor that matter, nobody else had any story that I could care about. With AC4, however, I enjoyed the gameplay but I was waiting for something to happen, but nothing did except for a hologram of Juno and Aita having a story out of nowhere. No more cliffhangers like all past games did and quite honestly, people don’t just throw in a random modern day story after such a big cliffhanger of ACIII. Did they bother explaining another about the solar flare? the global aurora borealis? anybody wondered? any destruction? nothing. Just cut and start somewhere new like a reboot with some easter eggs from past games.

You don’t need to feel sorry for me, it’s I who feel sorry for those who just wanna lurk around pointlessly. Especially that the world of AC4 doesn’t really differ much from one city to another so there isn’t really much more to see after finishing the main game which gives you a little bit of everything. If you have any criticism about my understanding to the story, feel free to elaborate instead of asking me to do check it out again. Also, I’m not telling Ubi to create a game just for me regardless of anyone wants but it’s obvious that if AC has fans, it’s those who liked the game when it had a story that mattered, not those who just grabbed ACIV.

The_Heisenberg
11-12-2013, 03:35 PM
As for ACIV, we got a great deal of entertaining gameplay, even when we’re moving from one mission to another, that even someone like me who wouldn’t bother with side quests, have spent 2-4 hours in the middle of the story just to explore and level up but was extremely disappointed as the story felt like it was written on paper, torn into pieces and some of the pieces were thrown at us randomly. It’s not just Present Day, but Edward’s story didn’t feel complete. I mean, it did have a closure but we knew next to nothing about his past. It feels like we just started at a point and went forward, not much is revealed about who he really is but just a person who’s constantly being molded by life to be somebody he probably wouldn’t recognize yesterday. Most of the story was like a whole big “why?”. Why are we following the story of a guy who’s not even an assassin and only got close to becoming one near the end? why are we looking for The Observatory? what does all this have to do with the cliffhanger of ACIII? why are we moving from the detailed and intriguing concept and work at Abstergo (which I’ll never forget the look on my face when I left Vidic’s lab and so the Animi at Abstergo at the start of ACII) and moving on to some random person which we’re convinced to think that it’s “me” and somebody wants to use Desmond’s DNA to make me test this and find info. that somebody else might need for some unknown purpose and also see if they can make a good video game or not? why?
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I thought the story was pretty good to be honest. People seem to be upset that he didn't become an assassin until sequence 10 or whatever, I thought it was a good thing. Put it this way, this dude, complete selfish piece of crap only cares about himself and self worth, makes the change after he has lost everything to become a better person. I liked it, i'm guessing the book will reveal a little bit about his past, but from what we gathered he was a drunk who only cared about getting rich.. Remember, we were researching him because the Templars wanted to gain entry to that observatory. Why else would we research someone like him for the templars? they are constantly finding out about different artifacts and pre cursor sites. If you were part of the templar organization wouldn't you want to find it?

luckyto
11-12-2013, 03:56 PM
I thought the story was pretty good to be honest. People seem to be upset that he didn't become an assassin until sequence 10 or whatever, I thought it was a good thing. Put it this way, this dude, complete selfish piece of crap only cares about himself and self worth, makes the change after he has lost everything to become a better person. I liked it, i'm guessing the book will reveal a little bit about his past, but from what we gathered he was a drunk who only cared about getting rich.. Remember, we were researching him because the Templars wanted to gain entry to that observatory. Why else would we research someone like him for the templars? they are constantly finding out about different artifacts and pre cursor sites. If you were part of the templar organization wouldn't you want to find it?

Precisely. Edward's story progressed in a very good way. He actually did have a character arc. Altair had one - to a degree. It took Ezio three games to have one. And Connor never had one. Edward actually changed naturally into the Assassin he was meant to be, and embraced the Creed on his own journey.

Two, there were no questions left to answer. There was no mass destruction. Watch the end of III. It ties it all off. Desmond dead. World saved. Vidic eliminated. The only cliffhanger is that Juno is set free.

