PDA

View Full Version : So basically they will milk the series and never give it a proper conclusion?

rupok2
11-07-2013, 04:45 AM
I see how it is now. They will milk the series until it cannot be milked anymore and then throw it aside. Thats what they basically said in reddit. If thats how its gonna be then I am done with this series. I have been a huge fan since the first 2 games with the epic intros and endings and immersed myself in the conspiracy filled wonderful storyline of the modern day. templars and assassins Now the writer himself says they don't even care about that storyline anymore. I mean I kind of expected this but didn't think they would straight up say that they don't care about the fans, and they care about milking the franchise for money. Thankfully with the past few games being meh its not that hard to say my goodbyes. Ill cancel that preorder of ac4 on steam too.

Inb4 "go ahead and leave" and "we don't care"

ace3001
11-07-2013, 04:50 AM
Sadly, this seems to be the case. Those of us who actually had an interest in the ongoing modern narrative were always a minority. People just wanted to frolic around in the past settings only, so now Ubisoft is giving it to them. That's probably why Desmond's story ended the way it did in the first place, after throwing aside what Subject 16 was doing entirely. In that regard, I really miss what AC used to be.
I'll still be getting AC IV, though, since it looks like a really fun game, but unless Ubisoft can keep on delivering something of that level with each release, I'll probably stay away from AC in the future.

EDIT: Oh, and they do care about the fans, as in the fans who are ready to annually throw in money. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that, since Ubisoft is a commercial company selling a product, not a charity. It's the ruining of a good series in the process of that is what I find hard to agree with.

HiddenKiller612
11-07-2013, 04:50 AM
Ok.

MIA SILENT
11-07-2013, 04:59 AM
You only just realized that they're milking the series? lol

There's still going to be a present day story but it will be less plot driven. Basically they've realized that a plot can't go on forever and at some point people will need a resolution. By making it less plot driven they can extend the life of the story and the life of the series.

rupok2
11-07-2013, 05:09 AM
You only just realized that they're milking the series? lol

There's still going to be a present day story but it will be less plot driven. Basically they've realized that a plot can't go on forever and at some point people will need a resolution. By making it less plot driven they can extend the life of the story and the life of the series.

I knew they were milking the series but I didn't think they would completely just throw out the modern day plot. Thats what makes the games interesting, the assassin and templar fights and plot. Otherwise the stories in ac can be replaced with any other cliche storyline. I wondered why the modern day stuff suffered so much after revelations and ac3 and now I know why, they don't care about it and will destroy it so they can keep milking it. Many games and other series build a world, finish a plotline and then create spinoffs. The AC world has enough to do that but they are too lazy to do it. They should just drop the name Assassins creed because it seems like the series has already lost much of the connection to the creed. It is becoming more and more soulless and its very apparent with AC4. Many people tell me that while the games mechanics are still from old ac games the story has severed most of its ties to the Creed.

phoenix-force411
11-07-2013, 05:25 AM
You can't always live by the creed, this is something that I thought Edward did get away from. He's sort of helping the assassins indirectly while seeking what he wants. They're not milking the series to the extent where it's become permanently damaged. With Desmond dying, it allowed more things to be put in, and there's always more than meets the eye. I always find something very special within all the AC games I played, and I still keep all of my AC games.

xx-pyro
11-07-2013, 05:30 AM
Yes that's exactly what Darby said. *dripping sarcasm*

MIA SILENT
11-07-2013, 05:37 AM
You can't always live by the creed, this is something that I thought Edward did get away from. He's sort of helping the assassins indirectly while seeking what he wants. They're not milking the series to the extent where it's become permanently damaged. With Desmond dying, it allowed more things to be put in, and there's always more than meets the eye. I always find something very special within all the AC games I played, and I still keep all of my AC games.

I think a lot of people would like an Assassin with a more direct and personal relationship to the Creed. We haven't really had this since AC1. I do like Edward though.

While the series is being milked, Ubisoft do manage to make the yearly releases top quality and really enjoyable. Thinking about it, I've bought every major AC game on the day of release. I can't say that for anything else!

phoenix-force411
11-07-2013, 05:46 AM
I think a lot of people would like an Assassin with a more direct and personal relationship to the Creed. We haven't really had this since AC1. I do like Edward though.

While the series is being milked, Ubisoft do manage to make the yearly releases top quality and really enjoyable. Thinking about it, I've bought every major AC game on the day of release. I can't say that for anything else!

AC, ACB, ACR, and ACIII, showed relationships with the creed much more. Altair & Ezio lived by the creed. Connor was drawn to it, but during his time the Creed was severely weakened. In my view, living by the creed only brings sorrow, and that is clearly seen in the previous AC games. I was pretty glad that Edward isn't.

Ubisoft has yet to fail to impress, and although many people dislike ACR, it was second to ACII for me. I have yet to complete ACIV, but the story is already getting more interesting,

Gi1t
11-07-2013, 06:59 AM
I see how it is now. They will milk the series until it cannot be milked anymore and then throw it aside. Thats what they basically said in reddit. If thats how its gonna be then I am done with this series. I have been a huge fan since the first 2 games with the epic intros and endings and immersed myself in the conspiracy filled wonderful storyline of the modern day. templars and assassins Now the writer himself says they don't even care about that storyline anymore. I mean I kind of expected this but didn't think they would straight up say that they don't care about the fans, and they care about milking the franchise for money. Thankfully with the past few games being meh its not that hard to say my goodbyes. Ill cancel that preorder of ac4 on steam too.

I kind of felt that way since Brotherhood. XD

Now in theory, they should be able to do both by ending individual parts of the story and then moving on to other locations/characters, even different points in the modern day timeline. It's possible that they will, but for now it does seem like the goal is to drag things out, which I think is unnecessary. I don't think they have anything to fear from moving on to other parts of the AC world.

Many games and other series build a world, finish a plotline and then create spinoffs. The AC world has enough to do that but they are too lazy to do it.

Yes, exactly. :)

pirate1802
11-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Many people tell me that while the games mechanics are still from old ac games the story has severed most of its ties to the Creed.

Maybe because...shock and horror! The protagonist of this AC isn't a pure assassin? Scary thought I know..

inb4 oh noes AC game doznt have an assassin lead!!!

roostersrule2
11-07-2013, 08:17 AM
Maybe because...shock and horror! The protagonist of this AC isn't a pure assassin? Scary thought I know..

inb4 oh noes AC game doznt have an assassin lead!!!The story actually suffers from lack of Assassin presence.

dxsxhxcx
11-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Many games and other series build a world, finish a plotline and then create spinoffs. The AC world has enough to do that but they are too lazy to do it.

not lazy, greedy... ;)

the funny thing is that AC probably had the best excuse for this to happen without make it look like a cheap attempt to milk the franchise with Abstergo Entertainment (and even if they didn't have this excuse, this course of action is so obvious that is hard to believe no one at Ubisoft thought about it), they could've sticked with the original plan, give a conclusion to the main plot and keep releasing games to make the AC universe richer with games without direct ties with the main plot that would be over, I bet many people in history found some PoEs and didn't have a visit of TWCB so they wouldn't need to worry about creating ties between past and future because the main plot would be over...

BATISTABUS
11-07-2013, 08:45 AM
The story actually suffers from lack of Assassin presence.
Even though this game had an architecturally impressive Assassin stronghold (basically the Meso-American equivalent of Masyaf), a pre-colonial history, actual bureaus that you report to (something we haven't really seen since AC1), frequent interaction with an Assassin ally and a Mentor, your first mate leaves you for the Assassins, the first enemy you encounter is an Assassin whose robes you wear for the entire game, further interpretations/explanations of the Creed, the same reoccurring modern Assassins from the past 4 games, etc...

pirate1802
11-07-2013, 09:26 AM
^good job.... -________________________________________-

roostersrule2
11-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Even though this game had an architecturally impressive Assassin stronghold (basically the Meso-American equivalent of Masyaf), a pre-colonial history, actual bureaus that you report to (something we haven't really seen since AC1), frequent interaction with an Assassin ally and a Mentor, your first mate leaves you for the Assassins, the first enemy you encounter is an Assassin whose robes you wear for the entire game, further interpretations/explanations of the Creed, the same reoccurring modern Assassins from the past 4 games, etc...The stronghold is cool.

The bureaus are tables.

You see Ah Tabai what three, four times?

Yes he leaves you for them, so when he becomes one he goes away so you don't interact with him as an Assassin when he's also your first mate.

You kill an Assassin, you also kill whales and can make whale outfits, does that make you a whale too?

You see Shaun and Rebbeca for a combined 1 minute, well there's one minute of dialogue but you could spend years just staring at him in his little coffee stand.

silvermercy
11-07-2013, 11:44 AM

inb4 oh noes AC game doznt have an assassin lead!!!

IKR!? .. How can you keep the game fresh if you keep sticking to the same old assassin/templar formula?

As far as modern story goes now... sure, it's sad to see Desmond go, but honestly how can someone expect to keep it fresher and fresher every time by using the same modern protagonist in all games? Even Ezio stopped having games at number 3. lol

dxsxhxcx
11-07-2013, 12:07 PM
IKR!? .. How can you keep the game fresh if you keep sticking to the same old assassin/templar formula?

As far as modern story goes now... sure, it's sad to see Desmond go, but honestly how can someone expect to keep it fresher and fresher every time by using the same modern protagonist in all games? Even Ezio stopped having games at number 3. lol

who's asking for the same protagonist? I'm OK with Desmond's death (even thinking its presentation could've been a lot better) and I don't think anyone here is asking them to bring Desmond back...

EDIT:
...besides roostersrule2 :p

roostersrule2
11-07-2013, 12:10 PM
who's asking for the same protagonist? I'm OK with Desmond's death (even thinking its presentation could've been a lot better) and I don't think anyone here is asking for him to comeback...Bring back the D-Dawg!!!!

Genos99
11-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Ubsioft is milking - yes yes and a big yes (anyway they have their reasons cuz producing a title takes lot of time and money )

But why dont they conclude the story ..Also why they keep on extending the story like a rubber band.........with just fewfacts in each of the game (i mean when will i get to see the conclusion ...is there an end )
Is ubisoft just trying to figure out still ? ( mean while releasing sequels on purpose to make us feel connected)

My friends Uncle wanted to play ending part but he got too old now ....anyway he is still on board ....waiting for conclusion
LOL joke

pirate1802
11-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Well as far as traditional AC gameplay goes, yes.. AC has been straying from that more and more since AC1. But as far as AC-centric story goes, I can never take the conplaint seriously. You have 4 games seeped from head to toe with creedcreedcreed. One game game which was somewhat detached from the Creed, and one game where the character is (presumably) an outsider. And people are already complaining? You can't deal with 1.5 games out of a total 6 games where the protag isn't singing praises of the creed? If I was Darby I'd facepalm so hard my palm would go through my face and hit the other wall.

Legendz54
11-07-2013, 12:29 PM
The least they could do is bring in another modern day character that has rich ancestrial DNA and is walking along the street coming home from a tough low paying job then suddenly is kidnapped by william, shaun and rebecca and told about the order and is introduced into the series, it turns out he is the only one who can defeat Juno.. See i made a better opening than Ubisoft. Im positive they already have the next game planned out and they are working on it but i will be pissed if its in 1st person..

As for the historical part since they aren't doing Connor i would like to see something special for the next gen and get us excited like AC3 and actually deliver. They should go back to the Middle eastern, European, Mediterranean area.

Genos99
11-07-2013, 12:33 PM
AC never gets to present . Pop never gets it sequel ....MONEY MONEY MONEY ubisoft we pop fans are extremelyyyyyyyyyy angryyyyyyyy nowwwwwww

roostersrule2
11-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Well as far as traditional AC gameplay goes, yes.. AC has been straying from that more and more since AC1. But as far as AC-centric story goes, I can never take the conplaint seriously. You have 4 games seeped from head to toe with creedcreedcreed. One game game which was somewhat detached from the Creed, and one game where the character is (presumably) an outsider. And people are already complaining? You can't deal with 1.5 games out of a total 6 games where the protag isn't singing praises of the creed? If I was Darby I'd facepalm so hard my palm would go through my face and hit the other wall.Most people have wanted someone from outside the Assassin world to stumble across them like Edward did, but then eventually become an Assassin.The only problem is Edward never becomes one, well not in the game anyway. Sure the game doesn't have to be Creed-centric but it is an Assassins Creed game with no Assassin.

pirate1802
11-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Most people have wanted someone from outside the Assassin world to stumble across them like Edward did, but then eventually become an Assassin.The only problem is Edward never becomes one, well not in the game anyway. Sure the game doesn't have to be Creed-centric but it is an Assassins Creed game with no Assassin.

