PDA

View Full Version : What does the Recommended Requeriments stands for?

BloodHerritage
11-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and i'm interesting in know what exactly does the recommended requeriments means for ubisoft.

In assassin's creed 3 the pc requeriments were:

CPU; Q6400
GPU; GTX250

But i have a Q9550 + GTX 560 and if i were to play with everything maxed out (except antialiasing witch i dont see any need to use it), i'd play with arround 36 fps with some drops to 22. So i play with Environment at medium, shadows maxed out and textures + antialiasing in the minimum and i get 45~50 fps with drops to 26 fps.
There are also some places (very few) where i get 60 fps and i always get blown away with the fluidity of the animations in those rare places.

So, what does ubisoft make recommended requeriments for? I thought those were the requeriments to play with everything maxed out with 60 stable fps. Even if it was 60 fps with drops to 30 ocassionally when there's too much trees (in frontier) or too much fog (in boston) but no, i surprass the recommendeds and yet i cant even have 60 fps at almost any place.

Now i see Assassin's Creed 4 and it has:

i5 2500S and GTX 470. With the CPU perfoming 50% better than mine and a gpu that's generally the same as mine (like 2~5% worst), i'm wondering wheres i'll be or not able to play assassin's creed 4 with 1080p and shadows maxed out (yes i'm a biitch of the shadows, i hate pixelated or halve-refreshed shadows) or i'll need to play with everything on the minimum in order to have a good experience.

YazX_
11-09-2013, 12:12 AM
i didnt find the question, you just asked about requirements then answered it yourself!

Anyway, the only question i found in what you wrote is "will you be able to max out shadows in AC4 using 460 GTX and Q9550"

The answer is PROBABLY no, 460 GTX was considered mid-range at the time period of 400 series, thats 3-4 years ago, i guess you will be fine at medium/high but not HBAO+. anyway, according to Nvidia, HBAO+ doubles the overall number of samples per pixel, runs twice as fast, and uses the latest DirectX 11 technologies.

P.S: i said probably as its impossible to tell without trying out the game and see the level of PC optimization it has, this is just a speculation and all answers will be so until the game releases and try it out.

BloodHerritage
11-09-2013, 12:25 AM
I asked what do the recommended requirements set the bar for.... Like, if i have a PC with the recommended requirements, what can i expect from the game? 60 fps wtih everything maxed out? 30 fps? 60 fps at medium?

Also, i made a typo and writted 460 instead of 560. However, 560 is just sighly better than a 470.

Note that i'm mostly interested in setting shadows to max and have everything else in the lower setting posible without having major fps impacts.

I've read Mr.Shade saying that AcIV has been made in PC and then ported to the consoles but i'm very scepikal about it since 8 monthes ago there were some news that said both ps3 and xbox360 versions were being made first.

strigoi1958
11-09-2013, 02:18 AM
I've always taken the recommended requirements to mean mainly middle settings so I would be expecting 60 fps with most settings in the middle but as quality improves then performance suffers... but a little tinkering and increasing shadows while lowering other options should keep the fps reasonable.... plus as newer drivers arrive that have better optimisation the quality should improve without fps dropping. FPS has never been high on my list as I've never noticed the difference between 55 fps and 56 fps :-) always played with vsync on anyway so 60 fps all the time. It is hard to estimate how your choice would affect your fps but the 560 is a great card and out performs some more expensive cards. That said they still sell for 60 and up on ebay used and you can find 670's for around the 100 price so a 40 difference would not only increase your gaming pleasure of AC4 but also a lot more in the future. if you only kept the 670 for a year it would have cost 12p per day.. minus what you sell it for.

Forgot to add... if you O/C the 560 (if you haven't already) you'll see a decent increase of FPS at 1920 x 1080 I think I saw a review that jumped from low 40's to low 50's using afterburner 25% increase is massive (but Nvidia forums are full of cards who can only get drivers to work by declocking to factory speeds).

thekyle0
11-09-2013, 04:24 AM
With Ubisoft recommended settings tends to mean cross your fingers and hope they patch the game after launch rather than wait out the nuisance of players reporting all the graphical bugs. I didn't risk playing AC3 on PC, but whenever somebody comes here starting a thread to ask about AC3's poor performance one of the first things I see recommended is to turn down the shadows. Because AC4 is still on the same engine, this may screw you since that's your priority.

I've read Mr.Shade saying that AcIV has been made in PC and then ported to the consoles but i'm very scepikal about it since 8 monthes ago there were some news that said both ps3 and xbox360 versions were being made first.
Yes. http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/2/4795024/why-assassins-creed-always-launches-last-on-pc

For Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, Decant said the master version was the current-gen console version both Xbox 360 and PS3 SKUs were developed simultaneously on the Anvil game engine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anvil_(game_engine)).

YazX_
11-09-2013, 11:27 PM
I asked what do the recommended requirements set the bar for.... Like, if i have a PC with the recommended requirements, what can i expect from the game? 60 fps wtih everything maxed out? 30 fps? 60 fps at medium?

Also, i made a typo and writted 460 instead of 560. However, 560 is just sighly better than a 470.

Note that i'm mostly interested in setting shadows to max and have everything else in the lower setting posible without having major fps impacts.

Now when you put it this way, it differs for each publisher, but mainly and for Ubisoft specifically, recommended means that you can get 30 FPS on high settings (only image and textures quality) @ 1920 x 1080.

i read an article while back interviewing Luc Poirier who is the team lead in the rendering team for AC4 saying he maxed out the game getting 60 FPS using 670 GTX @ 1920 x 1080 resolution. so this should be promising.

strigoi1958
11-10-2013, 12:48 AM
YAZ_H thanks... that's good to know. I chose a gtx 670 because I never run higher than 1920 x 1080 so didn't need a 680 or higher... glad to see even after all this time my old 670 is still capable :) I've got an AMD system now with a modest card just in case the nvidia drivers interfere with my creed but at least I know I should get another 6 months to a year out of the 670

YazX_
11-10-2013, 12:18 PM
YAZ_H thanks... that's good to know. I chose a gtx 670 because I never run higher than 1920 x 1080 so didn't need a 680 or higher... glad to see even after all this time my old 670 is still capable :) I've got an AMD system now with a modest card just in case the nvidia drivers interfere with my creed but at least I know I should get another 6 months to a year out of the 670

670 GTX is considered a very powerful video card and it overclocks well matching 680 GTX performance, you are good to go for 1-2 years from now as long as you are gaming @ 1920 x 1080. technically speaking , Nvidia and AMD is now battling on 4k resolution performance, 4k still needs long way to go for it to be the standard resolution for gaming. most people are gaming @ 1920 x 1080 and switching slowly to 2560 x 1440.