In Black Flag, the Templars weren't really doing research for a movie, the main goal was to find the Observatory, the same way that Desmond's main goal in AC1 was to find out about the Apple. It's a totally new piece of the puzzle, as is the Sage, and you can't tell me that you saw that one coming? What about the vials of First Civ blood/DNA? What is the network that Juno is working on? Why can't she come back yet? There are just as many questions in this one as ever before.

Lastly, if there's not a lot to do, then you just aren't even trying. Video games are about PLAYING. Play. Explore. Jump, kill, swim, collect. There's tons to do. The cities have the biggest contrast between environments in the entire cities. The underwater sections are completely different. The Mayan temples have their own flair and music, and the jungles are fantastic. Templar Hunts. Assassination contracts. Gaming is about such mindless wandering. Movies and Novels are about stories. Games are about being games. To play.

Landruner
11-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Actually what you just said spoke about you more than my review or a critique to it. You’re the one saying “I like to roam around and play side quest and do some historical tourism and screw all the old fans who like a story that matters not just some GTA in the past” and actually I’m not the only one criticizing the story and your argument about AC1 is invalid because that’s the debut part of the game and it’s the beginning to understanding the franchise which flourished with ACII and AC:B. Each game had it’s own style of unfolding the story and ACI is definitely not my most favorite. I usually put it at the bottom of my list for having very little cutscenes and too much repetition. However, to return to the style of the first one and leaving us in the dark about major information and events just because they wanna play some video games at Abstergo, no that doesn’t work.

I didn’t praise ACIII very much either. I liked it because it continued a whole story, the modern day one which is what started the whole thing. I’m sure if you think the historical part (which is the major one) is the main story, then you’re totally wrong because both sides of the story go hand in hand, modern and historical. Abstergo wouldn’t invent the Animus if it wasn’t for them wanting to uncover the secrets of the past which matter in TODAY’s technology “They’re gifts from those who came before” - Vidic about the Apples of Eden and then he explained how they used past knowledge to create what they created.

I admit that ACIII had next to zero backstory and it’s only Haytham and Connor that matter, nobody else had any story that I could care about. With AC4, however, I enjoyed the gameplay but I was waiting for something to happen, but nothing did except for a hologram of Juno and Aita having a story out of nowhere. No more cliffhangers like all past games did and quite honestly, people don’t just throw in a random modern day story after such a big cliffhanger of ACIII. Did they bother explaining another about the solar flare? the global aurora borealis? anybody wondered? any destruction? nothing. Just cut and start somewhere new like a reboot with some easter eggs from past games.

You don’t need to feel sorry for me, it’s I who feel sorry for those who just wanna lurk around pointlessly. Especially that the world of AC4 doesn’t really differ much from one city to another so there isn’t really much more to see after finishing the main game which gives you a little bit of everything. If you have any criticism about my understanding to the story, feel free to elaborate instead of asking me to do check it out again. Also, I’m not telling Ubi to create a game just for me regardless of anyone wants but it’s obvious that if AC has fans, it’s those who liked the game when it had a story that mattered, not those who just grabbed ACIV.

@Rhino, like I mentioned earlier, I support your point and review, and I sincerely regret that some people do not read between the lines and try to understand that sometimes "critics opinions, or ideas from users, artists, designers & programmers or even reviewers that happen to like that franchise are mostly constructive most of time in the best interest of the franchise and sometimes must be considered....and not about whining, selfish or being negative.

luckyto
11-12-2013, 04:46 PM
When it's constructive, it was fine. When it became "I don't like this part so don't do it regardless of other people liking it", then it's not so fine. When game objectives are optional, I find it very difficult to accept people's criticism of such. If you don't like it, skip it. Don't do it. If you want just story, just race through fast travel points and go mission to mission. Why fault the game because it had OPTIONAL activities which you didn't enjoy? It's like saying, I don't like thick crust pizzas, so no restaurant should serve thick crust pizza. Why would I begrudge someone liking thick crust pizza? The thick-crust pizza isn't harming me, and I can still get thin-crust, why should I care?

