PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed IV - Optimisation

gamerexq
11-09-2013, 02:51 PM
So guys, I couldn't help my self and I went ahead and bought AC IV even after all those problems that I encountered through AC III, and I was really disappointed with ubisoft and the way they approached the problem with bad optimization especially in Boston and New York area.

My question is, do you think that this game will be better optimised, and is this another port from console?

YazX_
11-09-2013, 06:02 PM
According to Ubisoft, PC is the lead platform, meaning its not a port rather than the game is developed on PC, so generally speaking, the game should utilize all of your hardware capabilities. and if you ask me, it makes sense for the PC to be lead platform as next gen consoles are x86 architecture, and taking into consideration that next gen consoles are weaker than normal gaming PC, so Devs need to utilize every single aspect of the hardware to reach the max out of these consoles.

Main problem in AC3 was CPU utilization, AC games are very CPU dependent, AC3 only used one core of the CPU and other cores were just hanging out drinking some tea, this lead to massive FPS drops and problems. now as next gen consoles are equipped with 8 cores CPU, they cant just utilize one core and leave others, so naturally the game on all of the 3 platforms will be optimized to use all CPU cores.

BUT dont forget that all of this is just a speculation and nobody can answer you 100% true answer until the game is released, if you are very skeptic about this, then i would suggest you cancel your pre-order and wait for reviews and problems posted on forums to be sure.

HypeR.tgL
11-09-2013, 06:41 PM
The game will be great in terms of performance actually.

http://www.dsogaming.com/interviews/ubisoft-talks-ac4-tech-anvilnext-engine-features-global-illumination-dx11-2-amds-mantle/

Johny-Al-Knox
11-09-2013, 07:47 PM
According to Ubisoft, PC is the lead platform, meaning its not a port rather than the game is developed on PC, so generally speaking, the game should utilize all of your hardware capabilities. and if you ask me, it makes sense for the PC to be lead platform as next gen consoles are x86 architecture, and taking into consideration that next gen consoles are weaker than normal gaming PC, so Devs need to utilize every single aspect of the hardware to reach the max out of these consoles.

Main problem in AC3 was CPU utilization, AC games are very CPU dependent, AC3 only used one core of the CPU and other cores were just hanging out drinking some tea, this lead to massive FPS drops and problems. now as next gen consoles are equipped with 8 cores CPU, they cant just utilize one core and leave others, so naturally the game on all of the 3 platforms will be optimized to use all CPU cores.

BUT dont forget that all of this is just a speculation and nobody can answer you 100% true answer until the game is released, if you are very skeptic about this, then i would suggest you cancel your pre-order and wait for reviews and problems posted on forums to be sure.

PC wasnt lead platform for black flag atleast. Someone already confirmed that they "targetet" current gen at first. Then upgraded for next gen.
But the big question how much better the PC version will be compared to AC 3.

They even said in some interviews PC/next gen versions were last versions to get finished

YazX_
11-09-2013, 11:07 PM
PC wasnt lead platform for black flag atleast. Someone already confirmed that they "targetet" current gen at first. Then upgraded for next gen.
But the big question how much better the PC version will be compared to AC 3.

They even said in some interviews PC/next gen versions were last versions to get finished

well, Ashraf who is the creative director said that the PC is the lead platform and up to this moment, Ubisoft confirms what he said, so whether this SOMEONE of yours confirmed that they targeted next gen consoles or not, its not related for PC being lead platform.

strigoi1958
11-10-2013, 01:12 AM
I think that with consoles it is easier to produce a game because there's the new xbox and the old xbox... there's the ps4 and the ps3... on PC's there are so many variables that a lot more effort has to be put in to make things compatible and it will always take longer to add the last finishing touches... so when it is released first on consoles people will assume the pc version was adapted but according to what I've seen/ read....in interviews, blogs and reviews/previews ACIV is a pc lead... and that's good enough for me (even though I don't care at all where, when and on what it was developed just as long as I get it on pc :D )
as for AC3 to date it is the best game I have ever played and if there were any optimization issues on my pc I didn't see it because the game was so good I was totally immersed. As far as I recall it was an Nvidia problem and although there are huge problems with them at present (if you check their driver forum) I think they've been working hard to get ACIV optimized.

thekyle0
11-10-2013, 01:25 AM
well, Ashraf who is the creative director said that the PC is the lead platform and up to this moment, Ubisoft confirms what he said, so whether this SOMEONE of yours confirmed that they targeted next gen consoles or not, its not related for PC being lead platform.
HERE I AM! Let the record show that I have reposted this link three times now trying to despell the conflicting reports Ubi has sent out regarding the master version of AC4.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/2/4795024/why-assassins-creed-always-launches-last-on-pc
For Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, Decant said the master version was the current-gen console version — both Xbox 360 and PS3 SKUs were developed simultaneously on the Anvil game engine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anvil_(game_engine)).
Besides, it doesn't make any sense conceptually to say PC was master build because by definition the master build needs to be finished first before the others are adapted from it. PC and next gen weren't announced as gold until a few days ago, after current gen already launched.
AC4 PC goes gold: http://www.incgamers.com/2013/11/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-goes-gold-for-pc

Solid-Snake-Eyes
11-10-2013, 04:44 AM
[/COLOR]HERE I AM! Let the record show that I have reposted this link three times now trying to despell the conflicting reports Ubi has sent out regarding the master version of AC4.

[/FONT][/I]Besides, it doesn't make any sense conceptually to say PC was master build because by definition the master build needs to be finished first before the others are adapted from it. PC and next gen weren't announced as gold until a few days ago, after current gen already launched.
AC4 PC goes gold: http://www.incgamers.com/2013/11/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-goes-gold-for-pc
Just an observation, but that article that says "goes gold" contains nothing to do with the game going gold within the actual article, only in the title, and there is no source given for their claim that it's gone gold. The article is basically nothing but a list of what editions are being sold.

thekyle0
11-10-2013, 06:20 AM
In that case, please see the sticky thread at the top of this forum titled "Sticky: Ubisoft® announces Gold status for Assassin’s Creed® IV Black Flag™ on Windows® PC (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/806259-Ubisoft%C2%AE-announces-Gold-status-for-Assassin%E2%80%99s-Creed%C2%AE-IV-Black-Flag%E2%84%A2-on-Windows%C2%AE-PC)"

Solid-Snake-Eyes
11-11-2013, 12:43 AM
In that case, please see the sticky thread at the top of this forum titled "Sticky: Ubisoft® announces Gold status for Assassin’s Creed® IV Black Flag™ on Windows® PC (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/806259-Ubisoft®-announces-Gold-status-for-Assassin’s-Creed®-IV-Black-Flag™-on-Windows®-PC)"
That appears to be an official press release, a much better source. Cool.