PDA

View Full Version : What Did You Think of the Story of ACIV?

Wolfmeister1010
11-07-2013, 03:45 AM
So all the reviews for AC4 have been amazing, with most saying that it rejuvenates the series back to its AC2 era magic. However, one common complaint from critics is about the story. What do you think of the story? Does it live up to your expectations?

I really really like the story, and I think Darby did an amazing job, especially when compared to the stories of 90% of other games, but I did have some problems.

For one, I feel like the story rushed a bit in the first few sequences, but it was a very good way to introduce the templar cast.

The main issue is the lack of assassins in the story. There are assassins in the first two sequences, and in sequence 4, but from that point to around mid sequence 10, there is little to no mention of the assassins. That entire chunk is comprised of entirely pirate story. At most, the only mention you get of assassins is from side remarks by Adewale, who I also believe did not get enough screen time in the MAIN game. I mean, Ah Tabai, the main assassin mentor, is only seen twice before the last few sequences. He should have been there more, to develop his character and conflict with Edward. But instead, Edward meets him once, gets in a fight with him, then sees him again years later, when he becomes an assassin. I know that the game IS very pirate themed, and when the assassins DO appear in the game, the creed takes a way bigger toll than in the last game, the entire middle of the story has nothing to do with them

. They story was supposed to be about Edward struggling with his pirate life and assassin duties, but instead the story crammed all of that in the last few sequences. They also crammed half the templars' assassinations into 2 sequences as well. They should have kept the assassins as part of the story for longer. He didnt necessarily have to JOIN them earlier, but the assassins should have at least had a single actual legitimate feature within the 6 sequence gap of absense. Due to this, The story really feels short to me. When I finished it, I loved it, but I never felt the same sense of accomplishment as I did with Connor or Ezio. Although edwards story lasted 7 years, it really felt like 2 at most. They should have spread out Edward's development over the course of the whole game, intertwining it with the pirate moments of his life, like assassinating ben, or blackbeard getting killed, instead of waiting until sequence 11 to cram the whole point of the story in.

Maybe over the course of his having to kill all his pirate friends, he would be talking and interacting with the assassins, who would slowly be showing him the true nature of his life, and slowly drawing him into the order. He should have slowly matured over the game, like Altair, but instead he remained the greed driven character until near the game's close. Even though Edward got 13 sequences and Connor only got 8, I feel like I got to know Connor WAY more than I ever did with Edward. I really like him, and it is not HIS fault. It is the game's fault. Darby made an amazing character, and made a great character. I hope he realizes that. But I can not help but feel like more could be done with it.

That being said, while sacrificing the quality of the story, it improved on nearly every single apspect of all past AC games IMO, so it still ends up being the best game in the series.

What do you guys think? I would really appreciate if you made detailed answers regarding your opinion.

SleezeRocker
11-07-2013, 03:56 AM
the story is pretty cool. Since I suppose it's an 'Abstergo' game, I guess they are trying to show us like a different perspective or I don't know how to explain it.
All in all I think it's is pretty cool ;)

Wolfmeister1010
11-07-2013, 03:57 AM
the story is pretty cool. Since I suppose it's an 'Abstergo' game, I guess they are trying to show us like a different perspective or I don't know how to explain it.
All in all I think it's is pretty cool ;)

But this isnt about the modern day story. This is about Edward. What do you think of his story?

monteiro416
11-07-2013, 04:12 AM
I agree with all the points you made, but for me those flaws were worth more weight so I gave it a so-so rating. I didn't completely hate it because I did love the redemption bit, but like you said: it came way too late. Connor's story (which is still my favorite) just seemed to have more depth and left me reevaluating my own personal ideals. Edward's drive for money just wasn't enough for me. Perhaps I'd have given it a better rating if we played as changed Edward more, but the character development was just too quick and too late.

Wolfmeister1010
11-07-2013, 04:28 AM
I agree with all the points you made, but for me those flaws were worth more weight so I gave it a so-so rating. I didn't completely hate it because I did love the redemption bit, but like you said: it came way too late. Connor's story (which is still my favorite) just seemed to have more depth and left me reevaluating my own personal ideals. Edward's drive for money just wasn't enough for me. Perhaps I'd have given it a better rating if we played as changed Edward more, but the character development was just too quick and too late.

Yes. I think the main issues are the lack of assassins and the development of Edward happening too late and too rapidly

SleezeRocker
11-07-2013, 04:28 AM
But this isnt about the modern day story. This is about Edward. What do you think of his story?

