PDA

View Full Version : MILD SPOILERS- why I screamed at my TV on meeting the Assassins in Black Flag

Lincoln MuaDib
11-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Ok, so I didn't play the first Assassins Creed.

But I DID play AC2, wherein I went from lowly, angry Ezio to becoming accepted as an Assassin.
Then in AC2 Brotherhood, I became the new Mentor. And created Assassins under me.
Then AC2 Revelations, I went off, set up an entirely new chapter in Constantinople and retired as the singular Mentor.

In AC3 I went from Connor being "unworthy to be an Assassin" (thanks for that, Achilles) to being the new Mentor of the USA, with myriad Assassins under me.

So when, in AC4 (I haven't finished it yet, don't spoil for me please!) I meet the Mentor (when Kidd has brought me) and he's all like, "You wear the robes of an Assassin, but you haven't earned them."
I was like, I HAVEN'T EARNED THEM??? I'VE BEEN THE MENTOR OF THIS ORDER THREE TIMES!!!!!

Yeah, I know, I know, Edward isn't Altair, Ezio or Connor, but I was stil kinda, GRRRR, do you KNOW who you're talking to?

Plus I was wearing Ezio's Robes at the time of our conversation (reward for having completed the previous games) so I was like, "Haven't earnt THIS uniform? Dude be TRIPPIN'."

I'm probably insane, I know.

Anyone else have this visceral reaction when NPCs tell Edward, "Oh, you don't know anything about the Assassin Order. But you can do Assassination Contracts for us if you'd like."
By that point I'd already done maybe 5.

(Related point- running into Rebecca and Shaun as "coffee guy" and "courier" and wanting to yalk to them but they'd be all, "who are you?" Frustrating, yes?)

rec0n09
11-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Nah, I didn't have the same reaction as you. When that native assassin guy said, "You wear the robes of an Assassin, but you haven't earned them." I was like yeah, and how did Edward go from being some poor guy that woke up one day and decided he wanted to be a pirate, all of a sudden have assassin moves, running, jumping, climbing, wrist blade know-how, etc... The story should have had him mentored by the assassin's but still have the inner struggle between following the Assassin's cause and his own selfish gain.

Lincoln MuaDib
11-10-2013, 10:12 AM
When he first puts on the Assassin's robes (and oh boy, wasn't THAT Assassin bad at fighting? Wow.) and he goes through the gear, finds the wrist blades and just throws them aside... "What's this? Don't know." *throws away*
I totally facepalmed.

LinkAndLoad
11-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Nah, I didn't have the same reaction as you. When that native assassin guy said, "You wear the robes of an Assassin, but you haven't earned them." I was like yeah, and how did Edward go from being some poor guy that woke up one day and decided he wanted to be a pirate, all of a sudden have assassin moves, running, jumping, climbing, wrist blade know-how, etc... The story should have had him mentored by the assassin's but still have the inner struggle between following the Assassin's cause and his own selfish gain.

Well he has the bloodline which gives him eagle vision, him being a pirate and all (he did this for his girlfriend / wife for more money, yeah woman ey) advanced his fighting skills.
He is a pirate not an assassin with excellent fighting skills only caring for his own agenda.

Sn1p3r-28
11-10-2013, 10:19 AM
When he first puts on the Assassin's robes (and oh boy, wasn't THAT Assassin bad at fighting? Wow.) and he goes through the gear, finds the wrist blades and just throws them aside... "What's this? Don't know." *throws away*
I totally facepalmed.

To be fair, Duncan was seemingly injured and if I remember correctly the hidden blades were broken (The blades were all bent out of shape) at least that's what I saw.

Rithrius
11-10-2013, 10:19 AM
I totally facepalmed.

They were broken.

Lincoln MuaDib
11-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Yeah, but as a Pirate he's used to fixing things, I would have thought he'd put them aside for repair later...

roostersrule2
11-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Hahahahaha this is almost as good as I wonder the testicle.