That happened with Connor? An outsider stumbling on the Assassins?

roostersrule2
11-07-2013, 01:27 PM
That happened with Connor? An outsider stumbling on the Assassins?Yea but he had heritage, he never really stumbled across them either, he searched for them.

pirate1802
11-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Right. I see. But still, I think as long as the Creed is featured prominently in the game, it still would be Assassins Creed, doesn't matter if the protag is actually an Assassin or not. Atleast that's how I see it.

roostersrule2
11-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Right. I see. But still, I think as long as the Creed is featured prominently in the game, it still would be Assassins Creed, doesn't matter if the protag is actually an Assassin or not. Atleast that's how I see it.Maybe, but it just doesn't feel right, maybe it's because the story was unfocused, I don't know, it's still fun.

pirate1802
11-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Maybe, but it just doesn't feel right, maybe it's because the story was unfocused, I don't know, it's still fun.

Oh dear, did it feel AC3 type unfocused? If yes then I'd start to prepare myself for disappointment..

roostersrule2
11-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Oh dear, did it feel AC3 type unfocused? If yes then I'd start to prepare myself for disappointment..Not really, it was more do I want to be this game? Or this game? Type unfocused, it gets it **** together at about halfway though. Like AC3 though I think my second playthrough will be better.

Landruner
11-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Tonton Yves Guillemot said that it will be an AC every year until fans get tired of it and won't any longer buy it!

That was already clear long time ago, in fact, Ubisoft will stop the franchise after the last game/episode of the Franchise fails .

In could be next year (2014) if the pre-order of AC5 fails, or later.... After the failure then, the next installments would be on other media, books, comics, or movies

roostersrule2
11-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Tonton Yves Guillemot said that it will be an AC every year until fans get tired of it and won't any longer buy it!

That was already clear long time ago, in fact, Ubisoft will stop the franchise after the last game/episode of the Franchise fails .

In could be next year (2014) if the pre-order of AC5 fails, or later.... After the failure then, the next installments would be on other media, books, comics, or moviesAC4 is a high point for the series though, so it will generate hype for AC5.

Landruner
11-07-2013, 02:27 PM
AC4 is a high point for the series though, so it will generate hype for AC5.

It did work because of the pirate theme, not really because of being an Assassin Creed Game - I am not saying that the game was not good, it just met a theme that a lot of video gamers wanted to explore. Now for a real assassin Creed game that is another story - In my opinion, for not failing they had to reboot the franchise.

FrankieSatt
11-07-2013, 02:37 PM
I knew this was going to happen after the ending of ACIII. The only reason the "Present Day" story line is still there is because there needs to be a reason to actually go into the past with the animus because UbiSoft painted themselves into that corner with the "Present Day" story line.

I always felt that this series should have ended with ACIII and if they wanted to make a Pirate game, which they have done, they could have done so with a new series instead of bastardizing the AC name just to sell copies.

Ritterkreuz1978
11-07-2013, 02:46 PM
As long as they keep putting out awesome games that let me explore times and places like the Italian Renaissance, and Golden Age of Piracy, then I have no problem with Ubisoft not giving me an ending.

FrankieSatt
11-07-2013, 02:49 PM
As long as they keep putting out awesome games that let me explore times and places like the Italian Renaissance, and Golden Age of Piracy, then I have no problem with Ubisoft not giving me an ending.

UbiSoft can do that with other games instead of bastardizing the AC name and series to do it. You don't need the series, the name nor anything in AC games to do what you want.

Ritterkreuz1978
11-07-2013, 02:55 PM
UbiSoft can do that with other games instead of bastardizing the AC name and series to do it. You don't need the series, the name nor anything in AC games to do what you want.

Just sharing my opinion, and I stand by my statement.

On a side note though, with what they've done with the Naval component in AC IV and the larger battles depicted in III, Ubisoft really should consider a line of games about the Napoleonic Wars, or other Colonial/Age of Sail games.

Landruner
11-07-2013, 02:56 PM
I knew this was going to happen after the ending of ACIII. The only reason the "Present Day" story line is still there is because there needs to be a reason to actually go into the past with the animus because UbiSoft painted themselves into that corner with the "Present Day" story line.

I always felt that this series should have ended with ACIII and if they wanted to make a Pirate game, which they have done, they could have done so with a new series instead of bastardizing the AC name just to sell copies.

Actually the AC's name for Flack Flag was the problem they met for the pre-orders of that game - They did not meet the expectation they envisaged for AC4 - Like I said above AC4 is a really good game and a very good pirate game, and they were not so many good pirate games around so far, so it worked, but now what about a new Assassin Creed game with a new installment without all the fun of the pirate theme, the naval battle and else? They can change the time period or whatsoever, it does not change the fact that unless they reboot the "assassin" mechanic presented since AC2, they go to a total tiresome from gamers.... I believe that also they should expand the Black Flag series as its own SPIN -OFF and dependent of the AC franchise.

FrankieSatt
11-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Just sharing my opinion, and I stand by my statement.

On a side note though, with what they've done with the Naval component in AC IV and the larger battles depicted in III, Ubisoft really should consider a line of games about the Napoleonic Wars, or other Colonial/Age of Sail games.

I'm not attacking you or anything, I'm just saying that UbiSoft should end the series and just create these stand alone games. A series like you suggested would be a great idea that could stand alone.

Landruner
11-07-2013, 03:08 PM

So, let's go hear dropping and get desynchronized , tail target and get desynchronized, more hear dropping, more tailing and some racing as well, without forgetting collecting some useless pieces of Animus, and collecting some treasures marked on the maps in 13th century Egypt. Amazing we have a lot of things to do as an Assassin:cool: in any Assassin Creed

Farlander1991
11-07-2013, 03:17 PM

AC is a series which by its concept allows to visit absolutely any historical era possible. You don't need to create new IPs for everything, you don't need to do any additional extra marketing to gain 'street cred' for the IP (since it's already got it, even though ACIII shaked it a bit, ACIV returned it), and the basics of the fictional story in the historical setting are pretty much already there from the get go thanks to the Assassin vs. Templar conflict (while you still have to do a lot of research, that helps immensely instead of creating a distinctive narrative for each historical title). I don't know if Ubisoft realized this when they were developing the original concept of AC from PoP spin-off into what its now, but they struck gold in the historical fiction gaming niche (and yeah, Assassin's Creed is an AAA mainstream title, but the genre/thematic itself is a niche, there aren't that many historical 3rd person games).

At the moment Ubisoft doesn't need any new IPs for its historical action/adventure games (so stuff like PoP or something based on mythology would still be good for a new IP), and, honestly, it would be stupid from their part to try and make some.

RatonhnhakeFan
11-07-2013, 03:31 PM
So basically they will milk the series and never give it a proper conclusion? Yes.

luckyto
11-07-2013, 04:25 PM

First, the writer NEVER said that they don't care about the storyline. They care. They just care about a different direction than what you want.

Second, this is ridiculous and over-dramatic. That story is still there. It was there in ACIV. Abstergo, Templars, Assassins, all there. The modern day was actually better than ACR's modern day, maybe even ACB's. Continuation of Desmond's legacy and key modern characters, all there. We just got the best AC game ever and you are leaving because you didn't get more modern day stuff --- -which is like less than 5% of the story from all the games combined --- really? So in past titles, you played 60 hours of game for the 15 minutes of modern day... is that what you are trying to sell? Cuz, I'm not buying it.

Third, do you quit comic books? Will you never ever watch another Batman movie? Or never ever watch another Iron Man movie? Guess what. Comic books have been doing this for years. Continuous never-ending story lines. Believe it or not, some of us don't want an end. I want a conclusion the story inside the Animus, but this Templar-Assassin conflict can go on forever - just tying off bits at a time. AC is not set up like a novel or a movie --- Assassin's Creed is an ideal franchise for the comic book model, and that's what they've introduced. Many heros, many villains, many settings, all within that universe.

The new set-up is perfect.

SenseHomunculus
11-07-2013, 04:34 PM
At the moment Ubisoft doesn't need any new IPs for its historical action/adventure games (so stuff like PoP or something based on mythology would still be good for a new IP), and, honestly, it would be stupid from their part to try and make some.

Absolutely correct. And this is that was negatively referred to as "milking" the concept. I mean, as long as they're selling 8-10 million copies, why not continue it? If you don't like the direction of the series, just stop playing it. There are plenty of other games you can play. I mean, yeah, we all have ideas about what WE think should be in a game, but don't begrudge a for-profit corporation from making a pretty sure buck if they don't follow what you think they should be doing with a tremendously valuable franchise. AC3 was a REAL disappointment to me but I was hoping then was they got back on track (to my way of thinking) with AC4.

I personally love the different historical and geographical settings in AC which you pretty much cannot get in any other character-based (as opposed to a Sid Meiers-type sim) game. Running in and around the 18th century jungle among the Mayan ruins is spectacular (as is getting the CRAP scared out of me when a freaking jaguar attacks me out of nowhere), especially having visited there and the rest of the Caribbean (my favorite place in the world, even without the jaguar attacks) many times.

luckyto
11-07-2013, 04:43 PM
"Milking" is what they do with the annual releases. Black Flag is the first annual release that has lived up to AC2 or AC1 and maintained production quality. Most of them have been subpar releasees - short on content, short on story, or full of technical issues and poor side content. Releasing a new title annually to make as much money as possible - THAT is "milking."

Having a continuous story line that spans indefinitely is not milking. Comic books have been doing it forever. If they would go to one every two years, they could continue this franchise for fifty years under the model they've chosen. They will, however, probably burn it out. I really don't disagree that they are milking it, but it has nothing to do with the modern day storyline and set-up.

rupok2
11-07-2013, 05:00 PM
First, the writer NEVER said that they don't care about the storyline. They care. They just care about a different direction than what you want.

Second, this is ridiculous and over-dramatic. That story is still there. It was there in ACIV. Abstergo, Templars, Assassins, all there. The modern day was actually better than ACR's modern day, maybe even ACB's. Continuation of Desmond's legacy and key modern characters, all there. We just got the best AC game ever and you are leaving because you didn't get more modern day stuff --- -which is like less than 5% of the story from all the games combined --- really? So in past titles, you played 60 hours of game for the 15 minutes of modern day... is that what you are trying to sell? Cuz, I'm not buying it.

Third, do you quit comic books? Will you never ever watch another Batman movie? Or never ever watch another Iron Man movie? Guess what. Comic books have been doing this for years. Continuous never-ending story lines. Believe it or not, some of us don't want an end. I want a conclusion the story inside the Animus, but this Templar-Assassin conflict can go on forever - just tying off bits at a time. AC is not set up like a novel or a movie --- Assassin's Creed is an ideal franchise for the comic book model, and that's what they've introduced. Many heros, many villains, many settings, all within that universe.

Did you read what I said? I am in full support of the templar and assassin storyline continuing forever because its a never ending struggle. What I have a problem with is that they will scrap any plotlines in the modern day and instead will not conclude any sub plot they started. Meaning we still never get another main character in modern day and an actual story that concludes. They will maybe finish the juno stuff but after that all you will get to do is read some mysterious emails.

Also making a story that you leave with bs cliffhangers always turn out bad. I like when stories are done with a conclusion in mind and then expanded upon with spinoffs. Ubisoft wont do that, the will intentionally leave cliffhangers with no conclusion in mind for the express purpose of milking the series.

Why do you think ac3 modern day stuff was so bad? Initially they were gonna conclude the plot with desmond but changed it so they could lazily extend and milk the series.

Landruner
11-07-2013, 05:04 PM

I am sorry but your are wrong, I am in the Comic books industry, notably France....and usually when you start a new series, the publishers ask you to come with a trilogy arc with a conclusion to that arc, you can expend the series to another arc trilogy then and so on, but you better know in advance how your story is going to end because no one wants to publish your work. That is the classical way to get your work published in the comic book industry. For the AC comic books that is another story, since they are exploited for the entries that the developers do not want to turn into games so far. Even the comics books series are not even cannon to the franchise. The AC franchise went in any direction possible (Games, book, comics, and handle games etcetera) by a lot of different authors without even making sure it would be a continuity to the all lineage of Desmond miles. You can argue that but yes they are already holes or discontinuity in the universe, and after a while nothing is going to make sense. Ubisoft milked that Franchise the more they could we anything they could come with and now they are trapped in the logical of their story.

rupok2
11-07-2013, 05:08 PM
I am sorry but your are wrong, I am in the Comic books industry, notably France....and usually when you start a new series, the publishers ask you to come with a trilogy arc with a conclusion to that arc, you can expend the series to another arc trilogy then and so on, but you better know in advance how your story is going to end because no one wants to publish your work. That is the classical way to get your work published in the comic book industry. For the AC comic books that is another story, since they are exploited for the entries that the developers do not want to turn into games so far. Even the comics books series are not even cannon to the franchise. The AC franchise went in any direction possible (Games, book, comics, and handle games etcetera) by a lot of different authors without even making sure it would be a continuity to the all lineage of Desmond miles. You can argue that but yes they are already holes or discontinuity in the universe, and after a while nothing is going to make sense. Ubisoft milked that Franchise the more they could we anything they could come with and now they are trapped in the logical of their story.

