PDA

View Full Version : Combat System Gripes

ArchonSeraphim
11-07-2013, 06:26 AM
Now I realize that the combat system in assassin's creed has always been a controversial issue, some people don't like how hordes of soldiers would stand around you waiting for their "Turn" to attack but in recent games that has been drastically improved with more aggressive AI. But that's not what I have to gripe about, when in combat anywhere in AC4BF whether it be on the deck of a ship or in the street, Edward seems to have a problem locking onto a single target and staying on that target, meaning that the brute you just knocked to the ground, or the captain you just stunned, isn't going to receive the killing blow he needs to get him out of the way and some agile or normal soldier is going to get your next strike...which is maddening when he gets back up and shoves his weapon into the back of your spine.

Something I could have overlooked thanks to the counterkill/dodge system...if that didn't suffer from a major problem as well, when countering Edward seems to prefer picking up the weapon lying on the ground in favor of protecting his own hide...the problem being that the counter and the pick up weapon option are both quick Tap Inputs, B if your an Xbox user and O for PS users if memory serves...a problem which could have been easily fixed by implementing a hold requirement for picking up weapons insuring that in the middle of a fight, Edward wouldn't try to pick up that shoddy cutlass lying on the ground instead of just sticking to his two very own cutlasses which may be of vastly superior quality and ALREADY IN HIS HANDS.

I have died so many times because Edward reached down to pick up a weapon whenever I tried to Block/Dodge/Counter a enemies, so please for the love of god Ubisoft find some way to fix this either in this game, or learn from it for the next game, so I can fight atop the pile of corpses and fallen weapons without my character suffering from this horrible design oversight which I have dubbed...Pugitmotfitis or PickUpGarbageInTheMiddleOfTheFight-itis

Landruner
11-07-2013, 06:57 AM
Now I realize that the combat system in assassin's creed has always been a controversial issue, some people don't like how hordes of soldiers would stand around you waiting for their "Turn" to attack but in recent games that has been drastically improved with more aggressive AI. But that's not what I have to gripe about, when in combat anywhere in AC4BF whether it be on the deck of a ship or in the street, Edward seems to have a problem locking onto a single target and staying on that target, meaning that the brute you just knocked to the ground, or the captain you just stunned, isn't going to receive the killing blow he needs to get him out of the way and some agile or normal soldier is going to get your next strike...which is maddening when he gets back up and shoves his weapon into the back of your spine.

Something I could have overlooked thanks to the counterkill/dodge system...if that didn't suffer from a major problem as well, when countering Edward seems to prefer picking up the weapon lying on the ground in favor of protecting his own hide...the problem being that the counter and the pick up weapon option are both quick Tap Inputs, B if your an Xbox user and O for PS users if memory serves...a problem which could have been easily fixed by implementing a hold requirement for picking up weapons insuring that in the middle of a fight, Edward wouldn't try to pick up that shoddy cutlass lying on the ground instead of just sticking to his two very own cutlasses which may be of vastly superior quality and ALREADY IN HIS HANDS.

I have died so many times because Edward reached down to pick up a weapon whenever I tried to Block/Dodge/Counter a enemies, so please for the love of god Ubisoft find some way to fix this either in this game, or learn from it for the next game, so I can fight atop the pile of corpses and fallen weapons without my character suffering from this horrible design oversight which I have dubbed...Pugitmotfitis or PickUpGarbageInTheMiddleOfTheFight-itis

Yep, I see what you mean, I was surprised at first, and for having replayed the 5 past games recently, AC4 has the more disappointing combats response of the all series. In fact that the only AC that I did not use other weapons than the Hidden blade or Edward's hands and disarming foes. I did not feel it right with the swords.

monteiro416
11-07-2013, 08:09 AM
I definitely agree with your post. It was incredibly annoying, especially on a ship when you have such limited space; there's a ton of soldiers surrounding you (your own crew and enemies), there's bodies everywhere and therefore dropped weapons, etc. It's especially annoying when you're defending a crew member from dying and you're just about to kill their attacker when Eddie moves onto another enemy, effectively ending that crewman's life.

I personally haven't had a lot of problems with Edward picking up dropped weapons though. In fact, I've had issues with him disarming a guard and discarding the weapon altogether, going back to unarmed. It was quite annoying in the smuggler's dens.