PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 4: When BOARDING, what does the skull man over an enemy sailor mean?

Echelon_4_Mars
11-09-2013, 08:21 AM
Sorry, that was supposed to say: "When boarding, what does the skull MEAN..." not 'man' - forgot to shut off autofill on my tablet!!! Arghh!

Been playing Black Flag (PS3 console) for a just a little while now (got the game a bit later then release date because I ordered the special edition and had to wait for it to come in the mail, plus I haven't been able to dedicate a lot of time to it)...anyways...I've boarded a gazillion ships, but only just recently, I've started seeing 2 or 3 enemy sailors with a small, white skull icon over their head.

The first time, I figured it might be an assassination target - but then there was another skull icon on the same ship. I've encountered these skull icons on several ships (only after boarding and engaging in fight on the ship's deck). So, then I began to wonder if it was a pirate symbol and I wasn't supposed to kill them because it might mean they could be turned into a crew member. Not knowing what to do, I've been killing them - figure it's better safe then sorry. I know some enemy characters have these sort of 'strength meters' for 'boss' sailors (the ones that are harder to kill) - didn't know the skull might be indicating crew leaders or something like that - but, I just DON'T KNOW!

As of yet, I have NOT been playing this game online.

I looked in the e-manual within the game, checked on line and in this forum (as best I could) and couldn't find out what these icons mean.
I'm sure it's something insanely simple that I'm just missing, but I would really appreciate some help in this matter.

Does anyone know what this skull icon means?

Thanks in advance!

Bad0Day0Killer
11-09-2013, 08:27 AM
You will see both the Ally and Skull above some enemy's. I am still not 100% sure what they are for exactly, but i only get them when i lose a crew member, and the skull to me simply means they killed my crew member. For the ally symbol it means one of my crew, to me they killed a enemy. but im not 100% sure that is the answer. Maybe 80% sure.

Rithrius
11-09-2013, 08:28 AM
I always think the skull means that enemy is almost dead.

The ally symbol means he needs help. That i'm certain of.

superkootje
11-09-2013, 09:59 AM
I believe that the enemy with the skull above is head is going to kill the ally with the blue dot above his if you do not interfere.
So kill the skull enemy as quickly as possible before he kills the blue dot ally.

ZeRoDiVide 101
11-09-2013, 01:01 PM
I believe that the enemy with the skull above is head is going to kill the ally with the blue dot above his if you do not interfere.
So kill the skull enemy as quickly as possible before he kills the blue dot ally.

+1

I've stood and watched this play out, I'm 99% sure this is correct.

LinkAndLoad
11-09-2013, 01:08 PM

This seems logical with what i've seen.

SenseHomunculus
11-09-2013, 01:45 PM
It's an interesting idea, they should have done something more with this, like keep track of it in your statistics of how many endangered crewmembers you've saved. Otherwise, there's really nothing at stake because rescuing an adrift sailor or getting more crew by beating another ship or from the tavern is so bloody easy.

Rithrius
11-09-2013, 01:56 PM
It's an interesting idea, they should have done something more with this, like keep track of it in your statistics of how many endangered crewmembers you've saved.

You get an achievement if you take over a ship without losing any crew members. I suppose that counts.

SleezeRocker
11-09-2013, 03:29 PM

This

superkootje
11-09-2013, 06:10 PM
I'm awesome :P

Sturnz0r
11-09-2013, 07:14 PM
You get an achievement if you take over a ship without losing any crew members. I suppose that counts.

do schooner's count, lol? Had a Four-piece with the swivel, once. GN

SenseHomunculus
11-09-2013, 07:37 PM

Actually I didn't realize that! Thanks for the info! That is something, yes.

Echelon_4_Mars
11-10-2013, 03:16 AM
Thanks for all the great answers and input.

I'm thinking it must be superkootje said - makes the most sense. Once it must be something not too complicated.

Assassin's Creed & Elder Scrolls (Oblivion & Skyrim) are my favorite games, but I gotta say: Black Flag isn't all I hoped it would be. Was hoping they'd bring back the puzzles/crytex from the earlier AC games and the game would be more like those - with SOME variations. The Mayan puzzles are about as difficult as turning the channel on the tv!

And what's with the regenerating health and simplistic moves? What happen to the old combos? It's like they have - excuse the term - idiot proofed the game. Except for the battles against the GIANT ships and some of the fortresses, it's nearly impossible to die - I'm having deja vu of where Prince Of Persia went - and not in a good way.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think I could EVER hate AC - just was hoping they had learned from previous mistakes of what NOT to do!

One last complaint for now: WTF happened to the assassins!!! Is the game now just 'Creed'? I know Edward can send ships on mission, but ONLY online and I'm not playing the game online right now. Do I ever get to send out assassin's EVENTUALLY or is this what it is?!?!? What's Assassin's Creed without the assassin's?!?!?! Grrrrrr.

Landruner
11-10-2013, 04:42 AM
Sorry, that was supposed to say: "When boarding, what does the skull MEAN..." not 'man' - forgot to shut off autofill on my tablet!!! Arghh!

Been playing Black Flag (PS3 console) for a just a little while now (got the game a bit later then release date because I ordered the special edition and had to wait for it to come in the mail, plus I haven't been able to dedicate a lot of time to it)...anyways...I've boarded a gazillion ships, but only just recently, I've started seeing 2 or 3 enemy sailors with a small, white skull icon over their head.

The first time, I figured it might be an assassination target - but then there was another skull icon on the same ship. I've encountered these skull icons on several ships (only after boarding and engaging in fight on the ship's deck). So, then I began to wonder if it was a pirate symbol and I wasn't supposed to kill them because it might mean they could be turned into a crew member. Not knowing what to do, I've been killing them - figure it's better safe then sorry. I know some enemy characters have these sort of 'strength meters' for 'boss' sailors (the ones that are harder to kill) - didn't know the skull might be indicating crew leaders or something like that - but, I just DON'T KNOW!

As of yet, I have NOT been playing this game online.

I looked in the e-manual within the game, checked on line and in this forum (as best I could) and couldn't find out what these icons mean.
I'm sure it's something insanely simple that I'm just missing, but I would really appreciate some help in this matter.

Does anyone know what this skull icon means?

Thanks in advance!

As far as I could get it, the skull above the heads of your foes stands for the main targets that attack your mates you have to protect for not losing crew members - So, I believe that when you board a ship they are your main target(s) to take care off if you do not want to loose crew members.

rec0n09
11-10-2013, 08:33 AM

This is true. You can also hear your ally whimper, "I need help here! I'm bleeding out!" ...etc..."