Thank you! This is exactly what I am trying to say.

Sushiglutton
11-07-2013, 05:23 PM
To me "milked" means that you keep releasing new entries in a popular franchise that are uninspired and derivative. For example the later Saw movies. First one was fine, then they just kept making fairly lazy and uninspired sequels just to cash in on the brand.

This is NOT the case for AC. I have been really critical about AC3, but I don't see it as an example of milking at all. On the contrary it was one of the most innovative AAA-games released last year, with bold new features like naval combat and climbable forest. It was a very ambitious game that imo had some severe flaws. It was not an example of milking though. I have not played AC4, but from what I have read it seems like again a very ambitious game with its own identity.

Will AC get milked in the future? I don't know. That it's a yearly franchise doesn't automatically mean it will. As long as the devs keep innovating and pouring a lot of passion into the projects it won't be.

luckyto
11-07-2013, 05:36 PM
But Ubisoft is concluding those subplots. They concluded Desmond's subplot and even tied it off. Then they brought back characters and continuity for that world, and sent it another direction. They will continue to conclude subplots, and then introduce new ones. And yes, while modern comic books (since the 90s) have been more likely to have full arcs ... a trend which began with The Dark Knight graphic novel. Comic books, historically speaking, over their almost hundred year history, have just continued along one after the other --- tying off one plot and introducing another in the next series. If you look at Spiderman's long history, he has had a number of reboots, and a number of compact stories (arcs), but for the most part, it's just one big continuous mythology which has piled on top of itself. TV series do it as well. They will milk one subplot for three seasons, before concluding it, and then launching another subplot. This is how serialization works.

Bastiaen
11-07-2013, 06:26 PM
What doesn't get milked these days? TV series drag on until no one can stand them anymore. Whenever books are made into movies, they get split into two or even 3 parts, profiting equally from each. A franchise will always get used until it's no longer profitable. Do you have any example of a franchise not doing so? The sad thing is that this will probably ruin the quality of the games. This is the result of Art becoming a profitable merchandise. It started out art for art's sake, but devolved into a cash cow.

x Kolyana x
11-07-2013, 06:53 PM
I don't see it as milking. They have a winning formula for a game and I am enjoying each and every title for what it is. I say "bring it on," I can't wait to see what they come up with next.

BATISTABUS
11-07-2013, 07:41 PM
The stronghold is cool.

The bureaus are tables.

You see Ah Tabai what three, four times?

Yes he leaves you for them, so when he becomes one he goes away so you don't interact with him as an Assassin when he's also your first mate.

You kill an Assassin, you also kill whales and can make whale outfits, does that make you a whale too?

You see Shaun and Rebbeca for a combined 1 minute, well there's one minute of dialogue but you could spend years just staring at him in his little coffee stand.
Yep.

So? The bureaucracy is still there in a way you can interact with and report to.

Considering Edward is not technically an Assassin, it seemed frequent to me. Also, Kidd.

It's an important decision that further points out to Edward that he's on the wrong path.

Yes.

They're present in 4 out of 5 of the Modern Day missions.

silvermercy
11-07-2013, 08:31 PM
It did work because of the pirate theme, not really because of being an Assassin Creed Game - I am not saying that the game was not good, it just met a theme that a lot of video gamers wanted to explore. Now for a real assassin Creed game that is another story - In my opinion, for not failing they had to reboot the franchise.
Hmm... I think it is a combination of the two... I think that, IF they can, they will try to combine AC with popular elements. For example, let's say a future AC takes place in ancient Greece. They may add a Spartan assassin because such an element has been proven to be popular (see: "300 film).

xx-pyro
11-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Hmm... I think it is a combination of the two... I think that, IF they can, they will try to combine AC with popular elements. For example, let's say a future AC takes place in ancient Greece. They may add a Spartan assassin because such an element has been proven to be popular (see: "300 film).

I highly doubt that, that would be akin to saying Black Flag would have tons of Pirates of the Caribbean elements or references in it, which it didn't. I think they'd be more likely to go the reverse route in fact and have an Athenian Assassin trying to pull apart the militaristic society the Spartans had built.

It could go either way though, that's just the angle I see it from, Ubi doesn't usually cater specifically towards popularity (ok, AC3 being an equal divide between blue and red was a bunch of crap, but that's the only time I've personally seen them cater to a group of people).

silvermercy
11-07-2013, 08:38 PM
I highly doubt that, that would be akin to saying Black Flag would have tons of Pirates of the Caribbean elements or references in it, which it didn't. I think they'd be more likely to go the reverse route in fact and have an Athenian Assassin trying to pull apart the militaristic society the Spartans had built.

It could go either way though, that's just the angle I see it from, Ubi doesn't usually cater specifically towards popularity (ok, AC3 being an equal divide between blue and red was a bunch of crap, but that's the only time I've personally seen them cater to a group of people).

Oh yes, I was, too, thinking the reverse route would make more sense indeed, but I was also thinking in terms of marketing.
AC3 catered to the American audience a lot, yes.

xx-pyro
11-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Speaking of Greece really makes me sad, would love an AC game in any time period in Greece :(

silvermercy
11-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Speaking of Greece really makes me sad, would love an AC game in any time period in Greece :(
Me, too!!

pirate1802
11-07-2013, 08:43 PM
me three!

luckyto
11-07-2013, 08:47 PM
I've been asking for Ancient Greece for three years. :) Make me happy.

Though I was thinking about the Ancient Egypt teaser. And the sailing. You think they might try something bold like the Ancient Mediterranean with a few cities that you could travel to.... like Athens, Cairo, Cyprus, etc. The Aegen Sea is loaded with little islands. Each city would have a unique flavor and the sailing mechanic could return (though I'm not sure how combat would work.)

xx-pyro
11-07-2013, 08:52 PM

Though I was thinking about the Ancient Egypt teaser. And the sailing. You think they might try something bold like the Ancient Mediterranean with a few cities that you could travel to.... like Athens, Cairo, Cyprus, etc. The Aegen Sea is loaded with little islands. Each city would have a unique flavor and the sailing mechanic could return (though I'm not sure how combat would work.)

I was thinking they might even go the Norse/Viking route in Scandanavia, but I hope that the majority of the naval theme stays within Black Flag, would be disappointed if they try to incorporate it everywhere.

x Kolyana x
11-07-2013, 10:25 PM

The Med could be very interesting.

SixKeys
11-07-2013, 10:54 PM
So basically they will milk the series and never give it a proper conclusion?

http://arnoldzwicky.s3.amazonaws.com/CaptainObvious.jpg

monsterroc
11-07-2013, 11:28 PM
There's nothing left to do in black flag, when the story ends the age of piracy is over and most of the characters are SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now dead and you can read forsaken to finish Edwards story if you want to (although there are some small gaps left unfilled)

Landruner
11-08-2013, 12:11 AM
There's nothing left to do in black flag, when the story ends the age of piracy is over and most of the characters are SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now dead and you can read forsaken to finish Edwards story if you want to (although there are some small gaps left unfilled)

For me the AC series is becoming comparable to some recent & disappointing TV show series - AC is turning into the LOST of the video game industry.:confused:

Too confusing to follow or even trying to make a sense to the experience. I mean to the point that in a few year from now most of us are going to say, oh one more, so where are going to jump around this time, Oh btw, will we be collecting feathers or some pieces of Animus this time? lol!

That is the main problem of that Franchise and it starts getting on the nerves of some of us (Especially to the ones that try to make a sense in the middle of all that confusion) - They are too many story and plots revealed in the other media than the game themselves. If you want the all story in order to understand an AC game plot (Past & Modern day), well you have to buy the books, the Handled game, the comics books and some other that I forgot such as PSP/PSVita or HD version.
You want the end of Edward? Well buy the book AC Forsaken
You want the what next after AC1, well buy PSP bloodline, and ACR because you have his ending there.
You want the end of Ezio? Well buy ACR...Wait no... the end of Ezio is not there and his story is not finished there? Well, buy AC Embers. Oh by the way buy the book AC Revelation too because you have the end of Leonardo there, (just in case you want to know because Ezio and him were good pale after all).
You want some Desmond ? Well buy the French comics books (Even if it is not Cannon with the games, who give a D...as long as you buy and pay for it)
You want the end of Connor, Well...hum...??? oh wait...wait... Darby said if you want the rest of the story of Connor, well just go the fan sites that make short story expansions of Connor - (It is not too far that the fan & author of the expansions of their favorite character will have to pay some royalties to Ubisoft or being sued for exploiting copy righted material, I won't be surprised by Ubisoft doing that neither)

rupok2
11-08-2013, 12:25 AM
well just got my $79.99 back from steam lol.

SixKeys
11-08-2013, 01:16 AM
You want the end of Connor, Well...hum...??? oh wait...wait... Darby said if you want the rest of the story of Connor, well just go the fan sites that make short story expansions of Connor - (It is not too far that the fan & author of the expansions of their favorite character will have to pay some royalties to Ubisoft or being sued for exploiting copy righted material, I won't be surprised by Ubisoft doing that neither)

For Pete's sake, AC3 came out less than a year ago. Just because Connor (probably) won't be appearing in another game doesn't mean they can't continue his story in another book or comic or Initiates or whatever. It's ridiculous how melodramatic people are being over a video game character. "Oh no, they haven't announced a sequel after one year of AC3's release! That means we will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever see Connor again in any form whatsoever!"

pirate1802
11-08-2013, 03:42 AM
Learn how to use spoiler tags for god's sake.

xx-pyro
11-08-2013, 03:51 AM
Considering AC4 has the most content out of any AC game I don't know how people can say annualisation has been hurting the series. When Revelations came out sure, it was really weak and I felt disappointed, it seems lately that they've gotten their **** together however and AC4 turned out spectacularly.

Landruner
11-08-2013, 04:05 AM
For Pete's sake, AC3 came out less than a year ago. Just because Connor (probably) won't be appearing in another game doesn't mean they can't continue his story in another book or comic or Initiates or whatever. It's ridiculous how melodramatic people are being over a video game character. "Oh no, they haven't announced a sequel after one year of AC3's release! That means we will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever see Connor again in any form whatsoever!"

Dumb, Dumb, Dumb, For Pete's Sake What is wrong with you Pale (?) did you eat your soup by your eyes or what?... Either you don't even understand what I wrote above or you just take a piece of my post in order to make your ridicule point. In short; you do proceed like some cheap journalist that campaigns against a politician for the 2cents tabloids for supermarket... Dude, I don't even care about AC3 or even Connor! - Read if you can or go back to bed, I just mentioned AC3 and Connor, because I critic UBISOFT for milking the all franchise all over other media. Got my point now?

AdamPearce
11-08-2013, 04:13 AM
The Present day plot has not been abandonned yet, in game maybe, but not in reality. It stills continue...on a private platform that only a few people can access named Assassin's Creed Initiates.

It is sad because they is SO MUCH STUFF, Initiates became needed to understand the serie, it shows everything that happened between the game so you don't lose it. The only problem, is that they don't show it the game, like in one big intro so we can understand. The beggining of the game is too rough, no intro, no context, no explanation at all. just PAF, go & play.

But seriously, if they want to save the Present Day plot, they must do something with Eve. I was thinking about Subject 1 grand daughter or something.

Landruner
11-08-2013, 04:54 AM
The Present day plot has not been abandonned yet, in game maybe, but not in reality. It stills continue...on a private platform that only a few people can access named Assassin's Creed Initiates.

It is sad because they is SO MUCH STUFF, Initiates became needed to understand the serie, it shows everything that happened between the game so you don't lose it. The only problem, is that they don't show it the game, like in one big intro so we can understand. The beggining of the game is too rough, no intro, no context, no explanation at all. just PAF, go & play.

But seriously, if they want to save the Present Day plot, they must do something with Eve. I was thinking about Subject 1 grand daughter or something.

Eve Mr.Adam Pearce?:cool: ++++

(BTW, AC Initiates does not really work very well so far...so? - I did not have any problem so far, but my kids and some other users did...)

From an artistic point of view...I believe that they work by some mysterious ways right now - The feedback are too divided for them to really move forward a decision regarding the present day or not. UBI gave up on the modern days thinking that no one cared, and obviously a lot of fans did care...

Like I said earlier I am not even trying to any longer understand the stories (present day or else) I just play the game(s) until I will get tired of them.

I just know for a lot of points they missed some great opportunities and they blew it for a lot of us.

In my opinion, from AC1 they should either just used the 12th century or using the Science fiction matrix with the animus but set in the future instead of the present day (Why because it would have been more interesting for a lot of people to see a futuristic world instead) -

Or what I would have personally done would have been totally different, but I will have set the matrix animus system as an experimentation during a steam punk Gothic WW2 (Nazi or US experimentation), The story would have different as well, and I think it would have been more interesting to have this strange world for the player to explore and experiment the 2 fascinating worlds at the same time. I will have come with a beginning but a end for making a perfect trilogy with a climatic ending (good/bad or ugly?), and I will start another story arc then.