AC fandom is filled with such people. They want "stealth." And so, they complain because the Assassin can kill a hundred guards. Noone is making the player kill a hundred guards. If you want to play stealthy, play stealthy. Why begrudge players who might WANT to kill a hundred guards? AC1 allowed you to do both. If you wanted to challenge yourself and attempt a completely incognito assassination (or one without all-out combat) and escape, then you can. If you want to go all in, then you can.

I'm perfectly fine with people saying they don't like a Time Period. I have good friends who don't care for the naval. They do as little as possible and move on. Not everyone is the same. If the original OP doesn't want to explore, don't. But why criticize all that extra content when you don't even have to do it? You are just ruining it for people who do.

silvermercy
11-12-2013, 05:02 PM
When it's constructive, it was fine. When it became "I don't like this part so don't do it regardless of other people liking it", then it's not so fine. When game objectives are optional, I find it very difficult to accept people's criticism of such. If you don't like it, skip it. Don't do it. If you want just story, just race through fast travel points and go mission to mission. Why fault the game because it had OPTIONAL activities which you didn't enjoy? It's like saying, I don't like thick crust pizzas, so no restaurant should serve thick crust pizza. Why would I begrudge someone liking thick crust pizza? The thick-crust pizza isn't harming me, and I can still get thin-crust, why should I care?

AC fandom is filled with such people. They want "stealth." And so, they complain because the Assassin can kill a hundred guards. Noone is making the player kill a hundred guards. If you want to play stealthy, play stealthy. Why begrudge players who might WANT to kill a hundred guards? AC1 allowed you to do both. If you wanted to challenge yourself and attempt a completely incognito assassination (or one without all-out combat) and escape, then you can. If you want to go all in, then you can.

I'm perfectly fine with people saying they don't like a Time Period. I have good friends who don't care for the naval. They do as little as possible and move on. Not everyone is the same. If the original OP doesn't want to explore, don't. But why criticize all that extra content when you don't even have to do it? You are just ruining it for people who do.
You described my thoughts exactly! :)

May I also add about stealth... There are people out there who absolutely hate stealth (within games in general). I was surprised to read that in some game forums because I thought everyone wanted stealth... But stealth is another "option". And they don't complain when they get optional stealth... ;)

edit: I'm not a fan of naval but I guess I will skip some options when I finally get to play the game. ^^

killzab
11-12-2013, 05:17 PM
You described my thoughts exactly! :)

May I also add about stealth... There are people out there who absolutely hate stealth (within games in general). I was surprised to read that in some game forums because I thought everyone wanted stealth... But stealth is another "option". And they don't complain when they get optional stealth... ;)

edit: I'm not a fan of naval but I guess I will skip some options when I finally get to play the game. ^^

I tend to not like stealth heavy games too much. For example, I didn't really enjoy Deus Ex.

But I don't mind it in AC; the thing is the mechanics need an overhaul because they're not robust enough. In particular the AI which is almost brain dead at times.

Combat needs to be harder though, or at least more dynamic.

Why not reintroduce a health bar on enemies ( hidden or not like in Batman) instead of having to hit an enemy like 5 times in a row to execute a finish move ?

Why not make it so counters don't kill systematically but inflict damage ( again like Batman).

Enemies should attack more often and more randomly too.

luckyto
11-12-2013, 05:24 PM
I agree on all those things, killzab. The AI is long overdue for an overhaul. And the combat, ugh. We get close - but no cigar. And that's a perfect example of constructive criticism.

Landruner
11-12-2013, 07:51 PM
I tend to not like stealth heavy games too much. For example, I didn't really enjoy Deus Ex.

But I don't mind it in AC; the thing is the mechanics need an overhaul because they're not robust enough. In particular the AI which is almost brain dead at times.

Combat needs to be harder though, or at least more dynamic.

Why not reintroduce a health bar on enemies ( hidden or not like in Batman) instead of having to hit an enemy like 5 times in a row to execute a finish move ?

Why not make it so counters don't kill systematically but inflict damage ( again like Batman).

Enemies should attack more often and more randomly too.