MnemonicSyntax
11-10-2013, 10:34 AM

But I DID play AC2, wherein I went from lowly, angry Ezio to becoming accepted as an Assassin.
Then in AC2 Brotherhood, I became the new Mentor. And created Assassins under me.
Then AC2 Revelations, I went off, set up an entirely new chapter in Constantinople and retired as the singular Mentor.

In AC3 I went from Connor being "unworthy to be an Assassin" (thanks for that, Achilles) to being the new Mentor of the USA, with myriad Assassins under me.

So when, in AC4 (I haven't finished it yet, don't spoil for me please!) I meet the Mentor (when Kidd has brought me) and he's all like, "You wear the robes of an Assassin, but you haven't earned them."
I was like, I HAVEN'T EARNED THEM??? I'VE BEEN THE MENTOR OF THIS ORDER THREE TIMES!!!!!

Yeah, I know, I know, Edward isn't Altair, Ezio or Connor, but I was stil kinda, GRRRR, do you KNOW who you're talking to?

Plus I was wearing Ezio's Robes at the time of our conversation (reward for having completed the previous games) so I was like, "Haven't earnt THIS uniform? Dude be TRIPPIN'."

Anyone else have this visceral reaction when NPCs tell Edward, "Oh, you don't know anything about the Assassin Order. But you can do Assassination Contracts for us if you'd like."

(Related point- running into Rebecca and Shaun as "coffee guy" and "courier" and wanting to yalk to them but they'd be all, "who are you?" Frustrating, yes?)

The irony here is hilarious, because you seem upset that Ah Tabai didn't know you personally because you role played characters who were mentors of the Assassin Brotherhood, yet you weren't playing them here. Yet with Shaun and Rebecca, you expect them to know you, but the thing is, in the modern era you are playing as YOU.

Since you didn't play 1, it may help to know that Altai was demoted completely and had to make his way through the ranks to Master Assassin again, due to his arrogance. Edward hasn't earned the robes he's wearing because of a similar situation. Killing people well doesn't automatically make you a member of the Brotherhood.

I totally facepalmed.

I totally facepalmed at this post. Go back and watch the sequence again. The hidden blade is bent to hell and couldn't even retract. In fact, it was so bent, it was borderline comical.

Lincoln MuaDib
11-10-2013, 10:52 AM
The irony here is hilarious, because you seem upset that Ah Tabai didn't know you personally because you role played characters who were mentors of the Assassin Brotherhood, yet you weren't playing them here. Yet with Shaun and Rebecca, you expect them to know you, but the thing is, in the modern era you are playing as YOU.

Since you didn't play 1, it may help to know that Altai was demoted completely and had to make his way through the ranks to Master Assassin again, due to his arrogance. Edward hasn't earned the robes he's wearing because of a similar situation. Killing people well doesn't automatically make you a member of the Brotherhood.

I totally facepalmed at this post. Go back and watch the sequence again. The hidden blade is bent to hell and couldn't even retract. In fact, it was so bent, it was borderline comical.

How is that "ironic"?
I did say I was aware my response was visceral, that I was aware that Edward was not Altair, Ezio or Connor. (I think I even stated I was probably insane. ;) )

I haven't played AC1, but I am aware Altair got demoted. The point is he made his way back up to Mentor. Then, as an old dude, he went back and retook the order as Mentor when he had been exiled.

Still... three Mentors, as I said.

And yes, I DID see that the blade was bent. But as I said before... he's a pirate used to repairing things, and he has a certain curiosity.

But hey, that's just how I see it, it doesn't make either of us wrong if we disagree.

MnemonicSyntax
11-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Just like killing others well doesn't mean you're automatically part of the Brotherhood, a pirate doesn't make necessarily make him Fix-It Felix.

He did mention to the Templars that they were "damaged beyond repair." Unfortunately, not everything can be fixed.