I will have focused of the games only and will expand it perhaps onto comic books, but still sticking to the constituency of the story.

monsterroc
11-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Yeah it is incredibly annoying that you have to buy all this other stuff just to learn so much more about this universe, I'm not made of money lol, if they don't release the next ac game on current gen then ac4 will be my last purchase for some time. In the end if I don't buy the other games then I don't have to find out how they killed the franchise through milking it. Ignorance is bliss

pacmanate
11-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Yeah it is incredibly annoying that you have to buy all this other stuff just to learn so much more about this universe, I'm not made of money lol, if they don't release the next ac game on current gen then ac4 will be my last purchase for some time. In the end if I don't buy the other games then I don't have to find out how they killed the franchise through milking it. Ignorance is bliss

I think Sony said they will support PS3 for 2 more years. So by 2016 no more PS3.

SixKeys
11-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Dumb, Dumb, Dumb, For Pete's Sake What is wrong with you Pale (?) did you eat your soup by your eyes or what?... Either you don't even understand what I wrote above or you just take a piece of my post in order to make your ridicule point. In short; you do proceed like some cheap journalist that campaigns against a politician for the 2cents tabloids for supermarket... Dude, I don't even care about AC3 or even Connor! - Read if you can or go back to bed, I just mentioned AC3 and Connor, because I critic UBISOFT for milking the all franchise all over other media. Got my point now?

Pale? What? :confused:

The rest of your post was talking about how every other assassin got some sort of closure in one form of media or another. The last point about Connor came off as whining. "If you're an Ezio fan, you got three games, but if you want closure for Connor, you gotta buy all this other crap! Connor is being treated so unfairly, boohoo!" We've had fans here before claim exactly that (in this and other threads), so if that's not how you intended it to come off, I don't think you can blame me for thinking that's what you were saying.

Plain_1nsane
11-08-2013, 12:34 PM
The problem with this thread is that only 2 intelligent people are talking and they're trying to convince mindless sheep. The series isn't going a way we didn't want it to, the series was attractive because it was unpredictable and surprising, now its not. Now we know what's gonna happen every year, and we don't closure on the original story we invested our time and energy in.

I am so utterly tired of reading people say they're happy with whatever Ubi do because I'm not. I'm still a critically thinking human being who wants to get his moneys worth from a video game, and to not have characters I'm attached to screwed over by writers who don't care.

pirate1802
11-08-2013, 01:43 PM
You are tired of people because they have different preferences than you? Man, you would make a very good tyrant

SenseHomunculus
11-08-2013, 03:36 PM
The problem with this thread is that only 2 intelligent people are talking and they're trying to convince mindless sheep. The series isn't going a way we didn't want it to, the series was attractive because it was unpredictable and surprising, now its not. Now we know what's gonna happen every year, and we don't closure on the original story we invested our time and energy in.

I am so utterly tired of reading people say they're happy with whatever Ubi do because I'm not. I'm still a critically thinking human being who wants to get his moneys worth from a video game, and to not have characters I'm attached to screwed over by writers who don't care.

Wow, seriously, you want to rephrase that? I hope you didn't want to come off as obnoxiously as that reads. To say someone's not a critical thinker simply because they have a different opinion to yours is dismissive and ridiculous. If Ubi's actions with the series upsets you so much, simply don't play the games anymore.

And I don't think anyone in this thread has said they were happy with "whatever Ubi do" in the series.

D.I.D.
11-08-2013, 04:02 PM
I think it would benefit by occasionally closing a subplot and sometimes opening a new one. Right now they're keeping every subplot the series had since ACII, and seem to be intent to roll them all forwards until the final cancellation, but I think it needs a "Levitz Paradigm" approach to provide a conclusion to some of the loops from time to time - otherwise there's never any satisfaction from following it.

xx-pyro
11-08-2013, 04:27 PM

I'm not happy with whatever Ubi do, I'd be seriously displeased if they take it back to third person like Desmond was. :o And if you got attached to Desmond I'm going to guess that you tend to have relationships which fall through because you get overly clingy far too quickly.

BATISTABUS
11-08-2013, 04:27 PM

I don't think this post reflects reality. Instead of "mindless sheep" that accept everything, these forums and beyond are full of people who just complain about everything and will NEVER be satisfied with anything that comes out of Ubisoft unless it's a repackaged AC2 bundle. Instead of "critically thinking", things are instantly dismissed without any actual evaluation if they are any bit different from previous games. This blind nostalgia is completely unjustified, and that's what I'm "utterly tired" of.

luckyto
11-08-2013, 04:30 PM
well just got my $79.99 back from steam lol.

Your loss. Best game in the franchise and probably the best game out this year.

luckyto
11-08-2013, 04:37 PM
I think it would benefit by occasionally closing a subplot and sometimes opening a new one. Right now they're keeping every subplot the series had since ACII, and seem to be intent to roll them all forwards until the final cancellation, but I think it needs a "Levitz Paradigm" approach to provide a conclusion to some of the loops from time to time - otherwise there's never any satisfaction from following it.

They have closed off subplots. Lots of them. *spoiler* Desmond is dead. Yes. Dead. That's pretty much closing off one subplot. The end of the world was prevented. Pretty much closes off that subplot. Minerva, gone. End of that subplot. Subplots have been dying left and right. They just start new ones.

roostersrule2
11-08-2013, 04:44 PM
They have closed off subplots. Lots of them. *spoiler* Desmond is dead. Yes. Dead. That's pretty much closing off one subplot. The end of the world was prevented. Pretty much closes off that subplot. Minerva, gone. End of that subplot. Subplots have been dying left and right. They just start new ones.Pfff, the sub-plots got to much for Ubi and they abandoned them. S16 was written off as a crazy dude and after that everything that happened before hand just kinda sucked.

adventurewomen
11-08-2013, 04:48 PM
We only have to look how they left Connor no conclusion just so many questions about his fate. :'(

roostersrule2
11-08-2013, 04:51 PM
We only have to look how they left Connor no conclusion just so many questions about his fate. :'(Like does he get more boring?

Or does he find another helpless, disabled old man to take his anger out on?

Landruner
11-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Pale? What? :confused:

The rest of your post was talking about how every other assassin got some sort of closure in one form of media or another. The last point about Connor came off as whining. "If you're an Ezio fan, you got three games, but if you want closure for Connor, you gotta buy all this other crap! Connor is being treated so unfairly, boohoo!" We've had fans here before claim exactly that (in this and other threads), so if that's not how you intended it to come off, I don't think you can blame me for thinking that's what you were saying.

No read again, I was referring that for most of the AC characters if you want to know the total story of those characters you have to buy the rest of the other media - books, comics, and else. Besides that post that you pointed was the continuity to other posts I posted earlier on that thread - I came to Connor and AC3 because Darby wrote on Reedit or twitter (don't remember where?) said that he was glad that some Fans make "Web episodes" or write "mini stories" of their favorite Characters, and I just exaggerated that UBI could ask royalties or sue them for money, because I am sorry but UBI appears very "Assassin Greed" to me. I am not a fan of Ezio, Altair, Edward, or Connor, I just happen to be a fan of this series (Notably the games) and I don't like the way UBI turns the all think around.

ArabianFrost
11-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Like does he get more boring?

Hahahahahahahahahha

Landruner
11-08-2013, 05:16 PM

Look, Since UBI is milking that Franchise by the ears of the cows now, could you imagine the slap in the face - If UBI release an Just Dance Assassin Creed for Kinect and we get the conclusion of Connor on the dance Floor...;) Oh damy! I don't know if we will have to cry or laugh....

ArabianFrost
11-08-2013, 05:16 PM
My advice, stop caring until the series is rebooted and Ubisoft knows once again what the hell they want with one of the biggest multi-million selling AAA series, from the bloody start for once.

Just stop.

Ubisoft is already too deep into the mess to go back and consider paying proper tribute to what came before ACB. Just care about what's to come, but even then I wouldn't have high hopes. With an annual release, they just can't afford to sit there and think how to have a modern day plot when they barely have enough time to make a game that actually significantly innovates ever since that one last truly innovative game they made in 2009. 7 titles and only two feel different from the other in terms of core mechanics ( combat is still meh). 4 years have passed since AC2 and the game is still using the same mission structure, social stealth and somewhat combat. I don't know what's wrong, but until the devs get to have a bit of control over what damn happens, then I wouldn't have hopes.

Landruner
11-08-2013, 05:21 PM
My advice, stop caring until the series is rebooted and Ubisoft knows once again what the hell they want with one of the biggest multi-million selling AAA series, from the bloody start for once.

Just stop.

Ubisoft is already too deep into the mess to go back and consider paying proper tribute to what came before ACB. Just care about what's to come, but even then I wouldn't have high hopes. With an annual release, they just can't afford to sit there and think how to have a modern day plot when they barely have enough time to make a game that actually significantly innovates ever since that one last truly innovative game they made in 2009. 7 titles and only two feel different from the other in terms of core mechanics ( combat is still meh). 4 years have passed since AC2 and the game is still using the same mission structure, social stealth and somewhat combat. I don't know what's wrong, but until the devs get to have a bit of control over what damn happens, then I wouldn't have hopes.

I agree with you for anything you wrote above, I believe a REBOOT of the series is necessary.

SneakierNote
11-08-2013, 05:30 PM

Just stop.

%100 right IMO. ^

Assassin_M
11-08-2013, 05:30 PM
am I the only one who was complaining about modern day, but feel like AC IV is the start of something awesome for modern day?? am I the only one who liked AC IV's modern day?? am I weird?

SenseHomunculus
11-08-2013, 05:31 PM

Nice one. I literally LOL'ed

Assassin_M
11-08-2013, 05:37 PM
I don't think this post reflects reality. Instead of "mindless sheep" that accept everything, these forums and beyond are full of people who just complain about everything and will NEVER be satisfied with anything that comes out of Ubisoft unless it's a repackaged AC2 bundle. Instead of "critically thinking", things are instantly dismissed without any actual evaluation if they are any bit different from previous games. This blind nostalgia is completely unjustified, and that's what I'm "utterly tired" of.

I think this..

ArabianFrost
11-08-2013, 05:40 PM
am I the only one who was complaining about modern day, but feel like AC IV is the start of something awesome for modern day?? am I the only one who liked AC IV's modern day?? am I weird?

It felt very passive. It was cool for once, but we can't play faceless animus guy for very long and I'm sure it'll feel very constricting later on when we have to read about how the assassins beat Juno...from your pager device thing.

MIA SILENT
11-08-2013, 05:42 PM

No man. I found the stuff about the sages really interesting, and how they brought back Aita. The tapes about the Surrogate Initiative were also good. I hope in the next game we meet some Abstergo Templars.

Assassin_M
11-08-2013, 05:47 PM
It felt very passive. It was cool for once, but we can't play faceless animus guy for very long and I'm sure it'll feel very constricting later on when we have to read about how the assassins beat Juno...from your pager device thing.
I felt like I was very involved in the plot even without having a face, so yeah....if anything will happen...we'll be pretty involved...not like there wasn't any eventful things in AC IV's modern day...heck, a lot more happened to the faceless employee than anything ever happened to Desmond in AC I and II

No man. I found the stuff about the sages really interesting, and how they brought back Aita. The tapes about the Surrogate Initiative were also good. I hope in the next game we meet some Abstergo Templars.
I think they have something cool with this and the ball is in their field again...lets hope they can score better than last time..also...spoilers.

adventurewomen
11-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Hahahahahahahahahha
When did you become so cold blooded Frosty? See what I did there. ;)

pacmanate
11-08-2013, 05:58 PM

It was good, hacking was great, problem is it had no closure.

roostersrule2
11-08-2013, 05:59 PM
It was good, hacking was great, problem is it had no closure.Read your files, there's a bit of closure there.

Assassin_M
11-08-2013, 05:59 PM
It was good, hacking was great, problem is it had no closure.

It's not supposed to have any...it's the start of something new...just the start...you expected them to start and end the whole Juno plot in one game?

pacmanate
11-08-2013, 06:01 PM
It's not supposed to have any...it's the start of something new...just the start...you expected them to start and end the whole Juno plot in one game?

Did I say that?

ArabianFrost
11-08-2013, 06:05 PM
I felt like I was very involved in the plot even without having a face, so yeah....if anything will happen...we'll be pretty involved...not like there wasn't any eventful things in AC IV's modern day...heck, a lot more happened to the faceless employee than anything ever happened to Desmond in AC I and II

I think they have something cool with this and the ball is in their field again...lets hope they can score better than last time..also...spoilers.