Good Points! - What I believe would be nice is a more balanced stealth vs. Combat OR the best compromise would be that the mission designs be that if a player that want to be stealth could be stealthy if they want to (old school way)...and the ones that prefer a more radical approach could do that then, AND the one that want to combine the two they may also.
With The fact of being stealthy well you do not want to have an army of guys after you, and if it happen well you have a bit of a challenge because the combat system offer you more variant and more opportunity to experiment things. The same with the opposite if a player prefers being less discreet and go in the combat the balance offers a bit more challenge and variety (6The best will be that you could use some item in the environment for interacting with during the foes as well). Effectively in mentioning some other game(s) regarding the counter attack, it is not always lethal like it is in the AC series...

xx-pyro
11-12-2013, 08:14 PM
I think even just giving guards a % chance to counter your killstreak would help the combat system out a lot, based on the strength of the swords you're using. Stealth mechanics in AC3 and AC4 are decent but could be improved by adding different types of hiding spots as well as (like you said killzab), improving the AI and making detection easier.

RinoTheBouncer
11-13-2013, 12:12 PM
@Rhino, like I mentioned earlier, I support your point and review, and I sincerely regret that some people do not read between the lines and try to understand that sometimes "critics opinions, or ideas from users, artists, designers & programmers or even reviewers that happen to like that franchise are mostly constructive most of time in the best interest of the franchise and sometimes must be considered....and not about whining, selfish or being negative.

Yeah, I tend to be more constructive noting the weaknesses compared to past entries and I’m not one of those fans who want everything like AC1 and against any new entry, nor one of those who boycott Resident Evil just because it became more fast paced. I don’t like the new entries very much but I don’t hate them either. However, I won’t stop noting that some parts need to be improved.

Another person above talked about how some people might dislike a certain type of Pizza and ask restaurants not to serve. I’m 100% against that type of people and criticism. Like some moaned about Lara Croft having outfits, I said “Just don’t unlock them or don’t use them” simple. However, when I noted that most of the side missions are repetitive, I noted that it would be much better to give them more depth or lets say something rewarding after collecting them. I don’t think that will ruin the pleasure for anybody who likes collecting random stuff.

Regarding the story, there was some destruction after ACIII according to the broadcast before the credits rolled. Edward’s story wasn’t bad but Modern Day story didn’t answer much. We pretty much knew Desmond died in ACIII so confirming it in ACIV doesn’t count as an answer. AC:B continued ACII, AC:R continued AC:B and ACIII continued the story of AC:R and what we’ve been after. This one feels like it’s in another world.

Landruner
11-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I tend to be more constructive noting the weaknesses compared to past entries and I’m not one of those fans who want everything like AC1 and against any new entry, nor one of those who boycott Resident Evil just because it became more fast paced. I don’t like the new entries very much but I don’t hate them either. However, I won’t stop noting that some parts need to be improved.

Another person above talked about how some people might dislike a certain type of Pizza and ask restaurants not to serve. I’m 100% against that type of people and criticism. Like some moaned about Lara Croft having outfits, I said “Just don’t unlock them or don’t use them” simple. However, when I noted that most of the side missions are repetitive, I noted that it would be much better to give them more depth or lets say something rewarding after collecting them. I don’t think that will ruin the pleasure for anybody who likes collecting random stuff.

Regarding the story, there was some destruction after ACIII according to the broadcast before the credits rolled. Edward’s story wasn’t bad but Modern Day story didn’t answer much. We pretty much knew Desmond died in ACIII so confirming it in ACIV doesn’t count as an answer. AC:B continued ACII, AC:R continued AC:B and ACIII continued the story of AC:R and what we’ve been after. This one feels like it’s in another world.

You know, I remarked that when someone writes something constructive or come with some ideas here on that AC's forum and uses the "We" or "most of us" for talking on behalf of a certain group of people, you have always some users that come negatively after the author for manifesting their rant because they consider not being included in the group, and they turn the page on what actually that person was trying to say.
Anyway just check somewhere else beyond the wall of this forum, and you will understand that behind the feedback you could read or hear from users and critics, your review has a real value and certainly not a random thread from a hater that dislikes the franchise or should skip it. What you wrote resumes and reflects the consensus general idea about that franchise. You are not the only one who is writing this or still reproaching this to Ubisoft, and Ubisoft knows it.

luckyto
11-13-2013, 05:26 PM

One, that's not what you said. You said you would just skip to story so why include them. But...