Lincoln MuaDib
11-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Still... Whilst nonfunctional, the plans would be interesting.
After all, later on in the game he does collect up blueprints for upgrades or Interesting Things.
When Ezio has his hidden blade broken in Revelations, he doesn't cast aside his wristlets.

Yeah, I know, different characters.

Just a different point of view.

AdamPearce
11-10-2013, 02:14 PM
I facepalm when I saw Ah Tabai I was like ''Are you kiddiing? The Templars get to have a GOVERNOR in their rank but the Assassin are limited to a jungle tribe who wears pelts since it doesn't know clothing? For real? Jaysus, this is bull****''

At this particualr moment I stopped playing as an Assassin. Anyway, the naval is good and the water looks nice!

pacmanate
11-10-2013, 02:41 PM
I can't even, you screamed at your TV for such a stupid reason.

pacmanate
11-10-2013, 02:41 PM
I actually feel like impaling my testicles onto a spike covered in lemon and salt.

lothario-da-be
11-10-2013, 02:51 PM
So OP, when you play an rpg do you scream at your tv " GIVE ME THE BEST WEAPONS AND ARMOR NOW" because you played tons of rpgs before?

Shahkulu101
11-10-2013, 03:13 PM
I actually feel like impaling my testicles onto a spike covered in lemon and salt.

That's how Connor dies, because he was forced to read you and roosterules posts.

itsamea-mario
11-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Fun fact, you aren't edward.

Shahkulu101
11-10-2013, 03:23 PM
I feel all empty inside, like.

Kaschra
11-10-2013, 03:50 PM
I agree with you OP, you are insane lol

DynaRider
11-10-2013, 05:36 PM
I have a hard time accepting Edward as an Assassin. Seems he is just some poor schmuck trying to impress his wife so he becomes a pirate and spends most of his time doing pirate stuff. I'm surprised they didn't give him an eye patch and a parrot on his shoulder.

rec0n09
11-10-2013, 06:46 PM
The game was amazing and best one in the series in my opinion. I really loved the pirate world. Its just that the story was HORRIBLE!!! At several of the cut scenes I didn't know what the heck was going on or at least to me, the story didn't flow progressively.

MnemonicSyntax
11-11-2013, 02:26 AM
I have a hard time accepting Edward as an Assassin. Seems he is just some poor schmuck trying to impress his wife so he becomes a pirate and spends most of his time doing pirate stuff. I'm surprised they didn't give him an eye patch and a parrot on his shoulder.

Yeah, it's called redemption. He eventually learns to stop caring just about himself and more about others, especially when everyone he cares about is gone.

The game was amazing and best one in the series in my opinion. I really loved the pirate world. Its just that the story was HORRIBLE!!! At several of the cut scenes I didn't know what the heck was going on or at least to me, the story didn't flow progressively.

Not sure what story you observed then. I think it was really well told. What part confused you?

AssassinHMS
11-11-2013, 03:00 AM

Pherhaps you long for a less self-centered story? An Assassin's Creed where you are the assassin, not Edward, not Ezio, where you make your choices according to your own personality and not to the protagonist's and where the world around changes according to the outcome of said choices. Say, you are an assassin by the begining of the game and the game tests your assassin skills and treats you accordingly (tougher oponents for a player who knows how to stay hidden, who enjoys the thrill of escaping and the tension when striving to be undetected).

SleezeRocker
11-11-2013, 03:06 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfUM5xHUY4M

GreatBeyonder
11-11-2013, 03:37 AM
@Linclon Muadib- Honestly not sure if Connor qualifies as Mentor. as Achilles was still in charge. Still, I agree, the Assassins were very disappointing in Black Flag. Your first kill is a Master Assassin personally trained by the local Mentor, which leads me to believe Ah Tabai is a pretty crappy teacher. Considering how easy it is to impress the Templar chapter without having the faintest clue of who the hell these people are,, I can only assume the bar is pretty low in that part of the world, especially as you kill loads of them in the next scene. Its no wonder they're losing so badly.