Apart from the very very very very brief encounters with our assassin friends, you didn't really directly affect the modern plot the way Desmond did, you just viewed Edward's memories and stuff CAME to you, you didn't actually seek any of this. As Darby said, it has become context rather than a life of its own.

Regardless, I thinkg faceless employee number# is a horrible excuse for actually having a modern character. They didn't actually remove a desmond-like character. They just made him faceless. I mean seriously, how different would the plot have been if faceless employee #x actually had a face? The plot would still flow the same way, Ubisoft was just too scared to put a face to the guy so people don't expect Ubisoft to make a modern "thing" with personality. A thousand employees at Ubisoft and you and everyone else playing AC4 are SUPPOSED to be different individuals researching Edward, but only one of the researchers get chosen by John, which evidently is "you". Only one individual at Abstergo goes through all these events. Stop convincing us that this faceless character us supposed to represent "us", it's just very misleading. There's a historical character and there's a modern character that's supposed to take us into the animus and go through Juno. It really is that simple. "You" cannot be "you" in a virtual game, unless Aita visits the millions of players playing AC4. Stop this risk-free nonsense and give us a character. Aita and Juno visit and change the life of one character. He probably should have a name at least.

I I don't mind being an employee at Abstergo and I don't mind how the modern plot is going, which is starting to build-up nicely I hope. I just don't want this faceless nonsense.

ArabianFrost
11-08-2013, 06:08 PM
When did you become so cold blooded Frosty? See what I did there. ;)

I'm angry. Ubisoft did this to me. They took everything I had. I'll go on a murderous vengeance spree.

adventurewomen
11-08-2013, 06:27 PM
I'm angry. Ubisoft did this to me. They took everything I had. I'll go on a murderous vengeance spree.
Sorry to hear, I'm also annoyed because they decided to drop Connor. I'm annoyed as ****!! >_<

I'll give you a Snow Cone maybe you'll cool down a bit.

roostersrule2
11-08-2013, 06:29 PM
Sorry to hear, I'm also annoyed because they decided to drop Connor. I'm annoyed as ****!! >_<

I'll give you a Snow Cone maybe you'll cool down a bit.I don't think I can ever take you seriously again, actually I think I stopped ages go.

adventurewomen
11-08-2013, 06:34 PM
I don't think I can ever take you seriously again, actually I think I stopped ages go.
I never taken you seriously.. like ever.

roostersrule2
11-08-2013, 06:36 PM
I never taken you seriously.. like ever.I wouldn't ever want you to take me, serious or not, that's illegal.

FrankieSatt
11-08-2013, 06:52 PM

Thank you for summing up in 2 questions the whole reason why Connor is the worst Ancestor of this series, with Edward so far coming in as a close 2nd.

adventurewomen
11-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Thank you for summing up in 2 questions the whole reason why Connor is the worst Ancestor of this series, with Edward so far coming in as a close 2nd.
That is your opinion, not fact.

roostersrule2
11-08-2013, 06:59 PM
That is your opinion, not fact.Why do you take every criticism of Connor to heart?

x Kolyana x
11-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Connor was hooorrriiibbbllleeee, lol. Yeah it's my opinion and I appreciate that some liked the fellow, but it doesn't stop me scratching my head wondering what they saw in him. Heck, dress up a wooden board in an assassins outfit and throw it off a roof and you have the spitting image of Connor.

roostersrule2
11-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Connor was hooorrriiibbbllleeee, lol. Yeah it's my opinion and I appreciate that some liked the fellow, but it doesn't stop me scratching my head wondering what they saw in him. Heck, dress up a wooden board in an assassins outfit and throw it off a roof and you have the spitting image of Connor.lolololol

x Kolyana x
11-08-2013, 07:19 PM

Adventure, I think I read elsewhere that you are a Mohawk, yes? In which case my hat off to you sir, for your people and roots are wonderful to the extreme and I wish there was a greater understanding and appreciation for your history.

I was skeptical when playing AC III. I didn't think I'd like the title or the setting, but I was very much wrong and the entire introduction of Ratonhnhaké:ton was OUTSTANDING> I loved the early childhood stuff, I love the village and the immersion that it created. I loved the wilderness aspect, the runnig through the trees, how they managed to convey the spiritual aspect of the setting. Sublime stuff, it really was.

Then Ratonhnhaké:ton grew up and the actor that they used was the worst I have ever seen/heard. I'm going to guess that they (Ubi) had limited availability, because they needed someone who could speak both languages *and* be an actor. Unfortunately whoever they ended up with was - imho - the worst actor ever and most scenes he was in were destroyed by how wooden he was.

Plus the game struggled by being poorly put together. This is no reflection on your people or roots, but the game itself was poor: the fact that once you did the ship missions you couldn't use the ship again, or how the homesteaders became inaccessible if you did the memory sequences too soon, or how your mentor would actually feature in cut scenes AFTER he dies in the game o.O

The ending was horribly put together and featured too many cutscenes. It failed to have the emotional flair of ACII.

Heck, even the DLCs were awwwwwwwwful (the story writing and design were atrocious). I remember starting the DLC, liking that they introduced 3 new Native American characters ... and then they freaking killed them all off. I was just beginning to like them!

From this point of view ACIII had less charisma than previous titles. I can understand how you would personally be very proud of the game, or certainly want to see that time period and setting expanded upon, but they would have to recast Ratonhnhaké:ton and do better on the writing front.

BATISTABUS
11-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Then Ratonhnhaké:ton grew up and the actor that they used was the worst I have ever seen/heard. I'm going to guess that they (Ubi) had limited availability, because they needed someone who could speak both languages *and* be an actor. Unfortunately whoever they ended up with was - imho - the worst actor ever and most scenes he was in were destroyed by how wooden he was.

Noah Watts is a fantastic actor, and part of why I fell in love with the character as much as I did. His physical performance is the best we've seen in Assassin's Creed at all (facial expressions, body movement), and his more angry moments were delivered extremely authentically and explosively. Any "wooden" speech you heard was a result of a non-native-English-speaking character (which is intentional), or bad directing (which happened a lot, and is pretty common in every AC game).

If you cannot connect with the Native American stuff...what ever. If you're too bored by such a subtle character, that's on you. To say the acting was bad is just not true.

Assassin_M
11-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Noah Watts is a fantastic actor, and part of why I fell in love with the character as much as I did. His physical performance is the best we've seen in Assassin's Creed at all (facial expressions, body movement), and his more angry moments were delivered extremely authentically and explosively. Any "wooden" speech you heard was a result of a non-native-English-speaking character (which is intentional), or bad directing (which happened a lot, and is pretty common in every AC game).

If you cannot connect with the Native American stuff...what ever. If you're too bored by such a subtle character, that's on you. To say the acting was bad is just not true.
Noah Watts is horrible because he chose to portray Connor realistically. who wants a realistic character? that's trash..

btw, your avatar is amazing...

RzaRecta357
11-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Ahh god it's like these people have never been around native Americans. Here in Canada, they all sound like Conner. They have very monotone voices. It's just the way they sound... Nothing wrong with it and nothing against it.., but Even though I'm very meh on Connor his voice actor did a great job.

Its like people hear hear things and parrot them for fun.

x Kolyana x
11-08-2013, 07:41 PM

I agree, he played a bad actor magnificently.

x Kolyana x
11-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Ahh god it's like these people have never been around native Americans. Here in Canada, they all sound like Conner. They have very monotone voices. It's just the way they sound... Nothing wrong with it and nothing against it.., but Even though I'm very meh on Connor his voice actor did a great job.

Its like people hear hear things and parrot them for fun.

Right, except I am not.

I am however intelligent and mature enough to find the point about "this is the way that Native Americans talk" to be interesting and could very easily see how this could be a cultural thing: that I view his monotone performance as being "bad acting," while in reality this was acted perfectly and that Native Americans are just plain monotone.

Still, I did not get that monotone vibe from the other Native American characters, which then leads me to wonder if the monotone aspect was purely for the English speaking parts, but then he seemed monotone and wooden there as well.

I'm certainly not arguing anything here, but perhaps it is due to cultural differences why some people (myself included) felt that the character came across as somewhat emotionless and bland.

adventurewomen
11-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Adventure, I think I read elsewhere that you are a Mohawk, yes? In which case my hat off to you sir, for your people and roots are wonderful to the extreme and I wish there was a greater understanding and appreciation for your history.
Yes I am Mohawk & Thank you for your interest really appreciate it! :)

Also I'm a women not a sir by the way.

I was skeptical when playing AC III. I didn't think I'd like the title or the setting, but I was very much wrong and the entire introduction of Ratonhnhaké:ton was OUTSTANDING> I loved the early childhood stuff, I love the village and the immersion that it created. I loved the wilderness aspect, the runnig through the trees, how they managed to convey the spiritual aspect of the setting. Sublime stuff, it really was.
This I can agree with you on. :)

Ratonhnhaké:ton actor is Noah Watts (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1119997/), and honestly he was a great choice of a Native Actor for Ratonhnhaké:ton that is just imo. Noah carried the role as Ratonhnhaké:ton with honor and respect. I though he was great tbh.

but they would have to recast Ratonhnhaké:ton and do better on the writing front.
I respectfully disagree.

Plus the game struggled by being poorly put together. This is no reflection on your people or roots, but the game itself was poor: the fact that once you did the ship missions you couldn't use the ship again, or how the homesteaders became inaccessible if you did the memory sequences too soon, or how your mentor would actually feature in cut scenes AFTER he dies in the game o.O
I felt there was reflection in my people and our roots the burning of villages is still so fresh to us we still feel the pain. There was a whole entire cutscenes in our language, which is rare to see in films and games which is why I appreciated seeing in the game.

The homesteaders can still be talked through the interactive cutscenes that's if you didn't play through them and waited till the end of AC3 to watch these cutscenes.

The ending was horribly put together and featured too many cutscenes. It failed to have the emotional flair of ACIII
This I can agree with you, the ending sequence for Ratonhnhaké:ton seemed rushed it was like Ubisoft wanted just a quick end with no answers. As we now know why Ubisoft just want to move on. It's this that makes me upset, Ubisoft created Ratonhnhaké:ton to be a honorable hero and now they just leave him with a clif hanger. :'(

Heck, even the DLCs were awwwwwwwwful (the story writing and design were atrocious). I remember starting the DLC, liking that they introduced 3 new Native American characters ... and then they freaking killed them all off. I was just beginning to like them!
I enjoyed ToKW the story might have needed improving, however I really enjoyed the involemnt of our Native traditions in the DLC.

From this point of view ACIII had less charisma than previous titles. I can understand how you would personally be very proud of the game, or certainly want to see that time period and setting expanded upon.
Thanks for your support and understanding & I appreciate it! :)

Assassin_M
11-08-2013, 07:47 PM
came across as somewhat emotionless and bland.
I have NO idea how you can think he's emotionless...i'm being serious now...bland maybe, boring absolutely, uncharismatic sure...but Emotionless?? Jeez

Kagurra
11-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Well considering AC4 is very, very good and is the best AC since AC2, and I haven't even played it yet (waiting for next-gen), I'd say the series is still going strong.

SixKeys
11-08-2013, 08:39 PM
I'm just sitting here with my popcorn and laughing at how people are talking about a video game character like Ubi just killed off a real person or something. :D

Put on a Cat Stevens record and chill out, people. Just because you may like a character doesn't mean others can't have a different opinion of him/her. People on these forums love to hate on ACB, my favorite game, and I don't go around telling everyone "that's just an opinion, not FAAAACT".

BTW, if it's supposedly a fact that native Americans are "supposed" to sound monotone, how come Kane'ntó:kon's voice actor was ten times better and more expressive than Noah Watts? I wish he had been Connor's voice actor.

BATISTABUS
11-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Noah Watts is horrible because he chose to portray Connor realistically. who wants a realistic character? that's trash..

btw, your avatar is amazing...
I've missed you <3

xx-pyro
11-08-2013, 08:44 PM
I'm just sitting here with my popcorn and laughing at how people are talking about a video game character like Ubi just killed off a real person or something. :D

Put on a Cat Stevens record and chill out, people. Just because you may like a character doesn't mean others can't have a different opinion of him/her. People on these forums love to hate on ACB, my favorite game, and I don't go around telling everyone "that's just an opinion, not FAAAACT".

BTW, if it's supposedly a fact that native Americans are "supposed" to sound monotone, how come Kane'ntó:kon's voice actor was ten times better and more expressive than Noah Watts? I wish he had been Connor's voice actor.

ACB was probably my favourite game (simply due to replayability factor) until AC4 as well haha. But yeah generally agree with this statement. As for people complaining about Ubisoft using different mediums to tell their stories, sucks that you only play games and don't read or any of that jazz. I enjoy taking in stories from different mediums and couldn't be happier to have some come in video game form, book form, and anything else Ubi provides (besides graphic novels, not a fan of those but I don't bash people who are).