Upgrade plans (Diving and Maps) and crafting (Hunting) had significant impact on player progression. Templar Hunt not only gives you armor which vastly improves your character, but also introduces you to characters who play key roles at the end of the game. And everything else tied into the economic system which was critical for progressing your ship and the character. Black Flag's side missions had more rewarding benefits than any other AC in history.

Looking at the Ezio trilogy? What did Tombs offer? Just chests. Assassination Contracts. Just money. Both give you money which you don't need because the economic system is so easy. Brawler and courier missions offered nothing. Recruit missions where the only thing that gave you extra player tools, but recruiting pirates was just the exact same mechanic and served just as much purpose.

It is, in a way, a new world. A world post-Juno. And a totally new protagonist. This is to be expected.

RinoTheBouncer
11-20-2013, 08:14 AM
You know, I remarked that when someone writes something constructive or come with some ideas here on that AC's forum and uses the "We" or "most of us" for talking on behalf of a certain group of people, you have always some users that come negatively after the author for manifesting their rant because they consider not being included in the group, and they turn the page on what actually that person was trying to say.
Anyway just check somewhere else beyond the wall of this forum, and you will understand that behind the feedback you could read or hear from users and critics, your review has a real value and certainly not a random thread from a hater that dislikes the franchise or should skip it. What you wrote resumes and reflects the consensus general idea about that franchise. You are not the only one who is writing this or still reproaching this to Ubisoft, and Ubisoft knows it.

Yeah, I agree with you. It happens on every kind of forum.
Many people wanna come off as negative or act as if you insulted them with your opinion when it’s actually just a benign thought.

I’m on ACINITIATES as well so yeah, I’m reading feedback from others. I see most people wanting a story-driven AC more than what they’re seemingly try to change it to. I’m not saying this to support my own interest and theory, just honestly happened that the people I know love story-driven games. Actually this was the reason why I bought AC1 when it came out, it was like my or 3rd PS3 game.

One, that's not what you said. You said you would just skip to story so why include them. But...

Upgrade plans (Diving and Maps) and crafting (Hunting) had significant impact on player progression. Templar Hunt not only gives you armor which vastly improves your character, but also introduces you to characters who play key roles at the end of the game. And everything else tied into the economic system which was critical for progressing your ship and the character. Black Flag's side missions had more rewarding benefits than any other AC in history.

Looking at the Ezio trilogy? What did Tombs offer? Just chests. Assassination Contracts. Just money. Both give you money which you don't need because the economic system is so easy. Brawler and courier missions offered nothing. Recruit missions where the only thing that gave you extra player tools, but recruiting pirates was just the exact same mechanic and served just as much purpose.

It is, in a way, a new world. A world post-Juno. And a totally new protagonist. This is to be expected.

Yes, I said I usually skip to the story because that’s what matters most to me. All I meant was that the story is the essential part of the game. I’m cool with other things being in the game as long as the story which is the pivotal element be done well. I didn’t say ACII was 100% perfect and I skipped most of those stuff you mentioned, I only did the Tombs for the armor cause it makes Ezio more good-looking, to be quite honest.

Maybe I didn’t express it right or you misunderstood me but all I intended to say was that the story should be the thing they work hard on the most not just the gameplay. ACIV had a great gameplay but I guess nobody can deny that the story is a bit less interesting than the other AC games or felt more disconnected. In my country, I got the game November 1st but I heard of the reviews criticizing the story and I said “That’s not possible. AC always brings us great stories” but when I experienced the game, I understood what they were talking about. Edward is a great character, I liked him more than others, only Ezio is above him but to be quite honest, we got used to AC cliffhangers and stuff that actually matter to the plot. This one felt more like recorded memoirs of Desmond, plus random roaming and Edward’s story that was a universe of it’s own.