Oh Cr! I misread the paragraph a bit. Im watching horror story coven while on here lol

Edward's story it is cool. I think thought it brought something a lil fresh on the table:

Even though he is not a Real Assassin, I liked his character progression throughout

Wolfmeister1010
11-07-2013, 04:31 AM
Oh Cr! I misread the paragraph a bit. Im watching horror story coven while on here lol

Edward's story it is cool. I think thought it brought something a lil fresh on the table:

Oh thats alright! Enjoy your show...or movie? (I dont know what horror story coven is)

SleezeRocker
11-07-2013, 04:36 AM
Oh thats alright! Enjoy your show...or movie? (I dont know what horror story coven is)
I filled in more to my last post.
it's this Halloween show that on over here on the channel FX. horror Story Coven is the 3rd season (starts in October and ends like in January I think) and it's theme is about withcraft vs voodoo.
It's Eerie yet...kind of cool at sametime, I know weird lol

xx-pyro
11-07-2013, 05:35 AM
The story was meh and the Templar cast was forgettable. Edward pretty much made the game and his progression was very satisfying to watch.

roostersrule2
11-07-2013, 07:51 AM
The story was meh and the Templar cast was forgettable. Edward pretty much made the game and his progression was very satisfying to watch.Agreed, I thought it was the weakest story in the series. Edward was a great character though.

Farlander1991
11-07-2013, 08:52 AM
Easily the best crafted story in the whole AC series so far. It's not entirely what I expected based on previews and interviews, and both AC1 and AC3 are way ahead on the philosophical front, but that doesn't make it any less well-crafted.

BATISTABUS
11-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Templar cast was forgettable.
While most of the Templars were forgettable, I thought Torres and Hornigold were really good. I especially enjoyed the conversation Torres had with Laurens Prins.

Farlander1991
11-07-2013, 09:11 AM
While most of the Templars were forgettable, I thought Torres and Hornigold were really good. I especially enjoyed the conversation Torres had with Laurens Prins.

Woodes Rogers was good too.

And Du Casse's French :D Julien is the least developed of the Templars (though, I guess that would be El Tiburon since that one's just a giant bunch of muscles that doesn't even talk, on the other hand he's Templar only because he's Torres' bodyguard).

ArabianFrost
11-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Well, for starters, take two things into consideration:, which are AC4's excuses to the mentioned flaws:

1) AC3 had 2.5 HOURS of cutscenes. AC4 had only 1.5 if I recall correctly, so there's less space for characters to develop

2)The cast of AC4 had a wider range of consistent "main" characters.

Now that that's said, let us talk about the flaws and the likes. Well, while a bit fast at first, I really like the first 3 sequences. They were really well-written and did greatly interest me in the events of the story. I absolutely loved those sequences.

Next we got into Edward's chase for the observatory in the next 2 sequences, which I felt was rather unfocused considering he was looking for the observatory along with a 1000 other tasks. It just felt like the story was unfocused at that point, as if it was trying to tell us an overhelming amount of plot in these 2 or 3 sequences what with the assassins and templars and all that. However, I enjoyed Mary Read throughout these sequences.

Suddenly, Nassau comes back and *blop* where's the observatory plot? Well, it's on hiatus. Why? Well, Thatch and Hornigold are having problems with Nassau and arguing whether or not it is viable to a rejuvenation, so we go to get the medecine to save Nassau and get it back on its feet, but WAIT, why the hell does Blackbeard suddenly lost faith in Nassau and said he wwanted to quit? Didn't he just fight Hornigold for Nassau's continuation? That's quite confusing knowing what intentions the characters have. Blackbeard's need for retirement is understood, but why did everyone suddenly lose faith in Nassau when 5 minutes ago they were fighting for it with their lives? Sure you can say selfishness, but it seemed a very abrupt change of mind. Still, Thatch was presented brilliantly and showed us all of his faces. Absolutely loved him.

Next we go to the Charles Vane, which had its ups and downs. I really liked the connection I started to develop with Vane. When you initially met Vane, he only had about 5 seconds of dialogue and anything up until his sequence was oretty much two insignificant to mention. That how horribly underdeveloped his character was. Omce you get to the Vane sequence and think he might develop, it all goes well, you see the more psychopathic, charismatic Vane, the one we wantd to see, but then Rackham happens and you're stranded on the island. That island killed whatever development Vane had and that wasn't even much over the course of 3 or 2 missions. He just died a weird ubrupt death over...oysters. it just seemed a very weird death and an even weurder death scene. He suddenly regained his sanity when Edward jumped him? Wut? It fekt very unsatisfying for his story to end like that.

Then the Black Roberts sequences come which I honestly thought were great. Black Roberts was an enjoyable character and his was a developed one unlike some others considering this isn't the first time we see him and the events had good pacing as well a single objective one more, the one we initially set for, the Observatory.