SixKeys
11-08-2013, 08:44 PM
I have NO idea how you can think he's emotionless...i'm being serious now...bland maybe, boring absolutely, uncharismatic sure...but Emotionless?? Jeez

0:13 is all the evidence you need. I've never been so embarrassed to hear a character trying to "emote" in a video game:

http://youtu.be/1oBFDkU4J0g?t=13s

pacmanate
11-08-2013, 08:52 PM
0:13 is all the evidence you need. I've never been so embarrassed to hear a character trying to "emote" in a video game:

All his emotional lines are bloody embarassing.

SixKeys
11-08-2013, 08:54 PM
I still don't get why some people claim Connor is so much better in the Homestead missions. This conversation right here is always the first thing that pops to my mind. Just....damn. :nonchalance:

ArabianFrost
11-08-2013, 08:56 PM
I never taken you seriously.. like ever.

......what the devil? What? What? What?

MIA SILENT
11-08-2013, 08:57 PM
And that Doctor doesn't help the situation. Laughing as if a child just said something funny without knowing it.

SixKeys
11-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Even the cows in the background burst into laughter right after Connor says his line. ;)

Farlander1991
11-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Well, the acting in Homestead is hit & miss, and not just for Connor, I think because for a lot of Homestead mission dialogue the direction might not always have been in proper context. The other characters are fairly horrible too in SixKey's example (also, it's worth noting that Connor's not ACTUALLY anxious during that scene, he was just remembering being anxious - that's... well, that's what that conversation is about, not an actual mission... though, yeah, the delivery is still not great).

When I think of Homestead missions, the very first scene that comes to my mind is the first cutscene from the Wedding mission. Even though Connor does not say a lot of lines there, you can hear how happy he is when he hears the news (and, well, see too)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5IdKDYg-co

EDIT: Btw, you can see how Connor's voice is vastly different in the cutscene and in the dialogue with the priest that's during gameplay, most likely those were different recording sessions hence the actor not keeping the same level of excitement.

EDIT2: By Odin's beard, are the in-game cutscenes that are not mo-capped lifeless and horrible... they're all just... standing there. It's really surprising how the Homestead AI dialogues that just happen in the world are of much better quality than that in terms of animation.

BATISTABUS
11-08-2013, 09:18 PM

That's a perfect example of **** directing. Whoever let that happen is 100% to blame for this. The actors are clearly separated; they say lines out loud, but aren't actually responding to each other. As opposed to the main story's cut-scenes that were all recorded in mocap suits, this was certainly recorded in a booth. In a situation such as this, it is up to the director to make sure things sound natural and the actors are given proper context and correction. That clearly did not happen in this situation. This was more of a problem in AC3 than any other game, but it happens quite a bit in Brotherhood, too.

I think he did a great job, but Akwiratékha Martin is not an actor. I don't think he would've been able to handle a leading role.

Landruner
11-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Well, the acting in Homestead is hit & miss, and not just for Connor, I think because for a lot of Homestead mission dialogue the direction might not always have been in proper context. The other characters are fairly horrible too in SixKey's example (also, it's worth noting that Connor's not ACTUALLY anxious during that scene, he was just remembering being anxious - that's... well, that's what that conversation is about, not an actual mission... though, yeah, the delivery is still not great).

When I think of Homestead missions, the very first scene that comes to my mind is the first cutscene from the Wedding mission. Even though Connor does not say a lot of lines there, you can hear how happy he is when he hears the news (and, well, see too)

I believe you are right, I saw all the video examples included in the previous posts above, and it appears to me as a poor direction in the cinematic that the actors performance or else. It Looks like and sounds like the direction and the acting from those television soap operas made in video for housewives LOL! - All the direction of those cut scenes seems unnatural comparing to even previous installment to the franchise. My point it is perhaps not the fault of the actor as well - They had mention captor during shooting the scene and voicing at the same time, it looks like the director of the cinematic "took a sit" while filming those cut scenes - Graphic apart, it looks like the cut scenes from some games released age ago.

adventurewomen
11-08-2013, 09:27 PM

EDIT: Btw, you can see how Connor's voice is vastly different in the cutscene and in the dialogue with the priest that's during gameplay, most likely those were different recording sessions hence the actor not keeping the same level of excitement.

EDIT2: By Odin's beard, are the in-game cutscenes that are not mo-capped lifeless and horrible... they're all just... standing there. It's really surprising how the Homestead AI dialogues that just happen in the world are of much better quality than that in terms of animation.
Agreed with everything!!

Akwiratékha Martin is not an actor. I don't think he would've been able to handle a leading role.
I agree.

Landruner
11-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Even the cows in the background burst into laughter right after Connor says his line. ;)

I believe that you have a serious case of "Connorophobia lol!:rolleyes:

SixKeys
11-08-2013, 09:41 PM
I think he did a great job, but Akwiratékha Martin is not an actor. I don't think he would've been able to handle a leading role.

Noah Watts is an actor and he wasn't able to handle a leading role either. :rolleyes:
In all seriousness, M once posted a clip from a CSI episode where Watts had a small side role and he was much better there. That just baffles me even more. Is it the voice-acting/mo-capping that makes it so awkward for him to emote as opposed to acting in front of a camera? Some people just can't do voice-acting while being good stage or film actors.

I recently replayed some AC3 missions and in every one of them Kanen'tó:kon's voice actor outshone Connor's. Even if he's not a professional actor, I still think he could have handled being the lead.

SixKeys
11-08-2013, 09:44 PM

Geez, I just watched this, and you are so right. In the cut scene where Connor hears the news, he actually sounds genuinely excited. Then skip to 0:46 and it's back to the most horrible, monotone acting ever. It's like night and day, especially jarring because it's in the same mission.

BATISTABUS
11-08-2013, 09:50 PM
hat just baffles me even more. Is it the voice-acting/mo-capping that makes it so awkward for him to emote as opposed to acting in front of a camera?

I recently replayed some AC3 missions and in every one of them Kanen'tó:kon's voice actor outshone Connor's. Even if he's not a professional actor, I still think he could have handled being the lead.
I don't think he ever sounded awkward when mo-capping was involved. Even if they weren't going to mocap those talking scenes in the homestead, they still should've had the actors act out physically. Watts definitely is much stronger as a physical actor (he said this himself in the Assassins' Den podcast), and directors need to know their actors. It's either totally the director's fault, or they were REALLY strapped for time/money.

I just don't agree. I think he did exactly what he needed to do to give a believable, authentic performance, but he definitely didn't outshine Watts.

luckyto
11-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Pfff, the sub-plots got to much for Ubi and they abandoned them. S16 was written off as a crazy dude and after that everything that happened before hand just kinda sucked.

Whoa. Well, he was a crazy dude. He was a crazy dude back in the memos from AC1. But the end of the world? That's not minor. I realize that many people didn't like the end, but they did tie it off. The only thing that they haven't tied off or explained well is the "Lucy is a Templar" nonsense. The rest of it was all flushed out over multiple episodes. I just don't see how people can say these subplots never end. I mean, they do.

We only have to look how they left Connor no conclusion just so many questions about his fate. :'(

Good lord. He built a new community, a New World at the Homestead. End. Happily ever after. Done. He grew old and spread the Order. The end. There's still tons of questions about Altair as well, but it is what it is.

Just stop.

I guess I'm missing where they've really dropped balls or messed up continuity. There's nothing in any of the earlier ones that conflict with the newer ones.

Also, AC3 really overhauled the combat. It's a completely different system than it was in AC2, ACB, AC1 or ACR. Two, with the exception of naval combat, most of the innovations have been disasters. They are better off refining what they have. ACIV's missions were very well-structured. I'd be perfectly happy if they keep it intact and focus on AC3's style of combat. The only mechanic which needs to be overhauled is the AI. And it's pretty much where it's at since AC1.

am I the only one who liked AC IV's modern day?? am I weird?
Nah, the modern day was perfect. Best since AC2. The first person stuff is better IMO, and it visually and subconsciously separates the modern day from the history inside the Animus. People forget that our first experience with Desmond was first-person, with Vidic and Lucy standing over us.

I don't really want a face or a character, I want it to be me inside the Animus. The new approach does that.

I agree, he played a bad actor magnificently.

lolololol

I liked the guy AFTER the Homestead missions. In the story alone, he was one-dimensional, angry and sullen. Just got boring. As one of my friends put it, "He's as interesting as a paper bag." But she never played the Homestead missions. From what I can tell, people who played those have a much more positive view of Connor. And everyone else things he's a horrible character.

I felt there was reflection in my people and our roots the burning of villages is still so fresh to us we still feel the pain. There was a whole entire cutscenes in our language, which is rare to see in films and games which is why I appreciated seeing in the game.

There was not enough of the Indian culture by a long shot. One of AC3's great failures. He basically abandoned his people completely, and only looked back briefly. Almost none of the side content focused on life for Native Americans, and only a few missions. Not even a single Native American came to be part of his Homestead - where he had free slaves, Irish, Catholics, and the whole lot.

Farlander1991
11-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Noah Watts is an actor and he wasn't able to handle a leading role either. http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/rolleyes.png
In all seriousness, M once posted a clip from a CSI episode where Watts had a small side role and he was much better there. That just baffles me even more. Is it the voice-acting/mo-capping that makes it so awkward for him to emote as opposed to acting in front of a camera? Some people just can't do voice-acting while being good stage or film actors.

Geez, I just watched this, and you are so right. In the cut scene where Connor hears the news, he actually sounds genuinely excited. Then skip to 0:46 and it's back to the most horrible, monotone acting ever. It's like night and day, especially jarring because it's in the same mission.

I genuinely think that Noah Watts plays awesomely in the mo-capped cutscenes.

That being said, voice acting and television/movie acting are really different. You can say that voice acting is closer to theatre, because you have to exaggerate your voice. Usually because the animation, be it in a 2D/3D animated movie, or a video game, is not as nuanced as the face and body acting of a person in a movie/tv show (or, in some cases, not existent at all). I think ACB is the most 'theatre-like' game, the voice acting is exaggerated (though that's not a bad thing, it's exaggerated in a way good voice acting should be, i.e. not 'hammy', though one might still argue about that given the prevalence of Italian accents :D ), as well as the mannerisms of the characters in the animations. Also, one of the reasons you have to exaggerate your voice is because you're usually just standing still in a booth, so you have to give yourself that additional emotion while reading.

Which brings me to the next point: movie/tv acting is reliant on body movement, facial emotions, and they're much more subtle than in theatre due to the way the camera is closer to what's happening. Which is why you also don't tent to exaggerate the voice. And I think that while mo-capping Noah Watts felt in his sphere, because it was essentially filming scenes for movies, and the awesome facial animation of AC3 really gave a lot of subtleties to Connor in those cutscenes and enhanced the acting.

While the stand-alone recorded in booth thing... yeah, that didn't work out so well. But, there's also the fact that non-existent animation will make EVERYTHING look worse than it actually is. In that example of yours, all characters are stiff and standing straight like wooden planks (it's not a low-res 2D pixel game, where that stuff works), and lips are just moving up and down. Even with some kind of action, like Connor ironically shaking his head and making a wave with his arm (or something, that just the first thought that came to my mind) would make all that look and sound a lot better. Plus, more direction from the part of the voice director.

EDIT: PS. Stage actors tend to be better at voice acting than movie actors are, because of those specifics. But it's not a general rule, it all depends on the training, and direction, plus there are quite a lot of actors who play awesomely EVERYWHERE (like, Ian McKellen, for example :D )

SixKeys
11-08-2013, 10:12 PM
I guess I'm missing where they've really dropped balls or messed up continuity. There's nothing in any of the earlier ones that conflict with the newer ones.

Lucy being a Templar was only briefly mentioned in AC3. Anyone who didn't play The Lost Archive would be deeply confused regarding some of the AC3 dialogues.

We never got an explanation for Subject 16's "the Sun, your son". The devs just handwaved it away off-screen with "16 said a lot of crazy stuff". That's not a proper explanation, that's just cheap.

Then there's probably the most glaring plothole of all: the e-mails we found in AC1 that claimed 90% of African's population had died out, that the last film studio closed its doors in 2012 and that thousands of North Americans were flocking over to Mexico. These were handwaved away either on Initiates or AC4 with some BS about how Erudito had fabricated these claims, but it makes no sense from a narrative perspective. It's obvious they simply abandoned this plotline. Just because you can make up a (bad) explanation for anything doesn't equal good and proper closure. They messed up continuity, plain and simple, and the excuses they came up with were poorly written.

I liked the guy AFTER the Homestead missions. In the story alone, he was one-dimensional, angry and sullen. Just got boring. As one of my friends put it, "He's as interesting as a paper bag." But she never played the Homestead missions. From what I can tell, people who played those have a much more positive view of Connor. And everyone else things he's a horrible character.