Al Mualim, Mario Auditore, and Yusuf Tazim commanded their own armies, and are holding things together long before you show up. Ah Tabai just sort of yells at you for killing all his men... instead of teaching his men how to live up to their titles. Even Achilles Davenport, who also already lost his war, at least knew how to train a proper killing machine, and might have bee more successful if he weren't black in the wrong time at the wrong place.

Outside of James Kidd, even the other Assassins are presented are disorganized and unqualified. Two of them are fraternizing with the enemy, one's an alcoholic, one's far more concerned with racial politics, and the last one spends more time hunting rodents on an abandoned island than anything resembling assassination. (Okay, I acknowledge the black guy has a fair point on targeting slavers over silly Templar plots.

Even the Assassination contracts wreak of hypocrisy and laziness. They made sense when you were the only qualified Assassin in Rome or on Lorenzo de'Medici's payroll, but now, you're not even an Assassin at all. And now, you're hunting people for doing the same crap you do every five minutes. Poaching? KILL! Treasure hunting? KILL! Smuggling? KILL! Violently breaking out of prison? KILL! Piracy? KILL!

Everytime a Templar dies and tells me what is wrong with Edward's life, I nod my head sadly in agreement at the screen and murmur, "You don't know the half of it, boyo..." Especially when the Templars are all pleasant and competent people. They don't even have a Charles Lee on their team to remind what jerks Templars can be, they're all actually well-adjusted and are not only trying to make a better world, but are actually succeeding. I feel far more sympathy for Woodes Rogers than I ever did for any AC protagonist outside of Connor. Even Torres dies saying nice things about his murderer, and HE'S supposed to be the fiendish mastermind. There's more wickedness in Ezio than there ever were in this game's Templars.

I can only assume Mr. McDevitt was aiming to write a satire of previous games, and if so, he succeeded admirably. Otherwise, I have no idea why I should care about Ah Tabai's motley group. He lacks Achilles's paternal warmth and Al Mualim's cunning diatribe's or even Mario's fun charm. Even Yusuf was a proper leader, and he wasn't even a Mentor, just a dude looking to protect his city.

So yeah... the Assassins are pretty lame in this game...

xx-pyro
11-11-2013, 03:50 AM

No that thread was golden, this one isn't even near to it.

@OP, no because everytime they said that it was true. Edward stole robes he thought looked flashy and had no idea what they truly meant until the end of the game.

V-FOR-VITIELLO
11-13-2013, 07:12 PM
you are crazy, that is all

The Apache
11-13-2013, 10:50 PM
Yeah, you're pretty much insane, OP. There is really no other way to describe it. None of your post made any sense to me.

Lincoln MuaDib
11-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Quite a lot of but hurt here.

Yeah, I know, I know, Edward isn't Altair, Ezio or Connor [...]

So I guess I was hoping I'd get a few, "no, I didn't get that reaction, but I recognise that you did" responses.

I wasn't expecting the number of AAAARRRGGGHHHH I DISAGREE WITH YOU SO RAAARRRGGGHHH YOU ARE STUPID RRRRAAAGGHH I CAN'T HANDLE YOUR OPINION RRRAAARRRGGHHH IM GOING TO IMPALE MY TESTICLESSSSSSSS!!!!
Responses.

Some people, eh?

*laughs*

Lincoln MuaDib
11-15-2013, 01:20 PM
To make it clear to those too dense to understand this... It is entirely fair that the Assassins treat Edward as not worthy to be an Assassin. Because he's not, knows nothing about them etc etc.

But viscerally, to be treated (via Edward) to be told I (the person playing the game) am not worthy of being Assassin- even though it was necessary (because, as I stated in the ORIGINAL POST, Edward is not Altair, Ezio or Connor), still irks me.

It doesn't logically make sense, but it still irks me. I am aware it makes as much sense as yelling at the screen in AC 3 when you discover you were playing as a Templar for the first hour or so.

But if this post makes you want to lacerate your testicles, go right ahead and fulfil the cliche of overreacting male gamer. ;)