PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 4 Opening sales down by 60% compared to AC3

pacmanate
11-08-2013, 10:15 AM
It's down by 60% in the UK, not everywhere.Now that is a LOT. Why do you think this is? I think it is down to one or more of these 3 factors:

1. Probably the most obvious, people are waiting for next gen versions.
2. After AC3 people lost hope (Being serious, no fanboys/girls please)
3. Yearly releases burning people out.So what do you guys think?

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/assassin-s-creed-4-opening-sales-60-percent-down-on-assassin-s-creed-iii-in-the-uk/1100-6416019/

roostersrule2
11-08-2013, 10:18 AM
That's only UK remember.

I'd have to say that it's the three reasons you listed.

If Ubi want to increase sales they should decrease the amount of games, more is less.

pacmanate
11-08-2013, 10:20 AM
That's only UK remember.

I'd have to say that it's the three reasons you listed.

If Ubi want to increase sales they should decrease the amount of games, more is less.

Sorry, just woke up, changed the OP.

Mr_Shade
11-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Might want to add the UK into the title too, since it's kinda a shock and awe one at present..

tbh I think we need to add I next gen sales to see if it's sales are really lower, since many are waiting..

SamBushen24
11-08-2013, 11:18 AM
I would definitely say it's your first point more than anything. If I wasn't waiting for next gen I would have picked it up day 1 without fail. I can imagine that's the main reason more than anything!

SixKeys
11-08-2013, 11:19 AM
I think many people are waiting for the next gen or PC versions. But franchise fatigue and general disappointment in AC3 probably plays a part too.

silvermercy
11-08-2013, 11:21 AM
I'm waiting for next gen even though I pre-ordered for both PS3 and PS4.

edit: Oh and also as the title says, GTA may have some role to play. Not many people can afford buying GTA and another game (AC or whatever) within a short period of time. They may also probably busy playing that still actually.

edit 2: and also AC3 had a larger marketing campaign last year. And the anticipation for the new assassin after Ezio, and conclusion to Desmond's story. It was like a season finale. Those always generate extra interest and sales.

pacmanate
11-08-2013, 11:23 AM
I'm waiting for next gen even though I pre-ordered for both PS3 and PS4.

No you're not cause you look at spoilers.

silvermercy
11-08-2013, 11:29 AM
No you're not cause you look at spoilers.
Ah.. yes. *ahem* Well, apart from that. :|

SneakierNote
11-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Soon as Xbox 1 comes out and PS4 they are going to absolutely kill it. Ubisoft IMO was thinking outside the box. Grab all the people they can right now for our old systems and in less then 30 days they will lay down another 60 dollars for next gen versions BRILLANT! AC4 has been called by IGN the most desirable game of 2013. With that huge megaphone and various other sources saying similar positive things this game IMO is going pure gold baby on or about 11/22/13.(Xbox 1 release date) Me tho personally I am buying Dead Rising and AC4. The missed oppertunity for this company is Watch Dogs. IMO they should of hired more people to work on this game. Now if Watch Dogs would be avilable at launch I would not be buying Dead Rising (Capcom Games). So to tie this up even with the let down of WD's Ubisoft is still in a spot only some companys dream of.

pacmanate
11-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Soon as Xbox 1 comes out and PS4 they are going to absolutely kill it. Ubisoft IMO was thinking outside the box. Grab all the people they can right now for our old systems and in less then 30 days they will lay down another 60 dollars for next gen versions BRILLANT! AC4 has been called by IGN the most desirable game of 2013. With that huge megaphone and various other sources saying similar positive things this game IMO is going pure gold baby on or about 11/22/13.(Xbox 1 release date) Me tho personally I am buying Dead Rising and AC4. The missed oppertunity for this company is Watch Dogs. IMO they should of hired more people to work on this game. Now if Watch Dogs would be avilable at launch I would not be buying Dead Rising (Capcom Games). So to tie this up even with the let down of WD's Ubisoft is still in a spot only some companys dream of.

Actually you can upgrade for 10. or $10. You don't pay full price again

SneakierNote
11-08-2013, 11:41 AM
I thought that was only if you had a MS store you could go to? Or you just do it on there online store?

pacmanate
11-08-2013, 12:03 PM
I thought that was only if you had a MS store you could go to? Or you just do it on there online store?

Online store, marketplace, whatever you want to call it.

ArabianFrost
11-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Even with Next-gen still on the horizon, a 60% margin is absolutely devastating. We could make a thousand petitions and threads all we want, but at the end, people's money is their loudest vote and I'm glad this happened. If not for a change in their annualisation plan, then at least it will cause them to consider actually improving the gameplag cores that have been nigh unchanged (for the better) since AC2. One thing for sure though, this game is going to sell like hotcakes in during sales. It may not be persuasive enough for a $60 order, but a lot of people would buy it on a discount just for the pirates.