The Homestead missions lessened my opinion of him. See the videos posted on the previous pages. The acting in the Homestead missions is simply atrocious and I really don't see how the missions themselves make him a more interesting character. What, he picks some flowers or tools for some guy and suddenly that makes him interesting?

thekyle0
11-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Personally, I'm still reeling from the recent realization that Ubisoft shortchanges the PC community. Now you drop this bad news on me!? Unbelievable....

SixKeys
11-08-2013, 10:22 PM
I
That being said, voice acting and television/movie acting are really different. You can say that voice acting is closer to theatre, because you have to exaggerate your voice. Usually because the animation, be it in a 2D/3D animated movie, or a video game, is not as nuanced as the face and body acting of a person in a movie/tv show (or, in some cases, not existent at all). I think ACB is the most 'theatre-like' game, the voice acting is exaggerated (though that's not a bad thing, it's exaggerated in a way good voice acting should be, i.e. not 'hammy', though one might still argue about that given the prevalence of Italian accents :D ), as well as the mannerisms of the characters in the animations. Also, one of the reasons you have to exaggerate your voice is because you're usually just standing still in a booth, so you have to give yourself that additional emotion while reading.

Which brings me to the next point: movie/tv acting is reliant on body movement, facial emotions, and they're much more subtle than in theatre due to the way the camera is closer to what's happening. Which is why you also don't tent to exaggerate the voice. And I think that while mo-capping Noah Watts felt in his sphere, because it was essentially filming scenes for movies, and the awesome facial animation of AC3 really gave a lot of subtleties to Connor in those cutscenes and enhanced the acting.

I totally agree with you about voice-acting vs. stage/film acting. I'm not saying Noah Watts is a bad actor because I've seen him perform well on film. I do think he's not so good as a voice actor, though.

While AC3 definitely had the best mo-cap in the series compared to the prior games, I still don't think it's quite at the point where I can forget I'm watching CGI characters. Especially compared to TLoU where the character animation was absolutely superb during the emotional moments and the strong voice-acting enhanced the experience. AC3 (and probably AC4) are on the right track, but they're not quite there yet in terms of capturing the subtleties of every emotion perfectly. That's why voice-acting in Ubisoft games still needs to be at least somewhat exaggerated, to enhance what cannot yet be expressed through mo-cap. Haytham was slightly more exaggerated compared to Connor, hence why he worked so well. Noah Watts' performance may have been somewhat limited by the mo-cap. He already had to play a very subtle character and chose to do so without much inflection in his voice. On stage this might have worked to the character's advantage because you have a much better sense of the actor's physicality, but in a video game the technology can't quite convey all the nuances.

TL;DR I think Noah Watts is not an inherently bad actor, I just think voice-acting is not his forte and his performance may have been restricted by the technology.

luckyto
11-08-2013, 10:22 PM
For all the bad examples, there's also the only examples of him being anything but angry and sullen. And as posted above, some of them are actually good.

The only major subplot that has been brushed off was Lucy. But yeah, I'll grant you that some of the less significant items found as trivial knowledge have been ignored.

FrankieSatt
11-08-2013, 10:29 PM

You are right, it is my opinion and I stand by that opinion.

The good news for you is that the more I play ACIV the more I dislike Edward Kenway so by the time I get done with ACIV Kenway might pass Connor as the worst Ancestor in the series.

Farlander1991
11-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Especially compared to TLoU where the character animation was absolutely superb during the emotional moments and the strong voice-acting enhanced the experience. AC3 (and probably AC4) are on the right track, but they're not quite there yet in terms of capturing the subtleties of every emotion perfectly.

I find Ubisofts technology to be somewhat more impressive to be honest, because Naughty Dog, both in the Uncharted series and TLoU, use hd pre-rendered cutscenes for their, well, cutscenes. Which means that they can do more than they can in-engine. While AC3 manages to show tons of subtleties, and all that's rendered in real time. (That being said, the in-game character animations are still very awesome in Naughty Dog's games, and their games are just beautiful from visual perspective all around)

Of course, from an emotional experience that might not matter, but I'm sure if Ubisoft used pre-rendered, it could've made it on ND level.

xx-pyro
11-08-2013, 10:34 PM
How was Lucy brushed off? More like people thought she HAD to be good because she was good looking, but there wasn't much room for doubt since Brotherhood's ending considering what Juno said, people were just wishfully thinking and hoping that she was either alive or not actually a Templar. TLA (which I never bought or played, but did end up watching online) solidified this, but even before watching or playing it it was pretty obvious that she was a Templar. To be fair, I suppose hindsight is 20/20, I won't pretend I was hoping she actually was an Assassin, but I don't know how people can say that plotline remains unresolved. I agree with the S16 sun/your son thing, and so far we don't know much about the Eve plotline but it was mentioned in Liberations which leads me to believe it hasn't been dropped.

luckyto
11-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Because the only explanation was "She's a Templar." That's it. Nothing else. And Desmond just goes, "Ok" and doesn't even inquire. That's a brush-off.

Farlander1991
11-08-2013, 11:09 PM
I don't mind some of the brush-offs.

Like, the 90% of Africa dead and whatnot - that all made sense when AC was just a trilogy, with a self-contained somewhat alternative future (slightly becoming present as time went on) world, but at around AC2/ACB it became apparent that it would be more than just that, regardless of how the trilogy plot goes, and keeping this fantasy of a parallel alternative world I think provides a lot less interesting possibilities. Yeah, Erudito thing is like a lame excuse, but there's really a non-lame excuse for stuff like this. Whatever. Better for the lore in the long run.

Then there are stuff like some of 16's ramblings, which had an inherent problem of getting put in without actually thinking how it would pay off (I remember this was admitted by Ubi in one of the interviews). So, I'm not THAT disappointed that kinda nothing became with them, but at the same time... there is still some disappointment. Though, I guess serves a lesson - don't put stuff in just for the sake of it. Basically, expected more, somewhat disappointed, but I can live with that.

But then there are just poorly handled plots, like the Lucy storyline, which could've been handled A LOT better, now that kind of stuff I'm really disappointed with, and, it's, just... ugh. So much wasted potential.

ArabianFrost
11-08-2013, 11:19 PM
I like how we endlessly complain but Ubisoft pretty much is giving us the cold damn shoulder. Nothing is really improving and they're not even trying to address the flaws of the past or correct them. That in addition to criticism being handled very poorly. Blame the annual release date all you want, but Ubisoft has one of the worst reaction to criticism ever.

What game out there has rewarding fandom? AC fandom consistently feels like talking to a wall that only wants to listen to praise.

luckyto
11-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Arabian, it's very difficult for me to embrace that attitude after Black Flag. Which, is pretty damn close to the perfect AC, in my mind. (excepting some issues with combat and perhaps 15% of the story missions.) But it was like going from mediocre three titles in a row to damn near perfect. ACIV is filled with things that are the result of listening to fans.

now Multiplayer, that's a different story.

xx-pyro
11-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Arabian, it's very difficult for me to embrace that attitude after Black Flag. Which, is pretty damn close to the perfect AC, in my mind. (excepting some issues with combat and perhaps 15% of the story missions.) But it was like going from mediocre three titles in a row to damn near perfect. ACIV is filled with things that are the result of listening to fans.

now Multiplayer, that's a different story.

This, except for the multiplayer tidbit at the end. I don't personally play it but I believe it has its own strong core of people who really enjoy it, and what people don't realize is that in development if you have a multiplayer mode in your game it's on a separate budget- meaning it doesn't affect single player. Considering Ubisoft has its own studio do the multiplayer as far as I remember, this means that even manpower is not split from people doing the core game. If multiplayer were not included, those resources would likely NOT be allocated to single player, because single player wouldn't need more people working on it nor would it need a larger budget, it would simply be cut from the game.

Most studios I'm aware of do things in that fashion, and considering Ubisoft is probably the largest one I follow and with AC being such a large franchise I can't see why they wouldn't work in the same fashion. A Bioware dev had a blog once that explained all this much more thoroughly than I am.

Gi1t
11-09-2013, 12:39 AM
I like how we endlessly complain but Ubisoft pretty much is giving us the cold damn shoulder. Nothing is really improving and they're not even trying to address the flaws of the past or correct them. That in addition to criticism being handled very poorly. Blame the annual release date all you want, but Ubisoft has one of the worst reaction to criticism ever.

What game out there has rewarding fandom? AC fandom consistently feels like talking to a wall that only wants to listen to praise.

Yeah, Black Flag is the first game in a long time that seems to have genuine responses to criticisms (although some things, like the enemies' designs and the limited combat still sound like they've yet to be addressed.) And really, it seems like in addition to it taking a long time for improvements to make their way into the games, comments from some Ubisoft staff have been pretty dismissive of complaints. It's obvious, I think, that there are a lot of people there trying to make AC into a great series with every fiber of their being, but a lot of the negative behavior comes from people calling the shots, so it puts AC in kind of a weird place in terms of doing good and being milked to death because it's kind of doing both at once. A good example would be the famous statement of a developer that the series "needs a rest" and the immediate contradiction from their CEO. So Ubisoft's devs generate a lot of praise while their company generates a lot of negativity.

SixKeys
11-09-2013, 12:53 AM
This, except for the multiplayer tidbit at the end. I don't personally play it but I believe it has its own strong core of people who really enjoy it, and what people don't realize is that in development if you have a multiplayer mode in your game it's on a separate budget- meaning it doesn't affect single player. Considering Ubisoft has its own studio do the multiplayer as far as I remember, this means that even manpower is not split from people doing the core game. If multiplayer were not included, those resources would likely NOT be allocated to single player, because single player wouldn't need more people working on it nor would it need a larger budget, it would simply be cut from the game.

I believe Luckyto is quite active in the multiplayer, so he/she isn't talking about multiplayer being bad in and of itself, just that it wasn't handled as well as the singleplayer in AC4.

xx-pyro
11-09-2013, 02:41 AM
^Ah OK thanks for clarifying, my mistake for misunderstanding :p

pirate1802
11-09-2013, 05:42 AM
Connor was hooorrriiibbbllleeee, lol. Yeah it's my opinion and I appreciate that some liked the fellow, but it doesn't stop me scratching my head wondering what they saw in him. Heck, dress up a wooden board in an assassins outfit and throw it off a roof and you have the spitting image of Connor.

I'm rolling

Assassin_M
11-09-2013, 05:44 AM
I'm rolling
in the deep?

Hans684
11-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Yeah, Black Flag is the first game in a long time that seems to have genuine responses to criticisms (although some things, like the enemies' designs and the limited combat still sound like they've yet to be addressed.) And really, it seems like in addition to it taking a long time for improvements to make their way into the games, comments from some Ubisoft staff have been pretty dismissive of complaints. It's obvious, I think, that there are a lot of people there trying to make AC into a great series with every fiber of their being, but a lot of the negative behavior comes from people calling the shots, so it puts AC in kind of a weird place in terms of doing good and being milked to death because it's kind of doing both at once. A good example would be the famous statement of a developer that the series "needs a rest" and the immediate contradiction from their CEO. So Ubisoft's devs generate a lot of praise while their company generates a lot of negativity.

Consider how Ubisoft works it will take time act to criticsm becouse they work on more than one AC main game and not within a single year. While we are talking Jade's studio is most likely working on AC5/V(unless we gett more Kenway, not likely) and another studio is most likely half way trough ACVI/6 and another studio is most likely just started on ACVII/7 while another is most likely discussing the time period and place for AC8. That's how they work, not a single years copy payst work and with that kind of way of doing the latest game so far(Black Flag) gott plenty of time to act to the critic ACB,ACR and followed the gutt before AC3 was out but AC5/V is not gonna be able to act to the critic about Black Flag becouse that game is out next year if they do it might end like AC3 a game full of buggs and glitches.

LinkAndLoad
11-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Well for me the desmond story ended after 3.
These are just bonuses for me, and will keep buying new AC's as long as they seem fun to play.
As far as BF goes, you still can find additional info on the previous installments and storyline. And I think they now have all the freedom to make interesting side story's with new installments.

NxtDoc1851
08-15-2014, 06:23 PM
I love Assassin's Creed, but it truly needs to give us a break. 13 AC games in 7 years? If you just count console games then it is about to be 9 games in 7 years. 2 AC games in one month? Really? I own the collector's edition of every game, the collector's edition strategy guides as well as the Encyclopedia's. And I am here to say, please just slow it down. It seems like Ubisoft is milking this franchise.

You had a chance with AC4: Black Flag, to make a new IP Pirate game. You could have given it a really cool RPG aspect, kind of like Mass Effect/Dragon Age style recruiting for your crew, customize our ships, hijack other ships and make it our own. And I could keep going, but instead Ubisoft made it an AC game as what I feel is a cash grab on the franchise.

I love Assassin's Creed, but 2 in one month 13 in 7 years, is beating a franchise to death. Assassin's Creed is not Call of Duty where it needs to keep people fresh and into the franchise with little tweaks yearly.