Fast forward and Edward's in prison, followed by Edward's escape then his drunk sequence afterwards and God almighty that gave me chills. It pretty much made Edward's character a thousand times better and "clearer" to us. Before our eyes we could all of Edward's struggles. It wasn't just fame and fortune that was his only concern. He was looking for recognition, respect, regaining his love of his life, all along watching his closest friends die. It really made me feel for Edward and how much of a complex character he is, definitely the most complex character in an AC game and thar is what makes him my favourite. A really solid set of memories that drunk sequence was.

Then we reach the final sequences which I quite liked. Again, they had a focused objective and better character interactions. And HEY! Assassins and Templars play a role, so that's always good.

If I were to boil down AC4's problems to a few, I'd say they were:

1-The plot's objective seems unfocused at times

2-Some characters are underdeveloped and had very little "screen" time, which played a part in making the characters as such. A great deal of characters, such a short time tk develop them all, but maybe we were just spoiled by AC3's 3 sequences Templar development, who knows.

3-Philosophy was watered down. All speeches pretty much go like that "You think the assassins are right? Nonthey aren't, now let me tell you why we maniacs want to have a crazy control scheme of the world". It was a step-down from AC3's speeches which showed the good that Templars were doing as well as criticising Connor himself. For God's sake, the pirates left the entire city of Nassau to rot in disease and no one cares to mention that?

That being said, I still did enjoy Edward. For the first half, he may have been a bit week, but he grows on you afterwards. Plot wise though, the game's plot is THE best. While AC3 had a problem of narrative gaining the priority over gameplay, AC4 had the problem of gameplay gaining priority over narrative. Maybe AC5 will successfully fill that gap.

Farlander1991
11-07-2013, 10:40 AM
WAIT, why the hell does Blackbeard suddenly lost faith in Nassau and said he wwanted to quit? Didn't he just fight Hornigold for Nassau's continuation?

I always found Blackbeard quitting Nassau reasonable. Yes, he fought Hornigold, but that was before he fought a huge galleon (we know that Blackbeard was not really into actually attacking and killing people) and laid siege on a city (which attracted more attention, obviously) and understood that to keep Nassau afloat that would have to be his life for a long time. His words about fourth/fifth decade also double as a realization.

He just died a weird ubrupt death over...oysters.

He didn't die.

You think the assassins are right?

They don't talk to Edward like he's an assassin, though. They talk to him like a pirate that brings, well, murder and mayhem as one of the Templars says, and they are right.

EaglePrince25
11-07-2013, 05:13 PM
I think Edward's story was excellently handled and managed to easily separate him from the previous protagonists.

luckyto
11-07-2013, 06:06 PM
I love all the side characters. They all continue to pop up in the story and make their presence known. I want to know more about them, and that's a good sign of interesting characters. Edward is an amazing protagonist. And I thought the "plot" was good enough to me. Edward had his plot, but got sucked into another one. But the real plot was his search for wealth and coming to grips with the man he truly was. See, Edward just wanted to be a man of respect and comfortable life with his wife. As a youth, he mistook that for "wealth." This was the story about him coming to grips with that desire. Everything else, even the Observatory, is just backdrop which pushes the story of the protagonist along.

1) AC3 had 2.5 HOURS of cutscenes. AC4 had only 1.5 if I recall correctly, so there's less space for characters to develop

Wow. Cool stat. I think it was for the better. More playing and less talking. I had noticed this early on in my playthrough that there was significantly shorter cutscenes, and I really think it works well.

1-The plot's objective seems unfocused at time

Typically, I would agree. But in this game, I actually think it serves the story and the world. I don't know about you, but I found it really hard to get from where one mission ended to my next mission start point without getting lost for two or three hours. This world just begs exploration and distraction. Such is the life of the pirate, one minute you are sailing along, the next you are battling a half dozen warships, the next you are raiding a smuggler cave, and the next you are passed out drunk in a haybale. Given that, it would seem awkward for missions to "pick up right where they left off." (And notice, the few times it was done, it was controlled.) And while it may feel a little unfocused, the life of a Pirate and even your gameplay is unfocused.

That was a problem I had with ACIII. The constant jumping in time or going from one mssion to the next that was "back to back" within the context of the story ... it all felt very disjointed. It's as if the cutscenes rarely meshed with what I had been doing with the character before I started the mission. They often seemed out of place.

ACIV chose an approach that is a little less focused and random, but allowed for the player to fill in the gaps however they chose while maintaining continuity. I thought it worked better.

While AC3 had a problem of narrative gaining the priority over gameplay, AC4 had the problem of gameplay gaining priority over narrative.

Yes, this. I preferred AC4's way myself.

silvermercy
11-07-2013, 06:08 PM
There's no option "I haven't played the game yet but I totally loved the spoilers" :)

pacmanate
11-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Agreed, I thought it was the weakest story in the series. Edward was a great character though.

Edward was a great character, to be honest what made Black Flag amazing for me was Edwards progression, the scope of side activities and also the mission design.