Sushiglutton
11-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Another factor to remember is that AC3 sold exceptionally well. If I recall correctly AC games typically sold 7 million units and then AC3 sold about 12 million (it's always tricky to know during which time period and such). So a 60 % drop is sort of back to normal (even though it's still a fair bit below).

It's time for working on those mechanics imo!

SixKeys
11-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Even with Next-gen still on the horizon, a 60% margin is absolutely devastating. We could make a thousand petitions and threads all we want, but at the end, people's money is their loudest vote and I'm glad this happened. If not for a change in their annualisation plan, then at least it will cause them to consider actually improving the gameplag cores that have been nigh unchanged (for the better) since AC2. One thing for sure though, this game is going to sell like hotcakes in during sales. It may not be persuasive enough for a $60 order, but a lot of people would buy it on a discount just for the pirates.

One thing I'm worried about is that execs are always only concerned with numbers, not actual feedback. AC4 has been much better received than AC3 so far by both reviewers and players alike. The devs HAVE improved many gameplay elements in AC4 and it has not gone unnoticed. But if the sales are down this much from AC3, the higher-ups might take it as a sign that AC4 was a step in the wrong direction and that future games will have to be more like AC3 in order to succeed. And that would be very bad indeed.

roostersrule2
11-08-2013, 12:43 PM
Another factor to remember is that AC3 sold exceptionally well. If I recall correctly AC games typically sold 7 million units and then AC3 sold about 12 million (it's always tricky to know during which time period and such). So a 60 % drop is sort of back to normal (even though it's still a fair bit below).

It's time for working on those mechanics imo!The series had sold 57 million from it's first 5 games, so that's around 11.4 million copies sold per AC game, which seems rather high so that may incorporate the smaller games.

AC3 reached 7 million in it's first month which is almost the lifetime sales of ACB and ACR, I expect AC4 will do better then ACB and ACR but not as high as AC3, or even AC2 and 1.

Sushiglutton
11-08-2013, 12:44 PM
One thing I'm worried about is that execs are always only concerned with numbers, not actual feedback. AC4 has been much better received than AC3 so far by both reviewers and players alike. The devs HAVE improved many gameplay elements in AC4 and it has not gone unnoticed. But if the sales are down this much from AC3, the higher-ups might take it as a sign that AC4 was a step in the wrong direction and that future games will have to be more like AC3 in order to succeed. And that would be very bad indeed.

That's a good point! At the same time I think the execs understand that with sales being so concentrated on the first day the quality of the actual product is not that big of a factor. Especially stuff like how open the missions are will have very little impact on early sales (which is the vast majority of sales). I would guess they turn more to reviews (the dreaded metacritic), surveys and overall feedback to assess the quality and what worked/what didn't.

On a sidenote I wonder if this had anything to do with the Watchdogs delay.

The series had sold 57 million from it's first 5 games, so that's around 11.4 million copies sold per AC game, which seems rather high so that may incorporate the smaller games.

AC3 reached 7 million in it's first month which is almost the lifetime sales of ACB and ACR, I expect AC4 will do better then ACB and ACR but not as high as AC3, or even AC2 and 1.

Ok it seems like I'm completely off with my numbers the, thanks for clarifying :)

Farlander1991
11-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Ubisoft said a long time ago that it doesn't expect AC4 to sell nearly as much as AC3. So I'm pretty sure that since they were expecting that, they won't consider AC4 an unsuccessful direction.

pacmanate
11-08-2013, 12:57 PM
AC3 sold so much for a variety of factors, ending Desmonds trilogy, new protag, and crazy American marketing.

Sushiglutton
11-08-2013, 01:04 PM
AC3 sold so much for a variety of factors, ending Desmonds trilogy, new protag, and crazy American marketing.

So if the sales dropped 60% in the UK, wonder what they dropped in the US?

ArabianFrost
11-08-2013, 01:05 PM

Ubisoft said a long time ago that it doesn't expect AC4 to sell nearly as much as AC3. So I'm pretty sure that since they were expecting that, they won't consider AC4 an unsuccessful direction.

SixKeys does have a fair point. While it's sane to take the feedback into consideration, the execs may judge each game from a sales standpoint. They did expect AC4 to sell less, but even then, you can't shake off the feeling that they might think it's for the wrong reasons (I.e a return to linearity).

Still, even if they did consider AC4 flawed, at least the negatives were mostly concerning how much the core mehanics felt unchanged. Even at the worst of worst considerations bu Ubisoft, let's hope they look at the criticism regarding the core mechanics rather than consider this a call back to horrible hand-holding.

Megas_Doux
11-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Not susprised!

Aside from the reasons the op listed I too agree with sushi and rooster; ACIII sold alot for AC's standarts,.did not live up to the its huge expectations and thus many decided to pass on AC IV.
So please Ubi! skip 2014, give us a game in Asia and everybody will be happy... Well at least me.