Assassin_M
08-15-2014, 06:29 PM
I love Assassin's Creed, but it truly needs to give us a break. 13 AC games in 7 years? If you just count console games then it is about to be 9 games in 7 years. 2 AC games in one month? Really? I own the collector's edition of every game, the collector's edition strategy guides as well as the Encyclopedia's. And I am here to say, please just slow it down. It seems like Ubisoft is milking this franchise.

You had a chance with AC4: Black Flag, to make a new IP Pirate game. You could have given it a really cool RPG aspect, kind of like Mass Effect/Dragon Age style recruiting for your crew, customize our ships, hijack other ships and make it our own. And I could keep going, but instead Ubisoft made it an AC game as what I feel is a cash grab on the franchise.

I love Assassin's Creed, but 2 in one month 13 in 7 years, is beating a franchise to death. Assassin's Creed is not Call of Duty where it needs to keep people fresh and into the franchise with little tweaks yearly.
Here's a better option...stop buying the games? AC IV is a good point of conclusion...imagine it ended there and just stop buying. I never understood the calls for ending the series.

Jexx21
08-15-2014, 06:33 PM
13 in 7 years?

AC1
AC2
ACB
ACR
AC3
ACL
AC4
ACU
ACRO

That's only 9.

AherasSTRG
08-15-2014, 06:39 PM
He is also counting the lame-*** PSP and DS titles...

But Assassin_M is right. If you do not feel that the direction of the franchise suits you, then drop off. It's the best time to do it after AC4. I did the same with Naruto. I dropped off at volume 50 and pretend it ended there. No harm done.

And how the hell did you find this one year old thread in the first place? Did you actually google "Assassin's Creed milking franchise" or something?

Jexx21
08-15-2014, 06:42 PM
Well, even if you count the PSP and DS titles, it's still short of 13... at 12.

And tbh, I'm still not sure that Altair's Chronicles is actually canon.

JustPlainQuirky
08-15-2014, 06:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/wS3EiHQ.png

Namikaze_17
08-15-2014, 07:23 PM
Anyone actually have ALL the games? I'm Curious.

But yeah, if anyone doesn't like the Course or direction, then quit.....it's that simple. :) ;)

Jexx21
08-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Oh, I guess if you count freedom cry as a seperate game it does reach 13.

My mistake, sorry.

At least you aren't counting the iOS card games or the Monoply game or the AC board game :P

Namikaze_17
08-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Oh, I guess if you count freedom cry as a seperate game it does reach 13.

My mistake, sorry.

At least you aren't counting the iOS card games or the Monoply game or the AC board game :P

There's a board game?

SlyTrooper
08-15-2014, 07:40 PM
Anyone actually have ALL the games? I'm Curious.

But yeah, if anyone doesn't like the Course or direction, then quit.....it's that simple. :) ;)

I used to. I sold the DS games when my brother got rid of his DS. I had no way of playing them anymore & I wasn't officially collecting by then.

JustPlainQuirky
08-15-2014, 07:45 PM
I have all the main games.

None of the iOS, PSP or DS ones though.

Namikaze_17
08-15-2014, 07:54 PM
@Mayrice.

Why is Shay and Haytham in your Sig?

They're not Assassins...

Hans684
08-15-2014, 07:56 PM
He is also counting the lame-*** PSP and DS titles...

But Assassin_M is right. If you do not feel that the direction of the franchise suits you, then drop off. It's the best time to do it after AC4. I did the same with Naruto. I dropped off at volume 50 and pretend it ended there. No harm done.

And how the hell did you find this one year old thread in the first place? Did you actually google "Assassin's Creed milking franchise" or something?

https://www.google.no/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Assassin's+Creed+milking+franncise

Thank me latter.

Jexx21
08-15-2014, 07:58 PM
@Mayrice.

Why is Shay and Haytham in your Sig?

They're not Assassins...
they're all playable protagonists

CSKarasu
08-15-2014, 08:04 PM
I imagine the series will reach a point where it's not possible to move forward without a rethink. Eventually the story will become so big, so convoluted that it will collapse under it's own weight, essentially creating its own end. At that point maybe the series will be rebooted.

Jexx21
08-15-2014, 08:05 PM
that already happened with Unity

Sesheenku
08-15-2014, 09:43 PM
The story was never that great. You're not going to entice people like me with it. I don't care too much about stories, what's important to me is whether or not the game is fun. If it's fun the story is of little consequence.

I also play a few games that have dull game play but have excellent style and story but that means they're oozing unique style and exceptional story, AC certainly oozes style.

ajl992008
08-15-2014, 09:46 PM
I'm ok with there not being a huge meta story as long as they resolve the current one with juno, I will be annoyed if they don't tie loose ends, then they can go onto just the animus interface no problem ( though I would prefer modern day, I won't be sad if it goes). main thing is for them to close the doors that THEY have already opened.

Locopells
08-16-2014, 12:58 AM
I have all the main games.

None of the iOS, PSP or DS ones though.

Me too.

frodrigues55
08-16-2014, 01:03 AM
Only portable I own is Pirates, but that's only because it was the Free App of the week on iTunes a few weeks ago :p Didn't play it yet though, I am saving for a long flight or something lol.

Zrvan
08-16-2014, 01:08 AM
Are you milking your job when you show up to it every day and expect remuneration? Why should Ubisoft be any different?

You are not owed an ending. Video games are art. Don't like the art? Stop experiencing it. Nothing gets a business' attention faster than when you stop paying them.

DumbGamerTag94
08-16-2014, 03:43 AM
Really? People are just realizing this now? Yes of course that's how it will go. It's like the Simpsons or Gilligans Island. One just dried out and nobody cares anymore and seems to be silently slipping away into non existence yet releases new episodes still for die hard fans and a bit of money.

The other had a notorious overarching plot(trying to get off the island). That was never resolved until the very end of the series.... Why? Because without it there is no series. So if you only were worried about the island issue you only need to see the first and last episodes. But people didn't watch it for that they wanted to see the funny self contained stories that each episode brought. It's similar with ACs Modern Day story. There will never be any major plot development or a solution until they end the series so it's bout to stagnate or drag out/be stupid until the last game or two. It's actually relatively pointless(like getting off Gilligans island). As the hole reason it exists is just to allow for the smaller episodes/games to continue. It will inevitably have some rushed and anticlimactic ending because nobody really cares.

Just as most people tuned in to Gilligans island to watch a funny episode or two and not to learn how they get off. So too do people buy AC games for their individual historical episodes. They want to see the Reniassance or the crusades or French Revolution. Most buyers could give a **** less about Juno and Desmond and Lucy and this sage crap. Because it doesn't matter. It's a plot that is only kept alive for the purpose of allowing for more episodes. If people haven't realized that then I feel sorry for you being that gullible.

Did it ever really matter if Gilligan and company got off the island? No. Will it ever matter what happens with Juno or Abstergo? No. As long as the opening remains to have reasons to go into the animus there will always be AC games. No matter the outcome. It doesn't matter. It's completely irrelevant! The series could just abruptly end with no answer to the Juno question and we would be left no different than before. There'd still be a boatload of independent historical narratives so as long as each of those had an ending nobody would care.

This is why I can't stand the modern day and wish it would just go away or be so reduced that it's irrelevance is actually acknowledged. If you seriously follow AC only for the overarching narrative and expect to see an end to Juno or something you're incredibly foolish and may as well ignore the series until the end. And I suspect even then you'll be disappointed because for some strange reason you expect great things out of a B plot that never really held up and constantly shifts in relevance. Nothing spectacular will come of it. Just get over that now.

Getting worked up over modern day is a foolish as getting pissed every time they don't get off the island on an episode of Gilligans island. I mean really? What do you expect. There's like 100 more episodes. Or in ACs case there's like at least 4 games in development as you speak so do you really think anything will be resolved in MD. Seriously? Get over it it's dumb. If it's all you care about then you will hate this series best you leave now.

Mini spoilers:
One of two things will happen:
Either Juno wins or loses
And Abstergo either collapses or joins the assassins to end Juno and they all live happily ever after.

So there we go mystery solved! You can all leave now. And you know the best part. Literally either one of these paths can be correct and it doesn't effect the story worth a damn! Because each individual game has self contained stories in a different time period so their outcomes will never be effected! Problem solved. Series is officially spoiled now. So we can just remove MD now and just focus on the historical episodic installments. You're welcome!

rprkjj
08-16-2014, 04:57 AM
Really? People are just realizing this now? Yes of course that's how it will go. It's like the Simpsons or Gilligans Island. One just dried out and nobody cares anymore and seems to be silently slipping away into non existence yet releases new episodes still for die hard fans and a bit of money.

The other had a notorious overarching plot(trying to get off the island). That was never resolved until the very end of the series.... Why? Because without it there is no series. So if you only were worried about the island issue you only need to see the first and last episodes. But people didn't watch it for that they wanted to see the funny self contained stories that each episode brought. It's similar with ACs Modern Day story. There will never be any major plot development or a solution until they end the series so it's bout to stagnate or drag out/be stupid until the last game or two. It's actually relatively pointless(like getting off Gilligans island). As the hole reason it exists is just to allow for the smaller episodes/games to continue. It will inevitably have some rushed and anticlimactic ending because nobody really cares.

Just as most people tuned in to Gilligans island to watch a funny episode or two and not to learn how they get off. So too do people buy AC games for their individual historical episodes. They want to see the Reniassance or the crusades or French Revolution. Most buyers could give a **** less about Juno and Desmond and Lucy and this sage crap. Because it doesn't matter. It's a plot that is only kept alive for the purpose of allowing for more episodes. If people haven't realized that then I feel sorry for you being that gullible.

Did it ever really matter if Gilligan and company got off the island? No. Will it ever matter what happens with Juno or Abstergo? No. As long as the opening remains to have reasons to go into the animus there will always be AC games. No matter the outcome. It doesn't matter. It's completely irrelevant! The series could just abruptly end with no answer to the Juno question and we would be left no different than before. There'd still be a boatload of independent historical narratives so as long as each of those had an ending nobody would care.

This is why I can't stand the modern day and wish it would just go away or be so reduced that it's irrelevance is actually acknowledged. If you seriously follow AC only for the overarching narrative and expect to see an end to Juno or something you're incredibly foolish and may as well ignore the series until the end. And I suspect even then you'll be disappointed because for some strange reason you expect great things out of a B plot that never really held up and constantly shifts in relevance. Nothing spectacular will come of it. Just get over that now.

Getting worked up over modern day is a foolish as getting pissed every time they don't get off the island on an episode of Gilligans island. I mean really? What do you expect. There's like 100 more episodes. Or in ACs case there's like at least 4 games in development as you speak so do you really think anything will be resolved in MD. Seriously? Get over it it's dumb. If it's all you care about then you will hate this series best you leave now.

Mini spoilers:
One of two things will happen:
Either Juno wins or loses
And Abstergo either collapses or joins the assassins to end Juno and they all live happily ever after.

So there we go mystery solved! You can all leave now. And you know the best part. Literally either one of these paths can be correct and it doesn't effect the story worth a damn! Because each individual game has self contained stories in a different time period so their outcomes will never be effected! Problem solved. Series is officially spoiled now. So we can just remove MD now and just focus on the historical episodic installments. You're welcome!

I like the M.D. for the conspiracy feeling, and it also makes AC unique. Plus it's not like your comparison to Gilligan's Island is 100% spot on, obviously there's differences between a show and a game.

Fatal-Feit
08-16-2014, 05:07 AM
Actually, for me, Modern day made AC feel less unique and connivance. I thought they were pretty bad, and lost the ominous facade after AC:1. Most of it was like a teen drama spoof, TBH. The conspiracies actually came from the subject 16 missions in the animus and the side conversations.

DumbGamerTag94
08-16-2014, 05:20 AM
I like the M.D. for the conspiracy feeling, and it also makes AC unique. Plus it's not like your comparison to Gilligan's Island is 100% spot on, obviously there's differences between a show and a game.

Well if it's not a 100% comparison it's at least a 90% comparable scenario.

A weekly TV program has to provide a new episode every week. And a yearly video game series has to provide a new game(sometimes 2) every year. It's guaranteed there will be more with either situation. And therefore they cannot end the overarching plot that allows for the smaller sub plots. Otherwise their series falls apart. IE if Juno or Abstergo is defeated then why would we still use the animus? No room for more games. Just as if Gilligan got of the island. You can't just have more episodes of antics on the island then if they are no longer there. You see?

So AC will only provide a conclusion to its MD when the series is over. Which means when it starts to stop selling and people stop caring. And they'll just rush and cram a bunch of stuff in to end the story and it will feel crappy(like the series finale of how I met your mother). Truth is the games will end when people stop caring just like tv series end when ratings drop. So when people no longer care you almost always end with a garbage ending for the overarching plot that most people never really cared about anyway. It's just obligatory. And usually fairly predictable anyway.